Type Public/Resort
The Champion Turf Club at St. James

Year Built 2000

Golf School Academy Yes - "St. James Golf Academy"

Bar

Clubhouse

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 Most Improved U.S. Golf Courses (2016 #23)

Rude

Course is in decent condition, greens are nice but as long as the woman checking in “guests” today is working there I’ll never play St James again. She was rude to me and the two guys I played with, all checked and dealt with her separately. In the 30 plus years I’ve been playing and hundreds of rounds I can truly say I’ve never been treated so rudely as today.

To St James Management, there are some people who should never be put out in front of customers, this lady is one of them. I ran a global customer service organization for over 30 years so I know a little something about service. The cart staff was very friendly, coming and going.

Wet but fun

Course was very wet, but we started at 6:45 am
Tee boxes not great shape, but greens were nice and fairly fast.
Friendly staff and reasonably priced.

Great drainage and layout

Love this course because it’s always pretty dry. Can’t say as much for some of the people that play there though. Had some real douche bags behind us

Nice Course

Great time, No one in front or behind. Course was in great shape.

Commented on 07/24/2020

Hi, u270751268. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time at The Champion Turf Club at St. James. We look forward to seeing you at the course soon for another 5-star experience!

Hidden gem

Course is in great shape even though area has experienced heavy rains each day. Greens are a little slower than usual but very receptive to shots.

Commented on 07/24/2020

Hi Calabar1. Thank you so much for the great review. We are glad you had an incredible time, and we hope to see you again soon! Thanks for choosing The Champion Turf Club at St. James.

Good experience

This course is plenty long and plays well. But when it rains there are too many paths are covered with water and many areas are too wet and covered with water. But when it is dry, it is a nice course to play on.

Commented on 07/24/2020

Hi abezing13. Thank you so much for the great review. We are glad you had an incredible time, and we hope to see you again soon! Thanks for choosing The Champion Turf Club at St. James.

Commented on 07/24/2020

Thank you for visiting us at The Champion Turf Club at St. James. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Nice course but wet!!

The course is a nice layout, but it doesn’t drain well. Get a little rain and it all turns into a swamp. Tough to play in wet conditions. Starter also needs some training. Was put with various groups and I didn’t get that resolved until the 4th hole. Almost impossible to find any rhythm today.

Commented on 07/24/2020

Thank you for reviewing us. We see you rated the course 3-stars. Feel free to comment on this review or reach out to the team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing The Champion Turf Club at St. James, and we hope to see you again soon.

The course is golfer friendly

Pace of play was great Greens were in good condition for summer play at 100 degrees. Still would recommend if never played.

Commented on 07/06/2020

While the course is in good condition for the summer and I enjoyed playing. It was a strange atmosphere as I was met with the starter being surprised that I had shown up to my tee time early. I planned on hitting some range balls before my round but was informed that the range was closed on tuesdays, no big deal, but when I went to the chipping/putting green there was a gentleman out hitting on the range. Not sure if he was doing it because he felt like it or what, but struck me as odd to see it. Before I got my cart I was met with profanity from individuals in the cart barn, now I don’t mind it but once again it was just odd Since it’s not something usually seen.

Overall, the course was great and I enjoyed playing here, but I wouldn’t pay more than the $15 hot deal offered by Golfnow.

Commented on 07/06/2020

Hi Carson0385. Thank you for taking the time to review the course. We take single star feedback very serious at our course. You are welcome to comment further or reach out to our team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing The Champion Turf Club at St. James.

Wide open layout

Enjoyed playing this course...and the wide open layout.

Commented on 07/06/2020

We are so happy you enjoyed your round, AHGuerrero! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Aston’s views

Pleasantly surprised with the conditions of fairways and greens. Staff was informative and friendly. Enjoyed my first round at this course. Definitely will be back.

Commented on 07/06/2020

We're glad you enjoyed your 5-star experience with us, Calabar1. Please comment or reach out to our team in the golf shop to let us know more about your round!

Fun challenging greens

The greens were nice and very fast. Overall course was in good shape. Pace of play was slow it was a 4.5 hour round.

Commented on 07/06/2020

Hi u246061897. We would love to hear more about your positive experience at our course. Please contact us at (772) 336-4653 to share with us your favorite part of your experience with us. Thanks for golfing at The Champion Turf Club at St. James!

Decent for price

Played with 3 friends this morning (6/13/20) around 9:30. Pulling up you load your own bags to the carts then go inside and check in/pay. (Covid related). Paid around $30 on golfnow.

*no food/drink cart!

Staff extremely friendly, maybe the friendliest I’ve come across recently. Range was good with lots of flags. Big chilling green with dozens of range balls to use. And decent little putting area.

Course itself wasn’t bad. Some soggy areas from rains and some really really thick rough in some areas. The greens were sandy, but surprisingly decent speed and roll and majority of the holes. Other than that the fairway is firm and tight but played well and the blue tee boxes were decent. Short course! The tips were like 6600 yards. Some white tee boxes were a good 50-100 yards in front of the blue tees.

All in all good course. I won the round against my buddies so can’t complain too much.

Commented on 06/19/2020

Commented on 06/19/2020

Hi u417591076. Thank you so much for the great review. We are glad you had an incredible time, and we hope to see you again soon! Thanks for choosing The Champion Turf Club at St. James.

Fort Pierce, Florida