French Lick Resort - The Pete Dye Course

French Lick Pete Dye Course at Dusk

Etched into the hilltops of the Hoosier National Forest is The Pete Dye Course at French Lick. On one of Indiana’s highest elevation points, featuring narrow, immaculate fairways and a variety of elevation changes amid its intense, rugged terrain. The course has gained national acclaim for its 40-mile panoramic views and has served as the site of the Senior PGA Championship, Senior LPGA Championship and the Big Ten Conference Championships in recent years. A robust 8,100 yards from the professional tees provides the signature Dye punch from vista to vista.
Scorecard for The Pete Dye Course
Gold M: 80.0/148 519 413 641 251 391 513 611 213 532 4084 391 456 529 208 575 383 301 518 657 4018 8102
Black M: 76.2/139 465 382 610 211 350 458 534 183 469 3662 378 429 430 181 504 359 220 465 626 3592 7254
Blue M: 73.3/135 420 369 554 191 345 397 500 170 410 3356 350 394 388 162 504 344 183 431 589 3345 6701
White M: 70.6/130 W: 76.9/130 360 328 501 165 340 387 480 155 360 3076 314 378 361 152 474 330 170 359 501 3039 6115
Silver M: 69.2/128 320 293 447 125 280 320 426 119 331 2661 275 336 323 120 404 266 117 300 460 2601 5262
Red M: 65.4/118 W: 70.5/120 314 289 442 122 271 315 421 111 326 2611 268 300 320 111 397 258 113 296 447 2510 5121

Year Built 2009
Architect Pete Dye (2009)

Carts Yes - included in green fee

Practice Hole Yes

Memorable

This round ranks top 10 all time for me. This was such a surreal experience. All of the contour changes and sites were amazing. It was pretty windy when we played, and the course is already hard as it is. The caddie that we had (Kyle Head) was second to none. Super knowledgeable about everything, had it not been for him, I could have shot a terrible round. The course was in MINT condition. As you can see by some of the photos, it is beautiful. The staff across the board was great. The food was amazing, highly recommend the filet for dinner! This is definitely a bucket list course and can't wait to come back!

Golf Channel

One of Dye's Most Demanding

Had an opportunity to play the Dye Course at French Lick Resort as part of a recent Golf Advisor Getaway to the south central Indiana classic.

The Dye course was designed to be intimidating from start to finish. The course is set atop a large hill above the resort and the views are spectacular. The course tips out at over 8,000 yds (we didn't play it anywhere near that far back) and includes visually intimidating and extremely tight tee shots, approach shots that require precision and greens that are undulating and and quick.

Each foursome is assigned a forecaddie and they are very useful. Randy helped us pick lines and more importantly, know the right place to miss. The Dye Course is a bear if you are out of position, but manageable if you keep it on correct sides of the trouble.

Overall, this is a stunner of a property and a perfect foil to the classic 1917 French Lick - Donald Ross Course only a few miles up the road.

Blown away

They treat you like a king from the moment you pull up. Forecaddies pair with you on the practice facility, cleaning you clubs, which I've never seen at a public facility. Course is spectacular, the views are breathtaking. The clubhouse is small but has everything you need and the food was great. Overall a memorable destination.

Sublime morning on an infamous test

The last time I was in French Lick, just prior to the Dye Course opening, a Hurricane blew through, wrecking havoc on this part of the Midwest just prior to the Valhalla Ryder Cup. So I suppose I was due for some idyllic weather this time around. That's just what we got, and our first-off tee time on the Dye Course in late-April blessed us with an incredible morning sunrise.

Well known as one of resort golf's toughest rounds, the Dye Course was really about as "gettable" of conditions as we'll ever get (I'm told it can blow up here - but we had no wind). And despite a few swing gags (Dye's always had my number off the tee) I was able to finish my round pretty strong - enough to leave with a few good memories of my game and not just good photos. Frankly, this is a distracting place to play because so many greens and tees have incredible backdrops. The course actually reminds me of Castle Stuart in that regard, so many green sites have infinity backdrops or incredible vantage points. We could have played in under 3 hours if it weren't for all of our picture-taking.

I don't love some of Pete Dye's stuff just because I prefer the shaping of holes to be a little more mellow. (I know, if he woke up one day with my career he'd jump out a window). But you can't argue with the course he managed to build on this elevated and severe site. He's always been a genius in terms of golf course construction, and this one's up there with any other in the Midwest. It's certainly fitting that a Dye design will be on some of Indiana's highest ground. The Hoosier-born genius certainly deserves a lofty place in this state and this game for many years to come.

f8af53e4-f56c-5568-bfec-709133e13614
TheDukeAZ623
Commented On 05/15/2017

What are some of your personal Dye favorites?

Amazing Course

I have been playing golf for over 50 years, and this course is probably the most beautiful track I have ever played. It is not cheap and a forecaddy is required, but it is worth every penny. The views are spectacular, the layout is unlike anything I have played and the conditioning of the course is second to none. It is a links course, so hazards are innumerable bunkers, narrow fairways, thick rough and areas of wild fescue and yarrow. The elevation changes are constant and the views are spectacular. The course features the second highest elevation in the state of Indiana.

The staff is incredibly friendly and our caddy was friendly and invaluable, especially in determining the line for tee shots. Stop for a bite to eat at the mansion on the outdoor patio and watch all the action on the first five holes from this lofty perch.

If you go with the stay and play package, choose the West Baden hotel. The atrium is awe inspiring, the spa and pool are first rate and the restaurants serve great food at reasonable prices. You can ride the shuttle or the tram over to the old hotel and casino.

Unbelievable

A Picture is worth a thousand words. Just take a look at the Pete Dye Course and you will see why. One of the most scenic courses you will ever play. Plenty of elevation change that will require some creativity and shot making. This is hands down one of the best golf resorts in the country. Well worth looking into for your next buddies trip !!

Breathtaking

Course played amazing and the views were absolutely breathtaking. Can't wait to come back

Bucket List - Highly Recommended

This course was an absolute beauty. Meticulously designed and expertly manicured. One of the best I have ever played. Highly Recommended.

Amazing Course All Around

This course was in great shape and I loved the layout. 100% recommend.

A midwest dream

I had the privilege to play the Pete Dye Course at French Lick on a chamber of commerce day this summer. The course took my breath away with the course character, scenic views and conditions. To be honest, I wasn't expecting this with my first round in the state of Indiana. If you're in the area, French Lick is worth the trip and the $ for a round that you'll remember for a long time, regardless of how you play.

I'm not sure if any course in the Midwest should cost more than $150-200 but it was a pretty spectacular round. It's hard to believe you're ever waiting on another group out here as it feels both expansive and isolating and so quiet. In some ways I liked it more than Whistling Straits, even though my score on both were a good 10-15 shots higher than my hcp. Fun weekend in the land of Larry Legend

Very difficult, but most memorable

Yes, the Pete Dye Course at French Lick Resort is very difficult and expensive to play, but after playing it three times, I'm starting to realize just how good this golf course is. What I found out this time around is that it really does make a difference which tees you play. In my group we had a higher handicap player, two single digits and a woman, and everyone of us had a good time. Was it tough? You bet, but playing it at the right yardage gave us a chance to post a respectable score. Yes, you have to hit the fairways out here, and you have to hit the right parts of them, otherwise the ball drifts into the rough. And once you find the rough, par is going to be difficult. Even from the fairways, the small targets on greens require precision, but as long as you set your scoring expectations lower than you would on a normal course, the successes here are extremely rewarding. It's also a course where you can remember every hole, every shot, and did I mention how stunning it is? No doubt, the Dye Course at French Lick is one of the most breathtaking courses in America, and it's perfectly maintained.

Indiana golf's favorite son Pete Dye in the home of Larry legend. Set on the highest point in the state it's a match made in heaven. That said I just liked the more traditional layout of the Ross. When I play courses I ask myself if I'd play it every day. This would be a tough loop. But I'm glad I saw it as it's clearly the most spectacular setting in this part of the Midwest.

They seem to keep the price high here because they don't want the course to be busy. It's an awesome place, but I can't think of another course in the state outside French Lick that even costs $100. The way I see it, you can burn through $300 on the tables in an evening so just don't gamble and play golf instead. If you don't want to pay it, it's fine just play the Ross which is really good itself.

Breathtakingly Beautiful

The course couldn't be more beautiful! This course was on my bucket list to play as I'd heard wonderful things about it. I'm glad I made the trip as the views were stunning and the course was in perfect shape. As noted below in other reviews, playing the correct tees will make your day even more enjoyable. The course is challenging but straightforward with little "tricks". I appreciate that from a design standpoint.

Worth the trip and then some

This golf course was exceptional on every level. A Dye classic that had an unbelievable look and feel. The green complexes varied with hole length with a great example being the 10th hole. A fairly short par 4 but with a tiny green that requires a precision approach or an extremely difficult up and down. I could not more strongly recommend this golf experience, and the two days of golf at the Dye and the Ross are a must play vacation for any golf traveler. Not to mention that the resort is fantastic and has so much character to it. Mix in some great meals, a little gambling, and maybe some spa enhancements for a vacation to remember.

Beautiful Course

Its breathtaking to see the surrounding areas from atop this course. Even more amazing that Pete Dye took the challenge that many said no to. You wont regret playing this especially of you are looking to cross of "bucket list" courses.

Request A Vacation Quote From French Lick Resort
Please provide your information below and a staff member at French Lick Resort will be in contact to help you start planning your travel.

Valid dates: Oct 11, 2018 - Aug 31, 2019