Type Private
Dark Gray 72 6503 yards 71.0 124
Silver 72 4995 yards 69.3 119
Scorecard for Ranch
Black M: 73.4/130 411 439 497 426 167 372 405 223 530 3470 495 153 464 297 413 388 588 248 405 3451 6921
Dark Gray M: 71.0/124 382 402 487 393 156 345 383 187 505 3240 470 142 435 286 392 373 572 225 368 3263 6503
Green M: 69.2/118 352 370 462 359 148 333 350 161 480 3015 441 134 388 270 368 358 552 200 346 3057 6072
White W: 71.7/121 320 347 438 324 128 305 290 125 437 2714 429 118 319 254 327 325 484 170 276 2702 5416
Silver W: 69.3/119 312 282 409 274 115 258 256 112 392 2410 400 107 312 247 322 299 464 161 273 2585 4995

Year Built 1997

10/10 Golf Course

We went on a golf trip and stayed on the property with 8 guys.

This course was fantastic. Period! It was in great shape, fantastic holes and a great mix of challenging but accommodating for 15+ handicappers in our group. Amazing green complexes.

Service and facilities are pretty no frills

Great condition, very interesting

The entire facility is top notch. Worked with a Mike Mathews, at Black Diamond, to arrange the Stay & Play.
Four guys and we had a 4 bedroom, 3 bath house that was perfect. The fourth bedroom was a small office, with a twin in it, but it worked very well. Mike was great to work with and very responsive.

The Quarry course was fun and very nice to play and then you reach holes 13-17 that essentially rim the quarry. That's when it becomes jaw dropping and extremely cool. The course was in tip top condition and the greens were fast and undulating.

I would HIGHLY recommend this facility.

Idaho Advisor

More than just a quarry course... but... that quarry!

From lush playing surfaces, and breathtaking quarry views, to Spanish moss clad trees and quick challenging greens; Black Diamond Ranch will not leave you wanting for atmosphere or golf. You don’t need the quarry holes for this track to be special, but they certainly don’t hurt.

From a golf perspective (playing from the tips) I was a little worried that the 7000+ yards and 73+ rating would be a bit much; however, other than being a little narrower than some of my drives in places, I only really found one hole should have been a serious challenge. Hitting into a 25+ mph wind, the par three 17th was positively menacing. Ironically, it was not my worst hole… that distinction goes to number 16, where a drive that was too good (penalty) and an approach that was way too bad (penalty #2) led to a triple. However with the wind, the 200+ yard tee shot on 17 was absolutely the most difficult shot to try to pull off on the course (especially for a guy with a natural baby fade on his longer irons).

All of the quarry holes are unique and challenging in their own way. With the afore mentioned wind, I was forced to hit a knockdown 2 iron off the elevated 15th tee box (fortunately this shot was just about perfect and left me with a wedge into the green and an easy par). Number 14 is an all-you-can-eat horseshoe of a par five in which I bit off about 10 yards more than I could chew… leaving me with a rather awkward second shot.

It’s easy to forget the country club feel of the first several holes once you play through the quarry; however, they are well laid out and fantastically maintained. Several of the holes have rather narrow landing areas and the thick vegetation around the fairways can lead to some interesting shots if you are a little off target. The good news is that most of these spots are still recoverable and likely won’t cost you more than a single stroke.

The Quarry course is another that I played on this trip that isn’t inundated with bunkers, but the traps that are present are placed very well and certainly in play. There is also very little water in play; however, the large pond on number 9 does offer a tempting risk/reward drive decision. It’s a par five that is reachable (albeit into a smallish protected green) if you clear the water… obvious problems exist if you come up short (I didn’t try).

I’ve read about some issues with staff and members; I did not experience any of these problems. I was welcomed and have a delightful conversation with the starter and the head pro after my round. There was a little confusion at the beginning of my round about who I was and why I was there, but it was straightened out in relatively short order (and could have been helped by my introducing myself better).

Overall my experience at Black Diamond Ranch was great and I’d certainly give it another whirl if I were back in the area again.

Wow!

We had the opportunity to play Black Diamond Ranch without having to stay there, so we chose to make the 1.5hr drive from Orlando to play. Of course, we chose to play Quarry course for the famous 5 holes. A bit pricey, especially with the USD/CAD exchange rate right now.

It was a bit breezy, so it made a challenging course a little more difficult, especially the long par 3s. The left waste bunker on the 2nd hole had a pool of water, so some grading required to get rid of that water. The other bunkers we experienced had a thin layer of fluffy sand and then dense sand only about an inch below. We don't know when it rained last.

The rest of the course was in amazing conditions. Fast greens, rolled true, great!

Absolutely Amazing

Wife booked us a stay and play package here. I was a bit worried due to previous reviews regarding members being rude to guests, but this was not my experience at all. We were required to play with a forecaddie, which I was also worried about. However, he (Jeff Fox) was awesome and I actually preferred playing with him. Was very friendly and helpful, even helped improve my game while I was there. Course is difficult but a ton of fun. Course conditions were absolutely immaculate. Greens were super tough, but enjoyable. I will definitely be back.

Doesn't get any better

What a golf course!!! Had a stay and play over the weekend and couldn't have asked for a better time. This course is truly special.
One of the most difficult courses I've ever played due to the greens running 13.5! What a tremendous test.
Bill Hardin the membership director was there to greet us when we arrived at Course. Staff in the pro shop was top notch.
You must get a forecaddie when doing a stay and play and we got paired with guy named Peter. Great caddy and even better dude. Wouldsay to anybody....if you get a chance to play this golf club, you must take it!
I've read prior reviews and not sure why people say the members aren't nice. Everybody says hi and waves to you on the course.
Food is outstanding. House was amazing with your own little pool.
I will definately be back just because of the speed of the greens. What a fun day!

12753dc1-de64-53c6-aaae-035c08cbb697
BlackDiamondFL
Commented On 12/15/2016

Thank you for the great review! Glad you enjoyed your time here.

Nice Courses/Poor Service and Hospitality

Played the Quarry and Ranch Courses. Quarry is what they say - Beautiful and challenging. No other views like it in Florida. Ranch Course was a bit more challenging than the Quarry
Black Diamond is a private course and we were there on as a guests. Between the rude and unhelpful Head Golf Pro and his staff and the disrespect and nasty comments we got from the members while on "THEIR" courses, my friends and I will not be back.
The club staff needs some hospitality training too. They were not very knowledgeable. Food was just okay, nothing to brag about. Seemed to be short staffed.
Courses were great, but the overall experience was terrible. They don't want outside play, but they will take your money.

Cmatt1978
Would love it if you could find the time to contact us to make this right. Please call me directly at 352.746.3440, or email me at tkilburn@blackdiamondranch.com.

Nice course. Outsiders. It welcome

Had a guy's trip here this year. The quarry course is unlike others. A really nice experience.

Unfortunately the club seems to be in quite a conflict. It is exclusive, and the members and staff do not like the stay-and-play function allowed.

It was clear that we were not one of them, and not welcome.

I have been going on a golf trip many years now and can say that my group had never been treated worse.

If it's one round, it's worst it.

If you are planning on a golf trip - don't bother.

Tommy,
Thank you for choosing our Magnificent Quarry Course. We would love to speak to you regarding the rest of your experience. Please contact me directly.
Membership Director

Simply stunning, especially the quarry holes

You have to stay there to play there (or know a member), but it's well worth the effort. Terrific conditioning combined with a great Tom Fazio layout make this one of the best courses in Florida. The quarry holes -- 13-through-17 are nothing less than stunning, and the Tif-Eagle greens are among the best you'll play anywhere. Some members and even the pros say they prefer the other courses at Black Diamond, but I think it's hard to beat the Quarry Course.

Awesome course, horrible people

If it weren't for the course and the practice facilities being totally top-notch I wouldn't consider going back. A group of members attempted to kick us off the course incorrectly thinking we jumped in front of them without even talking to us first. The ranger, who sent us off by the way, assumed the members were right and wasn't courteous enough to ask weather we had or hadn't.. Once that debacle was diffused, I was allowed to purchase food and drinks with a non-member surcharge around 12% higher than the menu price. Never once in my years of golfing at some of the nicest courses in the country have I been asked to pay more for F and B than the menu price. Food was mediocre, too. But the golf course was superb and the views are wonderful. I'll go back.

Commented On 07/17/2017

Our apologies if you were subject to anything but proper golf etiquette by our members. We would love to have you back! If and when you choose to make your next reservation, contact me directly and lunch for up to 4 people is on us along with a free round of golf.

QUARRY COURSE SPOILS YOU FOR OTHER COURSES

The 18-hole layout is in excellent condition and would be a treat to play even without the 3 or 4 holes that were carved out of a quarry. Add those holes and you have a truly unique golfing experience in Florida. . Expensive .

Commented On 07/17/2017

We are so pleased that you enjoyed our Exclusive 45 holes.

Looking forward to making your next experience with us even better!

The best 5 consecutive holes in golf

The 5 quarry holes are the best consecutives holes in golf visually and challenging

Commented On 07/17/2017

Care to be challenged again? :)

Valid dates: Jun 25, 2019 - Dec 31, 2019
TPC San Antonio offers you the chance to play two championship golf courses that have hosted several PGA TOUR and PGA TOUR Champions events and is home to several PGA TOUR pros.
Texas Tees Package
Lone Star Stay & Play at TPC San Antonio
TPC Las Vegas Summer Special
Championship Package at TPC Sawgrass
Latest Articles
Metro Detroit's best public courses
Articles
Golf tournament pro-ams: a primer
Articles
The days I fell in love with golf (a Cool Golf Memory)