2.3
2.4
2.4

Fox Hopyard Golf Club

Year Built 2001
Architect Roger Rulewich (2001)

Carts Yes - included in green fee

Practice Hole Yes

Credit Cards Accepted Major credit cards are accepted.
Dress code Not permitted: silk screened tee shirts, shirts without sleeves for men, tank tops, tennis lengthed shorts, gym shorts, cut offs, blue jeans and inappropriate footwear.

Restaurant

Available Sports

Tennis

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Connecticut (2019 #10) (2018 #1)
  • Golf Advisor: Golfers' Choice (2018 #24)
  • Golf Advisor: Top Courses in New England (2016 #25)

Great layout but lousy conditions

First time playing course. Checked in at Pro Shop and was told 4 greens were temporary and given a $25 voucher that was good til July 2021 ( and a few more should have been temporary because they were in rough shape. ) I drove 90 minutes to meet my son for a round a golf ( he drove 45 min ). Love the layout but conditions were lousy. Wish they had told me when I made my reservation over the phone. I would recommend this course but not in these conditions

Commented on 09/21/2020

Hi, Jameskeating07! Thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is important to us. Please know the current conditions are by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We will continue to work towards a 5-star experience and we hope to see you back!

Absolutely terrible conditions right now.

I really like the layout of this course and I try to play there every year when I get a chance. Unfortunately the rough weather of the Northeast this year has really really made an impact on the conditions of this course. They had completely re-turfed a few of the aprons around the greens and you can see they were trying to make an effort there. However many of the greens had patches where it was not just burnt out, but it was actual dirt spots on the greens. There was a few temporary greens set up in front of the real greens where they were returfing the entire greens as well. I hate to be the guy who writes a terrible review about a course, but I also feel that fellow golfers should hear the truth. I would wait until next year before I play here again. They did give us a $25 off voucher for our next visit, so I have to give them credit for that.

Commented on 09/21/2020

Hello, DavidBava. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars. We have projects underway to recover the tee boxes, fairways, greens, and sandtraps. We hope you'll bear with us through this transition and give us another try in the near future. Thanks for choosing Fox Hopyard Golf Club.

Magnificent Golf Course

First time playing this course. The layout is absolutely magnificent. The course is undergoing some renovations and staff provided a $25 credit because of this. Aside from the inconvenience of the renovations , this is a top notch facility. Also loved the carts with luxury bucket seats.

Commented on 09/17/2020

Hi Tlynch. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Fox Hopyard Golf Club.

Disappointed

This was my first time playing this course and I had high expectations based on the course's' reputation, While the course design/layout was excellent, the course condition was not. The greens and tee boxes were in really sad shape with four holes having temporary greens and no mention of this fact was made at check-in time. My low rating of the "pace of play" was based on the fact that two groups were allowed to cut-in on the 10th hole. I played the course for free using an old Golfnow monthly reward, but I would have been really disappointed if I payed full price. My advice would be to avoid this course until next year.

Commented on 09/14/2020

Hello, u549672748. Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We see you rated the course 2-stars and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit. We take customer feedback very seriously at our course. Please reach out to our team in the golf shop and tell us what's on your mind. Thank you for playing Fox Hopyard Golf Club.

Was either my favorite or second favorite course in CT.

Aerated greens would look like Augusta next to these. Can't believe there wasn't a disclaimer on the conditions. They actually used a sod cutter to take away much of the green on the first several holes. They basically created 5-6 foot halos on the edges of the greens with no grass and only dirt. Several other parts of the greens had died and turned black. Several tees had some type of issue also. As if they were never in the sun and the grass couldn't grow. I was really looking forward to playing after years away, and it was such a disappointment.

Commented on 09/14/2020

Hi, fangmeky. Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. Your feedback about the course is important to us. We are working to get everything up to par. We have projects ongoing to recover the fairways and greens. The current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game, and we will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing Fox Hopyard Golf Club. We hope to see you again soon.

Gross greens, absent staff

When you see this $100 hotdeal, don't expect a $100 course. Range had free balls, but greens were attacked by fungus making a large part of the course in poor condition. Fairways were navigable by creating better lies but greens were generally unacceptable. Staff was indifferent to pace of play and tee times. When I went to the tee box where I expected two other players there was no one, but by the second hole pace of play was so slow that we waited on nearly every hole over the 18 with no intervention by passing staff. I wasn't really sure what to make of this experience, slightly miffed, but enjoyed the layout, but not worth as much as the advertised price.

Commented on 09/16/2020

Hi, Raprack73. Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. Your feedback about the course is important to us. We are working to get everything up to par. We have projects ongoing to recover the fairways and greens. The current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game, and we will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing Fox Hopyard Golf Club. We hope to see you again soon.

Commented on 09/21/2020

Hi donnamoss1. Thank you so much for the great review. We are glad you had an incredible time, and we hope to see you again soon! Thanks for choosing Fox Hopyard Golf Club.

Poor greens

The greens are so bad it’s like playing on alligators skin on a few holes. They need to fix it for the price it should be cheaper nice layout every hole is different . Wish I took more pics of the greens!

Commented on 09/09/2020

Hello, edwlath. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars. We have projects underway to recover the tee boxes, fairways, greens, and sandtraps. We hope you'll bear with us through this transition and give us another try in the near future. Thanks for choosing Fox Hopyard Golf Club.

Disappointing!!!!!!

I have played this course twice in the past 6 weeks and it was not as good as it normally is when we played it six weeks ago, but today it was just horrendous. 80% of the tee boxes and greens were in terrible shape and some of the greens were just impossible to putt on. The starter was just not a pleasant person and did not grasp the concept of the job he was given. Pace of play was just awful and it was in part because of how the groups were allowed to go out. For the amount they are charging for greens fees, I would expect way more than what we received. It is a shame that this course is in the condition it is in, extremely disappointed.

Commented on 09/21/2020

Hi, woodyi77. Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. Your feedback about the course is important to us. We are working to get everything up to par. We have projects ongoing to recover the fairways and greens. The current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We would also like to apologize for the poor pace of play during your round. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game, and we will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing Fox Hopyard Golf Club. We hope to see you again soon.

Over all great experience

From check in to the 18th green, this is a top notch course. It is equal to Lake of Isles! The carts are so nice and new. Pace of play was really good. The course was in great shape with the exception of 3 greens had alligator scales because they lost power for extended time due to the hurricane we had last month and had no water.

Commented on 09/08/2020

u00000941358, thank you for your kind words! We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and we want to let you know that we do have ongoing projects to recover the greens so everything is up to par before your next round! We hope to see you again at the course very soon for another 5-star experience. Thanks for choosing Fox Hopyard Golf Club.

Storm Remnants

The greens were in abominable shape and difficult to putt over. I have played here before and the conditions had been terrific.
It seems that the storm created a 6 day lack of watering that caused such poor conditions of large dry patches with no grass on small parts numerous greens- as told to me by one of the employees.
The layout is beautiful and the holes are picturesque. Whoever put out the red tees today "were on drugs!" None of them were pointed correctly to the hole!

Commented on 09/09/2020

Hi, longviewlady! Thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is important to us. Please know the current conditions are by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We will continue to work towards a 5-star experience and we hope to see you back!

Commented on 09/08/2020

Hello, markgeronimo. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars, but we hope you'll give us another try in the near future.

Disappointed in conditions

Our group has played Fox Hopyard annually over the last 7-8 years. We were extremely disappointed in the conditions of the course on 9/10/2020. We played one of our major championship tournaments at your course. Of all the years, we have played the course, we were very disappointed in the condition of the course yesterday. We play Fox Hopyard because of the challenge and historically, the good condition. Simply put, the conditions yesterday were bad. I appreciate the challenges of maintaining a course during dry, almost drought conditions, and every course is different, however, yesterday’s course conditions were probably the worst we have seen this season of the many courses we play.

My comments are intended in good spirit as we have had good experiences at Fox Hopyard in the past. I trust you will agree there were more than a few challenging/dry/burned areas throughout the course from tee to fairway to green. A lesson learned for all: perhaps marking the course throughout as ground under repair or informing golfers as they check in that dry conditions has created multiple areas of ground under repair and players should treat all areas as such. Had I known the conditions of the course, I would instituted the same for our tournament, which may have created a better experience for our group.

Commented on 09/21/2020

Hi, u000006000428. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We understand your frustration with the current conditions. We do have recovery projects underway. Please bear with us as we work diligently to make improvements. We hope you'll give us another try in the future. Thanks for choosing Fox Hopyard Golf Club.

Save your money, hope it comes back some day

Could not believe how bad the course was. The greens were so chewed up and destroyed. The only nice green was 18. The fairways were even worse. Tee boxes were ok. The pace of play was like 5 hrs. Pretty sad how such a great course can go down hill so quickly. We drove up from Stamford and have played the course like 10 or 12 times over the years. The course looks like it has covid.

Commented on 09/21/2020

Hi, rmerturi. Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. Your feedback about the course is important to us. We are working to get everything up to par. We have projects ongoing to recover the fairways and greens. The current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game, and we will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing Fox Hopyard Golf Club. We hope to see you again soon.

Not Good

In the span of 2 months the golf course has essentially died. Current conditions are some of the worst I’ve seen anywhere in years.

On the front 9 there are maybe 2 greens where you can put a decent roll on the ball, otherwise you’re putting through dirt and mud.

Walked off after 9.

Commented on 09/21/2020

Hi, njRqOZafVwpo8j9h476G. Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. Your feedback about the course is important to us. We are working to get everything up to par. We have projects ongoing to recover the fairways and greens. The current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game, and we will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing Fox Hopyard Golf Club. We hope to see you again soon.

The Worse Condition

Sadly this course is terrible condition. Don’t play it until next year.

Commented on 09/08/2020

Hi, u000006022836. Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. Your feedback about the course is important to us. We are working to get everything up to par. We have projects ongoing to recover the fairways and greens. The current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game, and we will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing Fox Hopyard Golf Club. We hope to see you again soon.

Sad situation at this course

Our 4-some booked our tee time for 10:15, but they were running about 20 minutes behind, so they asked us to tee off the back 9. No big deal since you have to play those holes anyway. The conditions at the course were the worst we've seen in Connecticut all year. We play many public courses all over the state, but this was in very sad shape. Lots of burn out, fairways and greens were in awful condition. Not worth the money. We did look forward to dinner and sitting on the patio, but it didn't open till 4:00 even though they had a full tee sheet all day. Not good. Many disappointed players. We realize the weather has been extremely dry this year. so course conditions suffer.... but open your restaurant guys!
open till

Commented on 09/21/2020

Hello, imgolfr2. Thanks for the review. We would like to apologize for the current course conditions. Our staff is working diligently to recover greens, fairways, and sand traps. We appreciate your patience as we make these improvements. We always appreciate the feedback and hope that you'll give us another try in the future. Thank you for playing Fox Hopyard Golf Club.

A Sublime Experience

I was lucky enough to play here in a tournament for work. I had wanted to play here since I moved to CT ~2 years ago, but hadn’t gotten around to it yet. Many people had told me this was an absolute gem. I had read some negative reviews online leading up to playing here, but was still excited nonetheless.

After our round today, I can only say that the negative reviews are nitpicking at best. I had an excellent afternoon, and even in the rain, the conditions were great. I would like to thank the staff for the awesome experience we had, especially since it was everyone in our groups first time playing here. Very accommodating and definitely worth playing here. The classic New England scenery and course layout is top notch. Will be back for sure.

Commented on 09/06/2020

Nitpicking? You are crazy.
When i pay $100+ for a round of golf I expect much better than what I got playing here a couple of weeks ago. This place was literally in the worst condition of any course I have played in years.

Commented on 09/03/2020

Hello, ScottMun. We appreciate you leaving a review and rating us 5 stars. We're delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the course. We work hard to provide an exceptional experience, and it's very satisfying to hear from golfers like you who appreciate our efforts. We will inform the entire team so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back Fox Hopyard Golf Club!

what happened?

played monday 8/31/2020 friends took off from work as they had never played there. what a nightmare! Had to play the back nine twice, and course is in rough shape. Used to be an elite place to play, but what happened? Greens used to be fast and near perfect but not anymore. SAD ! They gave us a break ($5 off, haha)

Commented on 09/02/2020

Hi, DRGOLFER167. Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. Your feedback about the course is important to us. We are working to get everything up to par. We have projects ongoing to recover the fairways and greens. The current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game, and we will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing Fox Hopyard Golf Club. We hope to see you again soon.

Deep River Center, Connecticut