The 18th hole of the Westin La Cantera's Palmer Course features a dramatic shot downhill to the green protected by water.

The Palmer Course is one of two golf courses at La Cantera Resort, it is named after its famous designer, golf legend Arnold Palmer. Firmly situated on 225 acres of Texas Hill Country, the golf course features plenty of elevation changes to keep golfers on their toes. There is also an abundance of mature oaks covering the course, requiring accuracy off the tees. The unique layout incorporates dramatic waterfalls, lakes, and numerous white sand bunkers throughout. La Cantera Resort’s Palmer Course has several signature holes, most notably the fourth hole. This demanding par 3 requires a long carry over a lake with waterfalls along the front of the green.

La Cantera Golf Club - Palmer Course

Year Built 2001
Architect Arnold Palmer (2001) Ed Seay (2001)

Golf School Academy Yes - "The Academy at La Cantera"

Beautiful layout

A little cold to start with, but weather got better. Great layout (Palmer course) with a lot of blind shots. Greens were true but very slow. Need to play this course a couple of times to play your best . Beautiful course and I would recommend this to anyone coming to San Antonio.

Foggy Day at the Palmer

Excellent time finding our way around this difficult course with fog so thick you could not see more than about 100 yards. Great course with interesting holes and beautiful vistas. Great lunch after in the bar and great service all around.

Tough but fun.

Course is beautiful, very challenging but rewarding. Lots of elevation changes and blind shots. As long as you hit it straight you'll be fine. My only complaint is that we were asked to pick up the pace on the back nine. Only thing is we were waiting on the group in front of us most of the day. I felt like we were being picked on. Other than that no issues with this place. I will definitely be playing the again.

Cool morning for golf

It was pretty cool this morning. We started on the back nine as more sun there to warm up the course. I was moved up to another time which was great. We finished in just under 4 hours after a brief wait on number 1, our 10th hole. The course is in decent shape although the bunkers need work. They were quite compacted with very little sand in the bottom. I was lucky never hitting one but my partners really struggled getting under the ball. T boxes were in good shape as were the greens. The greens were very challenging to figure out. I think I had more 3 putts today than in my last 4 rounds. The grain really pulled the ball and I never really got comfortable with line and speed. Fairways were in good shape, hard and fast.
An interesting layout with a lot of blind t shots, more than I am used to. Would like to play again as it would help with deciding what to hit and where.
Staff were excellent in all areas .

Must Play in San Antonio

Course is fantastic and beautiful layout. Low handicapper they enjoyed the back tees. Challenging course.

WOW!!

Absolutely beautiful views!
The course was in fantastic condition!
My only suggestion is to have more than one person running snacks.
Snack shop was closed cuz the girl was on the course in the beverage cart.

Other than that, amazing track!

Can not wait to come back!

Could be better

Beautiful new carts, nice greens. Zero sand in traps. Please put some sand in the traps.

To The Palmer Course; I'll be back.

Weather didn't exactly cooperate. Mid to high 40's and gusty winds. Course was in very good condition for late November. Greens were exceptional. Definitely will play again during next years trip to San Antonio.

One of the most scenic course around.

If you love golf and want to experience the hill country of San Antonio, then The Palmer course at the La Cantera Resort is the place to go. Simply put it is one of the most scenic golf courses in the world. The staff will make you feel right at home like you own the course. It is an experience you won’t forget.

Nice view

It was a awesome to play at Palmer course La Cantera because of Hill country views. Beautiful layout course. I would definitely recommend it.

Missouri Advisor

I liked better than TPC

Actually played this course in November 2018.... Due to reviews had a hard time picking between the Palmer and resort course.... but chose the Palmer. It was a nice course with a lot of fun and challenging holes. Several blind shots that playing with a member would've helped.... Good views from several holes. Pace of play was pretty slow but I was in no hurry so it was all good. I played the TPC course the next day and actually liked this course better for way less money.

I booked a foursome for 18 holes. we got there and was told the back 9 was under construction and we only booked 9 holes.We could play the front 9 twice if we paid another $20.00 on top of the $50.00 we already paid. perhaps my mistake but the website was very confusing. On hold forever when trying to rectify with your customer service department.. Not happy! reconsidering renewing our contract.

Texas Advisor

Difficult but stunning layout in the Texas Hill Country

After being met by the the stunning clubhouse, one looks out into a valley at the ninth and eighteenth greens. The first thing you notice is how hilly these two holes are.

I was prewarned about the difficulty of the course, and I can see how this course earned that reputation. While not overly long, the course requires accuracy off the tee (driver not necessarily required). A ball off the fairway is pretty much gone. I played on quite a benign day. It was sunny without much wind and the greens were true but moderately paced. Sadly my game was not up to scratch but I appreciated the vistas, and the layout.

My favourite hole was the par 5 16th, from the tee you can see the clubhouse, as you assess the twisting fairway ahead of you.

The 18th hole is a truly difficult hole, it requires a driver and a longish iron into a green surrounded by bunkers and water right. Keep it straight.

I’m looking forward to going there again with some better game.

Tough course for an amateur

Course was well kept. Had one of the toughest greens.

Best Course in town!

I had the pleasure of playing the Palmer Course which was challenging but very fun. Palmer design this course for golfers just like him that ball flight goes from left to right so most of the fairways you have a lot of forgiveness on the right side. I played this course on Friday and had so much fun I ended up coming back on Sunday. the entire staff was extremely friendly and made me feel welcomed as if I was at home I will definitely be back and will definitely recommend this course to anyone looking to have fun!

Disappointed

The Resort Course is much nicer, and better maintained. If I could say anything I would say if the resort course had the greens from the Palmer course it would be a perfect course. It’s a shame that a course designed by Arnold Palmer gets neglected like this. The fairways are rock hard, with dead spots of grass all over, one of the Tee boxes was covered in crab grass, the bunkers were mostly hard packed sand. I hate to say it but The Quarry is in MUCH better shape than the Palmer Course. Kind of sad when this is supposed to be a fancy resort course. If you play at La Cantera don’t waste your money on this one. Go play the Resort Course instead.

Nice experience

First time user of this app and it all worked out great. They put me in the first group and we were a three some. As such, we finished in just over 3 hours. Staff is ver nice. Range only allows irons which was disappointing. Most of the course is very challenging but fair. The rough is deceptively thick and will grab your clubs. Not a problem if you stay in the fairway!!

Several of the greens were pretty scarred which was also disappointing. They were not even fair to put on.

Overall it was a good time. I would like to come back in the Fall when the heat is not a factor..

Greens are rough and 0 sand in bunkers

Honestly not worth the cost due to bunkers and greens

Valid dates: Mar 06, 2020 - May 06, 2020
Talamore’s Spring Signature Package (2 Nights / 3 Rounds), starting at $325 per person.