Mid South Club

"Very Nice"

poppop3's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/15/2018
Used cart Perfect weather

Very nice, GREAT CONDITION tee to green (very nice greens) Friendly experience, top notch facilty.

"After renovation, certainly one of the best in the Sandhills"

MikeBaileyGA's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/18/2017

I expected Mid South to be pretty good, but quite honestly, this exceeded my expectations. First off, it's in perfect shape following the reopening in September after new Champion Bermuda greens were installed. The new greens recovered lost greens surface, but more than that, they rolled and looked perfect. As for the rest of the course, it was flawless as well, but even more importantly, this is a really fun course to play. Each hole has its own identity, there's plenty of water and bunkers that come into play, and the course has more than its share of signature holes. The par-4 16th, with water off the tee and the approach, is one of the best, but I also liked the preceding par 5 as well as the finishing holes on both nines that share a common green.

"Excellent Course"

Buckshot54's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/07/2017

Brilliant course! Loved every hole, especially with the new greens! New clubhouse and amenities will take Mid-South to the next level. Highly recommended.

"Too slow"

kiawah123's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/03/2017

Great layout. Many interesting holes. Finishing holes excellent. With upcoming new greens should be a superstar except for pace of play! VERY slow round with ineffective rangers and no attempt to correct pace. 5 to 6 hour round.

"Changes"

macpenn's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/09/2017

Our two foursomes played this on Sunday morning; a 5 hour round. Three foursomes standing on the 5th tee, two more in play on the hole. Marshall assured us the problem was temporary . 2:40 to the turn and the starter thanked us for keeping up the pAce of play! A little better on the back, 2:20. Greens are being replaced in June so I would not pay to play here until at least September

"Not a good value"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/02/2017

$ 135 is just too much money for this clubhouse, and this course. Nothing terribly wrong with either, just they are very average and not worth that high cost.

I would pay $80 to play there but never again pay $ 135

"Awesome place"

jwhittster's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/03/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Played this course a hundred times and still one of my favorites. Went on a golf trip with friends and they all loved the layout. Arnold Palmer at his best. Fair landing areas for your drives and big green surfaces. Always in great shape. Every hole is completely different that the one before. Unique use of the sandhills of NC. Go play, you won't be disappointed. I'm going back this weekend :)

"Love this course"

mikefromde11's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/10/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I am not a member of this club. Contrary to some others comments, we were greeted very graciously at the bag drop by an attentive, helpful person. The guy behind the counter in the pro shop was even nicer and very helpful. The young man in the grill was also very nice. The service was excellent.

The course layout is fantastic--very interesting holes with challenges everywhere. It was very playable and fair. The tee boxes, fairways, and rough were in very good shape. The greens need some work. They were recently aerated (a couple weeks I would guess) but they ran very true. Yes, there were some bad spots and the overall look of the greens isn't the best, but they ran true and broke appropriately. They should put some more work in this area.

Having said all this, I would definitely return to this course. The views were great, the challenges fair, and we had a great day of golf.

"It could be so much better"

locolobo's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/23/2015
Previously played Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Average weather

Another course in the Pinehurst area with greens that are dragging the course down. More disease and dead spots than you should have to deal with at these prices. Rumors of greens being updated to one of the newer bermuda blend grasses would be a great improvement. Send the staff some smiles and personalities !

Quality of food & beverage: Fair

"Has clearly gone downhill...I'm done"

fowlhunter's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/17/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Reviewed this course a year ago. Undoubtedly a very fine layout, as I said last year (nothing changed in that regard!). But the greens are clearly below average: slow and in very poor condition. Rumors in the area suggest that the place is having serious financial challenges and can't invest $ to get the greens improved. But what annoyed me most about this last outing was that the people in the pro shop said with a straight face that the place was in excellent shape, greens included. I deliberately asked about this the day before we played knowing of our issue last year. And then after the round, this was discussed with them, and the fancy footwork was nauseating...these people simply have no credibility. I would recommend only if they were offering a money back guarantee.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"July Golf Trip Mid South."

jbucchin's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/03/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Poor weather

Tee to Green this course was in great shape. Greens were good but a little hairy(lot's of rain and had not been cut), fairways were very nice. Hard to tell about the traps as we endured 3 separate rain delay's during our Round. As much rain as we had the course drained very well.<br/> Staff was pleasant and we had zero problems contrary to previous reviews. The Bar and Grill was mediocre at best and service there was average.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Totally disorganized and rude"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/02/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

We were treated very poorly by the front office staff to the on course staff. Very disorganized, bumped from our tee time that was reserved for weeks by members showing up unannouced (told this by starter), told us that they would ensure a 4:20 round and it was almost 50 minutes longer, when we wanted to book a replay before starting was told lots of spots available, but when were were sent to starter after first round he told us we would have to wait 2 hours, so we had to ask for refund. They really do not want visitors play so they should just not accept them. Other 8 days in Pinehurst were an absolute pleasure. Don't waste you time and money here.

"GREAT!"

strohmoose007's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/10/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

A great Arnold Palmer design. It used to be named Pinehurst Plantation until the Pinehurst folks got their panties in bunch! It doesn't matter as it is one of the best courses in the Pinehurst area...better than 1, 2 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8. These will have change their names when the Numbers family gets PO'd.

My choice as number one!

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Who said golf was a service industry?"

mhumes's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/20/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

First time playing at @mid-south, and they forgot that golf was part of the service industry. We showed up about 45 minutes before our tee times (first ones out), and the club house and the range were closed. My local muni has the club house open before sun up to accommodate the first ones out. Constantly hounded to play faster. And I quote, "My boss is going to yell at me if you don't play faster". Course and layout were great, but it seems they just want non-members there to cover their expenses. Maybe they could get more members with an attitude improvement course. Carolina golf is awesome and the other courses were more than accommodating. We were last tee times out at Dormie, and club pro stood in as bartender so we could have a few while the last groups came in. Guess who will get our business next time.

Quality of food & beverage: Poor

"Not a member do not play"

davejoice's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/20/2014

Our group of 20-24 guys go on an annual golf trip. This is our third trip to NC and also our third and final golf outing to Midsouth. I understand this is a private course offering some tee times to non-members. However, we were treated with no respect and no common courtesy. On the first hole, after the group cleared the fairway we walk to the tee box and the ranger states we are 5 minutes behind pace. Really? He follows us for the next 8 holes each time stating we are behind by 5-7 minutes. Stating he has members teeing off behind our group. On hole 8 he states we should move up a tee, however we are keeping up with the group playing ahead of us. The average golfer in our group of 20 has an average handicap of 6 and we were already playing up 1 tee box. This course is for members only, if your not a member you are treated with no respect. If there course is doing so well why are they allowing outsiders to contribute to their course. I would recommend going to the dormie club or the National where you are treated with open arms. To quote a member of the Dormie Club "we are so glad you picked our course, hope you enjoy it and please come back." #golfisaserviceindustry

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Why you shouldn't consider playing Mid South"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/20/2014

This was our third time playing Mid South and their staff and marshals are without a doubt rude. We haven't even teed off yet and were being told by the marshals were 6 minutes behind the group in front of us. Every two holes were seeing the marshals telling us to speed up and catch the group in front of us. We're not the ones who showed up late and unprepared for golfers.

This wasn't an isolated incident either. We've experienced this kind of service level before from Mid South. We played the front 9 in less than 2 hours and on #10 the marshal told us to catch up with our group in front of us. WE PLAYED IN UNDER 2 HOURS ON THE FRONT NINE 1:55 TO BE EXACT.

Mid South wants the money from outside play, but are extremely rude and inconsiderate to outside guests. If you want to be treated like your money is no good and you do not belong Mid South is a perfect golf course for you.

Our group will never return to Mid South which is unfortunate because the golf course is really nice, but the staff and services leave it less than desirable to play again.

Commented on 09/21/2015

Are you sure that you weren't talking about #2?

"A super beauty!"

fowlhunter's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/18/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Love this place (with one exception...keep reading!). Extremely interesting layout, great variety and roll of the land. Very fair; good shots are rewarded. Entire back 9, with exception of #10, really great. Only one complaint: in heat (June-Sept) greens are very slow, perhaps 7 or 8. No good...they've been talking about re-surfacing them for 3+ years but apparently don't have the budget to make this badly needed improvement. Highly recommend, but only if the greens are rolling at least at a 9-10.

Commented on 07/25/2015

Feel compelled to alert you to my change of heart about this place. The layout remains superb, no doubt. But the conditions have deteriorated - and that's saying a lot! - and the staff deliberately misrepresent the shape of the greens. No longer recommend unless you are offered a money back guarantee.