Style Links

Punta Espada, the first of three exclusive Jack Nicklaus signature designs to be developed at Cap Cana, has been ranked by GolfWeek as the best golf course in the Caribbean and Mexico. The golf course opened in October 2006.

Punta Espada Golf Club has been designed to incorporate the natural features of the landscape into its topography: the bluffs, the beach, the waterways and the jungle foliage. The design allows and guarantees that golfers of all levels are accommodated, including those playing at world championship level. The par-72 golf course played host to the inaugural PGA Tour's Champions Tour in April 2008 - The Cap Cana Championship.

Many experts consider the course's signature hole to be No. 13, a 250-yard par-3 that is sure to become one of the world's most photographed holes. Reminiscent of scenes from Pebble Beach, this hole requires golfers to execute a huge, 249-yard tee shot over the ocean into a green surrounded by lapping waves. For the timid, there is a generous bailout zone to the right of the green.

Punta Espada Golf Club

Year Built 2006
Fairways Paspalum
Greens Paspalum
Architect Jack Nicklaus (2006) Troy Vincent (2006)

Caddies Yes - included in green fee

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 7

Stunning Course

This is not only the most beautiful courses I've ever played but its also one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen! I was the only one in my group of vacationers that play so I went by myself but still had a great morning. The course is in great shape and very playable. It would be great if you could walk the course when its not busy to enjoy the scenery more. I wish we still had caddies at courses in the US. It was great to just grab a club, get some advise and hit the ball. If you are a golfer and are in the area you would be crazy to not play this course.

Wow!

I played this course while on in DR for my wedding. It was either Punta Espada or Teeth of the dog. I was not disappointed from the minute we arrived.

I played with my cousin in law, who is a good golfer as well.

We were picked up at Majestic Elegance in PC, and driven to the course which took about 45 mins. We were transferred mid ride along the highway to another vehicle which was odd but none the less we got there. Tipped the last driver $10 when we got there.

Upon arrival our clubs were taken and put on the cart and we checked in and paid. We were introduced to our Caddie Esah. The course wasn't busy at all, and were given ample time to warm up and hit some balls. The guy on the range whom we tipped $5 bucks each cleaned our clubs while we hit balls.

The Course: Picturesque and Scenic to say the least. Amazing view and photo ops on every hole. You almost forget to play golf and not take photos.

Greens: Excellent
Fairways: Excellent to Good
Rough: Good to Great and not too deep.
Difficulty: Depending on what tees you play the course is set up for the challenge that you want.
Pace: Finished in 4 hours, could have been less if we took less pictures.
Value: Yes expensive, especially for Canadians, but well worth the money. Comparable to what I assume Pebble Beach would be like in some respects. How this course isn't ranked higher is baffling.
ProShop: Well stocked, clean, modern, nice options for souvenirs. Got a Titleist hat for $37 US, not bad at all.
19th Hole: Average food, typical quick snack food. The beer was cold, view and the company were Excellent.

I recommend this course be on your list to play next time in the DR. I would definitely go back for the view and to see if I can improve my score.

Punta Espada

I had the opportunity to play Punta Espada on a recent vacation to the Dominican Republic. It is hard to believe that this course is not listed as one of the 100 top courses in the world. The scenery is unbelievable including eight holes along the sea. Not a bad hole on the entire course. Fairways are quite wide, but you still need to be accurate off the tee and on approach shots because the waste bunkers are very punishing. Played the tips so I could feel like a pro for a day. Hitting into the 12th green with nothing but blue sky and ocean behind the green was awesome.

One of my all-time favorite Jack Nicklaus designs

No course of the 700-plus I've played interacts with the ocean as dramatically as Punta Espada. Of the eight holes on the Caribbean Sea, three are really special. I remember my round in 2011 like it was yesterday.
Stepping on the elevated tee of the second hole, a 611-yard par 5, introduces the ocean horizon, and a green hanging precariously into a bay inlet. The par-3 13th hole plays over crashing waves to a green perched upon a cliff. Jack Nicklaus made birdie at the grand opening, although the rest of us will be happy just to land safely on top. The par-4 at no. 17 is a cool Cape hole where players must choose how much of the sea to carry to reach the fairway. The approach heads directly into the wind. My "ocho" - at my caddie's advice - landed next to the hole for birdie. Golf doesn't get much better than this.

Best Golf Course I have ever seen or played

I was fortunate enough to play this course two days in a row, only paying once (met an investor of the property who paid for my second round, thank you to my charming wife for that!). You can rest assured that they could have charged double and I would have felt like I got a good deal.

This is simply golfing paradise. I live in CA and have walked Pebble and would like to think I have seen many gorgeous courses all over, but this is beyond magnificent. The conditions are immaculate, caddy was friendly and helpful and there was nobody on the course. The ocean views will leave you shaking your head. It is difficult to concentrate on the round of golf because it is hard to believe you are out there to begin with. There is a great video on YouTube, 8 minute flyover of the course set to music. It's even more impressive in person.

There are so many memorable shots over crystal clear water. Bring a camera, and if you have a girlfriend or wife that isn't a big golf fan but wants to enjoy some of the most beautiful landscape you will ever see; bring her. My wife loved it and has little interest in golf.

The par 5 2nd hole was my favorite, but 13 and 17 really give it a run for it's money. I will do whatever it takes to get back to this golf heaven that is Punta Espada. You would kick yourself if you made this trip and didn't play here. Enjoy.

Incredible

One of the best courses in the world. Definitely one of the most beautiful. There are eight holes right on the Caribbean Sea. The course is on lime stone cliffs about 20 feet above the sea. The grass is saltwater tolerant so when the waves are up it is quite a scene. Don't be surprised if you get a little wet. Several holes require carries over the Caribbean Sea. If you are vacationing in Punta Cana and you don't play this course you will be missing the best part of your vacation.

Bavaro Beach, La Altagracia
Punta Cana , La Altagracia
Punta Cana, La Altagracia Province

Valid dates: Mar 06, 2020 - May 06, 2020
Talamore’s Spring Signature Package (2 Nights / 3 Rounds), starting at $325 per person.