Colonial Heritage Golf Club offers the only Arthur Hills-designed layout in Williamsburg, and it is also the city's only gated golf community. Golfers looking for a place where they can just 'grip it and rip it' will be out of luck on this course, which requires skill and strategy. It is a thought-provoking design where golfers will want to weigh all of the risk and reward options first. The layout plays through deep ravines that provide interesting changes in elevation. The golf course also features undulating fairways and large, fast greens that are bordered by strategically placed bunkers as well as water hazards that come into play on several holes. Colonial Heritage G.C. definitely provides a good challenge, even for a seasoned player, but beginners shouldn't feel too intimidated. The golf course offers some room for error and the risk-reward opportunities appeal to low and high handicappers alike.

Colonial Heritage Golf Club

Year Built 2006
Architect Arthur Hills (2006) Drew Rogers (2006) Steve Forrest & Associates (2006)

Golf School Academy Yes - "The Golf Academy at Colonial Heritage Golf Club"

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express
Dress code Denim is not allowed, shirts must have a collar.

Virginia Advisor

Remains An Unbeatable Value

I'm the type of golfer that will pay a premium for fast, smooth greens and while Colonial Heritage has great conditions overall, their greens are consistently some of the fastest and smoothest in the state. I was shocked given how early in the year it was but they rolled absolutely perfectly.

The layout here remains a challenge for most golfers in any weather but it was particularly windy this day and that made it even harder but still a lot of fun, especially when you do pull off that hero shot.

The staff is great and I had no issues with pace of play despite the unseasonably warm weather. Will definitely keep coming back whenever I get a craving for quality greens!

Staff unorganized...wretched pace of play

once again stuck behind people who do not understand the concept of letting groups play through, staff was there but that's about it......just occupying space pretty much

Beautiful but tough

This course was in great shape, greens hold very well and have good speed. Some had questionable pin placements but overall they were very good. There are a number of blind shots to severely sloped fairways that border on unfair but if you can hit straight shots, you’ll do well. The course plays much longer than the posted yardage because of steep up slopes to the greens. I would certainly play it again, now that I know where I’m going.

Challenging

The course is beautiful. It was a hot day (90°) when we finished. I'd golf there again.

Commented on 10/15/2019

Thank you for your 5 star review. We are so glad you enjoyed your round with us. We hope you visit our Club again soon. Thank you!

Plays Twice a year
Commented on 10/15/2019

Thank you for your 5 star review. We take pride in providing excellent customer service to our members and guests and are glad you had a great experience. We hope you visit us again.

Very difficult

Too difficult to enjoy . Blind shots with severe slopes.

Commented on 10/15/2019

Thank you for your honest feedback and review concerning the course. We understand that course layout can be enjoyable for some and not for others. We hope that you come back again soon and experience even more of our Club.

Best Course in Williamsburg

Whether local or while visiting this historic area, Colonial Heritage provides a beautiful setting with rolling hills and woods on many holes. It’s become my favorite to play. Now about playing golf. Newcomers may find it a bit difficult with elevated and blind shots as it meanders through the neighborhood and woods. There are tee boxes for all level of player. If in the area, don’t miss your chance of playing this well conditioned course.

Commented on 10/15/2019

Thanks for your 5 star review and feedback, James! We appreciate your commentary and would love to have you back again soon!

Virginia Advisor

Still The Most Underrated Course In Williamsburg

Williamsburg is the top golf destination in Virginia and with good reason. Many of the state’s best courses are within easy driving distance of each other in this corner of the Old Dominion, on either side of the historic district of Colonial Williamsburg. Courses like Golden Horseshoe, Kiskiack, Williamsburg National, and Ford’s Colony are all highly regarded and much talked about, and deservedly so. But Colony Heritage Club is still the most underrated and the best value of them all.

The layout here is arguably better than any others this side of the Gold course at Golden Horseshoe. Kiskiack may have a couple nice water holes but Colonial Heritage is challenging, fair, and fun from nearly every tee. There’s forced carries, elevation changes, and a couple narrow landing areas to make you sweat but also plenty of forgiving holes that give you options for strategy. The signature par-5 5th and the awesome par-4 16th continue to be my favorites but there’s plenty to choose from.

The conditions here are also noteworthy. Despite a hot summer there was no sign of stress at this course. Bermuda grass tee-to-green certainly helps but just because the grass can grow in the heat doesn’t mean it’s maintenance-free and the work the grounds crew puts in definitely shows here. The greens, although showing some sign of traffic, are in beautiful condition and roll fast (about a 10 on the stimp) and true. The fairways likewise are smooth and nearly entirely free of soggy spots. The rough is nice and lush, the bunkers are well maintained and there’s no issues with the tees either.

The staff continues to be a highlight of your golfing experience at Colonial Heritage. Friendly and professional, especially the starter. With the dozens of courses I visit each year, it continues to amaze me how much courses undervalue the position of the starter and what a huge difference having a good one can make. I was one of the first groups out after a members league and the starter told me I’d probably catch up to them around hole 6. Guess where I caught up to them? It was like magic. Thankfully, they were done and out of the way by the time I reached #9 and it was back to a nice 3-hour pace from there on.

Taking into account all of the above as well as the first-class facilities here, Colonial Heritage continues to be an excellent value, with GolfNow Hot Deals going for as little as $26 right now, an absolute steal! Even at the $65 I paid for a weekday morning, it’s well worth it. If you haven’t played here before, you absolutely need to put it on your list for your next trip to Williamsburg. If you have played here before, I don’t even need to tell you, you already have.

Commented on 08/20/2019

Thank you so much for your wonderful review and beautiful pictures! We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Great day on the course

The course was in excellent conditions and we had no one in front of us. Greens where in great shape and consistent.

Very Challenging Championship Course

The Colonial Heritage golf course offers one of the most challenging golf experience you can have while in the Williamsburg VA area. The fairways are wide but sweep down him then uphill. There are a few interesting blind shots that if positioned well in the fairway presents good opportunity for a birdie on a good approach. The greens run fast so hit your line and check your putting speed. There are a number of beautiful wooded carries to negotiate. Just a beautiful course.

Commented on 08/20/2019

Thank you for your kind review! We're so glad you enjoyed your experience with us and we look forward to hosting you again soon. Did you birdie that hole!?

Challenging but fair

First time playing the course. Staff was very helpful. Back nine is tougher but, overall, would welcome the opportunity to play it again. I am an average golfer.

Commented on 08/20/2019

Thank you for your kind review. We're so glad you enjoyed your experience with us and we look forward to hosting you again soon.

Great 8

Excellent Arthur Hills course. Fine pro shop. On course personnel were excellent. This hilly course and very good greens. Suggest you purchase a yardage book because of blind holes where telling yardage to avoid hazards is necessary. Would not hesitate to return. Will highly recommend to friends.

Commented on 08/20/2019

Thank you for your review! We're so glad you had an enjoyable experience with us and we look forward to hosting you and your friends again soon!

Commented on 08/06/2019

Thanks for your review. We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again soon.

Poorly marked

This course is poorly marked. No hole maps or markers at the tee box. Many doglegs and hitting into hills with blind shots. We were hit into several times since the people behind us couldn't see us. It was carts on path and climbing all the hills was brutal. Many ravines made it very hard for the average golfer. Bring lots of balls. I'll never play there again.

Commented on 08/06/2019

Thank you for your review. We greatly value your feedback and apologize that your experience was anything less than stellar. Please feel free to reach out to us at info@colonialheritageclub.com to continue this conversation.

Very nice course. Greens were in great condition. Very fast. Some fairways were a tad muddy but not unplayable. Played with two members and they said they’re much quicker in the summer, but they roll true every time. Fun and challenging course, each hole has it’s own challenge. Definitely a course requiring accurate approach shots. Fairways were interesting but landing areas were generous on most holes. Overall a fun course.

Great track!

Always in great shape! A great test for low handicapper.

A little tight, but a great layout, beautiful course. Love to play it again.

Valid dates: May 10, 2020 - Jun 18, 2020
Every spring getaway should include the perfect mixture of lakeside recreation and 4-Star relaxation! The Tahoe Tap-in Stay & Play package offers a luxurious stay at Edgewood Tahoe Resort plus your choice of two rounds of golf with a cart at Lake Tahoe's only public lakefront golf course, two 50-minute treatments at the serene Spa Edgewood, or one of each for each night per reservation.