Colonial Heritage Club

Colonial Heritage Golf Club offers the only Arthur Hills-designed layout in Williamsburg, and it is also the city's only gated golf community. Golfers looking for a place where they can just 'grip it and rip it' will be out of luck on this course, which requires skill and strategy. It is a thought-provoking design where golfers will want to weigh all of the risk and reward options first. The layout plays through deep ravines that provide interesting changes in elevation. The golf course also features undulating fairways and large, fast greens that are bordered by strategically placed bunkers as well as water hazards that come into play on several holes. Colonial Heritage G.C. definitely provides a good challenge, even for a seasoned player, but beginners shouldn't feel too intimidated. The golf course offers some room for error and the risk-reward opportunities appeal to low and high handicappers alike.
Colonial Heritage Golf Club
Blue (W) 72 6016 yards 76.6 140
Burgundy (W) 72 4738 yards 69.6 124
Burgundy 72 4738 yards 64.1 123
Scorecard for Championship
Black M: 74.1/150 455 387 157 381 530 390 547 173 401 3421 449 426 311 400 188 541 445 164 544 3468 6889
Green M: 71.7/145 416 346 136 352 491 363 526 153 378 3161 416 406 289 376 158 512 404 159 504 3224 6385
Blue M: 70.1/140 W: 76.6/140 407 336 124 340 476 352 504 135 361 3035 406 394 282 293 139 497 346 146 478 2981 6016
White M: 67.1/130 W: 72.6/132 366 303 88 312 448 280 492 109 329 2727 354 356 253 276 94 451 276 139 438 2637 5364
Red W: 69.6/127 321 255 76 233 414 257 442 92 303 2393 334 315 213 242 85 417 250 115 374 2345 4738

Year Built 2006
Architect Arthur Hills (2006)

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express
Dress code Denim is not allowed, shirts must have a collar.

Very nice course. Greens were in great condition. Very fast. Some fairways were a tad muddy but not unplayable. Played with two members and they said they’re much quicker in the summer, but they roll true every time. Fun and challenging course, each hole has it’s own challenge. Definitely a course requiring accurate approach shots. Fairways were interesting but landing areas were generous on most holes. Overall a fun course.

A little tight, but a great layout, beautiful course. Love to play it again.

Second Go Around

My normal group played this course on a whim early in the spring and were disappointed in the greens, but we were invited back to play again this past weekend. I must say I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER that my group went back to play there. First, there had been rain in the area the past few days, but the course drained so well you hardly knew the course had been wet at all. The layout of all 18 holes is very well planned out throughout a growing golf course community. Each hole is set off as its own hole and not next to another hole so each hole is like its own experience which to my group made it that much more enjoyable. I suggest paying attention to the score card to make sure you are playing the correct set of tees based on your handicap. My group played from the blue tees which are handicaps 12-19 which were accurate. The entire course while challenging is very playable for all skill levels. You are not going to face tight holes surrounded by tees so a shot that goes astray is lost in the woods. The fairways are like walking on carpet and the greens were some of the most consistent greens I have played on before as well as well kept greens. The rough is rough so if you are in the rough, take an extra club. The snack bar has some excellent food as well as different options other than your typical hot dog at the turn at go. Colonial Heritage really has sold me on a true golf experience for playing a round of golf with some family and friends. The course was challenging, but fair so do yourself a favor and go play this course. It is a 45 minute drive for my golf group and it was well worth that drive and more.

Challenging Course

This course is a very pretty course. Very hilly with a lot of rough. The fairways are narrow and very challenging to hit , especially on the front. I was placed with two other gentlemen that were from out of town. None of us had played the course before that helped to make our round challenging. We played the blue tees, when I play there again I will play the white tees which should make it easier. Hole number 5 is one of the hardest holes I have ever played . It is a dogleg right with narrow fairway and a lot of rough. once you get to the dogleg it is straight up hill. I would recommend that the any average golfer that plays this course play the white tees. I would recommend this course , very scenic and the fairways and greens are in great shape. Do stay away from the rough, it is easy to loose a ball in it.

A very enjoyable round !

From the moment we entered the bag drop we were treated with class. The pro shop staff gave us hints and advice for the upcoming round. The started did the same and we enjoyed his company while waiting . The holes have a variety of challenges that make you think your way around. I played tees that made the round enjoyable for someone on vacation. It was very hot but had lots of water available. Fairways were in excellent shape , as were the greens which had consistent rolls. The only problem was with other golfers - why cannot they fix their ball marks ? I tried to fix as many as I could per hole but it was a lost cause. It must be tough on the greens keeper. It was a pleasure to play !

Fun course, great conditions

Played this course on a recommendation, not from the area only here on vacation.

Tee’d off in heavy fog, but luckily cleared by 2nd hole. Course was in great condition, lush fairways, rough, and greens. No issues after recent heavy rains. Putts rolled true, rough was just as it should be. I think there was Bermuda grass out there, which led me to some issues (personal issue...not course related). Also very well maintained practice areas with putting & chipping greens...with traps! Don’t often find that up my way (CT).

I was a single and played as such. Group let me play thru, and I was able to get around in under 4hrs. Played early (8am) and weather was hot & muggy.

Definitely would recommend. More affordable compared to the big draws in the area (Kingsmill/Golden Horseshoe). Hoping I’ll be able to play again.

Excellent!!!

Course was in awesome condition. Tee time was at 3:30 and took us 4 hours o play. Just a fantastic course! Don’t miss this one!!

You have to think your way through the round

I really like the layout. Lots of challenges with hills, doglegs, water, woods...etc. I had to leave my driver in the bag a few times. One thing that I would like to see, and it would pick up the speed of play, is to mow the grass/weeds on the sides of the fairways. Almost impossible to find a ball there. You can still leave it rough but in the current condition it's just too much.

Commented On 2018-07-09T12:37:03.000+00:00

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are glad you enjoyed your experience at Colonial Heritage and hope to see you back soon.

Commented On 2018-07-09T12:35:27.000+00:00

MizunoBen: Thank you again for such a wonderful review on our facility; glad you and your friends enjoyed your experience at Colonial Heritage. We hope to see you back soon!

Virginia Advisor

At Its Very Best

Colonial Heritage Golf Club continues to be the most underrated course in all of Virginia and my most recent visit proves that even more. From exceptional playing conditions to a top-notch staff and everything in between, this course truly deserves to be considered one of the best courses anywhere that you can play for under $50.

The course conditions are the most improved aspect from my previous visit, though they’ve never been sub-standard. From tee to green, everything is superb, the greens especially are absolutely perfect with no bumps, grooves, patches or burnouts areas. Bunkers are ranked, the undulating fairways are well groomed and lush and the rough looks like it could host a U.S. Open.

I had previously only played this course on my own but I brought along some friends this time to show them around and it became clear pretty soon that I’ve been underestimating this course’s difficulty level. The rundown given by the starter is slightly sensationalized, but only slightly. We played from what we thought were reasonable tees for our skill levels at right about 6000 yards. We really should have played up a set because we admittedly took quite a long time to get around the course. Making sure you play the tees that match the slope rating your comfortable with will not only help you enjoy your round more but also speed up play for everyone. One last tip: spend as much time on the practice green before your round as you can.

Back to the course, the Arthur Hills design is as beautiful as it is challenging with well-crafted fairways and green complexes. Bunkers and hazards are in all the right places and really require you to think your way through your round. You’ll use driver less here than many courses but I feel that really adds to the experience. Challenges continue with heavily tiered or potato-chip-sculpted greens (running about 10.5 on the day I played) and sharp drop-offs on many of the greens and a few fairways as well. There’s quite a few blind shots as well so if you haven’t played here before, bring along someone who has or pony up the $6 for a yardage book.

The staff continues to impress here with professional and friendly service, we even had one of the maintenance crew pause her mowing to guide us towards a lost ball. If I have a complaint about my round it’s that the lack of a beverage cart for the 5 hours we were out there in the heat and humidity really seemed out of place.

The practice facilities (which I hadn’t really used before) are excellent here as well with grass driving range and separate chipping and putting greens. The food in the restaurant is a little pricey but you get what you pay for.

Speaking of value, it remains Colonial Heritage’s biggest asset. You can spend upwards of $100 at Spring Creek up in central VA (which is routinely rated as the best in the state) and not feel like you’re getting a better golfing experience as you do here for as little as $35. To me that’s a huge difference and with both courses just over an hour from me, I know I’ll be choosing Colonial Heritage far more often.

Great Conditions (Course & Weather)

Second time playing this course and really enjoyed the layout and the variety of holes. You really have to think your way around the course and in some cases knowing the holes is a big help as there are some blind shots or your tee shot has to be placed to prepare for your next shot. The cllubhouse and starter staff were very friendly and helpful.

Will definitely play this course again next time we're in the Williamsburg area.

Great layout!

Had a great time, course in great shape and very challenging. Will definitely be back.

Very Challenging Course

This course will make you think on every shot. Great layout with some beautiful holes. Course plays long so be prepared to club up. I'm a 17-20 handicap but was able to birdie a few holes so this always brings me back to a course. Some construction was going on which created some dust and noise but still enjoyed the course. Will play again.

Too difficult

Can’t believe this course was built in a retirement community!

You need to be 10 or under handicap to play this course!

Lots of topography change which is vusually atttactive but adds considerable degree of difficulty.

Commented On 2018-05-02T15:48:42.000+00:00

Dear Gary,

Thank you for playing our golf course yesterday and providing us your feedback.

Our residents take a lot of pride in our course; its layout, conditions, and play ability. Due to the elevation changes throughout all 18 holes, our course plays roughly 400-500 yards longer that our scorecard states.

Choosing the proper sets of tees is paramount on enjoying ones round at Colonial Heritage. For those golfers who enjoy a course at 6,500 yards, our recommendation is to play our Blue Tees that measures 6,000 yards but will play 6,500.

We would love to have you play our course again and consider playing one set of tees closer.

Thank you again and I hope this information helps.

Sincerely,

Aaron Palen, PGA

Head Golf Professional

Colonial Heritage Golf Club

A must play track

Everything first class here. Presentation, greeting, hospitality, course layout, difficulty and condition. Beautiful and difficult track that was enjoyed by all of us. A must play when in Williamsburg.

Toano, Virginia