Colonial Heritage Club

• (757) 645-2000
  • (757) 645-2014
  • colonialheritageclub.com

Year built: 2006
Architect(s): Arthur Hills (2006), Wadsworth Golf Construction (2006)
Type: Public

Practice bunker: Yes

Dress code: Denim is not allowed, shirts must have a collar.
Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express

Blue (W) 72 6016 yards 76.6 140
Burgundy (W) 72 4738 yards 69.6 124
Burgundy 72 4738 yards 64.1 123

Colonial Heritage Golf Club offers the only Arthur Hills-designed layout in Williamsburg, and it is also the city's only gated golf community. Golfers looking for a place where they can just 'grip it and rip it' will be out of luck on this course, which requires skill and strategy. It is a thought-provoking design where golfers will want to weigh all of the risk and reward options first. The layout plays through deep ravines that provide interesting changes in elevation. The golf course also features undulating fairways and large, fast greens that are bordered by strategically placed bunkers as well as water hazards that come into play on several holes. Colonial Heritage G.C. definitely provides a good challenge, even for a seasoned player, but beginners shouldn't feel too intimidated. The golf course offers some room for error and the risk-reward opportunities appeal to low and high handicappers alike.

Location is near local attractions convenient to the city worth the drive   Great for advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views a weekend splurge   Challenges include elevation changes forced carries undulating greens   Great for drinks patio dining 19th hole scenic views

"Great Conditions (Course & Weather)"

uWUEV8442WU's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/13/2018

Second time playing this course and really enjoyed the layout and the variety of holes. You really have to think your way around the course and in some cases knowing the holes is a big help as there are some blind shots or your tee shot has to be placed to prepare for your next shot. The cllubhouse and starter staff were very friendly and helpful.

Will definitely play this course again next time we're in the Williamsburg area.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/05/2018

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/01/2018

"Great layout!"

Charles7867487's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/14/2018

Had a great time, course in great shape and very challenging. Will definitely be back.

"Very Challenging Course"

dawnwood's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/03/2018

This course will make you think on every shot. Great layout with some beautiful holes. Course plays long so be prepared to club up. I'm a 17-20 handicap but was able to birdie a few holes so this always brings me back to a course. Some construction was going on which created some dust and noise but still enjoyed the course. Will play again.

"Too difficult"

Gary2281295's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/01/2018

Can’t believe this course was built in a retirement community!

You need to be 10 or under handicap to play this course!

Lots of topography change which is vusually atttactive but adds considerable degree of difficulty.

Commented on 05/02/2018

Dear Gary,

Thank you for playing our golf course yesterday and providing us your feedback.

Our residents take a lot of pride in our course; its layout, conditions, and play ability. Due to the elevation changes throughout all 18 holes, our course plays roughly 400-500 yards longer that our scorecard states.

Choosing the proper sets of tees is paramount on enjoying ones round at Colonial Heritage. For those golfers who enjoy a course at 6,500 yards, our recommendation is to play our Blue Tees that measures 6,000 yards but will play 6,500.

We would love to have you play our course again and consider playing one set of tees closer.

Thank you again and I hope this information helps.

Colonial Heritage Golf Club

"A must play track"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/30/2018

Everything first class here. Presentation, greeting, hospitality, course layout, difficulty and condition. Beautiful and difficult track that was enjoyed by all of us. A must play when in Williamsburg.

"3 thumbs up"

Caeasley's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/30/2018

Course conditions were very nice. Greens were almost 100 % healed Whole facility is super with an abundant and courteous staff of PRO’S

Practice area was a nice surprise

"5 hours on a Monday, disappointed"

rboyne's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/30/2018
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

We teed off at 2 and finished at 7. We called and asked for a nine-hole raincheck when we were 3 hours to the 11th but were told that because we had finished 10 to forget the raincheck even though we complained at 9. When we finished at 7 the clubhouse was locked. with players on the course. We never saw a marshal on the course, the only person we saw from the course was at the 17th and it was the same person who checked us in. We travel to Williamsburg every year to begin our golf season and have played this course many times before; it would be hard to recommend this place to any of our friends.

We finished the back nine in 2 hours because people in front of us and behind us left.

The course is fun, the layout is great but not respecting pace of play and our time is not acceptable. Management, realize the public has choices

Commented on 05/02/2018

Dear rboyne:

Thank you for your feedback on your recent experience at Colonial Heritage this past Monday.

Our acceptable pace of play is 4 hours and 40 minutes due to the elevation changes, topography, and green complexes. With almost 150 golfers on our course this past Monday, all of our groups finished within our acceptable time frame.

Our rain check policy is to provide rain checks when our course closes for safety reasons (i.e. thunder storms, heavy rains, tornado watch, etc).

I am happy to discuss this further. You can reach me at 757.645.2032 or apalen@colonialheritageclub.com

Thank you again for your feedback.

Colonial Heritage Golf Club

"Picturesque Course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/26/2018

This picturesque course was a challenge as it was the first time I had played here. Checking each hole layout and attention to management of same is essential for good scores. A good healthy walk when conditions are cart path only! All in all, It was a thoroughly enjoyable round!

"Poor Layout in. Housing Construction Zone"

dontcarmichael's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/20/2018

Definitely not enjoyable. Course layout definitely needs signage, yardage markers, maps and more information on trap locations and water hazards. Uphill, downhill, side-hill lies galore makes the course a difficult one for anyone that sits 90+. The back nine features a dust bowl housing subdivision construction zone that on a windy day puts you in an area that feels like an open pit coal mine.

With a choice of great courses in the area this is not on my list for the future.

"Great challenge"

jdmsante's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/16/2018
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

I love this course because of the challenge. Even if I am a 14 handicap golfer, that course make you think. I played there 9 times in the last 4 years. In April the green at little brown, but you don't play there for that.

Please ask for the track map if not you would not like it.

There is also a great chipping range.

"Punched Greens And A One Big Change"

MizunoBen's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/16/2018
Previously played Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

*This is an updated review. For more thoughts on this course, see my full review from 6/02/17*

This has been one of my favorite course in the state due to the great layout, consistently good playing conditions, friendly staff and great value. Most of that has been retained for 2018 but there’s one change that you should know about if you’ve played here before.

First and foremost, they have aerified all the greens, and not with the pin-sized holes I had witnessed last summer which didn’t affect play at all. This time the putting surface is largely altered by larger holes and sand and putting was a challenge all day. Since this only happens a couple times a year, I won’t focus too much on it and my overall rating doesn’t reflect the temporary degradation in playing conditions. It is worth noting that despite heavy rains the night before, the course had drained very well, though cart path-only was still warranted.

To me the biggest change that has impacted this beautiful course is the expansion of housing development, particularly on the back nine. My favorite par-3 on the course used to be tucked away in a secluded corner of the course, surrounded by woodlands. Fast forward 8 months and the trees are all gone and soon the only backdrop will be a row of gated-community houses. I admit this is more a personal letdown and may not affect anyone who hasn’t played here before, but it struck me how much change had been made to the hole’s character by simply changing the backdrop. The construction continues on to the next few holes but to me, that par-3 was impacted the most.

Scenic backdrops notwithstanding, this course remains a great layout with challenging and varied holes that will have you using different clubs and different shots on every hole. The fluffy bunkers (even after a lot of rain) take some time to get used to and the elevation changes are pretty incredible for this area.

The staff remains top-notch with friendly and helpful service, they even guided me to the back-nine first to avoid getting held up by a large group on the front nine. Talk about pace-of-play, I breezed through the whole course (cart path only too) in well under 3 hours!

For $30 for an early afternoon tee time, you cannot beat the value of this course. Iit remains my highest ranked course in the state for that category. Once the course fully recuperates from winter and aerification I will be back again and again.

Commented on 04/20/2018

MizunoBen,

On behalf of the entire team at Colonial Heritage, thank you for your continued feedback on your experience's at our facility. We believe in our product and services and love hearing everyone's thoughts.

When you have a moment, I would love to chat with you. My office number is 757.645.2032 or apalen@colonialheritageclub.com.

"Great Experience"

itom212's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/13/2018
Used cart Perfect weather

This course was a great experience. We enjoyed wonderful weather for April. The course was in great shape for the time of year. It was very challenging. The bermuda grass was still dormant, as was the case at all courses in the area at this time of year. The roughs were overseeded so they were green, making it more visibly appealing. The course was quite challenging with several forced carries over deep gorges. We found it to be a challenging, but fair design. The greens had been aerated recently, but had almost finished growing in so they were not 100% perfect condition. Long story short, we had a great time. The staff was quite friendly and extremely helpful.

John4120's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/13/2018

Except for two holes on the front nine and two on the back nine the course is a good layout.

"Fun course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/12/2018
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

extremely windy round. great course set up. 5 different tee boxes to give the player the test he/she would like. on course restrooms left a little to be desired but other than that it was a great experience

"Over priced"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/06/2018

The course does have a nice layout. Pretty much each hole you will have a playable second shot as is an open layout which is nice. The staff was very nice and the snack bar was good. To start, a small bucket of range balls was $8 which is quite over priced as I have played nicer more ritzy courses where a small token is $4-$5. The driving range was nice. Fairways were not grown in yet due to the weather which I can understand. The biggest issue were the greens. If i could rate them a negative five I would. For the price of my round, I expect immaculate greens not greens covered in sand, holes all over the place some as big as a quarter and overall just 100% inconsistent. My group was giving gimmies from 5 feet in because no green would role without hops, skips and jumps. We were all super frustrated to pay a large amount for such poor greens. The round was worth $40, but round total plus the range balls was $65. Really feel like the course owes me some change.

Commented on 04/09/2018

I am so sorry to learn about your disappointment on the conditions of our greens. We take a lot of pride on our golf course, it's conditions, and our hospitality. Please contact me via email at apalen@colonialheritageclub.com or by phone (757)645-2032 and I would love to host your group back when our greens have recovered as a guest of mine.

"Nice challenging track."

louisp23's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/17/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Slightly over-priced paid $50.00 per man should have been $35.00

GPS does not take you to proper entrance this made for quite a last minute run-around.

"Number one"

Rene5300220's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/06/2017

One of the gest courses I have played in a long time. Well maintained tees, fairways and greens. Love to play it again. Thanks to all for a great round of golf.

"Always A Great Experience"

Davelcathotmailcom's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/05/2017

Beautiful clubhouse, challenging course, professional staff. My husband and I travel to Williamsburg from Western PA 2-3 times a year and always try to include playing this course.