Cabo del Sol - The Ocean Golf Course

The Cabo del Sol Ocean Course is yet another Jack Nicklaus signature course, the second of three he designed in Los Cabos (the others being Palmilla and El Dorado). Many believe that this course, with its plentiful arroyos, sand traps and other obstacles, is the most difficult in the area. Even those who disagree with this sentiment will quickly admit that this spectacular course, with over 1 mile of oceanfront, is a joy to play. This course is a wonderful combination of great terrain and breathtaking design, prompting Nicklaus to praise it as having “three of the best ocean finishing holes in all of golf.” This course is well designed from beginning to end, though, the highlights being the par-5, 568 yard 4th hole and the 7 incredible ocean holes. This course’s signature hole is its 17th, a par-3 with plenty of cacti, boulders and a menacing cove. The Ocean Course has been ranked number 70 in Golf Magazine’s list of the top 100 courses in the world and there aren’t many public courses that are held in higher regard around the world.
Blue (W) 72 6340 yards 76.9 137
Scorecard for Ocean
Black M: 74.2/146 436 574 327 555 490 184 139 450 469 3624 436 352 515 213 366 530 447 178 430 3467 7091
Gold M: 72.7/142 419 558 320 542 469 177 132 418 450 3485 404 344 500 208 351 515 427 162 419 3330 6815
Blue M: 70.4/135 W: 76.9/140 402 523 293 527 447 167 123 380 426 3288 353 328 473 193 331 497 342 150 385 3052 6340
White M: 67.9/128 W: 74.0/137 320 508 273 498 355 149 111 337 387 2938 341 314 446 171 317 480 319 125 358 2871 5809
Red W: 68.5/116 310 415 252 423 320 125 99 272 350 2566 307 233 309 131 179 410 229 112 275 2185 4751

Year Built 1994
Golf Season February - December
Architect Jack Nicklaus (1994)

Carts Yes - included in green fee

Credit Cards Accepted Mastercard, Visa, American Express
Dress code No swimwear, denim, cutoffs, halter or tank tops

Stellar ocean golf

There's a whole lot going on in Cabo's hotel and golf scene but it's safe to say that Cabo Del Sol's Ocean Course remains the top draw for public play. The Nicklaus design features back-to-back beachfront par 3s on the front nine and a closing stretch on the back along the beach as well. The inland holes are pretty doggone good too.

The experience includes free tacos at the turn and also a margarita at the end of the round. Peak season green fees for the Ocean are $375, certainly one of the more expensive experiences in resort golf, but Cabo is a pricy destination and the conditions, service and layout certainly deliver.

I had a little hiccup with the shuttle service to my tee time. Leave enough time to get there, or just do like I did for my next tee time and walk to the club from the Sheraton. 10 mins.

Perfect Condition

I played Cabo del Sol ocean course on my last trip to Cabo. The course was in perfect condition, the staff was very helpful, and I couldn't have asked for a better

experience.

It was a fun course to play...that is if you hit - um straight.

I'll be back on the next trip.

Great course but rude starter tainted the experience

I brought my dad to Cabo from the states for a special weekend of golf. I was most excited to show him the Cabo Del Sol ocean course as it looked stunning. We had a 12:20 tee time (the last tee time before the twilight rate started). We arrived early and after warming up I was told by the club house that because we had paid the morning rate and the course was open we could start our round anytime we wanted. We pulled up to the first tee and couldn't find the starter. Just as we were teeing off he arrived and in a rude fashion told us to stop since our tee time wasn't till later. As I tried to explain what the club house told me he kept rudely interrupting and wouldn't listen insisting "I am in charge and I decide who tees off when". His tone was aggressive and condescending. We reversed back to the putting green and as we continue our putting practice he shows up to apologize since there had been a "misunderstanding" that he had now cleared up by talking to the pro shop. This soured the whole round right from the start. I'm glad he apologized but this doesn't excuse his rude and aggressive behavior . I think he assumed that we were lying and that we were trying to sneak on to play at a more expensive time then we had paid-wouldn't listen to the information I was trying to provide. Not the kind of service I would expect from an otherwise top notch facility. The golf was great but the overall experience left a bad taste in the mouth

A Cabo must-play

The course was exactly as billed. Beautifully manicured, awesome views, greens were wonderfully true. Rest assured, bring your ""a" game as this course is difficult if not played smart. We played with 24 guys from our club, and everything went off without a hitch. Player and club transportation, tee time management, pro shop staff....everything was excellant!

British Columbia Advisor

Addictive!

Ocean course is a beautiful experience that I cannot wait to go back and playing again. The clubhouse and property is amazing. It feels like everything there is absolutely perfect. Play twilight and save some money, and less heat! A must

Nobody does fun better than Cabo del Sol's Ocean course

I'm thrilled to report one of Cabo's best golf courses escaped the hurricane last September virtually unscathed. The seventh tee box right on the beach washed away, like the rest of the sand on the beach, but you'd never know by how it looks today. That's incredible considering how much damage was sustained by the homes/condos along the cart path heading toward the eight hole. Strategically, the Ocean course is much more fun and playable than Quivira, the new Nicklaus design generating all the buzz in Cabo. You'll love its collection of par 3s. Par 3s at no. 6, 7 and 17 all play right on the beach. The shortish par 4s on a stellar back nine demand a bit of target golf but not in a bad way. The greens of three of its best par 4s - nos. 5, 16 and 18 - sit right on the shore as well. The free fish tacos at the turn never disappoint, either, just like this World Top 100 experience.

The Bear's Best? Cabo del Sol's Ocean course might be Nicklaus' best work

Los Cabos is loaded with Jack Nicklaus golf, and the Ocean course at Cabo del Sol might be the Bear's best work. Not only in Cabo but the world. While other courses have sold off their beachfront holes - Cabo Real and El Dorado come to mind - Cabo del Sol has actually moved holes CLOSER to the shore. The fifth green and its famous back-to-back par 3s at nos. 6-7 now sit virtually on the beach. These recent changes have enhanced this dramatic trio of holes almost to the point that you could argue they're better than the revered seaside beauties at nos. 16-18, a stretch Nicklaus once hailed as the best finish in golf. The new seventh features tees that virtually float in the water, playing to a green carved from a sand dune. The inland holes are just as strong, although not as scenic. My favorite touch is the free fish tacos at the turn. All in all, a five-star experience.

San Jose del Cabo, Baja California