Club De Golf Marina Ixtapa

Ladies 72 5228 yards 71.4 118

"exceeded my expectations"

Edward3230945's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/29/2018

I wasn't sure about playing the Marina Ixtapa after having read a number of negative reviews. But, I played it 12 years ago and so wanted to get reacquainted and some revenge (shot 90 back then). I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, the facilities are not up to snuff and there was a heckuva clatter driving over bridges that crossed many hazards, but I never felt unsafe. My golf cart was old and the parking brake didn't work, but it was quiet and got me around. The course was not as lush as I remembered but the fairways were fine except for a washed out area on the 8th, and the rough not overly punitive. The greens were good (there were a few bare spots but that didn't affect the putts). In fact I had six 1-putts and one 3-putt which is considerable better than my average. The course layout is excellent with a variety of holes. It is a good challenge but not overly difficult - not hard to keep it in play off the tee unless really crooked. The traps need more sand (I was fortunate to have landed in only one). The finish is fantastic: #17 a picturesque 153 yard par 3 mostly over water (saw an alligator to add to the excitement) followed by the diabolical 570 yard par 5 18th with water all down the left. Because it wasn't busy, I finished in less than 3 hours and beat my previous score by 8 strokes. When I paid I was surprised that the green fee was 2/3 the rate of the neighboring Palma Real. I had a great time and was back at my hotel room by 10:30. I will definitely go back again. If you are looking to play a well-designed golf course for good value and willing to overlook some imperfections, you won't be disappointed.

"March Break '16"

BrianJf's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/17/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I played this course two years ago ... March Break '14. This time, I played three rounds over four days. 850 pesos for 18-holes with a cart; that's about $75Cdn. The other course in Ixtapa was more than double the cost, and still more expensive after 2pm.

For the most part, the course was grass covered. I didn't play the sand traps; they haven't been well maintained. The greens were in good shape.

I only saw one 'gator/croc this time.

Coming from Northern Ontario at the end of the winter, three days of golf was a welcome break at a reasonable cost.

Not sure how the course stays open because it certainly wasn't busy when I was there.