El Camaleón is aptly named for its diverse layout and ever-changing landscape, which bends through tropical jungles, dense mangroves and oceanfront stretches of sand with holes bordered by massive limestone canals. The indigenous and environmentally inspired design aspects are evident from the opening fairway, by an imposing cenoté, an ancient underground cavern that was unearthed during the initial stages of course construction.

Created with the goal of producing a tournament-quality golf course while maintaining an enjoyable sense of 'playability' for players of all skill levels, this course was designed to enhance the most desirable natural features of its tropical forest and seaside settings.

The result is a golf course with a natural, stand-alone golfing experience unique to its own part of the world.

El Camaleon Mayakoba Golf Course.

Year Built 2006
Greens Papalum SeaIsle I Variety
Architect Greg Norman (2006) Tad Burnett

Carts Yes - included in green fee
Pull-carts No

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, MC, AMEX
Walking Allowed No
Dress code Collared Shirt, Bermuda Shorts ok.

Bar, Restaurant, Beverage Carts

Clubhouse, Locker Rooms

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 16

Course conditions were terrible

Greens had probably been aerated and sanded last week. Should have informed guests when checking in. The starters didn't say anything before the round and then after my round they agreed that the putting is impossible right now. Rough was pretty deep too. Probably about 3". Lost a few balls just because I couldn't find the ball in the rough. No was should they have charged full price for the conditions. Worst conditions I've played anywhere. Played El tinto and Riviera Cancun just a couple days before and those were about average and had been expecting that El camaleon would be better. Played El camaleon 2 years ago around this same time if the year and it was so much better. Asked the golf shop for a discount after 9 holes and they acted like the greens were fine to play and would not provide a discount.

Awesome course

I am an avid golfer and travel around a lot to play. This was one of my favorite layouts. Conditions were perfect and the twosome I was paired with made for a great round. We did get a fore caddie which was not needed and wouldn't recommend getting. The course offers great amenities such as transfers, very nice rental clubs (I had PXG rentals) and an awesome clubhouse. I will say the experience was expensive but worth it.

Missouri Advisor

As good as advertised

Played this one a few weeks before the PGA event and it was in phenomenal condition. Great layout and fun holes. The par threes were shorter than I imagined which made them even more fun. The rough was THICK. Fairways impeccable. Clubhouse very cool design. Played by myself and wasn't held up at all. The ocean holes and cave bunker were memorable for sure.

This was an excellent and challenging course to play. I really enjoyed the layout of the course. Watch out for snakes, there was a 6 foot python on the cart path. I can’t wait to play it again.

Fantastic experience, loved el Camaleon

I enjoyed playing three rounds of golf, one with my twelve year old daughter while staying at the Fairmount. The pace of play was good, and it was easy to book and change a tee time with the clubhouse staff. I used a caddie the first day, and this was a good choice as I got some good tips how to manage the quote penal rough. It is not the easiest course off the tea, and also seemed fairly long with errant shots finding the mangroeves or canals. What made the course special was that it had a laid back resort feel to it, and if you are looking to play a nature course, with abundant wildlife and lush green vegetation, it does not get much better. I look forward to come back again and get another chance of a good score..

Florida Advisor

A marvellous day to remember in Mayakoba!

I got a round on this course as a birthday present and there could not be any better choice!
It is very impressive from the entry to the club, passing the pro shop, being in locker room where the names of all the PGA players are placed on each locker. Excellent welcome by the registration. We received a cart with already prepared rental clubs (Titleist), changed some of the clubs and the putter to more convenient one and went to the driving range. Same here - 1st class service provided. We played as twosome and the pace was excellent. The course was in pristine condition, nothing to complain, except the very strong wind making it really not easy to keep the ball on the fairway or even to hit it on the green on the two short Par 3 at the shore. Needed two clubs more than usually. The course is partly very challenging. Tee boxes and Fairways are in excellent condition, as well as the bunkers. Greens are rather fast and true. We’ve seen some chameleons (giving the name to the course) – first on the first hole already…
After the round having a drink at the clubhouse, it is a joy to have a view on the 18th hole.
As it was a birthday present, I have no idea how much was the round, but I must say, no matter how expensive it might have been – it was worth every single penny!

Fabulous Course

Fantastic Track, The Condition of the course was Pristine. The Greens were Fast and glassy. But true. Great layout and framed beautifully . The Practice facilities were great , there is absolutely Nothing to dislike about this course. The Cart paths run low to the water line so you have to keep your head up for Crocodiles. Other than that it is a great day of golf. The Fairway are so pristine you can putt from 20 yards off the green. The Pro’s are so spoiled with course conditions. The Mayakoba Classic comes up in November.

Horrible experience

Course under maintenance and they didn’t inform until I showed up. Just aerated and only able to play front nine twice. Still charged full price. Like I said didn’t let me know till I showed up. Layout was awesome wish I could’ve played the back. Staff was friendly. Bar and food were very good also. In different tones would’ve been great but left feeling g ripped off. Always, always call and insist on conditions.

Bucket list golf experience

From the moment you walk into the clubhouse you realize you are in for a very special experience.

From check in to drinks on the 19 th hole this course is an amazing experience

Friendly staff guides you to excellent practice facilities. Course is in tremendous shape

A must play experiment

Worth it!

Not a cheap round but a great value for a PGA caliber playing experience.

Beauriful experience

Played just after the OHL classic; course was in great condition ; amazing how quick they took down the stands; the course is a classic; it keeps you on your toes you have to control your tee balls or else you will have a long day
Overall a great experience that I fully recommend

Mayakoba Pro-Am round

I had the chance to play Mayakoba during this year's OHL Pro-Am on a sublime afternoon with barely any wind except for the exposed par 3s on each side. The routing is tougher than your average resort course with some holes that are pretty narrow, but it's unique environment and solid hole variety makes it a fun round. The course winds through dense mangrove forest and along the canal network before coming out for air along the beach on each nine. The cenote is a pretty neat feature that you can't miss. Facilities are excellent and the clubhouse is quite a marvel of architecture. All in all, there really isn't another course between Cancun and Riviera Maya that comes close to Mayakoba, especially when you stay at one of the resorts. I've stayed at both Fairmont and Andaz Mayakoba and they are both two of my favorite hotels anywhere in the Caribbean.

9/12/2017

I played the course while on vacation in Playa del Carmen. Booked through the GolfNow app but didn't get any super discounts. I've been coming to Playa for several years and never played golf here. I thoroughly enjoyed the course. There's a couple unfavorable reviews here but I couldn't disagree more based on my experience. The course was in great shape and the greens were immaculate. On number 1 green I actually thought it was artificial turf until I fixed my divot. In my opinion they were a tad slow for me but consistent and I figured out the speed after a couple holes. There's also some comments about the greens not holding the ball on approach, but I didn't experience that either. They were airating the rough but it had no effect on play. The grounds crew was quickly picking up the plugs behind the tractor. I would recommend staying out of the rough though. It's deceivingly thick and difficult.

The staff was very nice and overly helpful. The marshall was friendly and showed me to the range and first tee like a professional. The course was wide open on this day and as a single I played through the only twosome I came upon. After that, I never saw another soul. It was as if it was my own paradise. I highly recommend this course if your in the area and in my opinion there's nothing negative to say. Im booking a spa day for my wife at te Fairmont so I can play again this Saturday!!!

British Columbia Advisor

God I love this place

My second time to the property and I can't get enough. Total world class facility from top to bottom. No complaints at all and for a low handicaper it's challanging from the tips.

It's inspiring to play this course and it makes you want to be a better player. Not many courses evoke these types of emotions.

I would recommend showing up early and staying after for food in their spectacular club house. It's a treat and a life golf moment that you won't forget.

Enjoy! It's worth every penny.

One of best & most scenic tracks I've played

Beautiful course, one of the nicer courses I've ever played. It is very long and challenging. lots of opportunity for error. Can go through a LOT of balls if you are not precise off the tee. Very friendly staff, nice range and practice putting green, and locker rooms. Played for $149.00 instead of the usual $399.00. It was a great deal on a beautiful course. Pro met us on 16 and offered us FREE re-play that day. Will play again when we go back.

One of the most beautiful courese

The Suburban SUVs were part of the motorcade of president Nieto who was there on that day too. Very lucky we did not get bumped off the course.
The turtle was permanent resident of the resort though.

Good but not outstanding

This is a good course, a fun course, but I would not put up there with the best. I'm not sure exactly what was missing. I think the design of the holes were OK but none were so innovative or exceptional that I'd want to go back over again and play. It's also a little pricey for what you get but I suppose that comes with the area. I should say the conditioning of the course was immaculate, and the greens ran true. I'd recommend playing it just keep your expectation levels healthy.

Cozumel, Quintana Roo