El Camaleon Mayakoba Golf Club

El Camaleón is aptly named for its diverse layout and ever-changing landscape, which bends through tropical jungles, dense mangroves and oceanfront stretches of sand with holes bordered by massive limestone canals. The indigenous and environmentally inspired design aspects are evident from the opening fairway, by an imposing cenoté, an ancient underground cavern that was unearthed during the initial stages of course construction. Created with the goal of producing a tournament-quality golf course while maintaining an enjoyable sense of 'playability' for players of all skill levels, this course was designed to enhance the most desirable natural features of its tropical forest and seaside settings. The result is a golf course with a natural, stand-alone golfing experience unique to its own part of the world.
El Camaleon Mayakoba Golf Course.
BOOX 72 7024 yards 74.8 139
SAK 72 6562 yards 71.7 131
YAAX 72 6123 yards 69.5 123
CHAK (W) 72 5070 yards 69.0 119
Scorecard for El Camaleon Mayakoba Golf Club
Black M: 74.9/131 554 151 462 438 428 389 116 554 416 3508 200 360 451 532 452 155 521 386 458 3515 7023
White M: 73.1/123 532 142 439 406 414 360 110 521 384 3308 171 333 426 503 415 144 485 352 425 3254 6562
Green M: 70.7/121 W: 71.7/123 509 131 413 376 394 312 104 500 374 3113 144 299 403 451 387 128 471 315 412 3010 6123
Red W: 70.2/119 438 93 344 309 315 244 77 443 326 2589 102 229 339 386 335 98 402 254 344 2489 5078

Year Built 2006
Greens Papalum SeaIsle I Variety
Architect Greg Norman (2006) Tad Burnett

Carts Yes - included in green fee
Pull-carts No

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, MC, AMEX
Walking Allowed No
Dress code Collared Shirt, Bermuda Shorts ok.

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Mexico (2018 #10)

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 16

Fabulous Course

Fantastic Track, The Condition of the course was Pristine. The Greens were Fast and glassy. But true. Great layout and framed beautifully . The Practice facilities were great , there is absolutely Nothing to dislike about this course. The Cart paths run low to the water line so you have to keep your head up for Crocodiles. Other than that it is a great day of golf. The Fairway are so pristine you can putt from 20 yards off the green. The Pro’s are so spoiled with course conditions. The Mayakoba Classic comes up in November.

Horrible experience

Course under maintenance and they didn’t inform until I showed up. Just aerated and only able to play front nine twice. Still charged full price. Like I said didn’t let me know till I showed up. Layout was awesome wish I could’ve played the back. Staff was friendly. Bar and food were very good also. In different tones would’ve been great but left feeling g ripped off. Always, always call and insist on conditions.

Bucket list golf experience

From the moment you walk into the clubhouse you realize you are in for a very special experience.

From check in to drinks on the 19 th hole this course is an amazing experience

Friendly staff guides you to excellent practice facilities. Course is in tremendous shape

A must play experiment

Worth it!

Not a cheap round but a great value for a PGA caliber playing experience.

Beauriful experience

Played just after the OHL classic; course was in great condition ; amazing how quick they took down the stands; the course is a classic; it keeps you on your toes you have to control your tee balls or else you will have a long day

Overall a great experience that I fully recommend

Mayakoba Pro-Am round

I had the chance to play Mayakoba during this year's OHL Pro-Am on a sublime afternoon with barely any wind except for the exposed par 3s on each side. The routing is tougher than your average resort course with some holes that are pretty narrow, but it's unique environment and solid hole variety makes it a fun round. The course winds through dense mangrove forest and along the canal network before coming out for air along the beach on each nine. The cenote is a pretty neat feature that you can't miss. Facilities are excellent and the clubhouse is quite a marvel of architecture. All in all, there really isn't another course between Cancun and Riviera Maya that comes close to Mayakoba, especially when you stay at one of the resorts. I've stayed at both Fairmont and Andaz Mayakoba and they are both two of my favorite hotels anywhere in the Caribbean.

9/12/2017

I played the course while on vacation in Playa del Carmen. Booked through the GolfNow app but didn't get any super discounts. I've been coming to Playa for several years and never played golf here. I thoroughly enjoyed the course. There's a couple unfavorable reviews here but I couldn't disagree more based on my experience. The course was in great shape and the greens were immaculate. On number 1 green I actually thought it was artificial turf until I fixed my divot. In my opinion they were a tad slow for me but consistent and I figured out the speed after a couple holes. There's also some comments about the greens not holding the ball on approach, but I didn't experience that either. They were airating the rough but it had no effect on play. The grounds crew was quickly picking up the plugs behind the tractor. I would recommend staying out of the rough though. It's deceivingly thick and difficult.

The staff was very nice and overly helpful. The marshall was friendly and showed me to the range and first tee like a professional. The course was wide open on this day and as a single I played through the only twosome I came upon. After that, I never saw another soul. It was as if it was my own paradise. I highly recommend this course if your in the area and in my opinion there's nothing negative to say. Im booking a spa day for my wife at te Fairmont so I can play again this Saturday!!!

British Columbia Advisor

God I love this place

My second time to the property and I can't get enough. Total world class facility from top to bottom. No complaints at all and for a low handicaper it's challanging from the tips.

It's inspiring to play this course and it makes you want to be a better player. Not many courses evoke these types of emotions.

I would recommend showing up early and staying after for food in their spectacular club house. It's a treat and a life golf moment that you won't forget.

Enjoy! It's worth every penny.

One of best & most scenic tracks I've played

Beautiful course, one of the nicer courses I've ever played. It is very long and challenging. lots of opportunity for error. Can go through a LOT of balls if you are not precise off the tee. Very friendly staff, nice range and practice putting green, and locker rooms. Played for $149.00 instead of the usual $399.00. It was a great deal on a beautiful course. Pro met us on 16 and offered us FREE re-play that day. Will play again when we go back.

One of the most beautiful courese

The Suburban SUVs were part of the motorcade of president Nieto who was there on that day too. Very lucky we did not get bumped off the course.

The turtle was permanent resident of the resort though.

Good but not outstanding

This is a good course, a fun course, but I would not put up there with the best. I'm not sure exactly what was missing. I think the design of the holes were OK but none were so innovative or exceptional that I'd want to go back over again and play. It's also a little pricey for what you get but I suppose that comes with the area. I should say the conditioning of the course was immaculate, and the greens ran true. I'd recommend playing it just keep your expectation levels healthy.

Beautiful Course but bad service

Transfer was late - had 5 minutes to warm up. No cart on arrival and then scrambled to dig up a defective cart (battery issues from hole #1). Crawled around the course for 9 frustrating holes (no course marshall to be seen). Changed cart at #10 but that one had no gps. Pace was excruciatingly slow... granted there are a lot of poor golfers out there mostly enjoying the scenery, but it is the job of marshalls to mitigate the situation. Sad selection at pro shop (for women, at least). We have played almost all of the premium Caribbean courses and the service here was among the worst of them all.

They ride their reputation as the only PGA stop in Mexico; it is truly beautiful course, but the $20 mohito at the clubhouse lounge couldn't wash down our disappointment with the experience as a whole.

Interesting course but expensive

I decided to play this well known course because I was able to find a discounted green fee for the afternoon tee time. I would not have played at their regular green fee.

The dining facility was excellent for a quick bite before or after the game.

The fairways and the greens were in great condition. Surrounding canals, bridges, boats on the canals give character to the course scenery. From the forward tee the course was a very enjoyable resort course. I am sure it is a totally different course from the back tees.

Although the tee sheet seemed full, the pace was smooth.

I found that the rough here is a bit gnarly, I had to take one club up to get the distance.

Overall a great experience.

Perfection

Playing this course was a wonderful experience. The staff was very helpful. Range balls are complimentary. Course conditions were excellent especially for late summer. Very picturesque course. Interesting and challenging layout A real class operation. I do feel plus $200 fee is steep for summer play. Lower afternoon rates are of no use during summer heat.I still plan on playing again this summer although if rate was in the $100 to $125 range I would play more than one round. All in all watching in November pros playing on the same course had the pleasure of playing was pretty cool.

Not worse the money

At the time we have played tons of sand have been on the greens. Unplayable. Nobody told us. They are taking 220 US. Fortunately we had a hot deal. Lay out disappointed us too. There are bette golf courses in the area. Not worse the money.

PGA Tour Stop

Great tropical course with trees, clear water by many holes. Even a large crater on the first hole. Good tee shots a must. You won't find many balls if you hit in the trees and forest running beside many of the holes.

Greg Norman designed and a slope rating of 131 from the Blue tees. Staff was very accommodating. I needed rental clubs which were Titleist AP2 irons and Scotty Cameron putter! Expensive but worth it.

Cozumel, Quintana Roo
Puerto Aventura, Quintana Roo

Valid dates: Mar 01, 2019 - Apr 21, 2019
Get a head start on Spring and experience true southern hospitality with championship golf and charming villas in beautiful South Carolina Lowcountry with the Spring Getaway.