El Camaleon Mayakoba Golf Club

• Carr. Fed. Chetumal-Pto Juarez, Pureto Juarez Km 298 R, Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, 77710
  • 01 (984) 206-4653, 01 (984) 206-3088
  • 01 (984) 206-3077
  • www.mayakobagolfclassic.com

Year built: 2004
Architect(s): Greg Norman (2004)
Type: Resort
Greens: Papalum SeaIsle I Variety

Pull-carts: No
GPS: Yes

Walking allowed: No
Dress code: Collared Shirt, Bermuda Shorts ok.
Credit cards accepted: Visa, MC, AMEX

BOOX 72 7024 yards 73.8 137
SAK 72 6562 yards 71.7 131
YAAX 72 6123 yards 69.5 123
CHAK (W) 72 5070 yards 69.0 119

Location is at a resort worth the drive   Great for wildlife/ scenic views a bucket list/top 100 pick advanced golfers   Challenges include bunkers water hazards plays long   Great for drinks 19th hole scenic views patio dining

"Worth it!"

rmelvinjr's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/21/2017

Not a cheap round but a great value for a PGA caliber playing experience.

"Beauriful experience"

Blaise2014's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/15/2017

Played just after the OHL classic; course was in great condition ; amazing how quick they took down the stands; the course is a classic; it keeps you on your toes you have to control your tee balls or else you will have a long day

Overall a great experience that I fully recommend

"9/12/2017"

Eric8908671's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/12/2017

I played the course while on vacation in Playa del Carmen. Booked through the GolfNow app but didn't get any super discounts. I've been coming to Playa for several years and never played golf here. I thoroughly enjoyed the course. There's a couple unfavorable reviews here but I couldn't disagree more based on my experience. The course was in great shape and the greens were immaculate. On number 1 green I actually thought it was artificial turf until I fixed my divot. In my opinion they were a tad slow for me but consistent and I figured out the speed after a couple holes. There's also some comments about the greens not holding the ball on approach, but I didn't experience that either. They were airating the rough but it had no effect on play. The grounds crew was quickly picking up the plugs behind the tractor. I would recommend staying out of the rough though. It's deceivingly thick and difficult.

The staff was very nice and overly helpful. The marshall was friendly and showed me to the range and first tee like a professional. The course was wide open on this day and as a single I played through the only twosome I came upon. After that, I never saw another soul. It was as if it was my own paradise. I highly recommend this course if your in the area and in my opinion there's nothing negative to say. Im booking a spa day for my wife at te Fairmont so I can play again this Saturday!!!

"God I love this place"

GolfinginBC's avatar
British Columbia Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/13/2017

My second time to the property and I can't get enough. Total world class facility from top to bottom. No complaints at all and for a low handicaper it's challanging from the tips.

It's inspiring to play this course and it makes you want to be a better player. Not many courses evoke these types of emotions.

I would recommend showing up early and staying after for food in their spectacular club house. It's a treat and a life golf moment that you won't forget.

Enjoy! It's worth every penny.

"One of best & most scenic tracks I've played"

Brakedaddy's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/08/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

Beautiful course, one of the nicer courses I've ever played. It is very long and challenging. lots of opportunity for error. Can go through a LOT of balls if you are not precise off the tee. Very friendly staff, nice range and practice putting green, and locker rooms. Played for $149.00 instead of the usual $399.00. It was a great deal on a beautiful course. Pro met us on 16 and offered us FREE re-play that day. Will play again when we go back.

"One of the most beautiful courese"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/13/2017

The Suburban SUVs were part of the motorcade of president Nieto who was there on that day too. Very lucky we did not get bumped off the course.

The turtle was permanent resident of the resort though.

"Good but not outstanding"

hgousopo's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/16/2017

This is a good course, a fun course, but I would not put up there with the best. I'm not sure exactly what was missing. I think the design of the holes were OK but none were so innovative or exceptional that I'd want to go back over again and play. It's also a little pricey for what you get but I suppose that comes with the area. I should say the conditioning of the course was immaculate, and the greens ran true. I'd recommend playing it just keep your expectation levels healthy.

bergman7520's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/16/2017

"Beautiful Course but bad service"

Loisluke123's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/29/2016

Transfer was late - had 5 minutes to warm up. No cart on arrival and then scrambled to dig up a defective cart (battery issues from hole #1). Crawled around the course for 9 frustrating holes (no course marshall to be seen). Changed cart at #10 but that one had no gps. Pace was excruciatingly slow... granted there are a lot of poor golfers out there mostly enjoying the scenery, but it is the job of marshalls to mitigate the situation. Sad selection at pro shop (for women, at least). We have played almost all of the premium Caribbean courses and the service here was among the worst of them all.

They ride their reputation as the only PGA stop in Mexico; it is truly beautiful course, but the $20 mohito at the clubhouse lounge couldn't wash down our disappointment with the experience as a whole.

"Interesting course but expensive"

sunnyduzak's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/16/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I decided to play this well known course because I was able to find a discounted green fee for the afternoon tee time. I would not have played at their regular green fee.

The dining facility was excellent for a quick bite before or after the game.

The fairways and the greens were in great condition. Surrounding canals, bridges, boats on the canals give character to the course scenery. From the forward tee the course was a very enjoyable resort course. I am sure it is a totally different course from the back tees.

Although the tee sheet seemed full, the pace was smooth.

I found that the rough here is a bit gnarly, I had to take one club up to get the distance.

Overall a great experience.

"Perfection"

jenba's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/09/2016

Playing this course was a wonderful experience. The staff was very helpful. Range balls are complimentary. Course conditions were excellent especially for late summer. Very picturesque course. Interesting and challenging layout A real class operation. I do feel plus $200 fee is steep for summer play. Lower afternoon rates are of no use during summer heat.I still plan on playing again this summer although if rate was in the $100 to $125 range I would play more than one round. All in all watching in November pros playing on the same course had the pleasure of playing was pretty cool.

"Not worse the money"

Wolf01's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/21/2016

At the time we have played tons of sand have been on the greens. Unplayable. Nobody told us. They are taking 220 US. Fortunately we had a hot deal. Lay out disappointed us too. There are bette golf courses in the area. Not worse the money.

TravelingMasten's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/07/2016
Previously played Used cart

"PGA Tour Stop"

ambit1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/06/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Great tropical course with trees, clear water by many holes. Even a large crater on the first hole. Good tee shots a must. You won't find many balls if you hit in the trees and forest running beside many of the holes.

Greg Norman designed and a slope rating of 131 from the Blue tees. Staff was very accommodating. I needed rental clubs which were Titleist AP2 irons and Scotty Cameron putter! Expensive but worth it.

"Great course"

bdisend's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/27/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

This was the first time that I played Mayakoba and had a terrific experience. The course was in great shape and staff was very friendly. The practice facilities are included in the greens fee and they were excellent. Warm up was no problem on a warm, Mexican day. I finished warming up early and, since the course was not busy, staff sent me out immediately. Like any course, choosing the right tees dictates the fun and challenge. I'm a 15 handicap and played the white tees (6,000 yds) and that was the perfect choice for me. The fairways are wide and the greens firm. The holes are thoughtfully designed with wind being the biggest factor you have to deal with. Sometimes a two club difference depending on whether the wind is for or against you. I rate this course as one of the best I've played and highly recommend it for experienced golfers from the average "Joe" to the PGA professional.

"A Must Play"

Sandawgz's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/04/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

The staff was very accommodating. They went out of their way to make sure the round was enjoyable. As for the course...I can see why the PGA has choose this course to host their event. Very well maintained and extremely beautiful surroundings. Would highly recommend playing here if you love the game and can spare the $$.

"Beautiful course and scenery, playable fairways and rough"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/22/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

We played this course when we stayed at a nearby resort. The resort membership included a discounted price, so it was only about $140 per person - check with your resort. This was my first non-US course, but it was recommended by our driver and concierge... No drinks or food were included in the price, but a cart was.

The course is beautiful, and I liked the cenotes on several of the holes. The two shortest par-3s are aimed directly into the ocean, so think about your club selection if you hit a high ball. Surprisingly, even hitting into the trees resulted in a findable ball - I think they're so think your ball stops quickly. Just be careful of the alligators. :)

The course fairways were very nice, but the greens were very hard. Stopping a ball from a long distance out was not happening. The greens were fast, and pin placements fairly difficult. The sand traps were pretty hard sand, but in good condition. Chipping and short game were my downfall - the ground around the greens seemed pretty hard as well, and getting under the ball was difficult. And it had been three months since my last round...

I'd play this course again - but there are several others in the area I'm going to try first - just have to wait until the next Riveria Maya vacation.

Commented on 05/18/2016

Which resort did you stay at? I'm travelling there in May 2107 and my resort does not offer any deals on the $299 US Price... :(

"Maya Koba"

777wpsh's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/10/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

Was in Mexico and had to play it. But once is enough for the ridiculous price they charge. $400 for my wife and I on Golfnow .com. The course has some great scenery but not in very good shape. Greens were very poor. Grounds workers were on 14 of 18 holes. Some holes had up to 6 workers and they did not get out of the way. Two tee boxes were flooded by guys with hoses that did not care. We came around after 9 holes and found that they jammed in a beginner foursome in front of us. Never play again for that price. Over rated!

"Well...."

GolfinginBC's avatar
British Columbia Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/27/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather

Well the wait is over and I finally played the famed course. I'll start by saying the course layout, and facility is amazing. Very pleasing to the eye, sand was the best I've played in;) the practice areas are well spaced out and professional.

My problem with the course and I see many others have said the same, was the greens. It's near impossible to go low when they are this bad. Maybe it not prime season, but the just had the OHL here a couple weeks ago. So I don't know what the deal is. I won't go on about it.

Pro shop was lacking, was hoping for more selection and so I could pick a few things out to go home with. Was really bare.

Didn't eat at the restaurant but looked really good. I'm here for another week so might stop by again.

The course is challenging enough, add some wind and you have a greater respect for anyone the can be par and better on this course. It was very difficult.

Landscape was really nice. Reminded me of Waldorf Astoria and Pelican Hill.

Overall, I would play again but the rest of the trip I'll be trying other courses in the area.