The Hard Rock Golf Club Riviera Maya (formerly known as The Golf Club at Playacar) offers the perfect combination of natural beauty and the work of man. This magnificient golf course, carved out of the dense Mayan Jungle is only a few hundred yards away from the crystal-clear, turquoise ocean and the fine white sands of the Mexican Caribbean Sea.

The intelligent architectural design of the golf course has converted Playa del Carmen into one of the most popular tourism destinations in all of Mexico.

Hard Rock Golf Club Riviera Maya

Year Built 1994
Architect Robert von Hagge (1994)

Dress code Collar shirt with sleeves. Formal bermudas or trousers. Tennis or running shoes, golf shoes with soft spikes or golf sandals. No beach shorts nor bathing suits. No blue jeans. No T-shirts.

A decent track

This was a decent course, not my favourite in the area. Greens were a tad slow for my liking. The staff were great, very friendly and accommodating. As far as golf in Mexico the value was good. Didn’t set up well for my eye, maybe some others feel differently.
Still a good track to play.

Great tract but hard

Keep the driver in the bag on the front nine and most of the back. Course was in good condition and the greens held well. Fun course with challenging shots.

Hard course

This is a very nice course. It is a hard course. It is also getting a little tired. It needs some work. Great staff and the all inclusive feature is great. I will play here again, but the course does need some updating. Signs, etc.

Beautiful course, but pace of play was not adhered to...

Let me start by saying this was an absolutely beautiful course! We played here with my 82 yr old grandfather as it was his dream to come and golf this course in Mexico!

However we were unable to finish the course (we actually had to miss 5 holes, which is nearly half a game) because the pace of play was not adhered to at all.

We encountered multiple groups who would not move over and allow us to play through, so we sat and waited on MULTIPLE holes to start, and the course marshalls did not ask them to move either (at one point we were told to hurry up because the group behind us complained we were slow when we were just waiting on the groups ahead of us)

Very disappointed that this happened and we had to leave as our transportation had been booked back to the hotel by the course.

Even after contacting the course to see if we could come back and finish out our game (we mentioned it to the course attendants and the desk guys prior to leaving, and then emailed after returning to the hotel) we received no answer back, or an apology for missing out on finishing. (If we had been slow and that was the reason we missed out, that would be on us, but no one moving or enforcing the pace of play is on the course)

Wet Humid day at Hardrock Playa de Carmen

Loved the course, weather could have been better the day we played, however; it was extremely enjoyable and challenging. The front desk staff was excellent and very helpful, they provided a couple tips, let us know the amenities of the course during our time at the course. The staff getting you ready to play and then off to the course were excellent and friendly. They were able to converse with us very well, (US English) let us know that the rental clubs that we rented would hit the ball straight. You can see the course lay out, and yardage yourself so I will not get into that but the course was in very good condition. even though it was very wet as storms came though for a couple days and that evening. My golf partner mentioned after the first few holes that he did not think it was that tight, I agreed and said it was not, as long as you kept the ball on the fair way and then balls started to elude him. The course provided a very good diverse venue of holes, short and long par 3s, long par 4s as well as a couple of average length, and long par 5s. Is was a course that you need to be in the fairway or very close as the rough width was not very wide on several holes, The greens for us during the day we played did not hold the ball but I also did not have my 60 and 56 degree wedges which I really needed on the course. Putting was true but with the wetness of the course the speed varied. The greens were often small and at time narrow so you need to be on with your short game or you can get in trouble being short on long on the approach. All and all I really enjoyed the day and the course, definitely going back but this time with my own clubs.

A surprising experience

A local club manager had advised me that the Hard Rock was a step down from the Iberostar and Riviera Maya....but it was a baby step. The layout is comfortable but challenging and the fairways were excellent. The greens were not of the standard of the top courses in the world, but for standard Bermuda they matched or exceeded the standard of most Florida courses where I lived and competed for 20 yrs. as a PGA Member. They included round trip transportation from our resort, range balls, and all Refreshment cart offerings. Amateurs in our group paid $150 and all truly enjoyed the day.

Hard Rock hard test

This course is tough. The fairways are tight, with jungle on both sides and lots of dogleg holes. The wind always seems to play a big factor and you're well advised to play a couple of extra clubs into several holes protected by water hazards (No. 9 and No. 18). The sand traps are gigantic. The greens, although not the fastest, vary in size from tiny to huge.The good news is your greens fee includes all drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) plus food. The staff is friendly and helpful.

Excellent

Great course with a mixture of risk and reward holes. Staff are very friendly and can’t do enough for you. Drinks and food service is fantastic. Would highly recommend.

Not Worth the money they charge

Been in the Playa Del Carmen area for almost two weeks and this is one or four courses I've played. I'd rank it 2 out of the 4 - For the amount of money they charge you to play here, * I used a hot deal tee time with a discount code and still payed over $110 * you'd think that the employees would be very welcoming. I'm from out of town and didn't bring my clubs, so had to rent. The best clubs that they had to offer were a very old set of Cobras. The issue that I have with that is the 4 iron head popped right off the first time I pulled it out of the bag, and the 6 iron had it's logo on the heel of the club hot glued back on. The course wasn't in as good of shape as I'd assumed it would be in. Range balls were included with the round, but when I mentioned hitting some balls, they gave me about 20 in a tiny bucket and had me walk to the range, they wouldn't let me take the cart for some reason. drinks and snacks were free, light Mexican beers and peanuts and chips. If you're in the area and looking for a great course to play for the same or less money, please look into the Gran Coyote. it's just north of Playa Del Carmen, and so much better!

Amazing course

Nice course in perfect condition - some holes very challenging but all doable. Lots of length, multiple doglegs and in play bunkers. When I played there were some 4 balls on the course but didn’t bother me. Great service - met the refreshment cart 5 times during my round with cool water and snacks - after the game wet towels were provided and after that cool down we were welcomed to have a meal. Great stuff all around - price is steep but I payed via Golfnow App ( 90us$ ). Giving the service...a steal!

Hard Rock Rivera Maya

First the bad, greens were punched and sanded. Learned about this the day before. Course was in great shape otherwise. Tight fairways was the review and they were tight on most of the course. We were out early to try to beat the humidity. Nope it was a jungle out there. Pun intended. Cart person made their way around 3 times. Great value for our round because it included resort pickup and ride back as well as food and drinks. Played El Chameleon before this and that place was wow!

Hard Rock Golf-Playa Del Carmen

To start, the shuttle pick-up was perfectly on time. The golf course was in decent shape, but it was not very busy.. The brakes on the golf cart did not work, but other that that, all went well. The drink and snack cart visited fairly often and also offered sandwiches. The course was not as challenging as expected (compared to other Hard stock courses) and its route crossed several public roads. Alejandra, the server at the restaurant was wonderful , attentive and very efficient in preparing our drinks and meals. Then after our shuttle ride back to our hotel was uneventful.
Overall aver positive experience at hard rock , Playa del Carmen..

Slow pace with the Marshall pushing the group in front of us along constantly. Great staff and great grounds. Very pleased with the exception of the pace. Would definitely play there again.

Beautiful and Challenging

Check-in went well, hit some practice balls and headed out. A slow group with a beginner let us play through which was much appreciated. Lots of sand and water and rocks, so challenging to judge your second shot. Only challenge was the timing of the shuttle back to the hotel with a mid-afternoon tee-time as there wasn’t enough time to complete the round, though admittedly we played slower than usual. Would definitely play here again.

We were very happy to play this golf and were surprised we the all included for food and beverages!

Holiday golf

Tight course with lots of wild life to keep you busy while you stand around waiting to play your shot. Sloooow ... that apart, it was fun and with a GolfNow deal and an all inclusive food cart and buffet at the end it means good value.

Cozumel, Quintana Roo
Puerto Aventura, Quintana Roo

Valid dates: Apr 03, 2020 - Oct 24, 2020
Sunriver Resort's Unlimited Stay & Play Golf Package includes unlimited play on Meadows, Woodlands or Caldera Links along with one round at the famed Crosswater Club per day during your stay. Better yet—your lodging is included! Two person, two night minimum stay required.