Moon Spa & Golf Club - Dunes Course

Moon Spa & Golf Club has the distinction of being the first Jack Nicklaus-designed golf course in Cancun. The course is divided into three nine-hole, par-36 layouts: Jungle, Lakes, and Dunes. The holes sprawl across the scenic, rolling landscape of the Riviera Maya, drawing their names from the defining features of the terrain. Each nine presents a different set of challenges. The Dunes Course plays through sandy dunes, but the native wetland areas have also been deftly incorporated into the design. The local vegetation provides a scenic accent to the course. Golfers will have numerous strategically placed bunkers to contend with but the golf course is not too intimidating for beginners. There are also four sets of tees that make it more approachable to a wider range of skill levels.
Black 36 3597 yards
Par 4 5 3 4 4 5 4 3 4 36 72

Year Built 2002
Fairways Paspalum grass
Greens Paspalum grass
Architect Jack Nicklaus (2002)

Pull-carts No

Caddies Yes
Golf School Academy Yes - "Moon Palace Golf Academy"

Walking Allowed No

Playing Multiple Courses 6

Overall, I would rate the courses at Moon Palaces as EXCELLENT. We played all 3 nine holes...the Jungle , Dunes and Lakes 3 times... Nice layout and somehow challenging. We played from the white . Fairways, greens, rough, and tee boxes were in impeccable shape. Traps were tough but very nice, .this is a must play course if you are staying at Moon Palace.

We brought our own shoes, balls and gloves and clubs . Bring your own balls. Buying is expensive

golf unlimited instead of room credits to cover the greens fees, but you will have to pay for the cart US $38).

no GPS. Buy a yardage book at the pro shop for US $3.

Courses was a bit crowded.

Over priced

Disclosure: I ot to play this as comp for attending a ownership presentation.

Beautiful facility but if you where to pay for this course then you can get far better value. A course of this statue should have gps avail or yardage books at the very least provided.

This can be a very challenging course if you do not play the yardage to you cap. I've layer here before but my son had not and he lost over 10 balls!

Plenty of refreshments stations on the course and everything is included with your green fee.

Rental clubs were he latest Callawys and in very good condition - just needed getting used to (I'm a Cobra guy)

The biggest surprise for us was the lunch afterwards - the very best Mexican fare we have experienced on our 16 day vacation - really really excellent.

So, play within your cap, stay patient and take LOTS of golf balls with you

Peace & Love.

Moon Palace Golf Review

First, my background. I am an avid golfer from the U.S., a member at a private club and a 12 HC. We played on May 2, 2017. Overall, I would rate the courses at Moon Palaces as EXCELLENT. We played the Dunes and Lakes. Incredible layout and very challenging. We played from the blues (6,600 yds). Fairways, greens, rough, and tee boxes were in impeccable shape. Traps were pretty rough. Sand was very hard, almost like clay. However, this is a must play course if you are staying at Moon Palace.

Important notes:

We brought our own shoes, balls and gloves. Rented clubs (US $42). Bring your own balls. Buying a dozen on site will cost $80-$120.

You can use room credits to cover the greens fees, but you will have to pay the taxes (US $40).

Load up on waters before heading out...only two beverage stations are located on the course.

There is no GPS. Buy a yardage book at the pro shop for US $3.

We were a 3-some and our round took 4.5 hours. Course was not overly crowded. It was just a tough layout that took time to play.

Jack had a blast designing these 9 holes... WOW!

My review for Dunes is simple... the toughest of the 3 nines at Moon Palace but fun to play for the intermediate to advanced player. The design is fantastic and the yardage is underestimated by a long shot.

Have fun!!! This one is well worth it.

Course is nice, management is a disaster

We booked a tee time for 2:30, showed up to play and with no warning, they moved our time to 4:06. At this point we got a little upset and tried reasoning with first the woman behind the desk and then with the starter. The starter lied to us and told us he could get us on at 3:30 for sure and maybe even earlier. 3:30 rolls around we approach him he says he'll call us when he's ready. At 4:15 we finally tee off. By this time there's not enough daylight left over to play the whole round.. After paying for such an expensive round, I would expect better. And it seemed like most golfers there were having similar issues.. I will never go back again

MitchJames
Commented On 02/14/2015

No towels, no Ts, no score card, no pencils, very few and poor quality rakes in the sand bunkers. A course like this at home for half the price would be out of business in two months. Someone tell Jack!!!

Add to your list to play!

Nicklaus designed this course well. I played the Dunes and Lakes . A nice blend of holes weaved through tropical vegetation with well positioned deep white sand bunkers and lakes very much in play. Caution: Cancun time changed 2/1/15, your "real" starting time will be an hour later than you planned. The starter did his best to get off as soon as possible, however starting at 2:30PM local time just allowed for enough time to finish before dark! You will be glad you played here. If you do not get a discounted rate I would play Iberostar Pariso which I believe is a better value and just another 15 minutes further by car from Cancun.

Incredible value

I strongly recommend the course, particularly if you get a discount on GolfNow... it's truly all inclusive, so the sandwiches and beers and range balls are free. Great service.

Great feature

Very well laid out course except long backup on par 3s

Great Golf at the Moonn

I am a VIP member of palace resorts, have played the golf course since it opened in 2003. It is a great golf course, you can get unlimited golf with your stay by giving up your resort credit and just paying cart fees of 29 dollars a day. Our golf trip last year was first we had rain and this course can take a ton of it and still be playable. I am a 6 handicap and play the blue tees. The hardest of the 3 nines is Dunes, then River, then Jungle. The staff can be a little difficult to communicate with, the employees at the golf course speak very little English, but enough to get it done. Moon Palace is my favorite resort of the Palace resorts. I recommend you take your next golf trip there, you will love it!

Slow pace of play!!!

They overbook this course!! Way too packed with people. Nice condition, but greens are a bit slow. Nice if you want to play a 6 hour round. Saw some nice wildlife, coati and small crocodiles. Coati are very aggressive and take food out of your cart though. Unlimited food and drinks was a plus and needed this to pass the time with the slow play. Mosquitoes are very bad at dusk. Leave before this time or get eaten alive! Course is super expensive unless you book the 2:30 tee time, which is $70. Before or after this time is $170-$250, which is a joke. I booked 2 tee times but did not play the 2nd day because of the experience the first day.

Cancun, Quintana Roo