The Nicklaus Course at Vista Vallarta Golf Club is one of two championship courses at the club, the other was designed by Tom Weiskopf. The Nicklaus Course is perched atop the property's highest elevation, offering spectacular views of Puerto Vallarta and the Bay of Banderas. The course tumbles across grassy hillsides covered with dense forests of palms and giant ficus trees. True to Nicklaus' style, the wildly undulating greens are balanced by generous driving areas. He also chose to route the holes along the natural contours of the land, giving each hole a unique character. One of the most talked-about holes on the golf course is the par-5 third, which is ranked as the toughest. This 550-yard monster demands three strong shots in order to make it onto the elevated green in regulation, but the tricky part is that the elevation rises a bit more with each shot.

Vista Vallarta Golf Club - Nicklaus Course

Year Built 2001
Architect Jack Nicklaus (2001) Chet Williams (2001)

Carts Yes - included in green fee

Caddies Yes

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discovery

Good shape, great staff

Course was in good condition, greens fast and true. Great staff in all areas

Nicklaus corurse Puerto Vallarta

Tee boxes worn out fairways not pro standards. Greens excellent with some nasty pin placements

Classic Nicklaus. Great layout and interesting to play.

Greens Are Diabolical

Definitely The Tougher of the 2 courses, The Greens are Mean, Take a Caddy on this track, it will save you a lot of heartache. With the Mountains and ravines it just too difficult to read if you haven’t played it Multiple times. More Open off the tee than The Other track but Overall tougher with the elevation changes. Bring Your A - Game.
I definitely recommend both courses.

Beautiful Views

Beautiful views and elevation changes. One of the prettiest courses I’ve played. Challenging enough but if accuracy is your thing you’ll do well here.

A beautiful course headed to disrepair

We have golfed here for 7 years while on vacation. It’s a beautiful location however it is falling into disrepair.

Tee boxes are hacked up, fairways have lots of quack grass, greens were sanded (we know this needs to be done, but on Dec 31st at peak season?) sand traps had endless foot prints in them. It was as if someone was running around in every trap!

Staff are very friendly but there is only so much they can do if management does provide resources. We usually golf 3 or 4 times, we will not. We will try other courses this time

Fun course

Both Vista Vallarta courses are well taken care of and enjoyable to play. The pace of play was fantastic and the staff were very friendly. Will be back soon.

Not as anticipated.

Booked a 1:03 tee time on GolfNow. Arrived at the course at noon to allow time for a quick lunch and range time. Upon checking in at the golf shop I was informed that the course and facility would be closing at 4:00. Very frustrated to find out that we would have only 3 hours to play 18 holes. The starter did allow us to tee off early but what should have been a lovely afternoon of golf ended up being a hurried experience.

Nice Course/Great Day of Golf

We tee-d off at 7:30 and therefore had nobody in front on us and finished our round in 3:20. I think the next group didn’t tee off till 10:00. But when we were wrapping up noted that the course was getting somewhat busier and a bus of golfers soon arrived.

I read the reviews of others and didn’t experience some of their frustrations. The bunkers had lots of sand. We rented clubs and they weren’t exactly brand new but they weren’t crap either. I played a decent Calaway set and my son played a decent Taylormade set. Our only comment would be that the cart girl didn’t have lots of selections. We would have liked sandwiches or burritos but as we were the only ones playing for the first two hours not sure more selections would have been economical.

We share the view that the staff were excellent and I would also add that a few members we met were as well. We had a great conversation with a member from the Caribbean.

One warning for early players, the pro shop doesn’t open until 7:00 am so don’t plan on spending a lot of time on the range, chipping and putting.

We enjoyed the round

Staff are friendly. They greet you with a smile. Course are in great shape. Challenging. When I visit Puerto Vallarta again, I will make sure I will play this course again.

Best course in Puerto Vallarta

I vacation in Puerto Vallarta a couple of times per year, and Vista Vallarta is by far the best course in the area, particularly the Nicklaus course which is tougher and offers a better variety of holes and better views than the somewhat monotonous Weiskopf track. You will play in near isolation and can move at whatever pace you desire. Despite having hosted a WGC event — and all the players’ lockers remain visible as a reminder — this is no longer a Tour quality course. The greens are consistent, but the maintenance is much like any better muni course in the states. But it far exceeds any of the other options in the area. It is way overpriced, but you can find select discounted tee times if you’re not tied to playing in the morning.

Wow

Played the Nicholas course today. Course is in fantastic condition aerration over a month ago, ball rolling true. Great breeze and wife cleared most the ravens. Beer was cold. Playing the Weiskopf on a few days!!! We love jungle golf!!!!!

Although greens and been punched and sanded in the last two weeks, making them pretty slow, the course was otherwise in very good condition. Pace was excellent as we had no one in front of us. Have played Vista many times, both the Nicklaus and Weiskopf. Price a bit steep, but we caught a Golf Now “Great Deal”, so it was a great value. We will return.

Long course

Not the first time that we played this course. Looked like it was rather dry. Palm foliage looked as though they needed trimming. Lots of dead fronds hanging down. The ground foliage was cut way back along fairways and removed the foliage from the ditches/ crevices that cross the fairways. Made for faster pace of play. I found it to be challenging but fun. Greens were in good condition. They were quite fast.

We played mid afternoon which was the warmest part of they day. The cart girls were a welcome sight as they made their rounds. Over all we had a positive golf experience and are looking forward to playing there again next week.

Nicholas course

Wonderful setting. We had a slow round due to a couple of large groups that went off before us. Slowed us down considerable, beverage service was insufficient. Ordered sandwiches at the turn and they delivered them to us on the course very good sandwich. Would be nice to have a phone out on the course to order. Our round was 4:45 not what i expect on a nice and expensive course.

Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco
Higuera Blanca, Bahía de Banderas
San Francisco, Nayarit

Valid dates: Jan 21, 2020 - Jan 31, 2022
Stay at Solitude Inn on the Green and play one of the best course in SE Michigan, Solitude Links Golf Course. Learn more.