Vista Vallarta Golf Club - The Weiskopf Course

Vista Vallarta Golf Club offers two championship courses, one designed by Jack Nicklaus and the other by Tom Weiskopf. The Weiskopf Course provides a dramatically different round from the Nicklaus design. The other golf course sits atop the property's highest elevation while this one is situated at the lower west end. As you step onto the course and see the dense jungles that sprawl across deep ravines, you will hardly believe that it is still the same property. It offers the same level of challenge as the Nicklaus Course but some high handicappers prefer this one since there are fewer blind shots and the greens are more receptive, making them not quite as tricky. The 15th is an uphill par 3 that is probably the golf course's most memorable hole. This challenging hole requires a carry past a ravine to multi-tiered green that is surrounded by bunkers on all sides.
Vista Vallarta Golf Club - Weiskopf Course
Scorecard for Weiskopf
Gold M: 73.1/123 424 355 140 518 450 409 211 480 388 3375 624 395 412 194 423 190 466 568 346 3618 6993
Blue M: 70.7/121 405 334 121 451 414 377 187 450 377 3116 569 363 388 176 391 173 457 523 310 3350 6466
White M: 69.2/117 W: 70.2/119 349 306 105 414 362 341 164 439 361 2841 497 332 370 151 342 147 432 493 271 3035 5876
Red W: 66.9/109 309 211 92 357 312 286 136 359 290 2352 438 272 326 91 292 124 349 460 239 2591 4943

Year Built 2001
Architect Tom Weiskopf (2001)

Carts Yes - included in green fee

Caddies Yes

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discovery

Beautiful golf courses at Vista

It’s not at its peak today but overall, one of the best courses in Vallarta.

Fabulous

Although the weather was drizzling, we loved the scenery and the course was in mint condition. Staff were excellent. Challenging, one of the nicest courses we’ve ever played.

Stunning

Course was well maintain. Great views of the mountain. Some tee are elevated. Greens are very tricky. Few par five are short that are potential birdie opportunities. Bucker could have been more softer. I had a great time.

Great course and layout

First time playing this course and really enjoyed it. The layout really makes you think and good course management can help you shoot a low round. Playing off the whites catered well for a group of mixed handicaps. The shorter hitters could hit their drivers and if reasonably straight they would be in a good position but meant the longer hitters may have to take irons to thread it through small gaps and lay up to nice distances. Would recommend if you can get a good hot deal. Hopefully trying out the Nicklaus later this week.

Fun in the Jungle

Loved the course and every single staff member from the starter to the cart girl to the bartender in the clubhouse is amazing!!!

Good

This is a great course for an express pace round. I’m a single handicap and love playing wherever I go. I don’t take things too seriously but definitely appreciate positive staff and the ability to get around a nice course in a good time, especially if it’s rather hot and muggy on the course. This place ticked all the boxes and I had a blast! It’s expensive and it’s 30 minutes away (minimum) from where you’ll be staying but it’s definitely worth it.

Course - Solid, great conditions, enjoyable layout that really tests your mid and short irons. Not a long tee shot requirement outside of a par 5 and par 4 on the back but plenty of 130 to 210 iron shots available. I loved this course and will play again.

TIP - Book the 1pm ish GolfNow rates as you’ll be back and ready for a 6pm dinner (if you wish) and feeling good.

Course was well worth the drive. Great staff very interesting layout and great condition.

Golf in the jungles of Puerto Vallarta

The debate rages on: Which is the best course at Vista Vallarta?

My take remains the same from when I played the two courses more than a decade ago: I like the Nicklaus course a tiny bit better, but a good argument could easily sway me to the other team. It's that close. I do think the Weiskopf course sports the best stretch of holes on property - from holes 12-15 - and some of the best holes on property (no. 12 and no. 15 specifically). I also love No. 8, a short par 5 (450 yards from the blues) that proves Weiskopf has a better understanding than Nicklaus for how most amateurs play. Or is he simply more sympathetic to our plight? I was near the green in two (with no excuse for not reaching in two) and still only made par. I like that he ends the round with his signature drivable par 4 (310 yards from the blues), but I think it could have been better executed.

Vista Vallarta's Hacienda-style clubhouse is a great spot for food and drinks. This might be ClubCorp's best public facility. I haven't found one better yet.

Plenty good

As context, I have played 40+ years, lots of world class courses, and play 80+ rounds per year. Greens were outstanding, fast, smooth, receptive... among the very best. Fairways were good enough, not bad at all, suspect the whole area is needing rain. Bunkers excellent. Negative was that a shot a bit offline can get into bad trouble quick, some areas with dead leaves made it hard to find ball. All in all, a very tough very nice course. Golf Now rate made it excellent value.

One of my favourites

I love Vista Vallarta's two courses and play here whenever we are in PV. The Weiskopf course might be my favourite but that's probably just because I score better here than on the Nicklaus course. The greens are always fast and pure, the tees and fairways are good. I love that the fairway bunkers are firm while the greenside ones are less so. Allows you to play a proper shot out of them. The service here is awesome, especially in the clubhouse after the round. The guys there are very friendly and always a pleasure to talk to. I highly recommend Vista to everyone, just look for a deal, neither course is worth the rack rate.

Great Challange for All Levels

Course website does not do it justice. Beautiful course which provides challenges for all levels of golfers. Greens can be a little fast and somewhat grainy but they are watered during the day and I teed off a 1:30 on a 30 degree day. A bit of wind. Drink cart came by 3 to 4 times during round. Spend the $3 and get a hole guide. Well worth the hotdeal rate of $75 - $100 USD. Would definitely play again. Mountain course with some ravines, tiered greens, but not too difficult if you tee off on the right tees.

Weiskopf

Very nice facility. Courses are in excellent shape. Just not worth the rack rate. If you can get a golf now hot deal for under $100, you will enjoy it.

Fun Course

We decided to try this course, as it was recommended by a fellow golfer at another course we were playing at. The deal through Golf Now was ok, but definitely not worth the rack rate. The staff was super friendly. We were a little surprised when we had to pay for ice and water, at the other course we have been playing at, this is provided, at least one bottle of water per person. However, we totally enjoyed the course. I had forgotten my GPS at home, and sure could have used it, as there were a few holes that had us guessing at distances. We could have purchased a booklet of the course layout in the pro shop, but I think this could be provided, at least in a simple form. There is no indication of how the hole plays whatsoever. The greens were lightning fast, and a little grainy, but after a few 3 putts, we got the hang of them. Overall, a great day I the sunshine, no birdies, but a few pars. We would like to try it again, now that we know a couple of the funky holes, but unfortunately have run out of time.

Vista Vallerta Weiskopf Course

Great course, good condition and friendly staff. The only recommendation I would make is to fins a course layout, whether from Google Earth, maps, etc. We did not take a caddy a few holes left us guessing where to hit our tee shot. Pro shop should have avaialble a simple layout. Otherwise great experience and I would play this course again.

Pricey!!

We enjoyed playing the course, but felt it was greatly overpriced!!!

Beautiful Course

The Course Looks Like They Cut it Out of The Middle of a Jungle. Great Mountain Veiws and Cliffs. The Greens were a Little Grainy but Roll-True; and were Lighting Fast. Weather was Perfect . It was 19 degrees back Home 87 here, what’s Not To Like. Very Nice Track but You’d Be Disappointed if You Payed The Rack-Rate of $250.00. It’s Peak Season here and they are Taking Adavntage of it. Definitely worth the Play through Golfnow.

Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco