View of the 8th hole from The Golf Club at Dove Mountain Saguaro Course

The Golf Club at Dove Mountain

Year Built 2009
Fairways Bermuda with Perennial rye overseed
Greens Bentgrass
Architect Jack Nicklaus (2009) Chet Williams (2009)

Pull-carts No

Available Sports

Fitness, Tennis

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 114

summer golf in AZ

Arizona summer golf, hot and windy. Especially windy today, gusts in the 40s!! I bet the wind cost me 5 strokes a side...but it does make for an entertaining round of golf!
Best practice facility around, I always go early so I have plenty of time to work on my short game.
Greens are smooth and undulating but not too fast right now, putting is sort of pleasant instead of terrifying.
There is construction too, and the cart path is blocked, so good luck finding hole #5 on Tortolita, it isn't marked at all.
Pace of play was excellent, on a hot week day like this there's almost nobody on the course.

Disappointing conditions

I know it is summer & the number of golfers is down & water is expensive but the course is in the worst shape ever. Fairways are very dried out. Sand traps are like cement. We only played 9 holes & went to the Highlands golf course & played the other 9. Their course is lush & green.

Father’s Day

Today was Father’s Day, and tee off time was mid morning around 7:00-8:00 am. The entire round had NO CART PERSON and the coarse was booked. Paying $100 a round and not having refreshments (beer, water, etc) out on the coarse is absolutely ridiculous, especially during Father’s Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not to mention that the pin placements on the carts GPS didn’t match ANY of the hole locations. For instance the GPS would tell you the pin was in the front location and it was actually in the far back location. Sometimes the difference was about 25-30 yards. I was very disappointed with the coarse management in these two instances. As far as the how the coarse looked, well absolutely Phenomenal, Beautiful, True, and TUFF.

Underwhelming for price

This course didn’t live up to my expectations. It was not in very good shape — greens were shaggy and slow, fairways brown with a lot of bare spots, bunkers were rock hard. The scenery and views are outstanding, and there are some interesting holes. Buttoo many forced carries in my opinion (especially around greens).

It has a lot of potential and I’m sure it was an excellent track when the PGA played here, but seems to have fallen off.

Great layout, thought I would pass out, from heat and no water.

Evidently I could have brought my ice chest with me in the cart, and there was a halfway house but I did not get any info on were the halfway house or about the ice chest Yes I should probably have asked, I did ask if there would be any place to get water on the course. I was told there was a cart person, never saw him or her for 4 hours. The only reason I could play 18 is because there was a water fountain after 9 holes. You need water in 105 degree weather. I told the staff it was my first time there and the only information I got was where the first tee was. There were no tee markers on the course. I am not sure how you get covid with tee markers in place. It is a great layout that my group of 24 would have enjoyed playing ,that plays a yearly event at different cities on 4 different courses. I cannot recommend Dove Mountain. Good thing I was very hydrated today before the round.

Looks a bit dry but is in good shape

It's the dry time of year and the house shows it. The dry patches are nice turf though and eminently playable. Greens are, overall, really good. This is a great time to experience Dove, for cheap. Photo was taken to document the Bighorn Fire, but does show the nice green with fairway & rough in foreground.

Do not waste your money!

All please do not waste your money; highly overrated. Presently the course is dry- dead..... does not look like the course have been watered and maintained for some time now. Greens were bushy/ long and sand (if one can call it sand) was hard, had Little Rock’s throughout and most traps could utilize an overhaul.

Carts - dirty for a high end course..... went to 6 carts looking for a pencil before asking staff.

Beverage cart- what beverage cart, not 1 on the course. In 93 degree it would been nice concerning there were no water coolers.

Like I said, please do not waste your money, there are 4-5 other courses in better shape for half the cost.

Excellent test of your skills

This course has been on my have to play list. Fantastic course and was in excellent condition considering 100+ degrees. This course is tough, bring your A game.

Way overpriced

Arrived staff was nice no problems with the employees. Conditions actually this was a surprise. I was expecting amazing conditions for the price and the reputation. I believe tournaments were held here at some point in the past. The conditions were dry and some fairways were smoked burnt out. Tee boxes poorly marked and I just expected more. Course is a desert target course not very forgiving. I play all over the country and I average in the mid 80s. Just not fun. Didn’t loose any balls scored 91. Probably wouldn’t play here again unless course was redesigned or price is lowered. I played the pines and found this course more enjoyable and a much better price point.

Dove Mountain

This is a challenging course. From the men’s forward tee still required distance to cover the washes. Must drive straight or it will be a frustrating round of golf. Enjoy the scenery and pace of play. Greens were not as quick as it should have been but overall conditions are great for this time of the year.

Making the best of it.

As with all the courses in AZ conditions are not ideal. But while I appreciate that restrictions apply to golfers I think this course is falling short on some simple issues. Lets start with tee markers. Not sure why they just lay them on the side of the cart path and don't place them where you should hit from. Also it would be nice if the bunkers were raked before play starts each day. Also lets talk about the GPS caddie. Many, if not all, of the flag positions were on the opposite side of where he GPS showed them. With so many blind or elevated greens this is a big issue especially if you are counting on the system and arrive without your own range finder. But my biggest issue is with "Shark Experience". When I booked my tee time on GOLFNOW i was forced to accept a $5 surcharge to utilize this service. When I attempted to use it at the course initially there was no cell service to access it, Then once I was able to access the service it asked me to pay $4.95 again. No $5 isn't a big deal but it is a rip off.

Beautiful, challenging course

The course is amazing. The setting is out of this world beautiful.
It’s a very difficult course with lots of layups and washes to hit over. The greens are very undulating and very challenging.
The staff are wonderful. They are very helpful and kind. They have a great attitude.

1st time and it was GREAT !!

Golfed with some buddies that raved about this course. Very exclusive and great service there. Now that I have golfed there I totally agree.
Will be back again soon.

Marana, Arizona