Type Private/Resort
The Golf Club at Dove Mountain

Year Built 2009
Fairways Bermuda with Perennial rye overseed
Greens Bentgrass
Architect Jack Nicklaus (2009) Chet Williams (2009)

Pull-carts No

Caddies Yes - Forecaddies
Practice Hole Yes

Credit Cards Accepted Yes
Walking Allowed No

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 114

If you are in Tucson you must play this course...

Unnecessary Unprofessional attitude and ridiculous wait times at the turn

My brother and I decided to play the Golf Course at Dove Mountain because we have had several good experiences over the years and we have attended the Accenture Match Play Tournament many times. I am from Seattle and my brother is local to Oro Valley. I booked through Golf Now. We arrived and I entered the Pro Shop to check in. I was greeted and upon noticing I had jeans on the guy working asked if I had other pants with me. I said no, I was in from Seattle staying about 45 minutes away at the Westin La Paloma. He then curtly said that I couldn’t play with jeans on. I responded again that I was from Seattle, worked at a top golf course there, and most courses there allowed jeans. Nowhere on your website or GolfNow did it suggest that restriction. He replied that they must be “public” golf courses and he’s from the Northwest -Spokane and I was wrong about the jean policy. I told him that it was this course that appears behind the trend. I was wearing a nice polo, a nice sweater, and a golf hat from Silverado Country Club, where I had played this past summer, IN JEANS. I bought some shorts to end his smug commentary. He was kind enough to give me a discount, resulting in shorts for $50 (obviously a healthy markup). At the turn we stopped for a hot dog (which took almost 30 minutes, because the snack shack had closed early and we were directed to the restaurant. I know it was that long because we were able to watch the entire third quarter of the Steeler/Brown game. The twosome who had been joined with us played on and nobody passed us up. We did not see a cart girl the entire day and the weather was perfect. Imagine my surprise to find all the servers in the restaurant wearing- wait for it JEANS !!! Talk about hypocrisy.
During our warm-up we saw another 4 golfers warming up. 2 of them were paired with us and the other two were a member and his son. They played 2 holes in front of us and then quit. We saw 1 single coming off the course and another 4 making the turn. Those were the entirety of the golfers we saw the entire day. My point - they were not so busy they should be trying to alienate visitors.
After making the turn, my brother was so frustrated he quit playing. I was unhappy but had just spent over $225 and wasn’t going to quit.
I might have when I found out we were playing the Tortulini course as our second nine, which was now “cart path only“ and obviously the track that felt like we were going through a construction zone. The front nine did not have that restriction and had I know that restriction I would have chosen another course. I recently came off an Achilles injury and have some mobility limitations.
Personally this experience wasn’t worth even the “hit deal” price - it is unlikely we will return here.

course condition

Course is in excellent condition. Fairways and greens where receptive and rolling true.

Great course with great views and excellent fairways. Greens put true. Need course Marshall to maintain pace of play. Threesome two groups ahead were slow and did not allow for playing through. Nobody ahead of them. Otherwise, had a great time...

Not very handicap friendly

The golf carts prevent you getting on par 3’s and areas near the greens.
Required much too much walking for any person with limited mobility.

Outstanding...except for the roller coaster greens

I got an excellent Sunday afternoon Hot Deal ($90) on GolfNow. The staff was friendly and attentive. The pace was reasonable for a Sunday afternoon - 4-ish hours. Course conditioning was excellent. Layout was excellent: Landing areas were generous off the tee for a desert course. Course was outstandingly beautiful with hardly a house to be seen. It is critical to pick the right tees, otherwise every approach shot will be 200 yards. Bunkers were typical firm AZ bunkers - firm underneath with just a bit of loose on top. Lunch at the restaurant was excellent: great food, service, and ambiance but the menu was somewhat limited. You must pick the right spots for your approaches. My one complaint: Jack screwed up the green contouring. I am an avid mid handicap golfer. I’ve played a wide selection of courses. I have never seen greens with such steep contours. They’re almost absurd / comical. Not appropriate for a resort course for sure. Probably not appropriate for ANY course. Still, as a Tucson resident I will be back if I can find another Hot Deal. I just have to hit my approach shots closer

The course always wins.

I play Dove mountain about twice a year. It takes .me 6 months or so to forget that this place really has my number.
It is a gorgeous course, and if you hit the ball straight all.the.time. you will do ok.
Many holes have fairway sand traps, you should avoid these. There is also sand guarding elevated greens and these will be the death of your round. Stay away!

But, the real challenge are the greens. Diabolical slopes and slants that will leave you with impossible side hill putts. A TON of local knowledge is needed here to play them properly. And it really is a shame that so few golfers on resort courses repair their ball marks. What's up with that?? I fixed 5 on every hole.

The practice range and pitching green are wonderful and scenic...just like you saw on tv for the Accenture Match Play Championships. The Grill has a wonderful menu and best of all, good beer!

Go play where the Tour played, but be ready...the course always wins!

Privilege

It is such a privilege to be able to golf at a golf course of this caliber.

Fun Outing

Got a good hot deal. Can’t complain too much about the conditioning, which wasn’t as good as I was expecting for a course that used to host the tour. Course is still getting together from overseed.

venues are beautifull.

greeted quickly by bag staff. had to wait at the front counter while the desk staff worked on some computer booking issue. finally told us we were prepaid and go out. I had to come back in to see if we had a single joining us, they said we did but he was early and probably already gone. no starter o tell us to go and the group in front of us were quite slow and a marshal would have been a good thing to have monitoring . when we went to the back nine, a very slow twosome had gone in front of us even though wenhadn't stopped at the turn. no bag staff around when we finished. carried out bags out. not happy.

Always an enjoyable challenge

I always enjoy playing where the pros played during the Accenture Match play. Of course there are many tees from which to choose as to match the challenge you wish to take on. The course is in great shape, and not too difficult even if it is Cart Path Only on one of the Nines. The practice balls are always a great warm up, and the GPS matches my Garmin. Just stay out of the desert and yo will be fine. Even the bunkers are fun to play from.

Always fun to play

The greens can be crazy and you have to make good approach shots but even just after overseeing, this still played well. Greens were true but a little slow. But you have to love the tee deck combo offering to set most players up for the right experience.

Perfection

What a jem, fairways and greens perfect, greens very fast and firm, beauty all around, please play this course!

Very good for $70 - greens are challenging due to contour and ongulation

Best condition course in Tucson !! Super friendly staff, good range and amazing course conditions with great views!

Beware of overseeding conditions

If you go in October and can’t drive on the fairways, I’d skip this course as we had to walk way too much from the cart to the ball. I’d rather have just walked the course with the amount of extra steps needed to go for the path to the cart and then back again. So many holes didn’t have direct access to the fairway so you have to walk forward and backwards to the cart with each swing. Made the round longer and tiresome after 18 holes. The beauty of the course is spectacular- I’d love to play again when I can drive on the fairways.

Good, Not Great

Greens and fairways excellent. Couple of green side bunkers in need of sand. Patchy turf around some greens. Skeleton staff and halfway house closed at 1:30. Could have used a ranger to push foursome in front of us, luckily there let us play through at turn.

Valid dates: Dec 05, 2019 - Nov 01, 2020