Type Public/Municipal

Year Built 2005
Architect Pete Dye (2005) Tim Liddy (2005) MacCurrach Golf

Golf Simulator Yes

Credit Cards Accepted VISA, MasterCard, American Express

used to be a great course

Recently played this course after not playing it for several years. It was always a destination course for me, great layout, fast and true greens and all around a fabulous course. Played it today and was totally shocked at how bad it has become, horrible fairways (dry patches everywhere, half brown and thin grass. The greens were equally bad, rough and patchy as well, and they charged 72 dollars to play! Whatever is going on there I will certainly not return for a re-play.

Commented on 10/16/2019

Thank you for your honest review. We take your comments seriously and are working hard to improve our course conditions after the hot summer. We appreciate your patience. If you'd like to continue this conversation, please reach out to us at info@wintonburyhillsgolf.com. We'd like to earn your business back for the future. Thank you.

Bad Experience

Go elsewhere. A pretty good course in bad condition and very poorly managed. They sent a league out on the back-nine, so I had a 45-minute wait at the turn. All told it took over 2 hours to play my next five holes on a weekday afternoon. I drove off when there were literally five groups on the following hole (a par 4). The man inside the pro shop was nice enough, but told me this happened because I played too fast and that I really got a 9 hole rate (to be clear, they advertised/sold me 18 holes). What a joke; these excuses just made the experience worse. The course is in very bad shape anyway, which he admitted to. Don't bother with this place, go support a better-managed course somewhere else.

Commented on 10/23/2019

I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your experience at the club. We do double tee on weekdays for league play and allow 2 hours for play each nine holes. We had you paired with another twosome but you went ahead as a single and of course turned very quickly which explains you waiting on the turn. I do hope you will return to enjoy the club and its facilities in the future.

Caught it on a great day

Played on a great late summer day (no humidity, refreshing breeze). Course played fast (dry). Some burned out spots. Low traffic at noon; we finished in under three hours. Most importantly, the greens were rolling well except for a couple of places where players had left scuff marks.

Course is very nice and it is in excellent condition. The tee boxes, the fairways and the greens are pristine. The greens are challenging and the layout of the fairways is interesting but not unfair with a good tee shot. The greens are relatively small and it is necessary to be accurate. Very enjoyable round.

Pete dye??

My friend and i played Wintonbury Hills yesterday. I was very excited to find and play a Pete Dye course in Ct. However, there were no Dye design features. There was little to no water and the bunkers were unremarkable. Dont get me wrong, the Hills is a nice track just not a memorable one.For some reason they charged weekend rates on Friday, a practice most courses i know did away with. I drove over an hour to get there so I Probably will not ply it again

Commented on 08/22/2019

Hello, and thanks for your review. We're sorry to hear you did not enjoy the design features of the course, and that you were unaware of our rate policy. We do hope you'll consider playing us again, and hope to provide a better experience next time. If you have any questions or concerns, please email info@wintonburyhills.com. Thanks, and have a great day!

Great views

Excellent views of surrounding countryside. Conditions less the average. Browned out and scalped (bare) fairways. Multiple dead spots on numerous greens.

Commented on 08/22/2019

Thank you so much for your review. We value your feedback, and are sorry to hear some of the conditions were not up to par. We will continue working on improvements and hope to provide you a better experience next time. Have a great day!

Very nice course in Bloomfield. The pace of play was slow to start, but the foursome ahead let us play through.

Commented on 08/22/2019

Thank you so much for your review. We value your feedback, and hope to see you back soon. Glad to hear the players in front of you practiced proper golf etiquette! Have a great day!

Nice wide fairways

playing as s single I flew through 5 groups easily and played 18 holes in exactly 2 hours, yes I said two hours. Nice wide fairways, smooth fast greens and not many trees helped me shoot an 85. Hope to do it again.

Commented on 07/24/2019

Awesome time and great score! Thanks for your review and we hope to see you back again soon!

Virginia Advisor

A Great Conditioned Pete Dye Course That’s Not Too Tough

The name of Pete Dye attached to any golf course strikes fear into the hearts of many a golfer. But Wintonbury Hills Golf Course represents a softer and gentler side of Mr. Dye. That’s not to say it’s a pushover or that his signature design features are absent, but that they’ve been applied in a way that’s not as frustrating as at other courses of his.

The layout here is very good, I really enjoyed the contrast of the open, links-style of the front nine that transitioned to a more traditional parkland, wooded layout on the back nine. This allows the golfer several holes to collect themselves and find their game (especially off the tee) before being challenged for accuracy.

That said, there was one glaring lack of diversity as it pertains to the first two holes of each nine which share such a striking resemblance to each other, you can’t help but assume it was designed that way on purpose and wonder why. #1 and #10 are both straight-ahead, flat par-4s (both very scorable) and #2 and #11 are both uphill, slight dogleg left par-4s that really challenge par.

That quirk aside, the course fits well into the setting, reminding me a bit of TPC River Highlands (the only other Connecticut course I’ve see up close) on some of the holes on the back nine. And while the conditions here aren’t exactly PGA TOUR level, they are quite good for a public course. Tees, fairways, and rough were all in very good shape despite a lot of heat and rain this season. Greens were slower than they appeared but this likely was on purpose to guard against burnout. The iconic Pete Dye bunkers were well-filled with soft-ish sand that’s not overly difficult to hit out of.

I found the staff to be friendly and the cart girl was very attentive. Just one drinking cooler on the front nine had me begging for water by the turn on this hot day but there were more of them on the back nine. I showed up for my tee time with seconds to spare so I did not get a good look at the amenities.

$79 for a midday Friday tee time seemed reasonable for the area, neither a shockingly good deal or a bad one. I would definitely recommend this course to anyone wanting to experience Pete Dye’s design without the aggravation.

Commented on 07/24/2019

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave in-depth feedback and a 4 star review. We appreciate it. Hope you travel to CT again somtime soon to play.

Commented on 07/24/2019

We appreciate your feedback and want to thank you for your review! Come back and visit us again soon.

Commented on 07/24/2019

Thank you for your review! We hope to see you again sometime soon.

Great Start off The Prime Golf Season At Wintonberry Hills

The greens were in great shape. Tuff pins placements for a public golf course. Fairways were in great shape. Very gorgeous on the fairways. Great staff and welcomed you the moment you stepped foot on the property. The driving range is not on site. You have to drive 2 minutes down the road. Which is a knock. Paired up with a nice couple. It's worth the drive to play here!

Commented on 07/24/2019

Thank you for your feedback and 4 star review. We're glad you had a great experience with our staff and on the course. We wish the range was closer too, but it was dictated by what space we had available. Thanks for understanding. Hope to see you back again soon!

Worth the trip.

Very pleasant staff. Good challenging layout and well conditioned.

Commented on 07/24/2019

Thank you so much for your review. We value your feedback, and hope to see you back soon!

Commented on 07/24/2019

Thanks for your 4 star review, Bradley. We hope you play here again soon!

Love it. A true gem

It's fantastic, but you already know that from previous reviews. I got out early in the season, so the weather wasn't great, but the course was still fantastic. It's pretty open but still very challenging. Greens are true, fast and sloped. Bunkers are extremely well placed and forced carries to make you work. There are so many intricacies in front of the greens to give you pause. The staff is super friendly. The range is also solid. I'd grab a membership if I still lived nearby. Also, they have an APP for your phone that has a great GPS and shows scores for the month. Go out and enjoy this place!

Commented on 07/24/2019

Thank you for your 5 star review and fantastic feedback! We appreciate you taking the time to share with us your thoughts and hope you will come back and play again soon.

Greens tsill healing from last year' late season aeration.

Love this course but greens were pretty rough from late season aeration last year. Needs a few weeks for the greens to get trued up I'd imagine.

Commented on 04/09/2019

Thank you for the review. The greens should be fully recovered from fall aerification in the next week. We look forward to seeing you again.

Not worth the Money

For the money the course was in terrible shape. Greens really shaggy and bumpy.

Commented on 10/16/2019

Thank you for your honest review, Kevin. We take your feedback seriously and want to make sure our guests find value in a round with us. We'd like to learn more and continue this conversation. Please reach out to us at info@wintonburyhillsgolf.com. Thank you.

Deja Vu

Great course that does have sets of holes that are twins. See if you can match them

Commented on 07/24/2019

Thank you so much for your review. Great challenge for other golfers! Hope to see you back again soon.

Bloomfield, Connecticut