Type Public/Municipal

Restaurant

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities

Connecticut Advisor

Surpasses Expectations—With Ease

Prior to playing Wintonbury today on a dreary, foggy and slightly wet afternoon, the kind of day that might be part of the setting from an Edgar Allan Poe short story, I had read up a bit on this now well-known Connecticut track. One of the more interesting things I found came from a comment made by the course architect himself, the late Pete Dye, concerning why he chose the A.C. Petersen dairy farm from among several possible sites: "We ended up with a heck of a piece of ground. I wasn't so sure at first, but it worked out better than any of the other sites would have." (The Hartford Courant, June 8, 2004).
As I observed within a few minutes of looking around the premises and realized only a few holes into the round, it was clear that Dye had been understating. Wintonbury is a spectacular site and a nearly ideal piece of ground for a golf course.

I had also read a few reviews from websites other than GA before my round. Critics of Wintonbury have claimed that the not-so-dramatic, flatter land around this track’s clubhouse leads to several dull holes. My preference is to think of these holes in different contexts: one and ten are ‘warm-up holes’ for their respective nines; eight and seventeen still supply rigorous enough challenges; nine and eighteen are neither tame holes nor simple pars. In truth, none should be called ‘easy,’ nor did I find any boring.

Apart from the aforementioned six holes, which are situated at the southwest end of the property, the real heart of this course is comprised of the other twelve. This includes a stretch from the short woodland section at the northeast end of the course, some of the other links-like holes in the mid-section that flow up and down large hills, and a couple of holes—namely 14 and 15—that parallel the Bloomfield Reservoir. Following a good but unremarkable opening hole, the second is a short four par of 365 yards but playing much longer up the steep hill. The most dramatic among the next three, following a long and uphill par-5, is the shortest: the 333-yard fifth. From the highest point on the course, your tee shot plunges down to a fairway which doglegs slightly to the right, and, if well-placed, should leave a pitch into a green best approached—to avoid the pot bunkers—from the fairway’s left hand side. Fourteen, a photographer’s dream, runs along the reservoir to the fairway’s right; it’s a stout par-4 topping out at 455, but with a small, elusive green. Fifteen completes a one-two punch here: the tightest hole at Wintonbury weighs in at 427 yards and concludes with a green complex that is well-bunkered on its right flank.

Par-Fives: Wintonbury’s trio of five-pars is reachable for longer hitters, or perhaps for many golfers who are playing the appropriate tees. Surprisingly, none of the three poses a ‘go or no-go’ dilemma on the second shot, although reasonable caution will be necessary if you go gunning for any or all. Ironically, it was the more pedestrian 8th that I found the most interesting to play: this basically straight and flat 564-yarder did afford the option to pitch-and-run the ball into the surface from 30 yards, enabling me to score a pleasant birdie. But four (the number one index) and thirteen, playing up the same big hill, are somewhat more brutish, though open enough that you can swing away on the tee shots. As always with Dye holes, precision tee shots will afford you better scoring opportunities as you play each one to conclusion.

Par-Threes: As a group, these carried their weight respectably. Interestingly enough, none are constructed around or close to water (the seventh flirts only a bit with the marsh). Three and seventeen are both solid yet unexciting. Still, the latter will put some pressure on long approach skills at 230 yards. The par-three seventh features an elevated tee sporting a handsome view of the green far below, and, from 255 yards, your tee shot must not only be well-struck but also quite precise to find, safely, the well-guarded surface. Nine is the most original of these 3-pars, topping out at 190 and leading to a Reverse Redan green site with three pots on the right and a couple more set up on mounds to the rear.
Finishing Holes: These may disappoint purists who want something with high drama. I found 16, 17 and 18 to be good but—compared to what preceded them—undistinguished holes. The short sixteenth is the most interesting of the three, highlighted by a huge, elevated pot in the right rough (again, quite similar to something I saw at Prince’s) and some bold slopes in the neighborhood of green here. Eighteen’s wide open landing zone should mean a driver and mid/short iron finish for most.

Hardest Hole: Eleventh, par-4, 443 yards. This visually intimidating monster of a hole seemingly takes on a Gothic presence. It travels up a monumentally steep hill to a relatively small green. The hole demands nothing less than two excellent shots: one objective on the drive is to avoid the centrally located bunkers; another, on the second, is to take enough club to reach the perched putting surface. Protecting that surface, of course, is copious trouble.

Course conditioning here was very good overall, but marred a bit—as fully expected—by the aerated greens. For the extraordinary price I paid, though, to play a course of this caliber, I was hardly disappointed. The gentleman I met in the pro shop, Connor, was both personable and professional.

Most Intriguing Hole: The sixth is a tough par-4 of 430, playing uphill to a green with a huge falloff on its right side (The falloff is a virtual twin for another dramatic greenside slope—in shape, height, and contouring—that I played in Sandwich, England at Prince’s Golf Club: the sixth hole of the Shore Nine). My seven-iron here into green six seemed good in the air; the ball landed slightly short, however, and was shunted by the slope down the steep hill. What follows from this spot will be, generally, an ignominious bogey, which proved true for me (I lack the lobbing skills of Phil Mickelson, and subsequently missed my 15-foot par putt).

A few misconceptions still exist among some golfers about the nature of Wintonbury. One is that this is not a true “Pete Dye course.” The biggest preconception here seems that a genuine Dye layout must possess some combination of features that may include railroad ties, sleepered and/or pot bunkers, extensive mounding around all greens, water hazards on every hole, or an abundance of slender fairways that have light rough, such that your slightly errant shots will be directed straight into the water hazards. And one of those hazards must contain the signature Dye island green. The fact is that Mr. Dye had begun deviating from significantly from this overall pattern by the early 1990’s, when he was quoted as saying that, in the future, “there will be more plain golf courses without steep bunkers and exaggerated undulations.” And while Wintonbury is anything but a plain course, its designers have eschewed several of those old Dye features that in actuality do not typify the body of his work, especially post-1990. A second preconception is that WH is not hard enough to be called a characteristic Dye creation. Again I think that’s untrue. Dye was long ago designing courses that were tough but far from preposterously so, such as his Oak Marsh track from 1972 at Amelia Island (I played it in the early 90’s) whose course rating is 72.4 against par of 72. Wintonbury’s rating is a slightly higher 70.8 against par of 70. That’s comparable. And this course, like Oak Marsh, is certainly tough enough to qualify as a “Dye,” yet both are far from excruciating.
A Final Opinion: This is a top-notch layout, period. It easily stands up to the best modern (post-war designed) Connecticut public courses: Lyman-Jones, Oxford Greens, Fairview Farm, Blackledge Anderson’s Glen, et al. Unlike anything else I’ve experienced in the Nutmeg State, the fantastic site seems unmatched. And the architectural talents of Dye and associate Tim Liddy, fully on display here, are beyond reproach. Having now played here (I’m not sure why it took me so long to give it a spin), I’m thankful that Bradley Klein was able to persuade Pete Dye to apply his expertise and fashion a great one in Bloomfield.

Always great

Greens were sandy and aerated, otherwise course was in terrific condition for late-October. Beautiful layout, greens always roll true even with the sand on it evident. Not a course where you’d lose a lot of balls. Driving cart rate is a little pricey for non-Bloomfield residents. Potentially my favorite course in CT, always enjoy a day at Wintonbury.

Misinformation

The course is in fine shape. However we were not informed they were airrating the greens so we could only play the back twice. asked how much to play without the hot deal $45. we paid $36 green fees and $25 for a cart. Not such a hot deal after all.

Great experience

Considering how dry it is the course was in good shape and fair. Excellent course layout. Staff at the course was Wonderful and contributed to a very good experience for our foursome. We will be back again.

I hate writing this

Let me start by saying I LOVE Wintonbury Hills. Me and my friends drive 2 hours to play this course and will in the future. That being said, the fairways were horrendous today. Absolutely terrible. Greens were terrific, tee boxes terrific, staff terrific. When I asked, I was told they hadn't had rain in 8 weeks. Sprinklers? I have played 30 rounds this summer and no courses were like what I saw today.
I thought I saw sprinkler heads but maybe there was drought restrictions. Whatever, I am sorry for the course. I am sure you will return to your glory and we will see you next year. I also must add what a previous review said about the GPS on the carts. We had to push a cart numerous times. No warning, just shutdown.

Good greens but slow play and burnt fairways

This is a fun golf course but man the conditions aren’t that great. For 50 bucks I’m hoping the fairways Are actually good. Greens are deceiving and really have either a lot of break or no break at all

Cart fee whack

Love the track. Love the conditions. Greens were fantastic. Only problems for me, it's completely overpriced and staff are unfriendly. They whack you $25 each for a cart when you get there and this is not a course that you will walk.

Carts disabled if you’re 3ft off cart path

It took 4 of us to push the cart backwards up the hill because there was no one to come help us. Also paid and got to course and they said what we paid did not include the carts. I’m done playing there!!!

One of the most amazing courses in CT

Wintonbury Hills is a fantastic course. This Pete Dye design holds up beautifully. A challenging course with stunning views. We love to play here. Walking is a great workout too.

Great test of golf

Fun layout, different from a lot of the typical New England courses in that it is more links style then anything else. Strong gusts all afternoon forced a lot of conservative approach shots. Course is not overly penalizing off the tee but it does test all facets of your game. Definitely would recommend playing it if you get an opportunity!

Worst pace of play

Pace of play was horrific. No ranger to move golfers.
Looked as if too many tee times were sold to pack the course.

Highly recommended. Par 70 6300 yards from the green tees. Nice layout w/ a good variety of holes, Course is in good condition after a dry, hot summer. Greens have a good bit of undulation making for tricky reads & few straight putts. Fairways are generous, lined by either fescue or trees. Nits - Bunkers were in pretty tough condition due to no rakes & players not smoothing foot prints, a couple of pin locations had been overused creating many pitch marks near the pins.

Interesting layout in good condition

Interesting layout mixture between links course and mountain course with lots of tilt to fairways. Pace of play was good . Playing mostly private courses I though the course was in good condition. Enjoyed playing the course.

Interesting Pete Dye course

The course is a combination of a links course and a mountain course. Conditions were good and greens relatively fast. ( I play mostly private clubs so my standards may be biased) pace of play was good. The controlled golf carts that at limited You to the fairways were somewhat annoying. Overall it was an enjoyable golf experience.

Disappointed

I had been at the coarse years ago & enjoyed it. This time was a different story.
It was a HOT day so we rented a cart. They have new carts with all the bells & whistles but on the first hole, the cart allowed us on the fairway, but then it said you were in a restricted area...so it shut down. Putting it into reverse was slower than a turtle in quicksand. Very frustrating.
It only allowed cart path. Walking from cart path to the ball in the heat, guessing your distance from the cart path - took all the fun out of the game.
There was a single player we let through on the front 9. On the back 9 - we caught up. He said there was a foursome not offering to let him through. From there we had to wait at every hole.

Disappointed

I had played this course a few years ago & enjoyed it. But today was a different story.
Everyone who wants a cart pays $15. At first I was impressed with the new carts they had. That was until I got on the golf course. It was a hot day & on the first hole, a par 4, the monitor said cart path only.
The week before at a different course it rained so that made sense, but on a sunny day having to walk across the fairway with your clubs made it frustrating. .
A couple times I tested it & either it wouldn’t tell you until you tried to leave or it shutdown going there. At which point you had to put it in reverse, or the cart shut down Entirely (twice on me) & it didn’t function either way.
For the two of us it made our round of golf un enjoyable.

Simsbury, Connecticut