Type Public/Municipal

Architect Pete Dye (2005) Tim Liddy (2005) MacCurrach Golf

Golf Simulator Yes

Credit Cards Accepted VISA, MasterCard, American Express

Great memories

Having played Wintonbury Hills dozens of times while growing up about 25 minutes away in Avon, Connecticut, it was a treat to return for the first time in a few years the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Sure, it was chilly and the greens were a bit bumpy from late-fall aerification, but the course was as fun to play as it always has been.

Pete Dye and Tim Liddy did a great job serving up a course that high handicappers can navigate and lower handicappers will still enjoy - an ideal muni situation. The long par-4 14th along the reservoir remains one of the coolest holes in New England, and the bouncy turf makes every full shot interesting.

Dining

I would not waste your time with the dining operation, after the round. Too restrictive. Masks while sitting there and nobody around you? Sorry, I’ll go somewhere else for post round drink. But the course was great.

Gem

Great course. Typical Pete Dye design. My new to go course when looking in the HFD area...can’t beat it.

Great Golf Day

Have played course twice in 2 weeks. The weather was great. Can not complain. They lowered the cups in with the foam noodles so you could make putts.

Only issue I thought was just it was wet in certain spots.

COVID-19 Relief

Had to drive about 1 hour 45 minutes to get there, but it was well worth the 210 minutes. The Course staff were taking the necessary precautions; while being cordial at the same time. I played with nice guys from NY, and NH. Challenging course, at least for me. Beautiful scenes also. I think I caught a glimpse of a lighthouse on the back 9.

Time to reconsider raised cups

There are great options out there to “keep us safe” that are far superior to raised cups

Wasted my time

Thought I had scored a nice tee time around noon to play this course. Seems like a consensus top 5 public course in CT. Due to Covid and the course, I was willing to drive 3 hours to get there. Just needed to scratch that golf itch. Was on the road for an hour when I get an email stating my tee time was cancelled. Completely screwed me over. No idea why they didn’t email me when they opened. Was well into my trip and suddenly I was scrambling for a tee time anywhere in Connecticut.

Excellent course

Perfect Covid adherence. Course in great shape other than greens being top dressed, and even with that they still rolled well and weren’t slow. Good layout except 4 holes are very similar, and the par 3 were all same length except for 17. I certainly recommend and will be back

Wintonbury

Always one of the better public courses in the area. Cups inverted and tee times spaced out for coronavirus. Also walking only. Was able to play in 3:15 early in morning.

Great Track

Love the course. Can't wait to go back with my girlfriend. Not a long course but fun and challenging.

used to be a great course

Recently played this course after not playing it for several years. It was always a destination course for me, great layout, fast and true greens and all around a fabulous course. Played it today and was totally shocked at how bad it has become, horrible fairways (dry patches everywhere, half brown and thin grass. The greens were equally bad, rough and patchy as well, and they charged 72 dollars to play! Whatever is going on there I will certainly not return for a re-play.

Commented on 10/16/2019

Thank you for your honest review. We take your comments seriously and are working hard to improve our course conditions after the hot summer. We appreciate your patience. If you'd like to continue this conversation, please reach out to us at info@wintonburyhillsgolf.com. We'd like to earn your business back for the future. Thank you.

Bad Experience

Go elsewhere. A pretty good course in bad condition and very poorly managed. They sent a league out on the back-nine, so I had a 45-minute wait at the turn. All told it took over 2 hours to play my next five holes on a weekday afternoon. I drove off when there were literally five groups on the following hole (a par 4). The man inside the pro shop was nice enough, but told me this happened because I played too fast and that I really got a 9 hole rate (to be clear, they advertised/sold me 18 holes). What a joke; these excuses just made the experience worse. The course is in very bad shape anyway, which he admitted to. Don't bother with this place, go support a better-managed course somewhere else.

Commented on 10/23/2019

I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your experience at the club. We do double tee on weekdays for league play and allow 2 hours for play each nine holes. We had you paired with another twosome but you went ahead as a single and of course turned very quickly which explains you waiting on the turn. I do hope you will return to enjoy the club and its facilities in the future.

Caught it on a great day

Played on a great late summer day (no humidity, refreshing breeze). Course played fast (dry). Some burned out spots. Low traffic at noon; we finished in under three hours. Most importantly, the greens were rolling well except for a couple of places where players had left scuff marks.

Course is very nice and it is in excellent condition. The tee boxes, the fairways and the greens are pristine. The greens are challenging and the layout of the fairways is interesting but not unfair with a good tee shot. The greens are relatively small and it is necessary to be accurate. Very enjoyable round.

Pete dye??

My friend and i played Wintonbury Hills yesterday. I was very excited to find and play a Pete Dye course in Ct. However, there were no Dye design features. There was little to no water and the bunkers were unremarkable. Dont get me wrong, the Hills is a nice track just not a memorable one.For some reason they charged weekend rates on Friday, a practice most courses i know did away with. I drove over an hour to get there so I Probably will not ply it again

Commented on 08/22/2019

Hello, and thanks for your review. We're sorry to hear you did not enjoy the design features of the course, and that you were unaware of our rate policy. We do hope you'll consider playing us again, and hope to provide a better experience next time. If you have any questions or concerns, please email info@wintonburyhills.com. Thanks, and have a great day!

Great views

Excellent views of surrounding countryside. Conditions less the average. Browned out and scalped (bare) fairways. Multiple dead spots on numerous greens.

Commented on 08/22/2019

Thank you so much for your review. We value your feedback, and are sorry to hear some of the conditions were not up to par. We will continue working on improvements and hope to provide you a better experience next time. Have a great day!

Very nice course in Bloomfield. The pace of play was slow to start, but the foursome ahead let us play through.

Commented on 08/22/2019

Thank you so much for your review. We value your feedback, and hope to see you back soon. Glad to hear the players in front of you practiced proper golf etiquette! Have a great day!

Nice wide fairways

playing as s single I flew through 5 groups easily and played 18 holes in exactly 2 hours, yes I said two hours. Nice wide fairways, smooth fast greens and not many trees helped me shoot an 85. Hope to do it again.

Commented on 07/24/2019

Awesome time and great score! Thanks for your review and we hope to see you back again soon!

Bloomfield, Connecticut