Jim McLean Golf Center

Jim McLean Golf Center Par 3 - 9 Holes
White 27 1462 yards

Year Built 1999
Greens Bermuda grass

Golf School Academy Yes - "Jim McLean Golf Academy"
Golf Simulator Yes

9-Hole Rounds 7

Very Disappointed

Jim McLean Golf Center is supposed to be a PGA Tour Player Facility, with instruction and club fitting. There is a Junior player component also on the premises. That's the brochure stuff anyway.

The staff at the desk didn't know information they should have known that I needed - Where the pull carts are, range balls, etc. I had to make three trips and scrounge my own information to get my son a pull cart, and to get range balls.

The range - if you aren't a professional expect to hit from an area with no grass, and no one will be helping you. Figure out everything you need at the desk prior to leaving for the range. Its kind of a hike from the range to the desk.

The golf - starts out wonderful, the first three holes are in tip top shape and what you would expect from a PGA Tour Player facility. That is where the good ends.

There are four holes where the greens are severely burnt - don't even try to play 8 or 9 - they didn't have the tee markers out and there were no flags and no holes cut as the greens were in a sad state. We walked the cart path from 7 to the club house - we couldn't even play 8 or 9 (only a 9 hole course).

Bunkers really need work - most are basically mud/dirt with sand sprinkled in.

The morning crew was out, but they left on many sprinklers in front of us - I attempted to wave them down and ask them to turn them off to no avail. We just avoided those teeing areas/greens and dropped outside of sprinkler range (we teed off at 8:15 AM, sprinklers should have been off).

As far as the layout - its a good little 3-par golf course. It would have been nice if the course was better operated and maintained.

Overall I was shocked as I see this course from the highway all the time. Its also sad as it could be a gem 3 par really. I would like to play there again, but I doubt I will this year.

Its not a complete waste of time, but I expected so much more.

No Water- Dead Greens

I was disappointed in the conditions of the greens. At least three were dead and one had a temporary green in the fairway. The other greens were only in fair condition. There was no water on the course and the lady at the desk said they did not have drinking fountain in the building.

Grain of salt

You have to understand what you’re getting here. I’ve got three kids under 3 but my wife and I both play. This course allowed us to go out with two strollers, 3 kids and play 9 which is few and far between for any golf courses. It’s an easy walk and you can see while playing here it has some interesting template hole designs by Fazio who contributed to this project. Green conditions were certainly lacking but the layout definitely places a premium on ball striking which is what a par 3 course should do.

My wife, who is a picky golfer, said she’d come play this course every weekend for what it’s worth. $20 to hit 9 true iron shots is a steal. Unlike other par 3s which are a pitch and putt, this course truly requires great shots to score well. I left anything longer than a 6 iron at home when I came out which is a mistake. These are real par 3s that could appear on a “normal” par 72.

Windy and long from back tees

The course has too much water for my taste and from the back tees some holes were over 200 yards. Greens were a little lumpy, but should get better as the season progresses. The wind was 20+ mph so it was quite challenging.

Great for the Kid

I have a 6 yr old golfer and it's a perfect course for him.

A fast round of golf.

It’s always a pleasure to play here. The golf course is very close to my house. And it usually in good shape.

Nice little par 3 course

This was our first time to play, and we are HORRIBLE golfers. The course was well maintained (mostly) and fun. The score card show distances for 3 different Tee boxes, and on most holes only 2 could be found. The course is not very hilly, but sand traps and water still made it a bit challenging.

Commented On 04/11/2017

Thank you for writing us a review. It's great to hear you enjoyed our course and we hope to see you again soon.

Nice practice facility

From a pure golf perspective, its great. Nice course, range and nice areas to practice putting and chipping. The par 3 course provides some challenging holes. It is in great shape.

From an amenities standpoint, it is lacking. Food? Cliff Bars and that's it. Drinks? Bottles water and soda.

I will play again and be prepared next time. Would have had more fun had I known to grab a burger or something ahead of time.

Also, no carts.

Commented On 03/22/2017

Thanks for leaving us a review. It's great to hear you enjoyed playing at our course. We have noted your comments about amenities and will keep them in mind for future changes within the course. Thanks again and we hope to see you soon.

Greens in poor shape

Dad and I visited this course on Saturday. Had to wait 30 minutes for a cart. Greens were in horrible condition. I've played this course many times before, but this was the last time. Teenagers inside didn't seem to care about us having to wait for a cart. Seems like they are just holding on to the land, waiting for a big offer.

Commented On 01/23/2017

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to write us a review. We apologize for the experience you had at our course. We strive to meet everyone's needs and its appears this did not happen during your visit. We hope you will give us another visit so we can make this trip up to you.

Nice or 3 course!

Excellent and challenging par 3 with great staff in support. One of the nicest par 3 courses I have ever played.

Commented On 11/14/2016

Hi,

Thanks for leaving us such a nice review. It's great to see you had a good time and we hope to see you soon.

Not worth the price

Played on 9/17/16. Course was in very bad shape. Many practice balls were all over fairway. The greens were the worst I had seen ever. On many greens there were more dirt than grass. I was very disappointed.

ArrowheadGCWNY
Commented On 09/19/2016

Hi, thanks for taking the time to write us a review. We are disappointed to hear you did not enjoy your time at our course. We try our best the keep the course as well kept as possible and it seems you did not experience that during your visit. Please know that we are taking your review into consideration and will continue to improve the course. We hope that you will give us a second chance and come visit us soon.

Greatness

Every aspect was awesome from checking in to finishing hole. The greens were phenomenal! Staff is extremely friendly and very helpful Thanks for the great experience. I will be coming back.

Commented On 08/09/2016

Hi Ron,

Thanks for taking the time to write this review! We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your time at our course. We believe in great customer service and we are glad our staff did not disappoint. Thanks again and we hope to see you soon!

Quick and Easy

Needed a tune up after being out of golf for a few months. I had some new irons to hit as well. Course was in good shape. Greens were really nice and fast. Some holes did not have their 'card' yardages playable. All par 3's, avg about 140-150 yards. A few wet spots from the winter flooding. Challenging one-shot course. Practice balls (25) were torn up, but at least they were available. I would play again any time I had only 1.5 - 2 hours to squeeze some play in.

Good Practice

This Par 3 course was an excellent place to practice and really work out the bugs on your irons.

Great time for new and experienced players

Played the course with my wife and daughters and had a blast. They have been playing for less than a year and felt the challenge yet where not discouraged by the difficulty. The course is well maintained in all areas but the sand traps needed a little work. For the money you really can't find a better value for a par 3 course. The staff is super friendly and are more than willing to help.

Great Par 3

This is a sweet little course! Very nice layout and challenging holes but not overly difficult. Some shots over water. Great conditions. I'll be going again!

McLean Par 3

Course was in reasonable condition, except the traps were really bad. Fortunately I didn't land in any. Staff seems to be all teenagers and not very attentive.

Nice practice facility

I went here with my wife to get some walking in as well as some practice. I was able to accomplish both. Most of the traps are in terrible shape, but for a par three it's OK.

Not very good

Got there and the kids working in club house were rude. Had to pay for a cart and then was told we couldn't chip or putt prior to our round it was only for members was told we could go to the golf course down the street for that even tho we weren't playing that course! The fairways were in decent shape but the greens were horrible sand traps had no sand in them more hard packed dirt. Overall I would say it was a waste of $30, not a place I would return too.

Arlington, Texas