View of a green over a pond at Houston National Golf Club

Houston National Golf Club

Year Built 2001
Fairways Baby Bermuda & 419 Bermuda Grass
Greens TifEagle Bermuda Grass
Architect von Hagge, Smelek and Baril (2001) Gus Grantham (1999)

Caddies Yes

Credit Cards Accepted Yes
Single Allowed No
Dress code Proper golf attire.

Bar, Grill, Restaurant

Great value in Cypress

The greens are in excellent condition. I think the layout is better on the Houston National course than on the private Sterling Country Club course. Obviously, the management team spends more money on the private course, but that's what the members are paying for. Overall, this is a great course, with a somewhat challenging layout that makes you think before selecting your shot selections.

Commented on 07/10/2020

Your feedback is important to us! Thank you for sharing your 5-star experience. We look forward to seeing you again at the course soon! Thanks for choosing Houston National Golf Club!

Commented on 07/06/2020

Thanks for leaving us a review! We're glad you enjoyed your time at Houston National Golf Club and hope you'll come see us again soon.

Overall satisfied

Greens were in great shape. Only complaint is how thin the fairways were. Great for roll off the tee, but had to pick a lot of approach shots clean opposed to taking a nice divot. Other than that no complaints. Course was in better shape than some of the others around town.

Commented on 06/17/2020

Thank you for taking the time to review us! Your feedback is valuable, and we look forward to delivering you excellent service again soon. Houston National Golf Club thanks you!

Nice course not manicured superbly. Pace of play an issue. 5 some in front with a 4 some in front of us playing out of 2 bags . Too hot not to have more water, ice available. Bathrooms closed off as well.

Commented on 06/09/2020

Thank you for taking the time to review us! Your feedback is valuable, and we hope to have you back again soon. Houston National Golf Club thanks you!

None Responsiveness

The course was DRY and they had us playing cart path only even after I called and complained. I been playing Golf sence 1972 around the world and that has never happened to me. The Course was DRY.

Great!!!

Very difficult course in great shape. Greens are viscous!!! Definitely will play this course again.

Commented on 06/03/2020

Thank you for taking the time to review us! Your feedback is valuable, and we look forward to having you back again soon. Houston National Golf Club thanks you!

Great Layout

Played for the first time today, not a Houston area resident (anymore). The course was a great layout with plenty of landing area for hose who typically don't hit it very straight. Lots of undulation around the fairways. Definitely a premium for hitting it in the fairway with straight forward approaches into the greens. If you miss the fairway, you will likely have your ball bound sideways off one of the many mounds that will take your ball even further off line. I was fortunate to be hitting it pretty straight for once. The greens were very consistent and rolled true. Didn't notice and bouncing or bumps on the greens. Many of the sand traps had standing water but as most courses are not proving any rakes anyway, bunkers should be treated as ground under repair during COVID-19. I didn't have the time to try the grill, perhaps next time. And I hope there is another opportunity to play there again. Would definitely recommend.

Commented on 06/04/2020

Thank you for your great review! We will pass along your positive experience and kind feedback to our team at Houston National Golf Club. We hope to see you again soon!

Commented on 06/03/2020

Fun course

This course has tons of rolling fairways. Challenging in that you fairly play with the ball at foot level. Nice and open for those that spray it around. Greens have some contours so teasing puts is key. Good course for the money, can be a bit dry but that just helps with roll out on drives.

Commented on 05/26/2020

Thank you for visiting us at Houston National Golf Club. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Course is in good condition

The course is in good condition for the most part. Some bare places on the fairways but the greens and tees are in very good condition. It's hard and fast in the fairways, lots of roll. We like the layout a lot with the open fairways. There is always a good breeze on this side of town.The bar area isn't open yet so you can't get any of that good, free popcorn.

Commented on 05/22/2020

Hi, Stephen! We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we appreciate you leaving us with your feedback!. Thank you for playing Houston National Golf Club. We hope to have you back again soon!

Commented on 05/14/2020

Thank you so much for the great review. We are glad you had an incredible time, and we hope to see you again soon! Thanks for choosing Houston National Golf Club!

Garbage course

Cheated me out of the meal, which is the only reason I come here. Always force me to share a cart with someone. Course is not well maintained. I was coming here a minimum once a week, but will never drop a dime here again.

Enjoyable round of golf

Enjoy playing Houston National, the only suggestion is to punch the fairways and water the heck out of it. Lots of tight lies and club bounces. Greens is great condition, layout great, pace of play was quick...will be back...

Lost Phone

I dropped my phone on the front nine. I proceed to finish my round. Upon completing the round I drove around the course again looking for it to no avail. I informed the club attendant of my situation. After returning home to pin my phone it appeared that it was located. I returned to the course club house to learn that my phone intend have been found. I would like to recognize the staff for their honesty and integrity as it relates to this situation.

My Favorite Course

The best value around. All you can play, and a meal! I played 45 holes last week, never felt pressured, and the burger was pretty good, too. I come back every week.

Commented on 05/12/2020

Wow, we are so happy to hear how much you enjoy the course! Thank you for sharing your kind words and feedback with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon! Houston National Golf Club thanks you!

They greens were sanded and I had lot of expectations for the course. The fairways are non existent and they had lot of patches even on the little grass that is there. I wouldn't play here for that price again.

Commented on 05/08/2020

Thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is important to us. We will make note. We hope you give us another try in the future.

Lots of dirt spots, grass almost nonexistent on fairways

You can see what a nice place it could be. Holes are challenging, but the fairways are awful right now. I will wait awhile before trying it again.

Commented on 05/05/2020

Thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is important to us. We will make note and we hope to see you back!

They’re almost there.

I’ve been playing this course for going on 20 years now. I love the layout, it’s challenging without being impossible. The problem I have is that the condition of the condition of the course, specifically the fairways, is not what it could be if they put the effort in. The private side is beautiful but the public side is a shame. The greens are pretty good and staff friendliness has improved drastically over the past 2 years or so. The members can be rude but you only have to deal with them at the clubhouse since they’re on the private side. All in all, it’s my home course and I do like it a lot and the all you can play deal with lunch and a beer is a great Saturday. I just wish they would restore the course to how great it was 10 years ago.

Commented on 05/04/2020

We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we appreciate you leaving us with your feedback. Thank you for playing Houston National Golf Club. We hope to see you again in the future!

Houston, Texas