Tiburón Golf Club - Black Course

• (239) 593-2201, (239) 593-2200
  • www.tiburongcnaples.com
Write Review

Year built: 2001
Architect(s): Greg Norman (2001)
Type: Resort
Style: Links
Greens: Bermuda grass

Caddies: No
GPS: Yes

Indoor practice facilities: Yes
Simulator: Yes

Singles allowed: No
Dress code: Men: Shirts with collars & sleeves, slacks or Bermuda length shorts; Women: Dresses, skirts, slacks or Bermuda length shorts
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Forward 72 4878 yards 64.7 112
Forward (W) 72 4878 yards 68.7 122

"Awesome course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/17/2018

The course played tough, was in excellent shape greens speed where mediam to slow and the facility was first class.

Commented on 06/19/2018

Thank you for spending the day with us. The Black Course was remastered last year, so the greens are a little bit slower than the greens on The Gold Course. By this time next year both courses will be the same speed. Thank you again for coming down to Naples and we look forward to showing you The Gold Course soon!

"Tiburon Black"

wconwell's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/31/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

Lived up to expectations - and beyond. Staff was incredibly nice, friendly, and fun, from the greeting upon arrival through the pro shop to the after round drinks at Sydney's Pub.

The course itself was in immaculate condition, with the greens and fairways in as good a condition as any I've played in South Florida in the last few months. Tough layout not for the faint of heart, but certainly rewards good shots.

Don't miss the opportunity to play if you have the chance.

Commented on 06/05/2018

Thank you for spending the day with us. We are glad you enjoyed your visit. We also appreciate the comments and the kind review. We strive to provide world class playing conditions year round, and are glad that is what you experienced while in Naples. Thank you again for your support and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

"Tiburon-Black course"

Steven9209436's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/16/2017

On my birthday I decided to treat myself and play Tiburon Black course. It was cool and windy. The other 2 people that I was paired up with were a no show. I started out on my own and at the 4th hole caught up with a couple as caught up with a 4some with forecaddy. It was a waiting game. The couple gave up after the 14th hole. We were always behind the pace time according to the gps on the carts. I would have hated what it would have been like without a caddy. The course was in great shape. The greens firm and fast. I found it easy to get around and not hit into something hidden. I would seriously consider playing, but not in an absolute must. All of the practice facilities and the the stall were great.

Commented on 03/18/2017

First off, happy birthday! Also, thank you for spending the day with us. We are sorry to hear you had pace of play issues. Did you have a chance to speak with anyone after your round? If you would like to discuss it with us further, please email rpotts@troon.com. In regards to course conditions, we appreciate you saying that. Did you know we are going to remaster the Black Course later this year? It is going to get even better! Thanks again, sir, and we hope to hear from you and see you soon!

"Difficult but fair Greg Norman test"

MikeBaileyGA's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/14/2017

First off, playing this golf course from the back tees would be insane, even if you hit the ball a mile. Why? Because you're going to have to be able to thread your drivers and probably work the ball both ways,. You're better off playing this course with clubs other than the driver off the tee if you can. There are quite a few holes where a hybrid or a long iron off the tee is the more prudent play. Of the two courses at Tiburon, this one is definitely tighter. With that said, I do think it's a little better than the Gold because it's more interesting. And when it gets a renovation this year -- adding the really cool synthetic sodwall bunkers -- it'll definitely be better. The reason is that the Black course is more interesting than the Gold, but only marginally. They compliment each other well.

Commented on 03/20/2017

Mike, thank you so much for sharing your comments with us. The Black Course is much tighter than the Gold, and we are glad you liked the Durabunker treatment on the Gold. We are remastering the Black Course later this year, but will not be using Durabunker. We will be making the bunker faces lower and moving bunkers closer to the green to provide a greater difference between the two courses. Again, thank you for your comments and we hope to see you in Naples again soon!

"VG condition - punishing course"

CALAJ1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/14/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

When I book Tiburon Black on golf now I was concerned about the conditions based on previous reviews. I called the course and they assured me the issues that were discussed are now resolved. They were correct, the course was in great condition and we had a great round of golf. The course itself is very difficult for a beginner, tough on an intermediate and rewarding for a very good golfer.

Commented on 03/15/2017

Thank you for reading these reviews and for giving us a chance. Troon came in on September 1, and the Gold Course was recently remastered. The Black Course is being remastered this year, so come November, we will have 36 holes of brand new championship golf. Thanks again for coming out and for leaving such a positive review of your experience.

"Ritz Carlton golf"

simerm's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/08/2017

Beautiful course excellent design and condition. Expensive but worth it during high season. Holes challenging and give different options to play. Greens perfect and fast. Ritz service always first class. The starter John was quite professional , courteous, and pleasant. Definitely will be back to play.

Commented on 03/15/2017

Thank you for spending the day with us and for leaving such a positive review. Yes, the greens are fast, but fair. Also, John is great. We are glad you got the chance to meet him. Thanks again for coming out and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

"Expectations not met"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/11/2016

After seeing this course on TV several times my expectations were high, but in person it looked awful, the greens were patchy and discolored, found out the next day it was a fungus. I arranged for our foursome and was embarrassed to say the least. Saving grace was we did not pay full price as my dad hooked us with a reciprocal off season rate. Consensus was if we paid $250 we would have asked for our money back. Golf shop and restaurant were closed when we finished at 6:30. Fairways are crowned you have to be in center or you roll into " hard pan of crushed shells" this scratched clubs

Commented on 12/06/2016

First off, thank you for spending the day with us. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your round at Tiburón Golf Club. This is not the experience we want for our members and guests, and would like to learn more about your day. Did you know we recently remastered the Gold Course? Please email rpotts@troon.com so we can learn more about your day and see what we can do to make things right. Thank you again for spending the day with us, and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

"Damaged greens beyond repairs"

waves3464's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/06/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Do not waste your money playing this course. All their greens are damaged beyond repairs. They are slow, bumpy and on some holes downright disgusting with bad patch worked or sanded over to over the damaged area.

We played in the tournament and if we know ahead of time, we would switch to play the other course at Tiburon instead. We were never told of the greens conditions until we got there.

Albeit friendliness of the staff and apologies of the horrific conditions, the course should charge us a lot less than what we ended up paying for.

Also, for the top notch resort associated with Greg Norman (Tiburon means shark in Spanish) and Ritz Carlton, they should do everything they can to satisfied their customers. We are beyond disappointment with the Black course conditions.

Commented on 12/08/2016

First off, thank you for spending the day with us and for taking the time to leave such an honest review. We are truly sorry that we did not offer the playing conditions that you expected, and want you to know that we are now better than ever. Troon is now managing the property, we have a new superintendent, and the Gold Course was recently remastered. The Black Course is being remastered next year.

Please email me at rpotts@troon.com so we can discuss your experience further. Thanks again, and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

"Abysmal value"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/28/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Among the most expensive courses in SW Florida at $250 per round. I've seen much better greens on $25 muni courses. Several greens were unplayable. Staff claimed greens were rolling 8 on stimp but true speed likely closer to 6-7 if you had a rare line unobstructed by damage. Charging top dollar for greens this poor is almost criminal. I wouldn't return at any price despite friendly staff and Ritz ambiance. .

Commented on 12/09/2016

First off, thank you for spending the day with us. We are sorry to hear you had a bad experience here. However, since your round, the Gold Course has been remastered and the Black Course is in better shape than ever. We are going to remaster the Black Course next year. Again, we are sorry to hear about your experience, and would like to discuss this with you further. Please email rpotts@troon.com to we can make this right. Thanks again for your support and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

"hwsl"

bardeb's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/08/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

The course was ok, but much less than I expected.

I played last year and it seemed much better then.

I guess for 200.00 I was expecting pristine conditions. The fairways had alot of thin spots and sanded spots on greens. I bragged to my friends all week who were coming to play. They were not impressed and I was eating crow. They want to play Lely Mustang and TPC Treviso next year. Traviso was Awesome for a few 50.00 more. I think 99.00 in season and 59.00 off season would make this course make this course stand out among the medium priced courses, but not in the same leage as Treviso

HWSL

Commented on 12/14/2016

First off, thank you for spending the day with us and for sharing your honest feedback on your experience. However, it sounds like we dropped the ball on a few things. Did you know we recently remastered the Gold Course and plan to remaster the Black Course next year? The LPGA and PGA TOUR players loved it this year during the CME Group Tour Championship and the Franklin Templeton Shootout. Thanks again for your review, and we hope to see you again soon. We want to turn that review from 2 to 5 stars!

"Greens you can putt would be nice."

Muzak1's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/26/2016

For the cost of playing this well know golf course some truth should be told upfront. The greens were recently lost and are not yet ready for play. Pins were placed in some of the green locations that were in the poorest condition.

The clubhouse restaurant was closed after our afternoon tee time. This is a Ritz Carlton property ?

Commented on 12/14/2016

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It sounds like we dropped the ball here, and we want to learn more about your experience. Please email rpotts@troon.com so we can learn more about your experience. Also, did you know we recently remastered the Gold Course? We are doing the same to the Black Course next year, so your next visit will be better than ever. Thanks again, and we look forward to hearing from you soon!

"Not even close to worth it even if round was free"

wlehner's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/08/2016

For 15 years 8 of us head to Naples 2nd weekend of January for 8 rounds in 5 days. in 2014 we enjoyed 36 holes albeit not the friendliest starter. 2015 started the disaster with the worst course of 30 plus courses we play over the years, typically $100-$135 green fees elsewhere, we paid $165 this year with the option to only play one of the 18's. Well it was an embarrassment. Grassless greens, grass, mud, hard pack fairways about 4 styles of fairway, grass if lucky. dried, burnt slow, fast bumpy greens, I would have better putting in my MN front yard just after the snow melted. We complained and were offered a replay, however heading to the airport on a tight golf schedule we took rain checks only to come back Jan 2016 to find the course closed, thankfully under repair. Now that the rain checks were printed on receipt paper with disappearing ink, we hope they will still be valid for an attempt of course redemption Jan 2017.

Commented on 12/09/2016

First off, thank you for spending the day with us and for providing us such an honest review of your experience. It sounds like we did not meet your expectations, and we are truly sorry about that. Since your visit, the Gold Course has been remastered. You can see it this week on TV during the 2016 Franklin Templeton Shootout. Some of the players are saying it is the best course they've played all season! Next year we will be remastering the Black Course. We would like to learn more about your experience here at Tiburón. Please email rpotts@troon.com so we can further discuss your concerns. Thanks again for your continued support, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

"Bad greens"

Dannnyoch's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/01/2015

Green had a disease on them and were slow and bumpy much of the greens had large patches of sand with no grass and when we called to make tee time. Nobody mentioned the poor conditions. They should inform you if there is a disease and let you choose if you want to play. Staff on site was great club house beautiful just felt like we wasted a day on a lot of money we quit after nine holes

Quality of food & beverage: Average

Commented on 12/21/2016

It sounds like we dropped the ball and are sorry about your experience here at Tiburón Golf Club. Since you played Tiburón, we have fully remastered the Gold Course and have hosted both the LPGA and PGA TOUR. Last week we announced we will be doing the same to the Black Course in 2017. Again, we are sorry for your experience here at Tiburón. In an effort to learn more about your day, please email rpotts@troon.com. We look forward to hearing from you and welcoming you back to Tiburón soon. Thank you again for your support.

"Great Track"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/20/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Not your everyday golf course. High end with conditions to match. Extremely difficult, but a treat non the less. Tee boxes to fit higher (teens) handicaps. Not going to rate service. While for me it was excellent, all I ask is that staff is polite. I'm here for the golf. As well, from MA, so there is nothing like it in NE to match. Great challenge. If in Naples, it is a must play.

Commented on 12/21/2016

Thank you for spending the day with us and for providing such a positive review. It sounds like you really enjoyed your round here at Tiburón Golf Club. Since you played the course, we have fully remastered the Gold Course and will be doing the same to the Black Course in 2017. We invite you to come back and try it again. We think you are going to love the changes! Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

"Love this course! Want to play again"

Allison6819183's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/14/2013
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This course at the Ritz Carlton is so well-kept and not overly priced. It can be tight at times but I like the challenge

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

Commented on 12/21/2016

Thank you for such a glowing review! We are glad you enjoyed your experience here at Tiburón Golf Club. Since you played the course, we have fully remastered the Gold Course and will be doing the same to the Black Course next year. we invite you to come back and try it again. We think you are going to love the changes. Thanks again for your support and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

"Outstanding course. Very well kept. Staff is quite professional."

hsheik's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 2/13/2013

Wonderful to play<br/> Conditions are terrific<br/> Staff very accommodating

Commented on 12/21/2016

Thank you for coming out and for leaving such a positive review. Not sure what the weather is like in New Jersey this time of year, but Naples decided to skip winter this year! We invite you to come back down and see us soon. Thanks again for your continued support.

"Great course, very challenging"

lincolnt's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 2/11/2013

A super well maintained course with excellent service and challenging fairways & greens. Definite risk reward attributes.

Commented on 12/21/2016

Thank you for spending the day with us and for providing such a positive review. It sounds like you really enjoyed the course. Did you know we recently remastered the Gold Course and are planning to do the same to the Black Course next year? Come back and see us real soon!

"Enjoyable at a reduced / discounted price!"

GSPostalian's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 2/10/2013

Suggest playing this course ONLY if you can get it at a 25%+ or more discounted rate ... otherwise overpriced at the regular rate!

Prefer the Gold over the Black course, as it is slightly more forgiving. A good challenge off the tees and around the greens on most holes, with some forced carries on a few holes either off the tee or on the 2nd shots.

Commented on 12/21/2016

Thank you for spending the day with us and for leaving such an honest review. We are glad you got to play both courses. Did you know we recently remastered the Gold Course? We are going to do the same to the Black Course next year. We invite you to come back and see us. We think you are going to love the changes. Come back and visit real soon!

"Challenging to say the least...................."

jhmeresqu's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/27/2013

Wow........That's all I can say.......Very challenging ......As one of the Rangers said during a brief conversation.......You play this course when you think you have game and then, suddenly it brings you back to Reality.............Greens super slick and your second shots have to be spot on or else you are in trouble. I'd like to have a second shot at this course, knowing the layout and how it plays......I'd play it a little differently. Great time had by all.

Commented on 12/21/2016

Thank you for spending the day with us. Yes, both the Gold and the Black Courses are challenging. Did you know we recently remastered the Gold Course and are planning to do the same to the Black in 2017? We invite you to come back and see us soon. The Gold Course doesn't have rough now, offering an even tougher challenge! Thanks again for your support!

"Pricey but you get what you pay for"

docethan's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 1/27/2013

This course (black) has enough tees to be very difficult to very playable. Perfect conditions from tee to Greens and excellent pace of play (4 1/2 hrs) without feeling rushed.<br/> Staff is very nice and helpful. Facility is excellent and pro shop is stocked with everything!!<br/> Well worth the price if you can do it!

Commented on 12/21/2016

Thank you for spending the day with us and for leaving us such a positive review. We are glad you enjoyed your day at Tiburón Golf Club. Since you played the course, we remastered the Gold Course and will be doing the same to the Black Course in 2017. We invite you to come back and see us soon. Thanks again for your support!