14th green on the Black course at Tiburón Golf Club
Learn more about becoming a member at
Tiburón Golf Club - Black Course

Style Links

Year Built 2001
Architect Greg Norman (2001)

Caddies Yes
Golf Simulator Yes

Single Allowed No
Dress code Men: Shirts with collars & sleeves, slacks or Bermuda length shorts; Women: Dresses, skirts, slacks or Bermuda length shorts

Restaurant

Clubhouse, Spa, Locker Rooms

Available Sports

Fitness, Tennis

Great Round!

Excellent course with a great staff. Course was pristine and well laid out. One of the best courses in Naples!

Not worth the price

Not a very good layout for the price / actually a very boring course
There are so many better layouts and values in the Naples area

Can’t wait to play the gold course

It’s a tight course to say the least, first time playing i had 2 balls that landed in fairway and energy up in water. Really cool layout with trails and always keto you exciting. The par 3s are w bit vanilla for what was expecting. Greens were unreceptive long irons won’t hold you have to land in front of greens, unless you have 8-or shorter in the ball will not hold. Didn’t use the ball mark repair took I got 1 time today

I lived in Fort Myers, FL for a few years and had the opportunity to play the Tiburón Golf Club on several occasions. There were several memorable holes; the finishing holes on each side and the first hole on the Gold Course, a reachable par five. More on that in a bit. Another memory that stood out in my mind about the course was the rough, or lack thereof. As I recall, the grass was the same length, whether you were in the middle of the fairway or rolling off the side into a palmetto bush. Any type of hook or slice – which was my game at the time – usually meant reaching into the bag for another ball. It also led to long rounds of golf; sometimes 4 ½ - 5 hours. Trust me, you didn’t want to be the group behind us!

That was about 7 or 8 years and several sets of clubs ago. A few months ago I had the opportunity to spend a couple of days at Tiburón and play both courses and my, how things have changed! There’s now a cut of rough which defines the fairways as well as areas around several greens where deeper Bahia rough has been recently planted and should fill in nicely before the 2020 season officially kicks off. For my money, both courses are a lot more playable and enjoyable.

In case you’re not familiar with the property, Tiburón Golf Resort is located in Naples, FL and features two 18-hole, Greg Norman-designed golf courses that are consistently rated among the top 20 golf facilities in Florida by Golf Digest and GOLF Magazine. Each year The Gold and The Black Courses play host to the LPGA Tour's CME Group Tour Championship and the PGA TOUR's QBE Shootout (formerly the Shark Shootout). Tiburón – which by the way is Spanish for shark - Golf Club has been designated as a Certified Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary by Audubon International.

As you play your way around either course, you’ll encounter numerous and various hazards. Towering pines form the boundaries on several holes and are often surrounded by coquina shell waste areas. You’ll also need to play around or over water on at least 13 holes depending on how bad you spray it. Many of the greenside bunkers have stacked sod walls which look great and can be very penal, although I hit into one on the 9th hole of the Gold Course and it shot around and out the other side like the high banked ovals at Daytona!

The Gold Course opened in 1998 and the Black Course in 2001. Both courses follow Norman's philosophy of blending the course in with the natural allure of the land. Tiburón is a semi-private golf club meaning memberships are available and guests of the hotel and the general public are welcome to play. Although Tiburón’s average age is probably in the mid-60s - low for this part of the country - they do cater to a younger crowd by offering Golfboards – a motorized type of skateboard with a golf bag attachment - as an alternative to golf carts.

Of the two courses, the Gold Course is a little over 400 yards longer and can play a masochistic 7,382 yards, compared to 6,949 yards on the Black. However, the slope rating on the Gold is 137 vs 147 for the Black, making it considerably easier. There are enough sets of tees on each course that you’ll find a comfortable yardage regardless of your ability.

The Black Course has a very distinctive look with its pine straw-lined fairways, crushed coquina waste areas and undulating greens nestled amidst acres of pine trees and native Florida foliage. The Black Course offers six sets of tees and is similar in design and beauty to the Gold Course. As you make your way around, you’ll find lush playing conditions and wonderful views. The green complexes can be penal and some of the bunker complexes are massive. Play around your way around the layout without finding a trap and you’ve accomplished something.

The 9th hole is a par 5 that is a three-shot hole for most players. A tee shot that finds the fairway is a great start, but it’s just the beginning. You’ll need to hit a precise second shot, preferably in the middle of the fairway to have the best angle in to the green. Your approach shot will be over a large coquina shell waste area and a lake that protects the left side. Now that you’re skilled at playing over water, you’re ready to take on the par 3, 10th hole, that plays 188 yards from the back tees. A right-side pin placement can be tricky as it leaves only a sliver of green over a bunker. Par both of these holes and you’ve accomplished something!

Within Tiburón's 27,000 square-foot Mediterranean-style clubhouse you’ll find private locker rooms for members with lounge areas and an award-winning golf shop. There are also three dining rooms including Sydney’s Pub, which has a full liquor bar and features daily drink and happy hour specials. They also offer a rotating selection of local draft beers. The non-member dinner menu includes a wide variety of items including meatloaf, chicken pot pie, and braised short ribs. The Ritz Carlton Golf Resort is located on the property as well. As a Tiburon Club Member, you’ll have access to the tennis courts at The Ritz-Carlton Golf Resort as well as the fitness center, pool, and spa.

Becoming a member at Tiburon is easy; they offer several options that will meet anyone’s needs and budget. Medallion, Associate Club and Signature Memberships are available to both residents and non-residents of Tiburón communities and also include the use of Tiburón Golf Club's Member Concierge Program. The Medallion Membership is by invitation only. There’s also a Preview Membership if you’re not 100% sure, but with everything Tiburón has to offer how can there be any doubt?

Worth the price

It is worth the price to play the Black Course once. Great condition, fair layout.

Tiburón Black - Checked Off My List

I’ve been waiting to play this course for a year. The Black course has no rough to speak of, but you have to keep it on the fairways to have any chance for a good round. The course is in great condition and the greens were perfect. Nonetheless, it did not live up to my expectation and from a value-for-the-money point of view, I won’t be back. By the way, don’t bother with the Gold course. It lacks the character of the Black. The 19th hole was great for drinks and lunch. The golf shop staff was superb.

Nice course but overpriced

Nice track and in good condition but way overpriced.

Poor Public course experience For a resort course

Where do I start with this horrible experience? Well the cashier was unfriendly and unhelpful. There was no starter to keep any order at the first tee (3 groups standing there). Players hitting multiple balls up the first fairway. No one at the range to provide balls to hit. In fact, when I went to the practice green to chip the golf instructor picked up every last ball for his students leaving me with nothing. When I went to complain the cashier once again ignored me. At this point I figured it was sooooo bad That there was little to be gained by doing so and I was a guest at the Ritz Carlton for a week. I came specifically for the golf. What a waste. If you are looking for a poor public course experience this is your place. If you are looking for a Ritz-Carlton experience forget about it! The golf is not run by the Ritz and it shows. What an embarrassment!

The Black course is a bit tighter than your avg course and the design never varied from that feature. I was hoping to see some surprises (where it opened up a bit here and there) but it stayed the same. Greens were very fair. (they didn't have much slope/break to them) I heard through the grapevine that I should have booked on the Gold course which is more open and interesting.

Fantastic greens

Played 27 holes in 2 days while dodging a tropical depression which left quite a bit of rain but the course was in such great shape it wasn’t soggy muddy and the greens were still like pool tables! Loved it played shorter than the gold course but much narrower.

We scheduled a tee time for Sunday at 11:00. We got a call from Golf Now at 9:00 that they had cancelled our reservation because of a golf outing. I don't know why they couldn't have scheduled us on the other course. Very disappointing.

The black course is great and the staff is top quality.

Really, Not that great

I played Tuesday 7/9/19 @ 7:30am. First of all not one person said anything to me. When I went up to pay the only thing the guy said was enter your card and take out your card. I was a single (family vacation) I can’t be the only one that plays on vacation and happens to be by myself. Unless your a member or with a big group they seem to not want you there. As I went downstairs, once again no one says anything. I grabbed my cart and go. The starter looks at me like I have three eyes and only says you can go it some balls if you want. After hitting some balls I came back right before my tee time, still he said nothing. Finally he said go join that twosome on the box. The golf was fine but nothing special about the course. Fairways were just above average and the greens were barely okay. Very sandy and slow. Not sure when they punched them but could still see some holes. We played in four hours (mostly cart path only) but pace of play was fine. Afterwards again no one said anything. A couple cart guys were standing around but again didn’t say a word. I’m not one that needs someone to take my clubs off and clean them but maybe how did everything go or something like that would of been nice. But again I wasn’t a member so I felt like second class to them. I’m a member somewhere back home so I do understand the service part of golf unfortunately they didn’t. The last straw that totally was wrong was when I was walking or trying to find my way back to the parking lot the starter was sitting in his cart and I had to ask him the best way to parking lot and he just wink and pointed. I get it, they have enough members or get enough public play to be fine but one day the lack of service might bite them. I read a lot of reviews about how great the service was but really this was awful.

Great day out.

Wow. From phone call to book a tee time to packing the clubs in the car to leave the experience of Tiburón was excellent. Was offered their best rate of $80 for a 1230 tee time and was worth every cent. Great staff and a great course. All in excellent condition and the Black course is very playable for all levels of player. Just the one gripe (hence the 4* rating) two groups had combined into an 8 ball and were having a party day - music blaring, load mouth quips at their (many) shots. Luckily they let me through as soon as I caught them but has to put up with the noise for a few holes. No marshal anywhere to be seen to sort out. Maybe would expect at the local muni but not at a course like Tiburón?

Good layout

Beautiful course. Mostly great condition. Greens were a little sandy which made them inconsistent. We played at twiggy rate so was a great value.

Great day

Course was everything I expected I got grouped with three other guys we all had a good time.

4.0195647059