Year Built 2010
Fairways Seashore Paspalum
Greens Seashore Paspalum
Architect Pete Dye (2009) Perry Dye (2009)

Pull-carts No

Practice Hole No

Credit Cards Accepted Major credit cards welcomed
Dress code Collared shirt required

Nice Pete Dye Design

I played this course 20 times during my vacation to Roatan last year. this course has a good layout. Conditions are average. Bunkers need a lot of maintenance. They were rock hard. Local permits loosening a patch of sand and place your ball on it. it has a hole duplicating no. 17 at Sawgrass. It is fun to play. Not too difficult. A lot of cruise ship passengers play this course when their ship stops in Roatan. Try it if you visit Roatan.

Challenging

I golf once, sometimes twice a week in central florida. This course was very challenging from the elevation changes and fairway bunkers. The course was in great shape, greens were beautiful. Unfortunately, Roatan Island had 60 inches of rain in a single day the week prior so there were some very, very soggy spots. Without our caddie, we would have lost many balls due to plugging in the fairways.
Having the caddie along was fantastic, he was a great guy, knew the course and was very friendly. Well worth the money.
Bring extra golf balls and your camera. The scenery is beautiful and so is the golf!

Jones did it again

Incredible Golf Course. Owners must touch base with reality. The ability to bring average golfers in is very restrictive. They got good service are unavailable to the public without paying a large fee. More directions should be spent toward bringing a larger quantity of golfers to the island. The course was practically empty which indicates the prices are not set correctly. The course is in perfect condition, no weeds. The practice areas are restricted to playing persons only. One should be able to go practice on the Range and then they will really want to play

Nice Day at the Black Pearl

I believe this is the 5th time I've played the course. The layout and design are excellent, challenging but not overly so. Landing areas are fairly wide and expansive, greens have many undulations and fairly large. Scenary is beautiful, you can see the Carribean Sea from many holes. The course was in pretty solid condition considering they've had very little rain lately. It's never been busy there anytime I've played, so I wonder how they stay in business?
If you're a golfer and spending some time in Roatan, I'd highly recommend playing.
The restaurant at the hotel is very nice as is the one in the Beach Club, if you want to grab something to eat after your round.
We rented clubs, I paid $25 for some TaylorMade's that were several years old but they were adequate, especially for the price. They also have newer Ping rentals for $40.
One issue is that the batteries in the carts don't seem to be maintained well. Ours barely made it through 18 holes, was basically out of juice when we finished.

I play this course a few times a year and overall it is great. The last few times I have played there has been no balls on the driving range and the other downside is the battery life on the golf carts. My last 4 rounds we have not been able to finish with the same cart, the batteries must be getting old or not maintained, either way not much fun running out of juice half way through our round.

The good and the bad

The course was challenging but wonderful to play. The only problem we had was our golf cart had no power to get up the very steep hills. When the beverage cart came around the girl phoned the front desk three times for us but they did not show up with a new cart until the 16th whole. We had to walk and push the cart from the 8th hole. No apologies were given at the end

One with the course

I played The Black Pearl twice during my stay in Roatan. My first round I played from the blue tees and shot an 82. I was very happy with this as I expected lots of trouble if I missed the fairways. Luck has it that my driver was very good to me and I really played with confidence. Two days later I played with my brother who just got married the day before and we played from the whit tees since his experience level is not that expansive. From the whites I shot a 78.
The course was virtually empty both days I played it. The weather was phenomenal with the slightest of breeze to keep your skin cool. I did get a good rate from GolfNow and feel it was well worth the $75. I would like to see GPS in the carts and possibly some drinking water coolers positioned on the course. The beverage cart just didn't make it around very much which I couldn't understand with the lack of players on the course.
The "pro shop" is one of the smallest I have ever seen and considering this is a resort I expected more merchandise with their brand. The resort itself is gorgeous and the scenes of the ocean are few and far between. Homes don't really come into play but there are a few scattered around.
I stayed in West Bay which was nearly an hours drive to the course in Pristine Bay. I did love the course but found some maintenance issues spread throughout the course. By far the most difficult part of this course are the greens, I found the fairways had generous landing areas unless you get really erratic.
If I could choose again, I'll play Indura in Tela on the mainland before The Black Pearl.

The Pearl is a Pearl

Wow. One of the most beautiful courses this old duffer has played. Greens and fairways were wonderful. The bunkers were not a bright spot - almost no sand in most. The rough was not too penalizing, but something to respect. The views are incredible. My favorite is the view of the bay from the club house second floor balcony. The pro shop is woefully deficient. Even the average duffer shouldn't need more than one sleeve of balls. The ride from the boat to the course was a bit hair raising. Soldiers with machine guns at several locations along the road. Takes about 45 minutes from the port. Very fair and also challenging course for us old farts.

Good second time around

Returned to play the Black Pearl after four years and was not disappointed. Much of the "others" remain a work in progress, such as the cart paths and even the pro shop, which moved downstairs but is still too small for a course of this stature. The course has matured nicely and despite the recent (including the day of play) rains drained generally well. Very well maintained. Greens were slower than I would have liked but generally true and smooth. Best aspect was that they removed the ridiculous tree in the middle of the fairway on #16, although Dye probably kicked and screamed about that. Highly recommend this course which while giving you ocean views also has significant elevation changes. Will challenge the novice but this course can be had if you're an intermediate or good golfer.

Awesome Course

The course was tough but fun. Bring plenty of balls, I only lost 4, but I could have lost more. Heard others lost all of their balls. I had a caddy for the first time ever which was cool. The course has an awesome island green par 3! The views are amazing. There is a driving range that I didnt use, but it is kind of far from "clubhouse." The first tee is far too. But once out there, the round will be awesome. Definitely recommend if you are in Roatan. The green fees can be a little pricey. I was able to find a deal online for about 1/3 of the price, which made me feel a lot better about it!

The Pearl in Roatan

We enjoyed the course albeit after three days of significant rainfall in Roatan. The course is beautiful and challenging. Straight shooters will do well. Errant shots will require a bevy of balls as these shots will find the wetlands.

Use GolfNow to find the best rates and ask the Pro Shop to honor if the weather is unpredictable and you do not want to commit to a specific day.

Black Pearl is the best Roatan has to offer.

Stunning greens and blues!

Play this course regulary, greens are excellent and it is seldom busy, Roatan has a true gem of a course that challenges all levels of ability........wildlife and scenery are great too.

Challenging fun

Beautiful greens and wide fairways, but plenty of hazards to watch for.

I have played many Pete/Perry Dye courses and this one is equal to any. Beautiful views and fun holes, highly recommend to both beginners and low handicaps. The front 9 was a bit more challenging than the back and the first 3 holes are tough.The greens were in perfect shape which made for a good day. The views from the higher holes are really amazing. The reef is in the background to #11 green and the water color is spectacular. The par 3's were all tough from the blue tees but fun. The wind came up in the afternoon and cooled it down but made the golf a bit more challenging. We look forward to coming to play every year from now on. Easy trip down from the Colorado Springs/ Denver area

Amazing view!!!

One of the most beautiful courses I have ever played.
Amazing view, staff is great, food is good.
The course is very challenging, it has easy holes and very difficult ones.
The island green on the 12th is amazing, 100% recommended.

Amazing Course

If you are ever in Roatan, you have to play this course, I got of a cruise ship and played a round, I did not expect much but it is classic Dye, starts very difficult, eases trough the round and ends up difficult again, they have a beautiful resort, I am coming back for a extended vacation.

Pete Dye at his best

This is an amazing course at a great resort "Pristine Bay", it is the only course in Roatan, and if you visit this beautiful island in the western caribbean, you must play it. It has the traditional Pete Dye island green as the signature hole with a little twist, it has a partially submerged bunker around it. It has perfectly manicured Paspallum tees and greens, and the service is excellent I highly recommend it. A 2 hour flight out of Houston, I come back often and plan to retire there.

Playing in Paradise

With 14 holes having views to the carabean ocean, this place is really beautiful, With the 12 being the signature hole, the island hole is more intimidating than hard. But in all the black pearl is a good test of skill fo everybody.

Valid dates: Dec 05, 2019 - Nov 01, 2020