The Golf Club of Texas

The best testament one can give The Golf Club of Texas (formerly known as The Golf Club of Texas at Briggs Ranch) is that it hosts some big local tournaments.  The large greens and tee boxes are some of the very best San Antonio has to offer.  This is truly a high end facility. If you have not been out to enjoy this course you really need to.  The place is all greened up and with the unique landscaping it's just a real pretty experience with great golf.   The golf carts are outfitted with GPS which gives accurate distance to the pin and shows the contours of the greens.  This track combines Links Style golf with Hill Country golf, giving players a taste of both types of golf.  The course is among the best that San Antonio has to offer. The senior staff is very experienced and the service is all that you would expect at a high-value public course.  The new clubhouse is beautiful and features a full service restaurant. After playing a round, you will really enjoy just sitting on the porch and taking in the view.

Directions:  20 Minutes from downtown. Take U.S. 90 west to Texas 211 (2 exits past loop 1604) and we on the right.  From downtown take 90 west to Texas 211.

Silver 72 5559 yards 67.0 113
Scorecard for Texas
Black M: 74.1/130 384 448 186 359 553 222 439 526 465 3582 440 414 187 549 360 187 449 435 534 3555 7137
Gold M: 71.3/125 341 413 165 335 488 195 384 517 441 3279 407 377 167 513 351 175 415 395 499 3299 6578
Blue M: 68.6/122 W: 73.5/124 341 375 128 335 376 154 322 517 383 2931 366 333 130 513 351 147 338 395 499 3072 6003
Silver M: 67.0/113 W: 71.9/120 304 375 128 309 376 154 322 401 383 2752 366 333 130 476 288 147 338 309 420 2807 5559
White M: 63.7/106 W: 67.9/111 253 349 98 260 328 141 289 357 324 2399 325 309 88 438 259 108 311 215 386 2439 4838

Year Built 2000
Fairways Jamur Zoysia Grass
Greens L1F Zoysia Grass
Architect Lee Trevino (2000) Roy Bechtol (2014) Randolph P. Russell (2014)

Golf School Academy Yes - "Bryan Gathright Golf Academy"

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, American Express, Mastercard, Discover

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 Most Improved U.S. Golf Courses (2017 #24)

Entertaining Clients 12

Great Value

Fantastic value for the money. Greens a little hard, but great course layout with natural surrounding environment. Will play again.

Commented On 2019-03-12T13:36:37.000+00:00

Hello, We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Hard greens, hard fairways, ball bounce high!

No dought greens are hard, I couldn’t get the ball to check at all, normally never have a problem. Than when I came up short hitting the green the ball stopped, Humm. Bunkers like half need sand replaced to many rocks & dirt. Overall was like playing a muney coarse, for the dollar it’s a good coarse to play at least once.

Commented On 2019-03-01T14:03:40.000+00:00

Hi Pat, Thank you for providing your feedback. We would like to apologize for greens and bunkers. We will address your comments with our team in order to make improvements. But we are glad that you liked the value for the money. Thank you for your business and please come back again soon.

Awful

This course is so bad you will lose your ball in the fairway. Grass is overgrown, ground is hard as a rock, greens are a sand trap. Horrible course. Take your money to Canyon Springs.

Commented On 2019-03-04T16:40:19.000+00:00

Hello, Thank you for providing your feedback. We will address your comments with our team in order to make improvements. Please allow us to make it up to you in the near future.

Commented On 2019-02-25T14:39:37.000+00:00

Hi Joel, Thank you for your 5-star rating! Book another round with us soon.

Great day all around

Course is much improved since I last played here 2 months ago. The staff is always first rate!

Commented On 2019-02-19T15:00:20.000+00:00

Hello, Thank you for noticing our improvements. Book your next tee time with us soon.

Commented On 2019-02-19T15:00:30.000+00:00

Hello, Thank you for your 5-star rating! Book another round with us soon.

Commented On 2019-02-19T15:00:40.000+00:00

Hello, Thank you for your 5-star rating! Book another round with us soon.

Almost there

I must repeat what a previous reviewer mentioned. Most of the sand traps did not have sand! Just raked dirt that was very hard in the Texas sun and allowed for easier removal of errant shots. But, who really wants that? One hole had large flat hard sand traps that I used to skip through to the green. Not very realistic golf. These same sand traps had visual trails where other walking golfers had easily walked right across the sand traps. This course is very close to a super play while very close to an average play. What will the owners choose? Even the potholes in the long driveway suggest that maintenance is not important to an otherwise fine facility.

Commented On 2019-02-19T15:02:43.000+00:00

Hello, Thank you for providing your feedback. We would like to apologize for our course conditions and will address your comments with our management team. In order to make improvements to the course. Please allow us to make it up to you in the near future.

Firm greens

Great course layout, staff was very helpful and friendly. Was wet when we went out but the greens in great shape but very firm even with all the moisture. Great value.

Commented On 2019-02-12T14:39:23.000+00:00

Hello, Thank you for leaving The Golf Club of Texas an awesome 5-star rating. We're glad to have met your overall expectations in course layout, value for the money and friendly staff. Book your next tee time with us soon.

Austin Advisor

If Only The Course Matched The Clubhouse

The clubhouse et al was great and the staff personable and friendly. Two thumbs up for that! But now let's get to the rest...

I always try to be a fair reviewer. If you're awesome then I'll shout it from the mountain tops. But if you lacking, then I'm going to point that out just as well. It's not meant to tear down a course nor their personnel. It's meant to give an honest interpretation of my experience. Some courses might listen and make adjustments were applicable. And some won't be able to swallow their pride and will subsequently brush off said comments. Those latter courses will very likely see a steady decline in business, revenue, rates they can charge, etc. We'd all like every course to be in tip-top shape. While it's just not possible, all courses should put in the appropriate effort.

I know that some course comments below are influenced by the fact that we're playing in the winter. But this is also central Texas and it's been a very mild winter. In the end, I feel my commentary is mostly justified regardless of the time of year. On top of that, I see a number of recent reviews all saying how the course is in great shape, etc. The layout is fine and all. But I'm wondering if some of y'all need to get out more and play some other courses for comparison. While my review may seem so, I wasn't in a bad mood today. I actually scored quite well today; quite well comparatively. Anyway, my review stands.

I'll discuss the clubhouse etc later in this review as I like to address the golf portion of courses first.

There are three (3) putting greens; one even has a bunker on the side for practicing those sand shots. There's also a driving range -- narrow and short -- but it'll let you warm up a bit. Unlike the About description on their GolfAdvisor page, the carts do NOT have GPS; not anymore at least. Not sure when that write-up was written but it's out of date in more ways than one.

As we started our round, several tee boxes were a little, well, moist (almost muddy). It's almost like it'd rained fairly hard the day or two prior ... but it hadn't rained. They'd also seen a lot of play. I'm not sure if the tee box markers need to be moved more often or if they have a ton of players that we didn't see digging divots like gold was underneath. And more than one tee box's void had essentially been filled in with sand.

Zoysia grass fairways are a little different than what we're used to seeing at the majority of courses. It's just not as consistent when making a shot. It's kind of hard to explain it; you'll just have to try it for yourself. I noticed a significant amount of clover on the first fairway or two but it seemed to clear up for the most part after that. One suggestion I have for the course is to paint (and/or repaint) yardage markers on the cart paths. A lot of players need those. Having a 150 b&w pole is great, but let's add in those red-100, white-150, blue-200, and yellow-250 painted stripes on the concrete. It's an easy, low-cost addition to have and maintain. Now back to those fairways and first cut of rough -- perhaps it's a thing with Zoysia ... or perhaps y'all just need to mow more often. I truly don't know. What I do know is that the fairway should not have clumps nor piles of dead cut grass. It wasn't on every hole but certainly present on enough holes that I took note of it.

I expect the rough to be rough, but this was on the rougher side. There was a lot of weeds -- tall grassy weeds. There was also a lot of broad-leaf weeds in the transition area from the fairway to the rough. Are we going for a natural look without using chemicals or is your pesticide sprayer trailer broken?

The bunkers were all full and freshly raked. Unfortunately, it went downhill from there. We counted two maybe three different kinds of bunker material. I'd call it sand but it just ... wasn't. The medium brown was more of a clay based dirt with minimal bounce. The tan certainly looked like sand until you stepped in it. One version felt like caliche and the other hardened kitty litter. They too had minimal bounce if any. In many places you had to pick out the nickel sized rocks from around your ball. One of my players was breaking in his new irons on this round; he flat out refused to hit from the bunkers. We didn't blame him.

The (often quite large) greens were all a bit firm; more so on the back nine. I've never had back-to-back easy and high iron shots (which were some of the best I hit all day) hit the green, bounce 10-15 feet straight up, and then proceed to keep going off the back of the green. The greens were cut quite short and had a decently quicker speed than average. I have no problem with that. I did see a bit more thinness (dirt showing) on several of the front nine greens. The back nine seemed to be in better shape but did have a touch of disease/fungus here and there.

There's an ample number of water coolers on the course and a nice M/F bathroom setup after you finish #7/#12. The water cooler is even under the shade of the porch on this building; nice touch for those hotter months.

The clubhouse is fantastic. The pro shop is spacious and has everything you need including quick drinks and snacks. The bar/dining area has high ceilings, a bunch of tables, a full bar with stools, numerous TVs, great decor, great natural lighting, lots of windows and doors to the porch outside. And the events banquet room next to the dining area is just as nice. The covered porch out back runs the length of the entire building with a mixture of seating/chairs (rocking, comfy, padded table) along with ceiling fans. And finally, they have a large rock wall bordered fire pit along with a few more high-top tables and chairs overlooking the course below. It's all in all a really, really nice setup. It just felt completely out of place compared to the actual golf course. The main facility felt like a small-medium country club whereas the course felt more like an old, tired muny. It was a bit of Jekyll and Hyde.

The General Manager made the rounds during lunch checking with the various tables of 'old retired guys' (that I hope to be someday) who are regulars and/or members. That's good to see. I'd like to suggest that you also stop over at the table of younger 40/50 something year old new-to-your-course guys to see how things are going. It just might make the difference on having return guests, etc.

No course is the same as another. They don't all have high dollar membership bases. They aren't all located near high traffic areas, big neighborhoods, and/or more well-to-do (gated) neighborhoods. Unfortunately, the GCoT course is on the far west edge of San Antonio which really limits their reach to players. The area around them isn't developed enough. And yet there's another gated community course about three shots north with your driver. What!? They appear to be doing fine yet have a low number of (big) houses around the course. It's just kind of odd sometimes. A satellite image will show you where a road was built next to the GCoT course long ago but houses never came. All of these circumstances may very well (and very likely) factor into the budget of GCoT. And that, in turn, may limit them on their maintenance expenses. That's my assumption at least. But that's the golf industry. It's expensive and you have to have the support of your area and players in order to survive. I hope things can improve here. Perhaps the spring and summer months help bring the course conditions back to life a bit. As for me, they're not really losing my subsequent business because I don't live nearby nor even in San Antonio. But I don't see myself ever making the trek back to this course from south Austin. Peace.

Commented On 2019-02-12T14:48:23.000+00:00

Hi Gordon, Thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is important to us. We will make note and we hope to see you in the near future.

Commented On 2019-02-05T14:45:01.000+00:00

Great value.

Course has a nice layout. The greens were in really good condition for February. The staff was friendly. I have to commend the cart return guys because I left my range finder in the cart and they promptly had the clubhouse call me to return it.

Commented On 2019-02-05T14:55:19.000+00:00

Hi Thomas, We're glad to have met your overall expectations with our friendly staff and course layout. Also, we're happy to return left items. Thank you for your business and come back again soon!

One of my favorites

Great course design and good course conditions.
In my mind, there are only two deficiencies. There seems to be only one ball washer on the entire course and none on the carts. The bunkers around the greens are in great shape but the fairway bunkers need some attention.

The greens are very fast and challenging.

Our group had a great time!

Commented On 2019-01-30T14:16:16.000+00:00

Hello, We're glad you liked our course layout and course conditions. Book your next tee time with us soon.

Golf Club of Texas

For Hot Deal - it was a steal. Typical January golf - windy, dormant grass. If you like fast greens, definitely recommend course. I’ll be coming back to San Antonio in mid- March and will definitely play here again.

Commented On 2019-01-22T15:11:39.000+00:00

Hello, Thank you for recommending our course and we look forward to seeing you again in March 2019!

Commented On 2019-01-11T14:43:36.000+00:00

Thank you for your 5-star rating! Book another round with us soon.

Great Golf - Great improvements

On this particular day we had a frost delay - 07:50 tee time., actual tee off 09:00 (approximately). I had played here numerous times and it’s always getting better and better. Be ready for some of the fastest greens in the area. The grass is the same from tee to green which makes it look great throughout! They have upkepted the course to make it a little easier to find a strayed shot, but still thick enough to lose or make it unplayable from anywhere off the first cut off rough and further out. Still, the course is wide open to make it enjoyable for all handicap levels.

Commented On 2019-01-08T14:49:03.000+00:00

Thank you for your feedback. We're glad you had a pleasant round with us despite the frost delay. We hope you'll give us another shot soon!

Terrible condition

This course has so much potential and yet they continue to let it go. Greens are not receptive at all and hard as a rock. They do not roll well at all and the fairways are blotchy and dead. I will not be returning here again.

Commented On 2019-02-19T14:59:17.000+00:00

Hello, Thank you for providing your feedback. We would like to apologize for our course conditions. We will address your comments with our team in order to make improvements. Please allow to make it up to you in the near future.

Great shape considering the rain the day before. Great greens.

Commented On 2019-01-04T15:06:21.000+00:00

Thank you for the 4 stars! We're happy to learn you had a pleasant round despite the rain. We hope you'll give us another shot soon!

Cancel due to weather/course conditions

We didn't play, re-scheduled (rain check) for Monday 31st , half the course was under water due to thunderstroms . schedule for Monday 31st.

Commented On 2018-12-31T19:33:03.000+00:00

We hope you have a great round out there today! Happy New Year!

Castroville, Texas

Valid dates: Apr 13, 2019 - Apr 16, 2019
The Ak-Chin Smash in the Sun Stay & Play includes a three night stay at Harrah’s Ak-Chin, two rounds of golf at Ak-Chin Southern Dunes, and the ideal location to catch all of the long drive action during the Ak-Chin Smash in the Sun!