A sunset view of the clubhouse and a green at The Golf Club of Texas.

The best testament one can give The Golf Club of Texas (formerly known as The Golf Club of Texas at Briggs Ranch) is that it hosts some big local tournaments.  The large greens and tee boxes are some of the very best San Antonio has to offer.  This is truly a high end facility. If you have not been out to enjoy this course you really need to.  The place is all greened up and with the unique landscaping it's just a real pretty experience with great golf.   The golf carts are outfitted with GPS which gives accurate distance to the pin and shows the contours of the greens.  This track combines Links Style golf with Hill Country golf, giving players a taste of both types of golf.  The course is among the best that San Antonio has to offer. The senior staff is very experienced and the service is all that you would expect at a high-value public course.  The new clubhouse is beautiful and features a full service restaurant. After playing a round, you will really enjoy just sitting on the porch and taking in the view.

Directions:  20 Minutes from downtown. Take U.S. 90 west to Texas 211 (2 exits past loop 1604) and we on the right.  From downtown take 90 west to Texas 211.

The Golf Club of Texas

Year Built 2000
Fairways Jamur Zoysia Grass
Greens L1F Zoysia Grass
Architect Lee Trevino (2000) Roy Bechtol (2014) Randolph P. Russell (2014)

Golf School Academy Yes - "Bryan Gathright Golf Academy"

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, American Express, Mastercard, Discover

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 Most Improved U.S. Golf Courses (2017 #24)

Entertaining Clients 12

This course could be so much better

I'll start at the beginning. Pro shop staff is about the worst, unfriendly, disinterested and slow. The starter is the only person (outside of the bar staff) that actually is actually friendly. Oh, and 5 somes on a Sunday morning??? Now for the course. Overall for winter, the course isn't in terrible shape if it weren't for the constant problems with boars digging up the course. Bunkers are a complete joke, even under the best of circumstances, you're hitting out of worked over dirt. Greens roll well (in the mornings) but are so hard that unless you generate a very high shot or one with some spin, you're not holding a green. If you have to pay the full price ($69), play somewhere else. In it's current condition and staff issues, it's really about a $40 course. Bar staff (and food) are very good, which is about the only thing that saves this from being a 1 star reveiw.

Great Layout - Love Zoysia Grass

I don't get to play this course often but love it when I do! The challenging layout makes it fun but fair. Zoysia greens are fun to putt on (line stays true even though a little bumpy right now) Generally, all bunkers are ground under repair.

Attention course management: It seems the course is set up to start on the 10th hole not the 1st. I would think pace of play would be vastly improved by doing so. Especially since the 1st hole fairway is a blind tee shot (from the rear tees). And the back 9 holes have less trouble lining the fairways, Just my 2 cents!

We have played this course twice and both times had a great experience. The course is still largely dormant which I usually don't care for, but the grass was in great shape. Greens were starting to grow so they got a little bumpy but true.

We will be back again and again.

Decent Golf Course

Layout is great but the greens are very firm and don't hold. Most greens putt relatively good but a few are bouncy. t's a good course for the money. Staff is good and take care of you for the most part. Girls in the bar and restaurant are friendly and are quick to attend to your food and beverage needs.

Fun course

This Lee Trevino designed course is challenging. Well place water and bunker. Challenging and love it.

Beautiful Day

We had a terrific day to enjoy this course. The traps were in poor condition, the greens were hard and fast and the fairways were in good condition.

Course review

Greens like concrete and could use a good rolling very bumpy fairways in very nice shape bunkers could use sand and raking

In great shape

We play this course when in Texas is in great shape even with all the rain they have had.

staff

Staff was very skeptical that i was indeed the person I was saying I was, which I am. It seemed weird that I had to confirm who I was. I've used GolfNow to get tee times 100's of times all over Texas in the past few years and this is the first time I ever had to confirm without a doubt, who I was.

Nice layout; great price; zoysia greens difficult

The layout of the course, condition of the course, price and people at GC of Texas were very nice. The greens are zoysia grass, and were very inconsistent to read and putt. Balls wouldn't hold their line due to the bumpiness of the greens. Also the greens were not receptive because the greens were very hard. If the problem with the greens were fixed, this would be a fantastic golf course.

Great day at Golf Club of Texas

Nice staff. Course is in great condition. I’ll be back soon.

Course pluses

A wonderful layout and very challenging from the proper tee markers.. course condition was good although the pace of play on the back nine was turtle like (2.5 hrs.) very good value and I will definitely be playing it again.. cheers

Excellent

December 22nd and the greens are as good as you’ll ever play.

Excellent value

This course is great weekday course with a challenging layout, good pace of play this day no one in front of behind tee time 12:30 ish. Only issues were the bunkers which is well documented but not definitely not a deal breaker, and the greens don’t have much bite so play a lot of roll. Good luck!!

Commented on 11/21/2019

Thank you for your review, u000007161464. We will pass along your positive experience to our team at The Golf Club of Texas. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Great course but...

I love this course, and the staff but you can’t avoid the seniors in the area and they really hold up play. I understand that most people like to hit from the tips but the senior tees are there for a reason. Why do you want to shoot a 200 from the tips when you could easily be shooting in the 80’s from the senior tees. Not speaking like I’m some amazing golfer, my handicap is in the low 20’s and I tee off accordingly to not hold up play but It’s not uncommon for the seniors to have 2 to 4 cart pile up just waiting to tee off.

Commented on 11/15/2019

Thank you for your review, Ace83. We will pass along your positive experience to our team at The Golf Club of Texas. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Luv the Quality !

Overcast skies in the afternoon made for a prefect experience,,course in great shape, no delay, etc.

Commented on 11/01/2019

Hello, u000002254318. Thank you for your 5-star rating! Please book another round with us soon at The Golf Club of Texas!

Sweet!

I really enjoy this course. It's a tough course if you miss the fairfairways, but the fairways are generous. Love the grass, love the greens, my only bad mark for this course are the bunkers, otherwise I would give it 5 stars. I'm planplanning on getting the Wrangler membership, unlimited golf, range and a monthly comp round at Concan, sweet!

Commented on 11/01/2019

Robertgiles, we want to hear more about your experience with us! Please call us at (210) 504-2550. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Great game

What a awesome course, layout was nice and the greens were in great shape. We will be playing here more for sure.

Commented on 11/01/2019

Hello, rslong. Thank you for your 5-star rating! Please book another round with us soon at The Golf Club of Texas!

Needs Attention

Fairways extremely over watered(soft and muddy with extreme waste of water resource), greens under watered(hard and crusty)! Sand trap! What sand? Mud holes mostly! This course could use some attention, could be amazing if they really wanted to invest the time. Won’t go back any time soon.

Commented on 11/01/2019

Hello brwalton. Thank you for taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass along your feedback to the staff so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting us!

Commented on 10/21/2019

Thank you for visiting us at The Golf Club of Texas. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Valid dates: Mar 06, 2020 - May 06, 2020
Talamore’s Spring Signature Package (2 Nights / 3 Rounds), starting at $325 per person.