The Golf Club of Texas

GPS: Yes

Golf school / academy: Yes - "Bryan Gathright Golf Academy"

Credit cards accepted: Visa, American Express, Mastercard, Discover

Black 72 7121 yards N/A N/A
Gold 72 6578 yards N/A N/A
Silver 72 5559 yards N/A N/A
White 72 4838 yards N/A N/A

The best testament one can give The Golf Club of Texas (formerly known as The Golf Club of Texas at Briggs Ranch) is that it hosts some big local tournaments.  The large greens and tee boxes are some of the very best San Antonio has to offer.  This is truly a high end facility. If you have not been out to enjoy this course you really need to.  The place is all greened up and with the unique landscaping it's just a real pretty experience with great golf.   The golf carts are outfitted with GPS which gives accurate distance to the pin and shows the contours of the greens.  This track combines Links Style golf with Hill Country golf, giving players a taste of both types of golf.  The course is among the best that San Antonio has to offer. The senior staff is very experienced and the service is all that you would expect at a high-value public course.  The new clubhouse is beautiful and features a full service restaurant. After playing a round, you will really enjoy just sitting on the porch and taking in the view.

Directions:  20 Minutes from downtown. Take U.S. 90 west to Texas 211 (2 exits past loop 1604) and we on the right.  From downtown take 90 west to Texas 211.

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs convenient to the city   Great for locals advanced golfers entertaining clients   Challenges include bunkers water hazards forced carries   Great for drinks dinner patio dining

u872920492's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/04/2018

Response from The Golf Club of Texas on 06/11/2018:

Thank you for the 5-star rating! Book your next round with us very soon.

Jason6343364's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/28/2018

Response from The Golf Club of Texas on 05/31/2018:

We are glad you value The Golf Club of Texas over other courses in San Antonio! Come play again soon.

"Scenic Stroll"

CFisher10's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/19/2018

This course from the moment that you pull up alongside it is very scenic. The staff that greeted me was very friendly. The driving range could use some work. The course has a very good layout. The course and the greens are very fast due to the dry nature. It gives you several challenging looks. Watch for a rattler on 12, in line with starters review. It was a very good time for the amount paid. Met some really nice people. It was a great time overall.

Response from The Golf Club of Texas on 05/21/2018:

We appreciate your feedback and are glad you found value in the golf course. We hope to see you out there again soon.

"Bunkers"

bsemtbob1's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/12/2018

I know the course is trying.but they need to gix the bunkers .forget the new golf carts.the carts you have are just fine .other than that! This is a awsome course to play.go play it .

Response from The Golf Club of Texas on 05/15/2018:

Thank you for your feedback. We will look into your bunkers concern. We look forward to your next round with us!

u872920492's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/07/2018

Response from The Golf Club of Texas on 05/09/2018:

Thank you for the 5-star rating! We are glad you enjoyed your round with us. Come play again soon!

"It ain’t what it ain’t"

RECSulRoss's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/05/2018

The Golf Club of Texas is far from what it could be. There is a ton of potential in the course, it’s layout and the club house but it just doesn’t come close.

I’ve played 18 holes out there several times looking for some improvement in the greens and fairways. It just hasn’t happened. The Greens are hard, fast and won’t hold an approach or pitch. I won’t be heading out there again.

Response from The Golf Club of Texas on 05/07/2018:

We appreciate your feedback. The course will be undergoing greens maintenance to soften them up, and we expect to see improvements very soon.

"Very good shape"

jnjstevens's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/02/2018

Nice course. Well maintained. Greens are in good shape and the course can be as challenging as you need it to be based on your tee box.

Only negative is the bunkers. Ive seen less rocks in a gravel pit. Not sure why this is but it wouldn’t stop me from coming here again or recommending it to others.

Burgers are quite tasty, also.

Response from The Golf Club of Texas on 05/04/2018:

We agree--the course is looking fantastic! We appreciate the recommendation and hope to see you out there again soon.

"Great Pace, Weather, Layout =Great time !"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/30/2018

Greans are fast, but roll true. Course requires every club in your bag, Had overcast (afternoon) skies, nice breeze , good course conditions, etc.

Response from The Golf Club of Texas on 05/03/2018:

Thank you for the wonderful 4-star review! We are glad you enjoyed the greens on a beautiful day. We hope to see you out there again soon.

"Not a great experience"

billysimm's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/27/2018

The course is in good shape, especially the greens. They were fast and rolled true. The bunkers were horrible. No sand. Instead, they had mud and rocks. Could not even play out of the bunkers. I was a little disappointed with everything else. Before the round, I bought some beer from the bar area. A little pricey, and they don't even have coolers to give you to put on the cart. Instead, they give you a plastic bag with ice, which melts all over the cart. Kind of hard to believe they don't have coolers. Anyway, there is not much drinking water available on the course. At one of the water coolers, there were no cups available. After hitting my approach shot to the first hole, I wanted to repair the divot. There were two bottles on the carts that are supposed to have sand to repair the divots, but neither bottle had sand. Finally, there are very few trash cans on the course to throw away your trash. We had to keep all of our trash in the cart until the end of the round. Finally, don't use the GPS device they have on the cart unless you want to be bombarded with ads. You constantly have to keep tapping the screen to get rid of the ads so you can see your distance. This was really annoying. This course has a lot of issues they need to fix.

Response from The Golf Club of Texas on 04/30/2018:

Hello Billy, thank you for sharing your review, We truly appreciate both your positive and constructive feedback regarding the course conditions and will be sure to pass it along to our team. We’re thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our staff and sceneries at The Golf Club of Texas, and also appreciate your input on our maintenance. We hope to welcome you back for an enjoyable experience on the course in the near future.

"Friendly staff and great food"

anthonyray444's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/21/2018

Course is great and clean. Nice atmosphere in the club house. Food was great Trina and her staff were very kind and attentive

They went out of the way to make things right.

Response from The Golf Club of Texas on 05/02/2018:

Thank you for the great review. We are glad you had a wonderful experience at The Golf Club of Texas. We hope to see you out there again soon.

"Slow"

Mark8569769's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/20/2018

Slow play made me only play 9 holes even though I paid For 18.

Response from The Golf Club of Texas on 04/27/2018:

We apologize for the slow pace of play on that Friday. We will take steps to speed it up because we understand the pace of play is key to your game. We hope you give us another shot soon!

"One year, big difference"

joshsmith12's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/17/2018

Played the Golf Club of Texas last year and decided to return. One year seemingly made a big difference in the course. I do not remember the bunkers looking so poorly, but most were rock pits from what I could tell. Played an evening round and pretty much had the course to myself. The Zoysia fairways seem more like regular grass than normal fairways to me. I’d think normal Bermuda would’ve been nicer honestly. Weed patches are beginning to come up in places that do not look aesthetically pleasing. Greens rolled decently quick but seemed very inconsistent. The course layout is great, variety of holes with the back nine being the better of the two. Par 5s are extremely well designed. Greens are huge so choose the right club if playing. Walking this course would be easy after getting to the first hole. All in all, a nice value round of golf if you need to hit balls and work on your game. With some work or maybe different turf choices I believe this could be one of the better designs around town. Wouldn’t recommend making a special trip, but if around the area and need some good practice in, this is a course for you.

Response from The Golf Club of Texas on 04/20/2018:

Hi Josh, thank you for taking the time to review us, The Golf Club of Texas in the San Antonio area, and for the 3 stars. We're sorry to hear the course may not have been in the best shape on the day of your round, and we appreciate your feedback regarding the bunkers so may work on any necessary improvements. We also appreciate your dedication to playing our course and hope we can continue to provide you with a valuable golf experience. Thank you for golfing with us, and we hope to see you again soon.

"Poor management"

fhobbs51's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/15/2018

I have been playing this course every weekend for the last year and the management of the course has steadily declined. This last weekend was the last straw. Other courses from now on for me. The staff was not accommodating to the golfers, tee times not honored and seemingly the easiest thing, water was not available on the course. There was one bucket that had water, but no cups to be found anywhere. Not even one single ball washer anywhere. Snack bar staff was even worse, couldn’t even get a drink at the turn. Had to wait ten minutes to pay for my bottled drink and finally had to put it back in the cooler and head back to # 10 so as not to hold up the group behind. Staff didn’t care. Poor management in my book.

Response from The Golf Club of Texas on 04/27/2018:

We appreciate you taking the time the give us your feedback. We addressed this situation with our staff promptly. In addition, we are planning to add ball washers to the course in May, as well as club cleaners. Thank you for helping us improve.

"good play"

peterjack's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/14/2018

course and the people were very good, very good layout, good selection of short and long holes all the par 3 very different.

Response from The Golf Club of Texas on 04/27/2018:

We are glad you enjoyed the course layout as well as the course staff! Come play again soon.

"Good golf with unfortunately Lousy Service afterward - AGAIN!"

golfer69272's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/06/2018

Although the golf course was fun to play, I have to downgrade my overall rating due to the POOR SERVICE in the Bar/Restaurant area AGAIN. We waited 35 minutes to get served and I finally had to go to the bar to get drinks and order an appetizer. This is an on-going issue with this club and it needs to be fixed. The food manager and waitress staff need to understand that good service pays off, and lousy service such as this over an extended period of time detracts golfers from wanting to come back to play and relax after the round. This is the fourth straight visit to this course with the same lousy service. The club Manager needs to take corrective action to see that patrons are served in an appropriate time.

Response from The Golf Club of Texas on 04/09/2018:

Thank you for taking the time to review us, The Golf Club of Texas, and for the 3 stars. We're very sorry to hear you may not have had the best recent customer experience with us and we greatly appreciate your feedback so we may work towards any necessary improvements.Thank you for golfing with us, and we hope to see you again soon.

"Always a fun place with great course and friendly staff."

Currahees's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/03/2018

Typically, a fun place with a friendly staff. It's a great value with Hill Country terrain. The place is well managed with above average kitchen and bar area. Our 4some plays GCT as often as possible.

Response from The Golf Club of Texas on 04/27/2018:

We are glad you found value in the golf course! We look forward to seeing you and your group out there again soon.

Jim2348361's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/03/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Response from The Golf Club of Texas on 04/27/2018:

Thank you for the 4-star rating! Come play again soon.

uFEDX2612FE's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/26/2018

Response from The Golf Club of Texas on 04/27/2018:

Thank you for the 5 stars! We are glad you enjoyed your round.

Marymack's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/25/2018

Response from The Golf Club of Texas on 04/27/2018:

Thank you for the 4-star review! We are glad you have a great round. Come play again soon.

"Good Value and experience"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/23/2018
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

There are a couple of challenging holes. The course is in good shape and the greens receptive. They are replacing all the course signage so you need to keep an eye out a few times when the cart paths cross. Friendly staff. Will play this one again, hopefully with less wind.

Response from The Golf Club of Texas on 04/27/2018:

Thank you for the great review. Practice makes perfect, so we look forward to your next round with us!