This golf course is closed for business. Not true? Let us know.
Looking for other options nearby?

Editor's Note: Course closed for business in Dec 2017

Cannon Ridge Golf Club sprawls across 200 acres of rolling countryside situated along the shores of the Rappahannock River. Located in historic Fredericksburg on what was once a Civil War battle site, cannon emplacements accent the course. The diverse layout wanders through dense woodlands and across bluffs and deep ravines. The scenic wetlands come into play on a few holes. The greens are small and bordered by strategically placed bunkers, but they are open in the front, making them more player friendly with hardly any forced carries. The golf course is not always forgiving, though, it is even considered one of the toughest public courses in the state. Don't be fooled by the par 3s. They may be short but they are tough. In addition to the course, Cannon Ridge Golf Club offers a large driving range as well as chipping and putting greens.

Scorecard for Beman Course
Black M: 73.8/143 410 354 586 225 460 499 165 385 432 3516 432 210 551 430 365 224 575 182 553 3522 7038
Blue M: 72.5/141 388 340 565 213 455 460 150 360 420 3351 420 180 535 415 355 209 561 165 537 3377 6728
White M: 70.3/137 350 315 535 180 423 435 141 340 370 3089 364 155 514 375 325 180 519 146 486 3064 6153
Gold M: 67.8/131 W: 73.3/134 336 265 440 165 394 395 125 210 332 2662 354 150 469 352 296 175 482 139 452 2869 5531
Red M: 63.7/120 W: 67.3/120 295 190 420 135 335 285 119 205 301 2285 297 146 290 275 271 152 398 85 375 2289 4574

Year Built 2003
Greens L-93 Bent Grass
Architect Deane Beman (2003) Bobby Weed (2003) MacCurrach Golf (2003)

Great fairways

Bunkers need work and some greens were bad. Tough course but fun to play

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 11/08/2017:
Hello, we're sorry course conditions weren't up to par. We're happy you enjoyed our challenging layout and a quick pace of play. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club!

Great Value

Greens were in rough shape, fairway and tee boxes were fine, bunkers were pretty good overall. For a $12 hotdeal round it was great. Don Long is very nice and loves seeing people have a good time. Course has definitely seen better days but for under $20 I won’t complain. It was playable and that’s what matters.

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 11/01/2017:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed our friendly staff and a quick pace of play. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club!

Play it now, it's closing!

Played 27 holes and enjoyed the layout a lot. Plenty of doglegs and interesting shots. You will use every club. The course hasn't been getting the love it once had since it's closing Dec 1st but the fairways were plush. Even though the greens were somewhat bare, they still rolled true. The civil war fact plaques were very interesting. Play it for your first time or your last. I'll probably go back before it closes.

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 10/27/2017:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed our course layout and a good value. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club!

Great local course

This has been one of my go-to courses since it reopened, and I'm sad to hear that it's closing at the end of this season.

Conditions are above average - the putting surfaces are inconsistent, but the fairways are mostly outstanding (among the best I play all year).

Layout is pretty challenging - quite a few forced carries, and you definitely should stick to the appropriate tees for your game. Hole #16 is a monster par-5 that is one of my favorites (and also one of my most-feared). And Hole #5 is probably the toughest par-4 I play all season.

Thanks for the memories, Cannon Ridge. It's a shame to see you go.

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 10/25/2017:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed our good course conditions and challenging layout. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club!
Virginia Advisor

A Gem Of A Course That’s Gone Too Soon…

I procrastinated for two years to play Cannon Ridge and now that I finally have, I’m sad to hear it may well be my only time. The course closes to golf at the end of November, so if it’s been on your list to play like it was for me, you better hurry.

The news of the closure is a real shame because the course is a really nice one, I really enjoyed my round here. The layout is dynamic and challenging in a good way with plenty of variety, different shots required and course management to score well. There’s plenty of elevation changes (especially on the hilly back nine) and enough hazards to keep things interesting. Beginner golfers will appreciate the many open and inviting fairways from the tee.

The conditions of the course were very good, especially considering the impending closure, with smooth, even fairways and greens that were in great shape. Tee boxes, rough and bunkers were also generally well-maintained with a few exceptions. I haven’t played Lee’s Hill GC yet but I’d be surprised if the layout and conditions there are better than this course.

The staff was minimal when I played which is probably to be expected at this point. The off-course amenities are standard, pace of play was great once I was able to scoot past the sixsome(!) that tee’d off 20 minutes before me.

I payed $25 for my early morning round so I found this course to be a great value. I live 2 hours away from it but will try to make it out again before they close for good. I will be sad to see it go even though I’ve only played it once.

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 10/10/2017:
Hello, we're glad you enjoyed our challenging layout and good course conditions. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club!

value, but not a ton of play means little money for maintenence...

greens were spotty, fairways nice in most areas. as bare as they were in some spots, they always seemed to roll true. would play again for the value and the weather was absolutely perfect. close enough to 95 to make it relatively easy.

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 10/10/2017:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed a good value and our friendly staff. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club.

Challenging layout

I love the course layout. The fairways are in great shape but the greens were not. Too many rough spots that affected putting.

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 10/25/2017:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed a quick pace of play, nice course layout, and friendly staff. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club.

Course clearly having some issues

Went to Cannon ridge for the first time in a couple years, and it's a shame how bad the course is being cared for these days.

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 10/03/2017:
Hello, we're sorry our course conditions were not up to par. We appreciate your feedback. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club.

Wish Cannon Ridge got more plat

Love this course layout and scenery...played 4 times now was great first 3 times, but now looks like there may be financial issues. Although fairways and tee boxes are still great shape, greens are failing. Some areas of course in play needs to be mowed. Looks like running low on money.

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 10/03/2017:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed our nice course layout and scenery. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club!

Fairway great layout was outstanding green were in very poor condition staff never say a word!

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 09/25/2017:
Hello, we're sorry course conditions were not up to par. We're happy you enjoyed our great course layout and a quick pace of play. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club!

Great staff

It's a shame they are closing in December. The staff was doing a great job getting the course back in shape. I'll play as much as possible till then...

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 09/19/2017:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed our great course conditions and our friendly staff. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club, we look forward to seeing you again soon!

It's too bad

The fairways are good but the greens are suffering. Don't expect it to get better, as the course is closing in December.

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 09/08/2017:
Hi Bryce, we're sorry you didn't fully enjoy your round. Our goal at Cannon Ridge Golf Club is for every player to enjoy their experience. Thank you for playing, we hope you give us another shot in the future.

Greens was real bad

The fairways and tee boxes was in good shape.
The greens was in bad shape and the golf cart power was slow for a course with hills.

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 09/05/2017:
Hi Dwayne, we're happy you enjoyed a quick pace of play and our challenging course layout. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club!

Used to be real nice, it clouds be the weather but, when I played, the couse was in just below average condition In my opinion.
The fairway is good, better than average but the green was way below average as it has lots of burned or dead spots with crab grasses.
I played with hot deal so can't complain much but surely don't want to pay $40 or more to play.
Staffs are always nice there, so feels you are treated right.

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 08/31/2017:
Hello Sung, we're happy you enjoyed our nice staff and a quick pace of play. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club.

It will be missed

This course rivaled the gauntlet for overall ratings in my book. It once had great greens which are not very good anymore. Some rocks in bunkers. Fairways had a little brown but are plush and play great. If rumors are true it won't be open next year, and it seems to be with the money they're not putting into it for maintenance, i will miss it.

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 08/29/2017:
Hi Louis, we're sorry course conditions were not up to par. We're glad you enjoyed our friendly staff and a quick pace of play. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club.
Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 08/28/2017:
Hi James, we're glad you enjoyed a quick pace of play and our good course conditions. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club!

Cannon Ridge GC

Course was recommended to me while vacationing for a week at Lake Anna. I played Saturday and Monday., 19th and 21st, respectively. Both days were reserved at GolfNow, "hotdeals". We were able to tee-off early than our tee time as it was not crowded. Range facilities were included in the price. The course was in wonderful condition from tee-box, fairway to green. Rough was a lot thicker and dense then I am used to, so your opportunity is to keep the ball in the fairway. If not, a lot of balls may be lost. Fairways, literally had NO blemishes. The grass appeared to spongy and thicker. The balls did sit up nice. Being a good ball striker will go along way. As we played the "white tees", a lot of holes was hitting over thick trees and foliage to get to the fairway. If you drive 200 yards or better, you reached the fairways OK. Mishit or pull/slice meant a lost ball. No GPS on the carts. Length of play for us was still 4-4 1/2 hours. The staff for checking-in, concessions and carts, could not have been nicer. The problem with the course was noted to us on Saturday. Cannon Ridge is closing its doors, permanently, at the end of the year, December 2017. Even though the course renovated and re-opened in April 2016, and finally making a good profit the land appears to be more valuable to construction developers. What a shame. I was hoping to play it again when we vacation in Lake Anna, again

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 08/29/2017:
Hi Stephen, we're happy you enjoyed our wonderful course conditions and friendly staff. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club.

Sad

I used to play this course when they opened
Brought friends from out of town etc course was stunning. I realize they were closed for several years but this course has sadly declined terribly. My friends and I all of said we are not going back until fixes are made. Sorry. Love the track..but you gotta fix it yp

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 08/22/2017:
Hello James, we're sorry course conditions were not up to par. We appreciate your feedback and we are working on making improvements. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club.

Very nice and quiet course. Fairways are immaculate,greens cut too close, traps in much need of work. Very challenging course.

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 08/21/2017:
Hello James, we're happy you enjoyed our immaculate fairways and challenging layout. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club.

This course has great features

This course had excellent fairways and challenging holes. it is worth the money to play.

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 08/22/2017:
Hello Donald, we're happy you enjoyed our challenging holes and excellent fairways. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club.
Stafford, Virginia
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Locust Grove, Virginia
Locust Grove, Virginia
Stafford, Virginia
Rappahannock Academy, Virginia

Valid dates: May 23, 2019 - Jun 30, 2019
2 Nights lodging at the Best Western Plus of Santee (or comparable lodging partner) and play 3 Rounds of golf on Santee Cooper Resort’s two courses.
Stay and Play
Stay & Play in Golf’s Little Big Town!
Stay and Play
Summer Golf Getaway in Santee!
Stay and Play
Come play in the Olde English District!
Summer Special in Greenville, SC