ShadowGlen Golf Club

Year Built 2003
Fairways TifSport Bermuda Grass
Greens TifEagle Grass
Architect Roy Bechtol (2003) Randolph P. Russell (2003)

Dress code Appropriate golf attire

Great Value

This was my first time playing the course and it was a great experience. In fact, I booked a tee time for the following week. The greens had recently been aerated but I had received an email alerting me to this fact beforehand. Otherwise, the course was in really good shape, especially considering the hot and dry summer we've been having. The course presented a fair challenge. The pace of play was really great at the start but did start to slow down some near the end of the round, but I still finished in about 3.5 hours. I will definitely be going back for another round.

Commented on 09/09/2019

Great! Thank you so much for the great review. We're glad that you enjoyed your first time playing with us and we hope to see you again soon! Thanks for choosing ShadowGlen Golf Club.

Course was average

The course was in decent shape except that the greens had been punched very recently. The traps were not in great shape. Has a lot of potential.

Commented on 09/03/2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars, but we hope you'll give us another try in the near future.

Is it too Hard to ask for an Aeration Advisory???

Course was in fine shape except the greens were an absolute mess. Looked like they were punched that day and with deep-tine aeration and a full sand overlay. I don't know if it's the fault of GolfNow or of ShadowGlen for not posting any sort of advisory anywhere (there website had nothing and all contact with GolfNow was void of any warning).

I get that this is a necessary procedure. I have no problem with it. What I do have a problem with is absolutely zero notification. There is literally no chance I would have paid $27 to play this course today if I had known the green conditions. They are unplayable.

I'd be happy to take this post down if I can get some kind of communication from either GolfNow or ShadowGlen to rectify the situation. Super disappointing.

Commented on 09/03/2019

Thank you for your review! We apologize that you weren't informed of the aerification. We appreciate your review and will use it to help us improve moving forward. Thank you again and we hope you'll give us another try in the future!

Terrific Golf Joint

I’m picky when it comes to golf. I’d rather play a better track less often than a muny every day. I’m not much on the accoutrements of high end golf, though, with gigantic clubhouses & a cart attendant on every hole. It feels like I’m paying for services I’m not interested in nor use, and ordinarily those golf experiences turn into the worst.

At Shadowglen I get a great rate for a championship track that has the services I want, which are great holes and a great driving range. No mats, plenty of room to hit and flags to choose from. (I’m astounded by these courses who have a range and 1 or 2 flags stuck out there. How hard is it to put a cup & a pin in? I don’t need a swanky practice green out on the range, but why have a range with so few targets?)

Love the course & the staff. Eric, Tommy, Jacqueline, Oscar and Julian are exceptional personnel and I’m always pleased to see them. You can tell when people like their jobs. And it shows up in the overall experience.

Great value, great course, great people, great prices, great practice area....just great!

Full disclosure: I’m a member, and I love the place. Zero complaints, ready for some new range balls, though.

Commented on 09/09/2019

Fantastic! Thank you for your kind words! We look forward to seeing you again at the course very soon for another 5-star experience. Thanks for choosing to be a part of the ShadowGlen Family.

Terribly slow play because of overbooking

I've played this course for over 8 years and have never experienced what I have in the last few weeks.
It seems to me that Shadowglen got greedy and tried to pack as many groups as they could in the morning. The course had groups starting on both 1 and 10.

We teed off at 6:56 am from #10 and made the turn right around 9 am. As we got to the box, we noticed there were 9 people waiting. A group of 5 and another 4. We didn't tee off on 1 until 9:35!

It's a hot Texas summer and everyone is looking to play early. I get that. But this course has taken it a bit too far.
We constantly had to wait for the group ahead of us. There was no way to establish a rhythm of play and our round ended up running just over 5.5 hours--unbelievable. The marshall had no control of the traffic and was simply directing people to make the turn. When we asked about the high volume he simply replied: "its hot so people want to play early".
The whole point of getting our early is to avoid the heat and FINISH early.
I really hope the right people see this and implement changes soon.

Commented on 08/28/2019

We apologize for the pace of play issue you experienced. We always try to keep a a great pace when having our golfers on the course. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback as we will use your review to better the experience going forward. We hope you give us another try in the near future!

Commented on 10/15/2019

Wonderful! Thank you for your 5-star rating! Please book another round with us soon at ShadowGlen Golf Club!

Oasis Golf Experience

When I’m looking for a golf experience part of what attracts me is the peace & quiet of the course. Hey, mowers & maintenance guys are an exception, as they work their butts off at Shadowglen. But when you’re moving thru the round without a cluster of interruptions is really important. And I feel at times that I can feel a pin drop. There’s no carts from other holes in your way, no intrusions from people who don’t belong out there.

If you want to see a golf course that’s immaculately maintained with a very small crew, you’ll not get anywhere better than SG. Grant & his team work tirelessly to make it a great experience.

Love the staff, too. Eric is the head golf professional & I tease him every time I see him: “Isn’t it about time for a vacation?” You’ll see him watering grass before sunrise, getting the carts out, answering the phone and truly so busy that I don’t see how he has time to eat. The guy is a tireless worker and excellent front man, exactly what this course needs. And Tommy Lyons, who works in the shop as well is the most positive and optimistic golf professional I know. But Seltzo, Julian, Oscar and young Mr. Ben are always around for Member & guest services, and they’re a pleasure to spend time with. Truly love and respect them, and they don’t get nearly enough credit.

The course ought to be 10 Stars. It’s a fun layout with great holes, but it’s not for beginners. And if you’ve never played it, play the white tees first. It’s very hard from there, and the back tees are truly championship golf level challenges.

Full disclosure: I’m a member & play it 3-4x a week, so I’m a bit biased but I play all over the area, and there isn’t a better track. I’d love to see a Marshall program to help usher play on weekends. Eric simply cannot manage pace of play and wear all the other hats, so there’s gotta be some retirees who love golf & with training, help players keep moving. Slow play IS NOT a Shadowglen problem but a people problem. They don’t understand how they’re supposed to play at a pace even without anyone in front of them to keep up the pace FOR the entire day. Slow play begins from the 1st tee. Just because there’s nobody behind you doesn’t mean you get lunch at the turn. . (Sorry for the rant, it’s just that I care about the club so much I want everyone to play it!) If the 1st group tees off at 6:10 and aren’t making the turn by 8:10 then the group that tees off an hour later waits on every shot. It’s that simple. Not easy, but simple.

All that said 90% of time pace is great. Love it.

Commented on 08/15/2019

Fantastic! Thank you so much for your kind words. We're glad that Grant, Eric, Seltzo, Julian, Oscar, Tommy, and Ben have made your time with us positive. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a thoughtful and thorough review. We're honored that you are a part of our ShadowGlen family and we'll see you back soon!

Great challenging course, bunkers need work

Shadowglen is one of my favorite courses for two reasons; 1. It's a challenging course for my level of play
2. You can usually find a good deal on Golfnow

The course is in good condition.. fairways are ok, greens are in good condition, rolling well, not too fast, not too slow. However the bunkers are not in good shape. Very little sand and in some cases kind of muddy (surprising since it hasn't rained recently).

Overall it's a great course for the value. I'll be back.

Commented on 08/13/2019

Great! We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing ShadowGlen Golf Club.

HOT and NO WATER

The course layout is fun and challenging
The Staff was excellent
But there was No drinking water on the course. At the turn I mentioned not a single water cooler was out and as I finished still nothing on the back nine
BYOW

Commented on 08/08/2019

One of my favorite courses

This has become one of my favorite courses!

The fairways are in great shape. The greens are as well. The course is challenging, but fair. My only complaint is that the bunkers need to be reworked with some new sand.

I wish I lived closer so I could play it more often.

Commented on 08/05/2019

Awesome! Thank you so much for the great review. We are glad you had an incredible time, and we hope to see you again soon! Thanks for choosing ShadowGlen Golf Club.

RSJ

Golf Etiquette

I purposely made a mid-week tee time to avoid slow play, crowded conditions, etc. The day became a frustrating one because of a couple of players who act as if they are the only players.

One almost hit me with his ball on Number 7. Anyone who plays this course knows the second shot is a blind one. I was one the green putting when the ball bounced off the hill and missed be by a couple of feet. The guy came over the hill and said, “sorry about that.” As I just looked at him, he apologized again. He knew I was playing ahead of him.

The second situation occurred on the back side. I was crossing the road to play Number 14, when I noticed a guy on 15 retrieving balls in the ravine. When I finished playing 15, he was still retrieving balls, then jumped in his cart and went to 16, where he was standing by his cart. I stopped until he motioned to me. I just went to the next hole.

Over the times I have played this course, players play holes out of turn, and I have seen old guys just out on a green putting. They seem oblivious to other players and pace of play.

I like the course, but I have to drive from Lakeway, so it is frustrating to do so when others are so inconsiderate.

You need a Marshall, unfortunately, to monitor players who think the rules do not apply to them. I doubt I will return.

Commented on 08/13/2019

Thank you for taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass along your feedback to the staff so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting us!

Worst Golf Experience in 15 Years

As my review title states, this round of golf was horrible for many reasons. I play golf 2-3 times per week and since I'd never played this course I decided to drive 40 minutes with my wife to play.

We had a 7:30 tee time and after checking in, went to the putting green to wait for our tee time. At 7:28 we arrived at the first tee to find no starter but 3 guys teeing off at that moment. We waited about 5 minutes for them to tee off and then waited 15 more minutes behind them to finish the 1st hole.
During our whole round of waiting, there was never a marshal and to make matters worst, we were continually interrupted on approach shots on 3 of the first 5 holes by the grounds crew moving stuff on and off the greens??? It got so bad that a single golfer joined us on the 3rd hole but left on the 6th hole because of the slow group in front of us!!

It gets worst. As we moved to the back 9 the grounds crew began sanding the greens right in front of us on every hole!!! I have never experienced something so unprofessional from a golf management team in all my years of playing. They would literally race to the green and drop large mounds of sand and attempt to spread it before we hit our approach shots.

I will never set foot on this course again. I considered doing something I've never done on a course - ask for a full refund of my money. I then thought about it and decided that if the owners/managers didn't care enough to not sand green while golfers were playing, they probably don't give a hoot about customers like me so I didn't even waste my time.

I would strongly recommend against anyone booking this course and Golf Now should seriously reconsider caring this course on their booking list.

Commented on 08/13/2019

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We see you rated the course 1-star and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit. We take single star feedback very serious at our course. You are welcome to comment further or reach out to our team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing ShadowGlen Golf Club.

Commented on 07/26/2019

Awesome! Thank you for visiting us at ShadowGlen Golf Club. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Anonymous
Commented on 10/16/2019

Challenging course, great condition, friendly staff , great selection of tap beers

Commented on 07/11/2019

Wonderful! Thank you for your review. We will pass along your positive experience to our team at ShadowGlen Golf Club. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Confusing for first timers

My only complaint is that course layout (location of holes & hazards) was a complete mystery. No graphical depiction of any hole layout on the score card or tee box signage. This made play needlessly difficult, especially given the links design. Would recommend an update to both score cards and tee box signage to make this beautiful and challenging course more player friendly. Especially true for non- local, non- regular patrons.

Commented on 07/22/2019

We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass on your feedback to the teams in charge so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting ShadowGlen Golf Club. We hope to see you again in the future.

Don’t waste your money

This course was in awful shape. There’s essentially no fairway or rough, it’s all the same length. The tee boxes were some of the worst I’ve ever played on. The traps were top soil. The greens were the only decent thing about the course.

Commented on 07/09/2019

Thank you for taking the time to review the course. We take single star feedback very serious at our course. You are welcome to comment further or reach out to our team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing ShadowGlen Golf Club.

Love This Joint But Don’t Tell ANYONE

I’m a tough judge having played 21 of the Top 100 in the U.S.

This course is really a blast. It has a bunch of FUN holes. There’s really not a single non-descript hole out there but 7 of them are among my favorites in this city.

If you’re a beginner it’s not for you. It’s very hard in places and it attracts better players. Bring extra balls & don’t get upset when you lose one, just drop and keep moving. The pace of play is awesome, as we played in 3:50. But it just takes one clownshow guy to slow play and ruin it for everyone. They do.a great job of monitoring the course but they care about everyone, not just a single player.

Love the joint, wish I could play it everyday.

Commented on 07/22/2019

Outstanding! Thank you for your review. We will pass along your positive experience to our team at ShadowGlen Golf Club. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Commented on 07/21/2019

Wrote this review this morning about a recently played round. And then went to play it today with my son, and we played 3 holes in an hour. The Marshall has no idea how to marshal, the starter had 2 people teeing off playing outta 1 bag. I asked the shop about it and the said “what do you want me to do?” I guess don’t do anything, because if you don’t know I can’t help you. Very frustrating. After 3 holes we’re looking at a 6 hour round. The marshal is on the tee box and he said everything is moving fine. How Can that be fine? Why are you even near the 1st 6 holes? You can’t speed up play from the front, it has to be done from 18 going back. If there are gaps there those groups have to be pushed forward. If you can’t figure that out then you’ not a marshal.

Commented on 07/09/2019

Great! Thank you for visiting us at ShadowGlen Golf Club. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Pflugerville, Texas
Hutto, Texas
Round Rock, Texas

Valid dates: Mar 06, 2020 - May 06, 2020
Talamore’s Spring Signature Package (2 Nights / 3 Rounds), starting at $325 per person.