Wolfdancer Golf Club

Year Built 2006

Dress code Proper golf etiquette and attire are required

Bar, Grill

Clubhouse, Spa, Locker Rooms

Wolfdancer in 105 degrees...

Great course; VERY beautiful; the bar was closed though...overpriced, but really a beautiful course

Best place around

Always friendly staff, some times it’s slow but for the most part it’s not that busy in the afternoon. Love this place will always go back!!

Best Tough Course in Town

It’s gorgeous, But akin to that “fem fatale”, just when you think you’re in, heart break awaits. Fair for sure. Well kept. I don’t want to say too many great things, then I’ll NEVER get a tee time. It’s a must play. A bit pricey, but you won’t regret the treat to yourselves.

Pace of Play

First I would like to say this course looks great.It has just rained and the fairways were niceI and the greens were in pretty good shape. On the other hand, I know it is a resort style golf course, but the pace of play was not pleasant. The group in front of my group were not keeping up and there was no Marshall to help move them along. If you book a late afternoon tee time you will be there for a while.

Back open and poa problems are gone

Wolfdancer was one of the local Austin-area courses most affected by COVID-19. Because of its association with the Hyatt Regency Hotel, they closed thru June 1 while other area courses had a busy May. The closure however appears to have allowed them to clean up some of the poa outbreaks they've had around some greens. The conditions were about as good as I've seen it there, save for some neglected traps. Greens rolled really nicely and fairways were plush. You could take your own cart if you wanted and pace was good despite being pretty busy. Appreciated the bottles of water and the water jugs had cold water as well, which was surprising. Wolfdancer is always a great place to measure your game in the Austin area.

Accessible Golden Gem

Just a beautiful course and always a pleasure to play. Was in the best shape I have seen it and incredibly lush and pure fairways. Not overly crowded and just a beauty set in the hills. Highly recommend if you haven’t made the trip out from Austin.

Texas Advisor

Lone Wolf(dancer)

I've played Wolfdancer several times, most recently just a few days ago. The last time I was out there the greens were in pretty rough shape, but I am happy to report they are looking good now. The whole course was in top shape.

This course is a beast. Choose your tee box carefully or you'll struggle to reach a few of the par 4s in two (looking at you 16...).

As you'd expect for Hill Country golf, there are several elevation changes and lots of undulation. I think Wolfdancer uses that to enhance the experience better than most courses. The terrain is used as often to make a shot easier as it is to punish a bad shot... and sometimes both. For example on the dowhill tee shot of #3, any relatively straight drive has a chance to catch the hill and roll out quite a bit, but drift too far right and you fall off the cliff into trouble. On #9, you have to hit a right to left tee shot (which isn't easy for a lot of people) and the terrain helps shape your drive that way even if you miss a little right.

Still, this course is not easy off the tee or anywhere really. Shotmaking is at a premium because the trees get pretty cozy on several shots.

One of my favorite things about this course is that there is a lot of variety. You don't have to hit driver off every tee. Your approach shots will cover a large portion of your bag.

My only negative comment would be the pace of play has not been great most times I've played. This weekend my round was 4hr 45minutes! Several holes had 4 groups on them. The routing doesn't help here as you have multiple combos of par 3/short par 4/par 5 where people are waiting to reach the green (often optimistically).

It appears COVID has had some impact on the practice facilities as the short game area was overgrown, but in general, there are good practice areas. If you factor in the rest of the resort, you really can't lose. Few things are better than a sweaty afternoon of awesome Hill Country golf followed by a beer and a few hours in the lazy river.

Definitely recommend the whole Lost Pines experience if you can, but Wolfdancer alone is worth the drive.

Beautiful get away course

Challenging course hidden in beautiful hill country...greens were fast and tricky to read. I didn't notice a single home while on the course...I'm so used to seeing homes on courses that I was really impressed that we were playing "in the woods". This course demands that pay attention to course management. Had a great time playing it. I did not avail myself of any local ammenties due to covid crap.

Love Playing the Wolf

I understand the course has been down due to Covid-19,. But it is now back open with water coolers on course and sand on the carts. The halfway house is still down, So load up before you go out. The course is in excellent condition except the greens (which are good) are a little slow for my taste. Still some bunker work could be done but I am being picky here. Staff was friendly and pace for a Thursday afternoon was a four hr round. Thx Wolfdancer staff for an enjoyable day.

Interesting and somewhat challenging course a short drive from Austin

First time playing Wolfdancer golf club. Very professionally run and could only praise the efficiency of the staff whom were also very polite. Course was a lot of fun to play and certainly had its challenges. Course was in relatively good shape considering it was still early in the season.

Only negative which is not acceptable was the slow pace of golf. It took and 2 hours to plan the front side on a relatively quit day starting at 11:40 am but slowed to a SNAILS PACE on the backside taking 2 hours and 40 minutes. Mentioned the slow pace of play at the turn which was reported to the pro shop and nothing was done. Not having a Marshall to speed up play or have someone to step in for him is a major flaw and really disappointing.

Great layout.

Course was in pretty good shape for this time of year but there are definitely greens around the Austin area which are in plenty better shape for around the same price tag. Not one cart girl all day on the course which was surprising. Fairways are probably a 7 outta 10 right now with some uneven tee-boxes.

Commented on 03/05/2020

Thank you for visiting us at Wolfdancer Golf Club. We appreciate your 5-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Wolfdancer

Great course with very fast greens. Range balls provided, along with bottled water. The course also gave players a Wolfdancer bag tag which they engraved with my name for free. First class facility.
My only concern was the "course ambassador" allowed a 6some in front of my twosome which did slow play up a bit.

Commented on 02/19/2020

Thank you for the excellent review! We're glad you had a perfect day out on the course. We don't allow 6-somes out on the course and we hope you'll give us another shot soon.

Slow, Slow, Slow!!!

4 hours 58 minutes to complete 18 holes. It is simply absurd. The group in front of us had two holes (at least) open in front of them for the entire back nine. No marshal? Really?
Also - this is a resort course. There were at least three pin placements that were just ridiculous. What's the point of placing a pin 8 paces on at the bottom of a downgrain slope? You could read the ProV-1 on my playing partner's ball as it trickled along the edge on the cup only to roll out all the way past the flag and off the green. Silly.

Fun challenge

Good layout with a challenging course design. Some scenic holes on this championship style course. Greens were quick, even after it rained. Absolutely looking forward to playing again. Hole 3 cart direction signs mislead my group doe

Commented on 01/28/2020

Thanks for the excellent review! We're glad you enjoyed the challenge the course has to offer, and we look forward to your next round with us.

Idaho Advisor

Worth the ride out from Austin

I really like that Wolfdancer is a course that pretty much anyone can play and find the appropriate challenge for them. The "Resort" tees are only 5636 with even the quite healthy par 3 fourth a very manageable 153. The "Professional" tees are 7205 (75.7/141). I played the blue "Player" tees (6836/73.8/135). I thought they played a little easier than the rating/slope, which is not to say the course lacked challenge.

I found a good ball placement strategy let me get around the course fairly effectively (5.2 diff in the rain with rental clubs). The group ahead of me, playing more of a "grip it and rip it" strategy, struggled a bit more. There are teeth here, but I found them avoidable if you are willing to leave your ego in the bag... I only hit driver twice, and tee'd off with 3H or 5i most of the day allowing me to avoid the more protected landing areas.

I was a little (pleasantly) surprised by how often I seemed to have a good (flat) lie, despite the contours and rolling hills throughout the course..

It rained the last couple of days and the bunkers were saturated. There's nothing the course could do about that (they were well raked) but it did make my few sand adventures (one fairway, one greenside) a little more interesting than I'd like. While the conditions in the bunkers weren't amazing, I think the placement is quite good, defending the course when the golfer decides to be aggressive but not overly in-play for the conservative player.

The layout of the course was great, featuring some wide open holes with others a bit more tightened up by trees. Some of my golf architecture friends who have issues with trees in play will also have issues with Wolfdancer. A few holes have trees in the fairway and others have them close enough to have a direct effect on play. I've always liked trees in fairways, so this was fine (great, even) for me. The trees on 7 are *very* in play and you really have to pick your landing spot there to have a good approach.

My favorite hole was 11, a short par 4 with all-you-can-eat risk/reward. A creek runs down the left hand side of the dogleg left with the ravine running further and further away from you as it gets closer to the hole. Only 326 from the blues (267 from the white "Member" tees where most people were playing today) the hole is driveable (for some, not me), but you could also lose a lot of balls trying. I took a fairly conservative 3h (224) and was left with just 85 yards and an easy two putt par.

I missed a "mini-golf hole-in-one" by three inches when I pulled my tee shot on the par 3 twelfth left but it caught the bank of the hill, rolled right by the bunker, and almost into the hole. Not the way I'd advise playing it, but It did help me avoid the trouble on the right and post my only birdie of the day.

I thought the greens were good. I had trouble with speed but I think that was more because of the rental putter I was using which I never felt comfortable with over the ball. Even with that I only had one three putt on the day. I felt there was a bit more visually in the putts than was actually present once the ball was in motion. Don't be overly intimidated by these greens, they are quite playable.

If I could give Wolfdancer a 6 star rating for service I would. it started as I got out of my car and never really "let up." Free water bottles before teeing off (and at the turn) didn't hurt either. I only saw the cart gal once (which didn't bother me as I almost never get anything, but some folks might care). One of the things I really liked was that they placed an early emphasis on pace of play, reminding me of their expectations and letting me know I should let people waiting play through (and that others had been told the same in front of me). I got through in just over 3:20 and only waited on the twosome riding in front of me twice (I walked).

About that (walking), the course is quite walkable based on hills etc.; however, there are some rather long stretches between a few holes and walking could potentially cause a pace of play issue later in the day. I went off early and it was never a problem for me (I never saw the guys after me once I got going).

I absolutely recommend giving Wolfdancer a run if you get the chance... I thought it was more than worth the ~30 minutes commute.

Commented on 01/21/2020

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us your feedback and give us an in depth review. We're glad you recommend Wolfdancer Golf Club to golfers of all skill levels. We're also happy to learn you enjoyed the quality of our customer service. Be sure to book your next tee time with us soon!

Bastrop, Texas