View from no. 12 at Wolfdancer Golf Club

Wolfdancer Golf Club

Year Built 2006

Dress code Proper golf etiquette and attire are required

Interesting and somewhat challenging course a short drive from Austin

First time playing Wolfdancer golf club. Very professionally run and could only praise the efficiency of the staff whom were also very polite. Course was a lot of fun to play and certainly had its challenges. Course was in relatively good shape considering it was still early in the season.

Only negative which is not acceptable was the slow pace of golf. It took and 2 hours to plan the front side on a relatively quit day starting at 11:40 am but slowed to a SNAILS PACE on the backside taking 2 hours and 40 minutes. Mentioned the slow pace of play at the turn which was reported to the pro shop and nothing was done. Not having a Marshall to speed up play or have someone to step in for him is a major flaw and really disappointing.

Great layout.

Course was in pretty good shape for this time of year but there are definitely greens around the Austin area which are in plenty better shape for around the same price tag. Not one cart girl all day on the course which was surprising. Fairways are probably a 7 outta 10 right now with some uneven tee-boxes.

Commented on 03/05/2020

Thank you for visiting us at Wolfdancer Golf Club. We appreciate your 5-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Wolfdancer

Great course with very fast greens. Range balls provided, along with bottled water. The course also gave players a Wolfdancer bag tag which they engraved with my name for free. First class facility.
My only concern was the "course ambassador" allowed a 6some in front of my twosome which did slow play up a bit.

Commented on 02/19/2020

Thank you for the excellent review! We're glad you had a perfect day out on the course. We don't allow 6-somes out on the course and we hope you'll give us another shot soon.

Slow, Slow, Slow!!!

4 hours 58 minutes to complete 18 holes. It is simply absurd. The group in front of us had two holes (at least) open in front of them for the entire back nine. No marshal? Really?
Also - this is a resort course. There were at least three pin placements that were just ridiculous. What's the point of placing a pin 8 paces on at the bottom of a downgrain slope? You could read the ProV-1 on my playing partner's ball as it trickled along the edge on the cup only to roll out all the way past the flag and off the green. Silly.

Fun challenge

Good layout with a challenging course design. Some scenic holes on this championship style course. Greens were quick, even after it rained. Absolutely looking forward to playing again. Hole 3 cart direction signs mislead my group doe

Commented on 01/28/2020

Thanks for the excellent review! We're glad you enjoyed the challenge the course has to offer, and we look forward to your next round with us.

Idaho Advisor

Worth the ride out from Austin

I really like that Wolfdancer is a course that pretty much anyone can play and find the appropriate challenge for them. The "Resort" tees are only 5636 with even the quite healthy par 3 fourth a very manageable 153. The "Professional" tees are 7205 (75.7/141). I played the blue "Player" tees (6836/73.8/135). I thought they played a little easier than the rating/slope, which is not to say the course lacked challenge.

I found a good ball placement strategy let me get around the course fairly effectively (5.2 diff in the rain with rental clubs). The group ahead of me, playing more of a "grip it and rip it" strategy, struggled a bit more. There are teeth here, but I found them avoidable if you are willing to leave your ego in the bag... I only hit driver twice, and tee'd off with 3H or 5i most of the day allowing me to avoid the more protected landing areas.

I was a little (pleasantly) surprised by how often I seemed to have a good (flat) lie, despite the contours and rolling hills throughout the course..

It rained the last couple of days and the bunkers were saturated. There's nothing the course could do about that (they were well raked) but it did make my few sand adventures (one fairway, one greenside) a little more interesting than I'd like. While the conditions in the bunkers weren't amazing, I think the placement is quite good, defending the course when the golfer decides to be aggressive but not overly in-play for the conservative player.

The layout of the course was great, featuring some wide open holes with others a bit more tightened up by trees. Some of my golf architecture friends who have issues with trees in play will also have issues with Wolfdancer. A few holes have trees in the fairway and others have them close enough to have a direct effect on play. I've always liked trees in fairways, so this was fine (great, even) for me. The trees on 7 are *very* in play and you really have to pick your landing spot there to have a good approach.

My favorite hole was 11, a short par 4 with all-you-can-eat risk/reward. A creek runs down the left hand side of the dogleg left with the ravine running further and further away from you as it gets closer to the hole. Only 326 from the blues (267 from the white "Member" tees where most people were playing today) the hole is driveable (for some, not me), but you could also lose a lot of balls trying. I took a fairly conservative 3h (224) and was left with just 85 yards and an easy two putt par.

I missed a "mini-golf hole-in-one" by three inches when I pulled my tee shot on the par 3 twelfth left but it caught the bank of the hill, rolled right by the bunker, and almost into the hole. Not the way I'd advise playing it, but It did help me avoid the trouble on the right and post my only birdie of the day.

I thought the greens were good. I had trouble with speed but I think that was more because of the rental putter I was using which I never felt comfortable with over the ball. Even with that I only had one three putt on the day. I felt there was a bit more visually in the putts than was actually present once the ball was in motion. Don't be overly intimidated by these greens, they are quite playable.

If I could give Wolfdancer a 6 star rating for service I would. it started as I got out of my car and never really "let up." Free water bottles before teeing off (and at the turn) didn't hurt either. I only saw the cart gal once (which didn't bother me as I almost never get anything, but some folks might care). One of the things I really liked was that they placed an early emphasis on pace of play, reminding me of their expectations and letting me know I should let people waiting play through (and that others had been told the same in front of me). I got through in just over 3:20 and only waited on the twosome riding in front of me twice (I walked).

About that (walking), the course is quite walkable based on hills etc.; however, there are some rather long stretches between a few holes and walking could potentially cause a pace of play issue later in the day. I went off early and it was never a problem for me (I never saw the guys after me once I got going).

I absolutely recommend giving Wolfdancer a run if you get the chance... I thought it was more than worth the ~30 minutes commute.

Commented on 01/21/2020

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us your feedback and give us an in depth review. We're glad you recommend Wolfdancer Golf Club to golfers of all skill levels. We're also happy to learn you enjoyed the quality of our customer service. Be sure to book your next tee time with us soon!

Commented on 01/21/2020

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Wolfdancer Golf Club!

Great challenging course

Got a great rate from Golfnow and played the course
today. It was in great shape for January and want to play it more often through golfnow. Greens are fast and true.

Commented on 01/21/2020

We're glad you found value in Wolfdancer Golf Club! Be sure to book your next tee time with us soon.

Commented on 02/25/2020

Thank you for the excellent rating! Be sure to book your next round with us soon!

Nice day track for out of towners

Needed a place for a foursome that checks all of the boxes. Really interesting layout....course has Ravine style Holes on the front and prairie golf on the back . Resort level maintenance and green speeds. Very good value and an interesting track. Arthur Hills is a solid designer’ and he did a great job.

Commented on 02/19/2020

We're glad you enjoyed the course layout! Be sure to book your next round with us soon.

Great Course just wrong day

The course was in amazing shape. Unfortunately there was a Golf Am Tournament and we had 6 groups backed up on one Par 3 due to the pin placement. There was a rule implemented that sped the pace of play back up but we were playing catch up for the remainder of the round. Would highly recommend this course and the staff was awesome during the delay. Any other day this would have been a impeccable round.

Commented on 12/17/2019

Thank you for the wonderful 5-star review! We're glad you enjoyed your time at the golf course despite the initial delay. We hope to have you back here again soon.

Perfect and challenging for all

Beautiful course one of my favorites. Crazy hole #6 par 3 (153 yrds) amazing contours and no way you can keep the ball on the left side

Commented on 12/09/2019

Thank you for the 5-star review! We're happy to learn Wolfdancer Golf Club is one of your favorite golf experiences. Be sure to book your next round with us soon!

Such a fantastic layout. Two different conditions (rolling hills and river valley) on one great course. Greens are smooth and true

Commented on 12/17/2019

We're glad you enjoyed the course layout as well as the greens! Be sure to book another tee time soon.

Tees we’re getting maintenance- but Fairways and greens were very good. Leaves were falling faster than the ground crew could blow them off - so easy to lose it in fairway or rough. A few funky holes, but seems like a nice resort.

Commented on 12/17/2019

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us your feedback. We hope you'll give us another shot soon.

Texas Advisor

Tricky but beautiful views in Bastrop

Wolfdancer presents an excellent challenge to golfers of all abilities. The course is part of the Hyatt Lost pines resort and there is a nice winding drive from the entrance of the resort to the club house.

I've played here over 12 times with a competitive group that gets a special rate, which makes playing extremely good value. The course maintenance, honestly, has been up and down over the last few years, however just recently it seems like it has taken a turn for the better. The greens have been in magnificent shape recently.

The course is contrasting. The front nine is relatively wide and open off the tee with a few scorable par 5s, depending on the wind. The back 9 closes in on you with some tight fairways that require accuracy off the tee. The greens have been slick and fast recently, and do require some fore-knowledge. Across both 9s there are slopes and tricks off the tee that require local knowledge as well. The par 5 5th doesn't necesarily require a driver off the tee and you'd have to hit a perfect 2nd to reach the green in 2. Three shot hole.

The course isn't without it's problems the par 3 6th green needs complete re-doing - if the pin is in a bad place you can have an uphill 3 foot putt, that if you miss will end up back at your feet or further. Same with the 2nd hole.

All in all though a fantastic course that you have to think your way around.

Excellent proshop
Excellent driving range
Putting greens are very sloped - which when one things about it is appropriate to the course.
Make sure you get parking validation at the proshop.
Not walkable

Commented on 12/17/2019

Thank you for the excellent review! We're glad you enjoyed the challenge Wolfdancer Golf Club offers to all skill levels. Be sure to book another tee time soon!

Dancer Shines

The Wolfdancer shined on this Sunday round. My 2nd time playing the course and it was immaculate. Greens were fast and rolled true to form. Fairways have been over seeded and are coming in nice. A few tee boxes have been played a lot and are heavily sanded but really nitpicking here amongst the nicest courses. The layout, amenities and everything are top notch. Get a parking voucher from the clubhouse so you don’t have to pay for the parking. Just go play and enjoy, so nice to see the Dancer back from what the greens were last year.

Commented on 12/17/2019

We're glad you came back to Wolfdancer Golf Club for a second round! We hope to see you out here more often in 2020.

Commented on 12/17/2019

Thank you for your 5-star rating! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Wolfdancer Golf Club!

I had a great time at Wolfdancer and the staff was nothing but friendly. From the time I pulled in till the time I left they were very accommodating and friendly. The course was in great shape. I think they were overseeding the tee boxes so they had them cut down really low which had pretty much killed the summer grass I am thinking so they could get the winter grass to take but that was only a visual thing as the tee boxes were in great shape and the greens looked and putted very well.

WD Oct 19

Very nice course and facilities. The staff was extremely friendly. I played the mid tees and the course still played long with a couple par fives at 585 &575 yds.
Fairways are wide enough to be forgiving for drives slightly off target.

Bastrop, Texas
Bastrop, Texas
Manor, Texas

Valid dates: Apr 04, 2020 - Sep 30, 2020
Here at Coachman's Golf Resort we pride ourselves on the high quality of magnificent golf, superb amenities and outstanding service that we offer our valued customers.