Wolfdancer Golf Club

Year Built 2006

Dress code Proper golf etiquette and attire are required

Bar, Grill

Clubhouse, Spa, Locker Rooms

Beautiful get away course

Challenging course hidden in beautiful hill country...greens were fast and tricky to read. I didn't notice a single home while on the course...I'm so used to seeing homes on courses that I was really impressed that we were playing "in the woods". This course demands that pay attention to course management. Had a great time playing it. I did not avail myself of any local ammenties due to covid crap.

Love Playing the Wolf

I understand the course has been down due to Covid-19,. But it is now back open with water coolers on course and sand on the carts. The halfway house is still down, So load up before you go out. The course is in excellent condition except the greens (which are good) are a little slow for my taste. Still some bunker work could be done but I am being picky here. Staff was friendly and pace for a Thursday afternoon was a four hr round. Thx Wolfdancer staff for an enjoyable day.

Interesting and somewhat challenging course a short drive from Austin

First time playing Wolfdancer golf club. Very professionally run and could only praise the efficiency of the staff whom were also very polite. Course was a lot of fun to play and certainly had its challenges. Course was in relatively good shape considering it was still early in the season.

Only negative which is not acceptable was the slow pace of golf. It took and 2 hours to plan the front side on a relatively quit day starting at 11:40 am but slowed to a SNAILS PACE on the backside taking 2 hours and 40 minutes. Mentioned the slow pace of play at the turn which was reported to the pro shop and nothing was done. Not having a Marshall to speed up play or have someone to step in for him is a major flaw and really disappointing.

Great layout.

Course was in pretty good shape for this time of year but there are definitely greens around the Austin area which are in plenty better shape for around the same price tag. Not one cart girl all day on the course which was surprising. Fairways are probably a 7 outta 10 right now with some uneven tee-boxes.

Commented on 03/05/2020

Thank you for visiting us at Wolfdancer Golf Club. We appreciate your 5-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Wolfdancer

Great course with very fast greens. Range balls provided, along with bottled water. The course also gave players a Wolfdancer bag tag which they engraved with my name for free. First class facility.
My only concern was the "course ambassador" allowed a 6some in front of my twosome which did slow play up a bit.

Commented on 02/19/2020

Thank you for the excellent review! We're glad you had a perfect day out on the course. We don't allow 6-somes out on the course and we hope you'll give us another shot soon.

Slow, Slow, Slow!!!

4 hours 58 minutes to complete 18 holes. It is simply absurd. The group in front of us had two holes (at least) open in front of them for the entire back nine. No marshal? Really?
Also - this is a resort course. There were at least three pin placements that were just ridiculous. What's the point of placing a pin 8 paces on at the bottom of a downgrain slope? You could read the ProV-1 on my playing partner's ball as it trickled along the edge on the cup only to roll out all the way past the flag and off the green. Silly.

Fun challenge

Good layout with a challenging course design. Some scenic holes on this championship style course. Greens were quick, even after it rained. Absolutely looking forward to playing again. Hole 3 cart direction signs mislead my group doe

Commented on 01/28/2020

Thanks for the excellent review! We're glad you enjoyed the challenge the course has to offer, and we look forward to your next round with us.

Idaho Advisor

Worth the ride out from Austin

I really like that Wolfdancer is a course that pretty much anyone can play and find the appropriate challenge for them. The "Resort" tees are only 5636 with even the quite healthy par 3 fourth a very manageable 153. The "Professional" tees are 7205 (75.7/141). I played the blue "Player" tees (6836/73.8/135). I thought they played a little easier than the rating/slope, which is not to say the course lacked challenge.

I found a good ball placement strategy let me get around the course fairly effectively (5.2 diff in the rain with rental clubs). The group ahead of me, playing more of a "grip it and rip it" strategy, struggled a bit more. There are teeth here, but I found them avoidable if you are willing to leave your ego in the bag... I only hit driver twice, and tee'd off with 3H or 5i most of the day allowing me to avoid the more protected landing areas.

I was a little (pleasantly) surprised by how often I seemed to have a good (flat) lie, despite the contours and rolling hills throughout the course..

It rained the last couple of days and the bunkers were saturated. There's nothing the course could do about that (they were well raked) but it did make my few sand adventures (one fairway, one greenside) a little more interesting than I'd like. While the conditions in the bunkers weren't amazing, I think the placement is quite good, defending the course when the golfer decides to be aggressive but not overly in-play for the conservative player.

The layout of the course was great, featuring some wide open holes with others a bit more tightened up by trees. Some of my golf architecture friends who have issues with trees in play will also have issues with Wolfdancer. A few holes have trees in the fairway and others have them close enough to have a direct effect on play. I've always liked trees in fairways, so this was fine (great, even) for me. The trees on 7 are *very* in play and you really have to pick your landing spot there to have a good approach.

My favorite hole was 11, a short par 4 with all-you-can-eat risk/reward. A creek runs down the left hand side of the dogleg left with the ravine running further and further away from you as it gets closer to the hole. Only 326 from the blues (267 from the white "Member" tees where most people were playing today) the hole is driveable (for some, not me), but you could also lose a lot of balls trying. I took a fairly conservative 3h (224) and was left with just 85 yards and an easy two putt par.

I missed a "mini-golf hole-in-one" by three inches when I pulled my tee shot on the par 3 twelfth left but it caught the bank of the hill, rolled right by the bunker, and almost into the hole. Not the way I'd advise playing it, but It did help me avoid the trouble on the right and post my only birdie of the day.

I thought the greens were good. I had trouble with speed but I think that was more because of the rental putter I was using which I never felt comfortable with over the ball. Even with that I only had one three putt on the day. I felt there was a bit more visually in the putts than was actually present once the ball was in motion. Don't be overly intimidated by these greens, they are quite playable.

If I could give Wolfdancer a 6 star rating for service I would. it started as I got out of my car and never really "let up." Free water bottles before teeing off (and at the turn) didn't hurt either. I only saw the cart gal once (which didn't bother me as I almost never get anything, but some folks might care). One of the things I really liked was that they placed an early emphasis on pace of play, reminding me of their expectations and letting me know I should let people waiting play through (and that others had been told the same in front of me). I got through in just over 3:20 and only waited on the twosome riding in front of me twice (I walked).

About that (walking), the course is quite walkable based on hills etc.; however, there are some rather long stretches between a few holes and walking could potentially cause a pace of play issue later in the day. I went off early and it was never a problem for me (I never saw the guys after me once I got going).

I absolutely recommend giving Wolfdancer a run if you get the chance... I thought it was more than worth the ~30 minutes commute.

Commented on 01/21/2020

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us your feedback and give us an in depth review. We're glad you recommend Wolfdancer Golf Club to golfers of all skill levels. We're also happy to learn you enjoyed the quality of our customer service. Be sure to book your next tee time with us soon!

Commented on 01/21/2020

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Wolfdancer Golf Club!

Great challenging course

Got a great rate from Golfnow and played the course
today. It was in great shape for January and want to play it more often through golfnow. Greens are fast and true.

Commented on 01/21/2020

We're glad you found value in Wolfdancer Golf Club! Be sure to book your next tee time with us soon.

Amazing Hill Country Golf

If you want some amazing views, and a course without houses lined down every fairway, this is the course. The fairways and greens were perfect, but I think they were reseeding the tees because they were not great and all brown. Lots of blind shots which makes it difficult for a first time guest, but the GPS carts helped, and playing with a member. Overall a challenge for any golfer and the seclusion and conditions were amazing.

My one complaint would be the absence of a Marshall or anyone maintaining pace of play. We were a twosome stuck behind two foursomes that must have come straight from the frat-house. Young guys who were shotgunning beers greenside, and literally swinging and missing multiple times in a row. For the money you pay to play here, I would have expected someone making sure this doesn’t happen.

Always Pleased

This course is all about ball placement in the fairway. Its tough but beautiful all around course.

Well Maintained, Very Challenging Course

Wolfdancer is a well maintained course in the hills of Bastrop county at the Lost Pines Resort. The greens were exceptionally fast, felt like US Open conditions. This is NOT a beginner or high handicap course. I skipped the 2nd hole because of 2 hackers that lacked the golf etiquette of knowing when to let someone “play through”. Fortunately the course was not crowded on a Monday afternoon, and when I finished hole 18, the starter not only agreed to let me go play the 2nd hole, but let me to play the first hole again as well. Very friendly staff. Course is tough with rolling hills, deep rough and fast greens. If you like a challenge, play Wolfdancer.

Tough, but a great course

It's a pretty difficult course, some tight fairways and big breaks on the greens. It's beautiful and in excellent condition.

Commented on 02/25/2020

Thank you for the excellent rating! Be sure to book your next round with us soon!

Nice day track for out of towners

Needed a place for a foursome that checks all of the boxes. Really interesting layout....course has Ravine style Holes on the front and prairie golf on the back . Resort level maintenance and green speeds. Very good value and an interesting track. Arthur Hills is a solid designer’ and he did a great job.

Commented on 02/19/2020

We're glad you enjoyed the course layout! Be sure to book your next round with us soon.

Great Course just wrong day

The course was in amazing shape. Unfortunately there was a Golf Am Tournament and we had 6 groups backed up on one Par 3 due to the pin placement. There was a rule implemented that sped the pace of play back up but we were playing catch up for the remainder of the round. Would highly recommend this course and the staff was awesome during the delay. Any other day this would have been a impeccable round.

Commented on 12/17/2019

Thank you for the wonderful 5-star review! We're glad you enjoyed your time at the golf course despite the initial delay. We hope to have you back here again soon.

Bastrop, Texas
Bastrop, Texas
Manor, Texas

Valid dates: Aug 01, 2019 - Dec 31, 2020
Getaway and play the most golf possible at the lowest price around. Play unlimited Scottsdale, AZ golf from $79 per golfer/night (including golf & lodging!).