Wolfdancer Golf Club

Year Built 2006

Dress code Proper golf etiquette and attire are required

Solid Resort Course

One of my favorite local courses. Can get a little slow due to the resort style of play but the lay-out is great and it has some incredible views of the Texas countryside. Course was in good shape overall and the greens were average.

If you can find a deal online then this is well worth the time to visit.

Commented on 06/23/2016

bpgeorge25,

Thank you for the wonderful 4-Star review! We are glad you found value in the course, and enjoyed the beautiful scenery. Come play again soon!

Featured

Little if any evidence of area spring floods

I've been able to play and review Wolfdancer quite a few times now. IT's tough for a resort course, but it's certainly a design that opens up a little bit the more you're familiar with it (and it helps when it's not windy, either). The layout, along the Colorado River near Bastrop, has weathered the central Texas spring floods quite well with just a few blemishes here and there but nothing that detracts from the experience. Their recently installed "Billy Bunkers" are holding up quite well. When playing the 18th, I was blown away with how high the Colorado River has risen, though it's still plenty far from the course itself.

Weather update aside, Wolfdancer made our Top 50 courses in 2015, and this is probably the best course in the Austin area you can play that doesn't require a resort stay. It's certainly a different setting compared to the showy homes and rock outcroppings of Barton Creek. While there are a couple holes I don't love, I think it has the best setting of any Texas course I've played (perhaps the only exception being Black Jack's Crossing way out in Big Bend). Great staff and resort amenities are top notch too. When playing on a 100-degree day, it's tough not to see the lazy river by the 14th & 15th holes and wonder what the heck you're doing on the golf course. But staff was driving around with cold towels and the drink cart was always nearby, so it was a very pleasant day all around.

Commented on 06/16/2016

BrandonTuckerGA,

Thank you for the wonderful 5-Star review! We appreciate your loyalty to the course. We agree, the setting is awesome! Come back again soon for another great summer day at the course!

Great Resort Course

Really enjoyed my round here. Teed off @ 8:30 and done by 11:30. Nice variety of holes. Great vistas all around.

Commented on 06/13/2016

smmscp

Thank you for the fantastic 5-Star review! We are happy to hear you enjoyed the scenery and had a good pace of play. Come play again soon!

Can't Go Wrong

Have not played here in over a year and as always did not disappoint. Got up early and found a great deal on GolfNow and played for over half off the regular rate. Got to the course early, especially since I drove over from Houston and checked in. Was going to go to the range but they let me tee off an hour earlier. Course is in great shape even with the greens recently having work done. They rolled a little slower then the other times I played. Only had a single in front of me and I took my time and actually played two balls the whole round. Great lay out and requires you to keep the ball in the fairway, rough is up right now. Great scenery and weather wise good not have asked for a better day in June. If you have not played Wolfdancer I highly recommend it.

Commented on 06/10/2016

txbrewer,

Thank you for the great 4-Star review! We are happy to see you out on the course again!
We appreciate you recognizing out great course conditions, too. Come play again soon with friends & family!

Poor weather

First Time Playing in Poor Weather

I love this course in general. It's always one of my favorites in the Austin area. This was the first time I've played the course in the rain. It was a pretty heavy downpour. Regardless of the rain--and the amount of rain we've received recently--I was impressed with how quickly the course drained.

The staff is always friendly and attentive. Highly recommended.

Commented on 06/07/2016

u000001269255,

Thank you for the excellent 5-Star review! We are glad you had a good round despite the rain. Our drainage does well. Come play again soon under clear skies!

Overrated

I've played better courses for half of the $140 fee at Wolfdancer. Perfect shots get punished by a frustrating layout, like trees overhanging into the middle of the fairway. Grass was pretty high on the tee boxes and fairways. Native grasses are everywhere, swallowing golf balls. Greens rolled well, I'll give them that. Go to Lions or Falconhead for a less expensive, more enjoyable round.

Commented on 06/03/2016

Dear Michael1262461,

We apologize that the course's difficulty proved troublesome for you. We would love to know, what tees did you decide to play? At Wolfdancer, five different sets of tees allows all golfers to enjoy the layout, normally without frustration. We hope the next time you play your experience is better. Give Wolfdancer another chance, we are confident you will come to enjoy the challenging layout.

Good Course, Bad Pace of Play

A good challenging course but the marshal and pro shop did not manage the pace of play properly even with cart path only in effect. The marshal told us a few holes in that several groups were moving slowly and he asked them to quicken the pace but by the turn we had two groups teeing off and waited 15 minutes as we did on the front prior to tee off. We spoke to the pro shop and they said they would look into it but nothing changed and the marshal(s) could and should have asked groups to play through and again speed up play. We had a great experience while we golfed elsewhere in Austin and will not return when the course can't manage the basics.

Commented on 05/26/2016

Dear u000002158879,

We appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. We also apologize you did not have a good experience this time around. Please, email us directly to WolfdancerGolfClub@gmail.com so that we can discuss this further and sort something out for you.

Wolfdancer Golf Management

The course was in very good condition from tee to green. Challenging course requiring you to work the ball both ways to optimize approaches into firm greens that were receptive to well played shots.

Commented on 05/12/2016

djhansen,

Thank you for the excellent 5-Star review! We are glad you noticed how great the greens are looking. Play again soon!

Wolfdancer Golf Management

The only reason I didn't give it five stars across the board was because it took 6 hours to play the full 18 holes, But other then that I really enjoyed the course. I also played with one of the members and he said it was the slowest he's ever played a round out there so it was probably just one of those weekends when everyone wanted to play.

Commented on 05/11/2016

Cory9909513,
Thank you for your feedback here. Please, email us back at WolfdancerGolfClub@gmail.com so that we can further discuss this and sort something out for you!

Fabulous Layout

Great selection of holes. Course in good condition for March. Staff was great. However, we saw rangers aplenty on the front nine when we didn't need them and no ranger on the back when we got stuck behind a fivesome that would not let our twosome played thru. Not sure what was going on there but overall experience was great.

Commented on 04/04/2016

Jon,

Thanks for the feedback along with the 5-star review. We will look into the ranger issue. Hope to see you again soon!

good variety of holes

excellant course with ample fairways. If you are not in correct area of fairway however, you have a much longer approach shot. Green complexes are very challenging. Good greens, but lots of undulations if you're not in proper area.

Commented on 03/28/2016

Pete,

Thanks for the great words and awesome 5-star review. We look forward to your return in the near future! Hopefully birdies come your way!

Very challenging course.

Will definitely play this course again. Great layout with the last few holes more of a links style. Putting is key to the round. Greens have some severe undulations. Really tough to get the break right along with the speed.

Commented on 03/28/2016

GoGolf719,

Thank you for the review. We are so glad you will be coming back. Hope next time we can provide you with a 5-star experience. See you soon!

Great golf experience!

The staff was very friendly and appreciative of our business. Challenging but fair course and very enjoyable to play. My son in law and I had a great experience. The 19th hole was one of our favorites!

Commented on 03/17/2016

Bruce,

What a fantastic 5-star review. We are so glad that you had a good time and we look forward to your return!

Wolfdancer Management

Resort Course with a Great Texas layout!

Wolfdancer is a club about 30min outside of Dowtown Austin. Definitely worth the drive out. I would guess because of the distance away from town it was not crowded at all the day I went to play and the pace of play was excellent (even though I was a onesome). I would recommend booking on Golfnow rather then contacting the Hyatt for a teetime. It was $30 cheaper.

The front nine is very hilly and VERY difficult (especially in a central TX 20mph wind). the back is down in a valley and is substantially easier. That would be my only complaint about this course, the disparity in levels of difficulty of the nine holes. The was a very downhill par five on the front (4 I believe) that I think may be one of the four or five hardest par 5's I have ever played (especially into the wind).

Condition of the course was very good. Greens were a little slow, but it is just getting warm and I suspect that will change by the end of the month.

I paired this round, during my trip, with a round at Avery Ranch. Very good combo. This track is much more challenging, Avery is more fun. Both worth a trip back!

Commented on 03/11/2016

Leelewis17,

We want to thank you for leaving such a thought out and detailed review. We are so glad you enjoyed your time at Wolfdancer. Like you said, as this warmer weather approaches, the greens will pick up a bit. We like the current condition of the course and we look forward to improvements when the growing season hits full force. Thanks again for the review and see you soon!?

Great course!

Played twilight rates for a great price. Course was in great shape. Very challenging. Staff was on point and friendly. I will be back.

Commented on 03/08/2016

Forkandknife8,

Fantastic! We are glad to see you utilized our different rates to find the perfect tee time for you! Come back again soon. Summer is approaching - you excited? We are! Thanks again!

Good resort course

We played this when the conditions were dorman (winter golf). Greens were slow and grainy, but again, it was cold and had rained days prior. Overall a fun course and I look forward to playing it in the prime season.

Commented on 03/08/2016

Jason,

Thank you for the great comment. We look forward to the grass turning green soon. We hope you can come back again and have another enjoyable day!

Best Greens in Central Texas

The greenskeeper at this course should be proud because these are literally the best greens in central Texas. A really solid experience overall - nice short game area, range, clubhouse, outstanding customer service - and incredible conditioning on this golf course. Great job Wolfdancer team - I'll be coming back out soon !!

Challenging and demanding course

My friend and I played with unusually warm weather The greens were fast but played fairly. This course demands good management of position and there are some blind shots. Have some balls as wayward shots can result in lost balls. Some undulating greens can cost strokes easily if played downhill. Very good time, pace of play excellent finished in little over 3.5 hrs. Staff friendly and helpful with bags, cleaned clubs before and after, good directions to range, 1st tee. GPS top of the line.

This is a great course. The front 9 is very challenging and the back 9 is beautiful. The greens in the winter are very fast and with the contours become extremely challenging. A great place to play. Staff is always great.

Poor weather

Soggy does not do justice.

It rained and the course did't close. Instead it went cart path only and it made for a very wet and long round. Our feet were soaked by the third hole. The course looks like it would be fun during dry conditions. The friendly staff helped make up for the conditions.some nice hill country scenery.

Valid dates: Nov 15, 2019 - May 31, 2020
Conveniently located 20 minutes from the airport, the new We-Ko-Pa Resort & Conference Center features 246 contemporary guestrooms and suites designed with Native American traditions, bold Southwestern cuisine at Ahnala Restaurant, luxurious spa treatments and salon services at the Amethyst Spa and a spacious heated outdoor pool with two whirlpools.
From $1900