Star Ranch Golf Club
Champ 71 6341 yards 70.1 117
Preferred 71 5678 yards 67.4 110
Forward (W) 71 4990 yards 68.5 111
Scorecard for The Golf Club At Star Ranch
Tour M: 73.4/130 398 455 451 177 582 357 189 474 386 3469 453 446 196 532 376 170 427 441 507 3548 7017
Championship M: 70.1/120 366 417 409 154 545 292 163 412 366 3124 422 391 168 503 323 123 394 416 477 3217 6341
Preferred M: 67.2/118 W: 73.3/126 339 373 369 128 514 242 141 374 327 2807 376 347 141 458 290 93 352 380 434 2871 5678
Forward M: 64.7/112 W: 68.7/116 307 334 338 106 477 192 102 324 295 2475 346 298 118 408 276 78 274 332 385 2515 4990

Year Built 2001
Architect Carter Morrish (2001) Jay Morrish (2001) Roy Bechtol (2001) Randolph P. Russell (2001)

Entertaining Clients 17

Tee time complaint

I booked my tee time for 10:32am and showed the staff my email confirmation time/number. They had no tee time for me at that time and told me they could get me in at 10:45am. Completely ruined my experience and my guests. Completely unprofessional by golfnow and their booking. How can you offer tee times that don’t coordinate with the golf course?!?!?! I want a complete refund. Absolutely the worst experience I’ve ever had golfing.

Hidden Gem

One of the best tracks in the ATX area. Great layout, great condition and great value! Tee to green is as good as any course in Austin and although the greens are in great shape, would love to see them roll a little faster.

Not Impressed

Not very friendly at check in. Kept telling me that I could not have signed up as a single player? Slight drizzle but club house had no rain gear for sale, no jackets, no umbrellas. Cart was soaking wet so I went to the men's room to get paper towels to dry seat.

stever

great greens, good fairways and bunkers. best course around austin

Featured
Austin Advisor

"Find the right deal and this is worth the trip."

Pro Tip #1: If you're using Gattis School Rd, then you no longer have to take the SH130 access road and loop back around. Instead, head north at the Muirfield Bend Dr signal light behind the HEB. You're welcome.

Pro Tip #2: If available and as you're able, consider the all-inclusive deal wherein you play in the morning, get breakfast and lunch buffets, and a replay in the afternoon. Now that's a great deal if you can hack it. (See what I did there?)

What's new since I last played here? Development! That 'in the country' course we knew for so long is now being surrounded by neighborhoods booming with new construction. It's no surprise; we knew this was coming all along. I just hadn't played here in upwards of six (6) years. #2 now has houses (in range!) on the right where some of you (ahem) used to lose your ball in the high weeds. There's a new townhouse complex to the right of #7/#8. The houses on the left of #11 and #13 will also make it easier for you to give up on finding your ball (sooner) should you hit it OB. But if you hit that roof just right, it'll bounce back into the rough and/or fairway.

With recent construction in the area, the driving range has gotten a little tighter (maybe) but it's still quite nice. Luckily they built a high berm with cedar/juniper trees on top to knock down that snap hook of yours. The range, the chipping green, the putting green ... all nicely done.

All in all the course was in fine shape. I really love playing in the spring before so many courses burn up in the heat and lack of rain. I noticed a spot or two in/around the greens that needed some help. And while most of the bunkers were lush with soft sand, a few (on the back 9) were packed down with large washout areas and exposed drains. Maybe they just got the worst of a recent rain. Hopefully they were on the maintenance list for the days following our visit. I do have one thing I'd really appreciate the course considering. Aside from the black & white 150 yard pole in the fairway, there are apparently no other yard markers available. Personally, I don't care for the sprinkler head variety as much. What I like are nice big yellow/blue/white/red painted stripes on the cart path. Would that be so hard to do?

I'll end this review on a positive though -- two (2) USB charging ports in the carts! So bring your cable and charge your phone, listen to your music (at a reasonable volume), etc. Enjoy!

Slooow

2hrs 25 minutes to play 9 holes. We quit after 9 due to pace of play. We will find somewhere else to play.

cb73a1b8-2a8a-5477-a49f-e8bbc4cd36a5
GordonATX
Commented On 05/09/2019

What time did you tee off? I played the morning of 5/2 and it was fine. But there was a small tournament that teed off right around noon or so. Otherwise, my group might've used the free replay that was part of the all-inclusive deal.

Great Value, Surprisingly good layout

I've lived in the Austin area for 20 years and this was the first time playing Star Ranch, i've been missing out. Played from the tips, at just over 7000 but it never felt that long, Not a boring hole on the course but the back nine are all just really good golf holes. Will be back

Straightforward but Well-Managed

The course itself is a little boring and doesn’t vary much, but pace is well marshaled and the sands are nice and white. Greens are excellent as well and makes for great value

Always a good course

Always enjoy playing this course. Always in good shape, people are good and pace is usually good. A little slow today, but not that bad. Will definitely play again.

Very good course. Staff is friendly. Good clubhouse with good food.

Range and practice green are great. Overall, the greens are the highlight of this course. Everything you want them to be, soft but roll fast and very true. Still winter grass on the fairways. Fairways are pretty wide so you can go after it and even if you miss the fairway you still have a decent look from the rough, it isn't very punitive.

Overall, good course that should attract lots of golfers!

Great course - slow old men though

Great course with very friendly staff. Greens in excellent shape. Wide fairways with lots of bunkers. Sand in good shape. Only complaint is we were stuck behind four selfish old men who played too slow and never once offered to let us through. We ended up playing a 5 and a half hour round because of these self centered old guys. There was no one in front of them either. Disappointed the marshal didn’t move them along or make them let us play though. What was a good day on the course was dampened by the pace of play.

Great course for beginners and scratch golfers alike

I've played Star Ranch a couple times now and I have to say it's one of my favorite courses in Austin. I found a good deal this time around but usually the fees include cart AND unlimited range time and balls AND breakfast and lunch. If you take advantage of these benefits it's a great deal! The course itself is nice and in good condition all around. The course layout is fun for both good and mediocre golfers as the fairways are generous but require good shot placement to really take advantage of the pin locations. Recommended!

Bomber’s Course

Always very well-maintained. Generous fairways but not overly wide. You can’t just spray and pray but you don’t have to be perfect off the tee. Landing in the fairway will reward you with nice grass to hit off of. Bunkers are much improved since they redid them. Greens roll slow to medium and fairly true, just check their aeration schedule.

Hidden Haven

We were down from Minnesota for a golf trip, found this gem for a hot deal on golf now for $45 on a Friday. Honestly I would’ve paid $75. The course was in great shape, greens were quick but true. Hardly a blemish on all 18 greens. The only thing I could even complain about was the fairways were a little hard in spots. If you are in the Austin area you must play here!!!

Pace of Play

I enjoyed my round but the pace of play was slow. There was a group two holes ahead that were really slow and the group in front of us had a five some! how can you keep a pace if there is a five some? I like this course and hated to see this. i will return but if this happens again, i will ask for a refund.

Round Rock, Texas
Georgetown, Texas
3.1904857143
Georgetown, Texas

Valid dates: Jul 11, 2019 - Dec 31, 2019
Stay and play our course, awarded Four Star “Best Places to Play” and Top 50 Service Facility by Golf Digest.