Moccasin Wallow Golf Club

• 9680 Buffalo Rd, Palmetto, Florida 34221, Manatee County
  • www.golfthemoc.com
Write Review

Year built: 1987
Architect(s): Ted McAnlis (1987)
Type: Semi-Private

Practice bunker: Yes
Practice hole: No
Simulator: No

Walking allowed: Yes - after 3:00pm
Dress code: No tanktops or cutoffs, no blue jeans.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, AMEX Welcomed

Green 72 4590 yards N/A N/A

Moccasin Wallow Golf Club (previously known as Imperial Lakewoods Golf Club) is located at the intersection of I-75 and I-275 on exit 45 in Palmetto, less than a 30-minute drive from Tampa, St. Petersburg and Sarasota. The course was designed by Ted McAnlis around 200 beautiful wooded acres with 16 lakes. The course's signature hole, No.18 (550 yard, par 5 dog leg around Imperial Lake), is chosen year after year by local golfers as the best par 5 in southwest Florida

"Trending better every week"

markohiogolf's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/14/2018

Tees, Greens and Fairways are excellent. Rough is filling in nicely on all fairways and green collars. Greens-keeper is doing an excellent job. Fall conditions should be stellar after continued care and maintenance throughout the summer. A must play over the summer. Course requires ball control. You simply can't just hit it anywhere and expect to have a good scoring round.

Grass driving range has great turf for warm up before the round.

"The MOC -- better and better each day"

markohiogolf's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/13/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

Course conditions continue to improve. Fairways, tees and greens are some of the best in the area. All trends indicate a move toward a first class facility. Rough continues to improve but if you are playing from fairways, no need to worry about the rough. Investment in course conditions are evident. Bring your A game because the layout is challenging but based on multiple tee locations the course can be played with enjoyment by all levels.

Driving range size and condition --excellent.

Burgers are excellent in the restaurant if you are hungry.

Holes 10, 11 and 12 are as tough as there is in the area for a three hole stretch.. #9 still remains a monster of a hole.

RG146ACC49869470BC3's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/02/2018

"EXTREME Makeover"

Jverem1999's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/27/2018

I live locally and have played this course several times. It has come under new ownership in the past 12 to 18 months and let me tell you what a fantastic job they have done with the make over. From the range all the way to the greens was in great shape. A challenging and fun course, friendly staff and a relaxing 19th hole. I recommend this course and I am already lookn forward to playing again next week. Can't beat all you get for the price. Had a great time.

Semper Fi

Jay

"Great Course !"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2018

I travel to Florida from Ohio every year. The highlight of my golf vacation is playing MOC ! Although in past years the course has been great, with the new ownership the bar has been raised to Outstanding ! Should I ever move in close proximity to MOC , I would most definitely become a member. If you are ever in the Palmetto Florida area - or just in Florida - I highly recommend playing MOC !

"Best layout in manatee co. PURE GREENS"

jlgolf5's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/24/2018

This golf course has come along way since the Zelnik’s purchased this club. Greens/Fairways are in great shape. The owners have put many long hours into this golf course and it has a BRIGHT FUTURE! If the West FL Golf Tour thinks it’s good enough to have a 3-Day event there... you need to go play it! Can wait to get back out there and tee it up!

Be careful this Snake has a bite!

"The Moc ( Improves )"

Annettesclark's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/19/2018

I am a Member of The Moc and Am very proud to say that !!!

The new owners Zelnik and Andy & Crew have taken a broken Golf Course (Imperial Lakewood) to a New and Improved Golf Course ! They are continually working to improve it.

Everyone should come out to play and see what has been accomplished!

I am Proud to say I’m a Member

"Great layout great greens"

bxbombergolf's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/18/2018

This golf course keeps getting better and better. The fertilizer they put out two weeks ago has the golf course lush.

"My go to golf course when I am in the area on biz"

Robert9504667's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/15/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

Pace of play is great here. The turf conditions get better and better each time I play here. My favorite part is the tee boxes are right next to the cart paths on every hole. No long walks or hikes up stairs or a hill to tee off!! Also keeps the pace of play moving. See you again soon.

"Course is better BUT"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/15/2018
Previously played Used cart

Everything else was a joke. The course has improved a lot but had an awful experience before and after golf. First, the golf cart was disgusting. Trash in the cup holders, broken tees and just dirty. After golf we went into the bar/restaurant for a bite to eat and a drink. We took one look at the menu and were a little shocked to see $12 cheeseburgers and $10 salads. My wife and I decided to split a sandwich until we were told that there was a sharing charge. Are you kidding me? This place is a joke and will never be back again

Commented on 06/09/2018

Unverified round played

Commented on 05/31/2018

You probably grabbed a used cart instead of using the key that was given to you in the pro shop for the clean carts that are parked out front in a row.

here is a menu so that people see that your menu pricing is not what you make it out to be.

MOC Burgers

“the meat of the course”

*Tap In $8.95

½ Deli Sandwich w/ Chips $4.95

Basket of Chips $3.50

2 Chicken Tenders $4.95

Small Salad $3.50

"THIS GUY IS TRYING HARD"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/06/2018
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

The new owner is trying hard to bring this course back from the dead, and has spent a lot of money to do so, but it is a process. I'm sure it will eventually be a really good course, but right now, it's very average (condition wise). Really good layout, with interesting holes..Some are wide open, yet others demand a dead straight shot, trees on 1 side, and water on the other.Very nice staff. Prices are very good, both in the bar, and on the course. I hope everything works out alright for this hard working new owner.

"Nice to have it back!"

jchampeon's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2018

Course has come a long way since new owners took over, they are to be commended for their efforts. A friendly atmosphere, where it feels like you are valued as a customer. The greens are good, the fairways and areas surrounding greens have improved. Bunkers need work, my only real criticism. Give the course and the new owners a try, they deserve your support!

"Not great golf experience"

shamus1's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/25/2018
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

Course condition dry but typical for time of year. Play was slow going. NO DRINK CART. Went to restaurant after to eat but food was expensive and saw cook acting weird so my wife wanted to leave so we went elsewhere to eat.

Commented on 06/07/2018

We understand that you are very upset that your family member is no longer employed at the MOC. Posting reviews for others to see like this validates.

"Great hidden gem"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/22/2018

I was really thrilled to get a early tee time on a Sunday and beat the heat. The course was fun and forgiving for a mid handicapper like myself. The owner and greens management have definitely put in the time and money into making this a premiere course. The improvements I’ve seen over the last year have been nothing short of amazing. All staff memebers abd personel were very friendly and accommodating. Had lunch after my round and the burger was absolutely amazing. On one hand I’m glad to have a hidden treasure like this close to home but also sad that more people don’t know what they are missing. I’m not one to leave reviews but I was shocked to see the rating far lower than this place deserves. I will definitely be back and be bringing guests for years to come.

"Not worth 50"

seantd42's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/09/2018

Well, it is better than when it was Imperial Lakewoods but right now not worth 50 bucks when you consider just in the area you can play Waterlefe for a few bucks more or Stoneyfield for the same or less. I think having played in April there is a price drop coming but at 40 in the summer same difference. So that is price, now for the rest. Maybe in a few years but right now the only highlight is the greens, the fairways are OK but narrow so if you don't keep the ball in the fairway you end up with a notty lie out of raw dirt or crab grass. There is no sand in the bunkers so unless you like hitting out of the equivalent of a Canadian beach don't expect to be able to take sand because there is none, you have to pick it like it has been raining all week. Lots of areas where they are doing work but they just throw down like 2 inch sod piles in the fairway and on the collars in places so that is weird too and frustrating when your drive hits one. One highlight was the guy Dennis was nice along with the girl at the bar. This right now with price points in the area this is really on a level of Summerfield Crossing or Apollo Beach if you know the area, Apollo may even have nicer greens although I have not been there in a while. Plenty of crab grass to go around too. Whens the glow ball tourney with free wings coming.

Commented on 06/08/2018

Sean. Thank you for leaving your review. This is the third by a member of the family since there has been a change of employment. You loved the course in April when all were allowed to play free golf and now you guys are upset. We all want everyone to know why you are leaving reviews six weeks after you were here.

"Perhaps improving but still a way to go"

MBS33's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/21/2018
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

I selected this course because it was convenient to where we were traveling and I read some reviews that said the course conditions had improved from previous years. I'll start with the good...the green surfaces were in great condition and the pace of play (Wed afternoon) was great (under 4 hours for me and my wife). I've read reviews that said the tees and fairways were improved. I found most of the tees to be OK but a few were still bad. One womens tee on #12 was crabgrass and sand. I'm not sure about the fairways. We started on 10 and it seemed to be in pretty good shape but but it looked dormant (brown). Most fairways were covered in piles of grass clippings and I'm not sure why that was. Anything that wasn't fairway grass looked pretty unkept. I'm not sure if that's intentional or not. Lots of sandy areas and splotchy grass coverage. Some bunkers seemed pretty well covered in sand but others had grass clumps and little sand. I doubt I'll visit again until I see many more positive reviews.

"Good course, staff needs training"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/06/2018

This is the first time playing this course since the new ownership took over. The greens were quite good and fast, and the entire course was in good shape. It is a very challenging course, quite narrow in places, and open to the wind. I had friends visiting from GA who had never played the course, and though the golf was enjoyable, the staff at the MOC (other than the starter, who was quite pleasant, and the bartender), was repeatedly unprofessional, complaining about the fee that Golf Now takes, chastising us for picking up range balls when the pro shop was out of balls and told us to find them on the range, then directing us to move our carts over here, then over there, as though we worked for them. They apparently spent their money on the greens, and not on attitude training for their employees.

Commented on 03/16/2018

Played this course March 14 2018; fairways, greens, and tee boxes were the worse I have played out in 9 years living in Florida. We played this course after reading the course website that misrepresented the condition of the course.

"Pretty Cool Golf Course"

smgeo62's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/10/2018

This course commonly known as "The Moc" was a very nice treat. I am actually glad I waited to write this review, you see why as you continue to read. So I booked a tee time on their web site for 2:00 PM I arrived at the course at 1:00 went in and paid and was going to warm up. The young man at the desk was very kind, I ask can I go or do I need to wait, he says a twosome just went off and there is not another Tee Time for about 30 mins there is no need for you to wait. So I go off and proceeded to make my first 3 putt and double bogey of the year, lol. It gets better, caught the twosome at #4 and they allowed me to play ahead. The greens on the course were in fantastic condition, some minor issues but nothing that time will not fix. So I finish my round and came in to get something to drink did have time to eat, although the food I saw folks eating looked yummy. Very nice test of golf a great course to get in some great work, very nice layout. So fast forward to Tuesday afternoon 13 FEB, I am on my way in from work and had not eaten lunch, I have to go right by the Moc to get home so I decided to stop and grab a bite to eat. The young lady behind the counter took good care of me, folks in the place were very friendly. Then this guy shows up and is behind the bar, starts up a conversation asked me if I played I told him not today just stopped in to grab some food, He said alright that''s cool I told him I had played on Saturday and enjoyed it very much we talked about the course and somehow got on the new ball from Titleist (AVX), long story short he goes to his office and gives me one to try out, I was thinking this guy must be the pro he was very friendly and nice to talk to, come to find out his name is Noah and he is the owner of the course. What a treat, you can tell he loves his club and his patrons. I will be back, simply because Noah has created an environment that you don't find in most golf clubs. Oh by the way, the Club Sandwich on a scale of 1-10 it was a 12 or 13. I will be back oh yeah score 83 not bad for the first round of the year, like riding a bike.

Regards,

EG

"Great value"

Danbo11's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/28/2017

This course was a pleasant surprise for a first time golfer. The conditions were good, I loved the layout, found the staff very pleasant, and loved the overall value.

"Good Greens"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/26/2017

Greens were excellent and moderately contoured. Nice medium speed. Course not very challenging. Many par 4s were the same. Lots of almost straight-away. Negligible rough and trees, but some trees strategically placed. Friendly staff. Great pace. Had a good time.