Moccasin Wallow Golf Club

Practice bunker: Yes
Practice hole: No
Simulator: No

Walking allowed: Yes - after 3:00pm
Dress code: No tanktops or cutoffs, no blue jeans.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, AMEX Welcomed

Green 72 4590 yards N/A N/A

Moccasin Wallow Golf Club (previously known as Imperial Lakewoods Golf Club) is located at the intersection of I-75 and I-275 on exit 45 in Palmetto, less than a 30-minute drive from Tampa, St. Petersburg and Sarasota. The course was designed by Ted McAnlis around 200 beautiful wooded acres with 16 lakes. The course's signature hole, No.18 (550 yard, par 5 dog leg around Imperial Lake), is chosen year after year by local golfers as the best par 5 in southwest Florida

"Pretty Cool Golf Course"

smgeo62's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/10/2018

This course commonly known as "The Moc" was a very nice treat. I am actually glad I waited to write this review, you see why as you continue to read. So I booked a tee time on their web site for 2:00 PM I arrived at the course at 1:00 went in and paid and was going to warm up. The young man at the desk was very kind, I ask can I go or do I need to wait, he says a twosome just went off and there is not another Tee Time for about 30 mins there is no need for you to wait. So I go off and proceeded to make my first 3 putt and double bogey of the year, lol. It gets better, caught the twosome at #4 and they allowed me to play ahead. The greens on the course were in fantastic condition, some minor issues but nothing that time will not fix. So I finish my round and came in to get something to drink did have time to eat, although the food I saw folks eating looked yummy. Very nice test of golf a great course to get in some great work, very nice layout. So fast forward to Tuesday afternoon 13 FEB, I am on my way in from work and had not eaten lunch, I have to go right by the Moc to get home so I decided to stop and grab a bite to eat. The young lady behind the counter took good care of me, folks in the place were very friendly. Then this guy shows up and is behind the bar, starts up a conversation asked me if I played I told him not today just stopped in to grab some food, He said alright that''s cool I told him I had played on Saturday and enjoyed it very much we talked about the course and somehow got on the new ball from Titleist (AVX), long story short he goes to his office and gives me one to try out, I was thinking this guy must be the pro he was very friendly and nice to talk to, come to find out his name is Noah and he is the owner of the course. What a treat, you can tell he loves his club and his patrons. I will be back, simply because Noah has created an environment that you don't find in most golf clubs. Oh by the way, the Club Sandwich on a scale of 1-10 it was a 12 or 13. I will be back oh yeah score 83 not bad for the first round of the year, like riding a bike.

Regards,

EG

"Great value"

Danbo11's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/28/2017

This course was a pleasant surprise for a first time golfer. The conditions were good, I loved the layout, found the staff very pleasant, and loved the overall value.

"Good Greens"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/26/2017

Greens were excellent and moderately contoured. Nice medium speed. Course not very challenging. Many par 4s were the same. Lots of almost straight-away. Negligible rough and trees, but some trees strategically placed. Friendly staff. Great pace. Had a good time.

"Nice staff. Did not really like the course."

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/24/2017

First time playing. Slow. Some weird holes. Close to the highway. Noisy.

"Mocassin Wallow"

mjbaker46's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/15/2017

Very nice greens. No water in ball washers. Score card not current. Nice layout and you can see that they are working hard to make it a quality course. Will definitely play there again.

"Pleasantly surprised"

Peterewen's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/13/2017

I wasn’t sure what to expect, but left my wife and daughter at ellenton to do some shopping and decided to try The Moc. The pro shop was closed but I was directed to the bar and got out to play quickly

There are some great holes and the course is in good condition, some previous reviews don’t do ithe conditions justice. As with many Florida golf courses, houses are never far away, nor the i75. I enjoyed my round and got back to ellenton in good time to help carry some bags. Thankfully neither the golf or the shopping proved too costly! I hope to return to the moc and see the improvement continue. I would recommend.

One improvement idea better course marking in terms of direction and distance. Sometimes I struggled to make out distances and had to work them out for myself. My garmin watch did not realise I was on a golf course!

Good luck to the moc.

Commented on 11/15/2017

Thank you very much for your feedback. As with the shoulder season we are doing our best to staff the golf course fully. When not busy in the afternoons we run things out of the restaurant until we find help. Thank you again.

"Much improved!"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/06/2017

This is the first time I have played this course in several years and was pleasantly surprised at how much better the conditions are. It is now a course I would definitely play again.

"Fast pace of play"

Tourboundgolfer's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/06/2017

One of my favorite places to play in the area. Great central location for me and my buddies to meet. Played in about three hours today then we went in and had their Chicken Parmesan special. Great bar with a large selection of bottled beer and mixed drinks. Brand new clubhouse design that looks like a great place to watch sports. If you want a great priced course, great greens, good food, and awesome laid back atmosphere this is your place.

"Keeps getting better"

Robert9504667's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/02/2017

Greens rolling great. Fairways are good. New tee boxes huge improvement. Staff is super friendly.Teeing off at 2:30 and getting around in 3 hours. Super easy access off I-75 Moccasin Wallow Rd exit. Can't wait until my next trip to Florida.

"Great course and friendly staff!"

Addison113's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/01/2017

I recently played this course as I heard it had been completely renovated. I had played years ago when it seemed to had been let go. To my surprise, not only was the course in outstanding shape, the clubhouse also underwent a huge makeover. I was immediately greeted by staff when I arrived and was handed a menu with plenty to choose from. The food was delicious, staff was friendly and front desk what helpful. I can't wait to bring my girlfriends next time.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/27/2017

"It keeps getting better!"

TIMACE's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/21/2017

After being closed for a year, the former Imperial Lakewoods, has been redone and updated. Each time we play, we notice that the tees, fairways, and greens show improvement. Nice bar too!

"Great staff / course was in amazing shape"

Jenny7785's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/18/2017

I am a precious gold course managaer and have seen it all!

It was my job to make sure everyone had an amazing time and when they left they had a feeling of wow that was fun!! And we were treated great!!!!

Also my boss was extremely obsessed with his course and how it looked and took great pride in it!!!

When I left here after a round , a few cocktails and a great meal I can say I felt I was greatly taken care of and the course was in amazing shape

Job well done staff

"A Fun layout"

Robert9504667's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/01/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

This golf course is heading in the right direction. New owners in the past year have made a big investment in the facility. Upgraded irrigation/reseeded all greens/fairways and remodeled clubhouse/bar and grill. Looks like they have been active in getting weeds out of rough areas. Must be why they had a few bare spots. Tees have improved since the last winter. All appear to have been leveled out. After my round I had the buffalo chicken wrap and fries and watched golf on the big screen with a cold beer. The parking lot looks a little rough when you pull in but pay no attention to that I heard a developer is putting in a new Publix and that will be taken care of when that is built. Some of the negative reviews are from old regime of old farts that were used to complaining and getting golf for free. They pushed the old owners to sell. They couldn't take it anymore. Well those days are gone. If you want to play a fun layout(if you pick the right tees) and enjoy a good after round beer or meal then try the Moc. I did. And I am going back.

"THE MOC -- Getting Better and Better"

markohiogolf's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/29/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

Fairways and Greens are Outstanding! Tess are good and are improving week by week. Holes 9, 10 and 11 are toughest 3 hole stretch in the area.

With the current investment in course care this fall should produce a course with excellent playing conditions including the roughs and green fringes.

If you haven't played the renovated MOC, give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

"Golfer"

Thomasrenee's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/09/2017

This course sucked $26 for a course I would never go back to again this course had sod cut out of the fairway and put on the greens sticking about 2 inches above the greens The fairway was about 6 inches deep to get a ball out of there you might as well forget it because you can't find it One green had piles of shell all the way around the green do not recommend this course at all

Commented on 08/12/2017

Sod had been cut out of the sides of fairways and used to resod some of the 75,000 square feet of tee boxes that had been laser leveled. We have not put any sod on our greens as they are always in great shape as every review on here states.Areas had been cut from our sod farms to replace bare areas that weeds had been sprayed out . Our fairways are cut and maintained at .450 and we have some of the best fairways in the area. We have very minimal weeds in them as they are sprayed every three days. The pile of shell was added behind the 13th green and was spread by our mainenence that afternoon and created a waste bunker which has completely enhanced the character of the hole. I appreciate you mentioning all of this as it shows that we are continuously working in the summertime to make our golf course better.

"The course is coming along nicely"

Umpire171256's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/02/2017

Although undergoing some renovations, you can definetly see where this course is going. The greens are awesome and aside from a spot or two on a few holes the fairways are great also. I can't wait to see how this course evolves over the coming months. Keep up the good work!

"Work in progress"

bronxbombergolf's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/20/2017

Played The MOC last night and they are definitely doing what they say. The fairways and greens are some of the best around. The roughshod have been sprayed for weeds and there are a few bare spots but you can see the weeds are disappearing. The collars around the greens are being sodded to eliminate bare spots which you can tell had been sprayed. The tee boxes are being sodded as well. They laser leveled a while ago and some of the tees had come in, while others didn't take. You can see the sodded ones are being worked on as this course is really coming around . With the rain they are getting the rough is growing thick as it's tough to keep up with. Definitely worth the money. Not busy during the week so it makes for a fast round. Restaurant is great place to watch sports.

Commented on 08/05/2017

Why does it seem like the staff of the course is posting comments to inflate its rating?

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/12/2017

"DO NOT PLAY THIS COURSE"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/07/2017

Do not play this course if you have to pay more than $10. I will say that greens and fairways were in pretty good shape, but EVERYTHING else was ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. Tee boxes are NON EXISTENT except for 4 or 5 holes. It looks like they just threw the tee markers anywhere they could find a spot; often times in a muddy ditch (which makes no sense because it has not rained in weeks). Your "165" yard par threes are reduced to 85 yards, par fours get 100+ yards knocked off, and the same for par fives. Most of the tee boxes (where tees are supposed to be) looks like a giant sand mound. You will find their tee markers way up on uneven ground covered in dying crab grass.

The greens may be in good shape but 2 feet off the green is all dead grass that is uneven and awful. Here is a quote from their website, "We have spent the past 9 months rebuilding and rebranding what will be one of the best golf clubs in Tampa Bay Area" The only thing that I can see they spent money on is the bar/restaurant, which should be the last thing they spend money on. Who wants to go to a nice restaurant and play a terrible course?

In summary: This was the most disappointing course I have ever played on. They have A LONG way to go before this course can be considered decent. Buffalo Creek is right down the road, cheaper, and 100X better. Mangrove Bay is currently undergoing renovations and they are charging $18 a round. I STRONGLY advise staying away from this course so you do not have a bad day.

Course Layout: Poor