Bay Point Golf Club's Nicklaus Course at Sheraton Bay Point Resort is the only Nicklaus Design course in Northwest Florida. The golf course was formerly Lagoon Legend, which had a reputation for being one of the Florida Panhandle's toughest layouts. In 2004, the golf course closed and underwent a major renovation by the Nicklaus Design team. It reopened a year later with rave reviews. The redesign included restructuring the tees, greens, and bunkers and also re-contouring the fairways. The scenic landscape of scrub oaks, towering pines, and saltwater marshes was carefully preserved though. The golf course maintained the challenging aspects of the original but infused a play-ability that makes it accessible to all skill levels. Also like the former course, the new Nicklaus design offers the same stunning views of St. Andrew's Bay. In the fall of 2018, the Nicklaus Course completed a greens conversion to Tif-Eagle Bermuda-grass greens to bring championship greens to a championship course. Bay Point Golf Club has won the Panama City News Herald's "Best of Bay" in 2016, 2017, and 2018. The Nicklaus Course has hosted US Open Local qualifiers and is a home course of the FSU Women's Golf Team and will host their Division 1 Invitational in February of 2020.

Bay Point - Nicklaus Course

Year Built 1986
Greens TifEagle Bermuda Grass
Architect Bruce Devlin (1986) Nicklaus (2005) Rick Robbins

Dress code Proper golf attire.

Waterful course

The course was in great shape but a challenge as it had water on every hole. The helpful notes on the score card are a must for a first time player as every shot needs to be placed to enable you to score well. Place of play was a little slow, however I play fast anyway. I'd certainly play it again.

A Little Pricey

The staff here set the tone. There wasn’t a single person that didn’t make me feel extremely welcome, from the lady that checked me in, to the starter, .everyone were very professional.. The course was certainly challenging from the #2 tees and the hazards were well placed. The 4th and 5th holes boasted some beautiful views. The course was nice and had some great views. On the other hand, it seemed to be a lot of car traffic with nearby roads. Pace of play was an issue. We were a twosome, following a foursome and a threesome. Tried to get a couple to join us, but she didn’t feel comfortable playing with other men. The tees, fairways, bunkers were really nice, but was disappointed in the greens. The looked nice and rolled true, but the were extremely slow. I played midday, so didn’t pay the full price. This course was definitely not worth the full price. I had played Panama City Country Club earlier in the week and there greens were much faster. It was nice that the range balls were included in price, so you can hit ten balls or buckets. Next time in the area I will try this course again.

The more I play it the more I like it.

Booked the “bargain” GolfNow rate in early afternoon. I kinda felt like a second class passenger when I checked in. Told I would be paired up with several other bargain buyers which was ok. Also told I would be given a scorecard by the starter. Went to the range followed by putting green. Never saw the starter so I teed off alone at my designated tee time as rain was in the forecast. I had to ask the beverage cart girl to pick me up a scorecard when she passed the pro shop and didn’t get one until I finished #8. The course is very challenging but is always in good shape. Now that they focus all their attention on the Nicklaus course after the closure of the Meadows course you can’t ask for better. A real bargain for this area when you get the low discounted rate.

Not worth it

The overall course play was OK, until we got to the back. We were not told there would be or was a high school tournament being played on the course.Caught up with them on #11, playing in threesomes with a score keeper observing. Two of the players couldn't hit the ball past the ladies tee's, Couldn't go through them because there were other teams in front of them. Finally decided to give it up with four holes left to play.Never good when you pay over $40 to play and not told prior to teeing off that you'll definitely catch up with a school tournament.
Also had to wait for someone to find two carts that had enough charge to make the round.

Won't be back, not worth the premium price to play.

Beautifully maintained at 1 year after hurricane

Fairways and greens in excellent shape. Get there early with practice range ready for as many warmup shots as you would like. Sheraton / Marriott guest get discount. Lots of water so strategy and control matter. 4 varying tee boxes make it enjoyable for long and shorter hitters. Staff was very friendly. Loved the wildflowers that replaced many of the downed trees. Ulra dwarf greens are very nice and have to be experienced. I enjoyed the course so much that I am sure I will be back

“Awesome from tee to green!”

The staff here set the tone. There wasn’t a single person that didn’t make me feel extremely welcome...from the lady that checked me in, to the starter, to the gentleman cleaning and prepping the carts....everyone was top notch. The course was certainly challenging from the #2 tees and the hazards were well placed to gobble up any errant shots. The 4th and 5th holes boasted some beautiful views. This course was definitely worth the price. I played in the heat of the day, so pace was not an issue. Loved the fact that range balls were included in the price and were already set up and waiting for me at the range...nice touch! I will definitely be back when I am in the area.

Aerated greens this morning.

It would have been nice to know when you book a tee time the they aerated the green this morning. I understand that courses have to do this, but we would have played it later in the week. The greens were rough and had ridges in them everywhere. The rest of the course was ok. I had rather drive to Miramar Beach and play much nicer courses.

I’ll be back.

I always try to play Bay Point when I’m in town. The very first time (about 5-6 yrs ago) I played the Nicklaus course but ever since I’ve played the Meadows course since it was usually easier to get a tee time and it was not as challenging. I guess my game has advanced enough now that I actually enjoyed playing the Nicklaus course since the Meadows is closed indefinitely. I booked an early afternoon time and the course was pretty much deserted allowing me to tee off a bit early. Course was in great shape, my only complaint was the drop area on #2 was awful, like the third cut of rough it was so deep. Never seen a drop area so awful. Other than that I hope to return very soon.

Great Day of Golf

Trying to play golf on a weekend with your son can be tough to say the least. This was the best golf day I’ve ever had with mine; however. Exceptionally friendly staff (the pro shop, starter, & beverage cart). I’ve never felt more welcome and my business appreciated any more than here. We will definitely be back.

Could be better

First nine located most of the time between hotels, accommodations and road !
Back nine much nicer.
Fairway and greens could be in better shape.
Facilities are good.
Expensive for what you get, or you could find better in an another golf.

Fairways had been punched but still perfect, greens top-notch. The maintenance on the course is unbelievable, some of the shot selections and views are some of the best I’ve ever seen. I will be back and I will play this course

Great course and very challenging. Water on about every hole. Course is a links style course but very nice restrooms at hole 7 and11, cart women came around often. Entire staff was friendly and helpful. Looking forward to playing again next trip to the area.

GREAT SHAPE CONSIDERING HURRICANE MICHAEL

If you played the Nichlaus course prior to Hurricane Michael, you see the effects in the missing trees and downed trees pulled to the sides of the course. That said, the course is in wonderful shape for a great round with fewer obstacles to consider. Kudos to the staff for restoring everything so well.

Course closed with no notification

Course was closed on 8/12 with no notification. You need to refund my fee for booking.

Loved it

The only way the course could have been in any better shape is if the greens weren't so hard. They putted great, but were PGA Tour hard. We are scratch golfers and neither of us could stop the ball.
You literally had to play for a 15 to 20 foot release on the greens. Also, it was very soft around the greens, so you never got a bounce onto the green. I live very close to the course and really appreciated the lower green fee. I'd play it a lot more at that rate. There wasn't hardly anyone out there.

Great layout

Course in excellent condition. Greens were smooth but slow

Met my expectations

This was my first time playing a Nicklaus designed course. The design was innovative and challenging but enjoyable. I played the #1 tees which makes for a few long tee shots over the water.I wouldn't advise unless you can carry your drive about 240 yards. Greens were hard but a little slow for the firmness.

A must play

Great course offering plenty of challenges. I would definitely play again. Staff was fantastic, friendly and helpful. Course was in very good shape large undulating greens and great fairways. Kudos to staff and greens keepers.

Survived the Hurricane

After Hurricane Michael the course looks very different but the conditions were very good

Panama City, Florida