Rancho Maria Golf Club

Year Built 1965
Architect Bob E. Baldock

9-Hole Rounds 6

Winter golf

Everything is in good shape considering how much play it gets except many tee boxes. This time of year the ball rolls and rolls on the fairways. I play here often and sometimes it s slow but that's the exception not the rule.

Good game

Have a good game course was in good shape
Good game even though we got caught by Santa Maria afternoon winds.

Good Thursday

The course is in good shape And the greens were fast weather was perfect couldn’t ask for more

Good course

Pretty good course...ball rolls a long way and green is lightning fast...bunkers are in good shape as well.

Lighting greens

The part about this course that separates it from others are the greens. The layout is alright there could be improvements. But the greens are so fast and well maintained it’s a different kind of course than you anticipate. Some needed rolling to eliminate the bumps and air raiding is needed as minor touch ups.

Course

Good condition it being winter Just need a Marshall or two to keep play faster thanks Golf Now

Great Track for the money

This open muni course offers generous fairways that play fast and firm. Accuracy is a must since most of the greens are small and undulating. The course is in it’s best condition in the late summer and Fall timeframe. There are some elevation changes that offer an added challenge. Views of the Valley from the back nine holes are striking but also can be challenging if the prevailing wind picks up.

Good public course at a good value.

Many things to like about this course. The best way for this course to improve would be to get rid of the bunch grass and improve the bunkers.

Very windy

This is a great course, however if you plan on playing after noon or 1 pm, be prepared for the wind to be ripping. The wind on the back nine is miserable in the afternoon and it’s freezing!

Red White Blue Flags

We have asked for Red White Blue flags forever, only wish they would honor our request. Love the course, staff, and the Food.

I felt good.

It was hard to find next hole.
There need something kind of signs for next.

Horrible customer service

the guy in the club house is the rudest pro shop attendant I've ever encountered in my life. I think his name is Doug. He is an older 6 ft tall white guy with gray hair. He has been in a negative, rude, griping mood every time I've gone there. I have gone in one minute late for a tee time and he has yelled rudely at me that I have to show up early for a tee time. Then after he lakd into me, he told me I have to wait because the guy I was scheduled to tee off with wasn't even there yet either. On hole 9 we parked slightly off the cart path in order to remaon in the shade since their carts have no roof to them, in uncut regular tall grass, and when my female riding partner was sitting in the cart, he came up and jumped in next to her and yelled at her that she can't park there and he will kick her off the course if she parks there again. that was her first time playing there. He really frightened her as she didn't know who he was and he came and jumped in her cart next to her, and yelled at her while I was busy putting. nevermind he is shouting when I was about to putt, he really scared her. I didn't realize all that he did until after he left and she told me how frightened she was at his wild and out of control behavior; it took a lot of my Christian decency not to go in there and retaliate against this rude horrible mannerless older man. He completely ruined the day of golf.

It was nice I got to play with some great players and we did as good as we were able to play.

Long fairways

My wife and had a good time here. We stopped by after watching Sebastian Maniscalco at the Santa Barbara Bowl. The course layout incorporates beautiful views of the valley and hillsides towards the middle of the course. The long fairways are accompanied by beautiful mature trees. Green side sand bunker on hole 14 or 15 definitely didn’t feel like sand. A bit congested in the beginning. Skipped 2 or 3 holes and pace of play picked up. I would encourage more cart signs to avoid cart markings next to greens. Extended cart paths would be nice to avoid and preserve the beautiful topography. The check in building and bar area was a bit outdated for me and could use an upgrade. Overall, great experience. Staff was friendly and helpful. Had a good time.

Topless carts

Average course but very bumpy ride, even on fairways, in a cart with no canopy. Bring a large brimmed hat and lots of sunscreen.

California Advisor

Rancho Maria

Walked the Blues (6390/70.5/124) as part of a SLO Co. Golf tournament. Played with my neighbor Mike and his wife Doris. 4.5H POP under breezy, overcast skies in the 60's.

The courses main defenses are the sloping greens and the hundreds of 40+' tall trees that line all the fairways. Few true water hazards but a decent amount of lateral and OB that can catch really errand shots.

They had a few tees closed for resodding. I guess my reaction would be about time, because these were probably the worst tees I have played on in 2019. Decent coverage, but most needed leveling, they had not been mowed recently and there were far too many unfixed divots.

The fairways had decent coverage, much more thin than lush.

The rough was thin and not tall. However, it was penal because of how uneven it was. Good chance you would draw a poor lie.

The sand traps were decently maintained but needed more sand. Too thin around the greens.

The Poa annua greens were fairly quick but were some of the bumpiest poa greens I have putted on in awhile. And they were hard, not firm. I hit a couple of nice high irons that landed short of the pin, the first bounce was above waist high and was then chipping back from well over the green.

Quick efficient check-in. $26 to walk mid morning. No drink cart, but they had an open restaurant at the clubhouse. Very basic carts, no roof or GPS. Course has basic 100/150/200 yard stones and stones on the tee boxes for yardages. All grass driving range.

Older, parkland style course with some interesting holes that has few homes anywhere around the course. Could be a fun course to play, but could not recommend with the current conditions, too rough around the edges.

The course has a good layout

Fun to play and the staff for the most part is very friendly. Good food withe good prices. I do recommend this course for any handicap golfers.

Santa Maria, California
Lompoc, California
Arroyo Grande, California
Lompoc, California
Grover Beach, California
Buellton, California
Solvang, California

Valid dates: Mar 06, 2020 - May 06, 2020
Talamore’s Spring Signature Package (2 Nights / 3 Rounds), starting at $325 per person.