Lost Key Golf Club

Lost Key Golf Club is conveniently situated equidistant from the historic downtown area of Pensacola and the pristine white sand beaches of Orange Beach and the Gulf Shores. The Arnold Palmer-designed layout was Florida's first golf course to be certified as an Audubon International Silver Signature Sanctuary. It underwent a major renovation in 2006 that included the addition of 2,200 native trees, 13,000 wetland plantings, and the resurfacing of the tees, greens, fairways, and rough. The golf course now presents a formidable test for even the most seasoned golfers. The greens are large and undulating and the flat fairways are lined with trees. There are also doglegs fairways on six holes and sand bunkers on several others. Lost Key Golf Club's signature hole is the par-3 13th hole, which requires a tee shot over water to a partial island green that rolls across dramatic elevation changes.
Orange 71 4137 yards 62.5 102
Scorecard for Lost Key Golf Club
Black M: 73.9/145 578 208 390 324 439 524 205 436 396 3500 427 158 516 152 410 385 197 445 500 3190 6690
Blue M: 72.3/141 549 185 374 292 413 498 178 412 388 3289 415 147 501 147 373 372 166 430 492 3043 6332
White M: 70.2/129 507 171 368 276 375 488 169 384 357 3095 368 132 460 136 354 349 133 410 465 2807 5902
Gold M: 66.8/113 W: 71.5/131 459 147 333 221 362 447 144 349 310 2772 339 120 382 118 325 314 110 378 385 2471 5243
Red M: 65.0/109 W: 69.6/122 423 137 297 203 279 400 119 318 284 2460 307 101 377 107 320 314 103 336 382 2347 4807
Orange M: 62.5/102 W: 65.3/112 385 132 234 137 260 378 100 283 224 2133 246 101 345 100 235 239 100 295 343 2004 4137

Year Built 1997
Greens Sea Dwarf Paspalum
Architect Arnold Palmer (2006) Ed Seay

Carts Yes - included in green fee

Birmingham Advisor

Lost Key demands exceptional ballstriking

Yes, Lost Key Golf Club is nicknamed “Lost Balls.” And, yes, it absolutely lives up to the moniker.

Lost Key demands pure ballstriking and puts a premium on accuracy off the tee. As a first-shot golf course, you must be in the fairway to consistently make pars. Wayward drives have little margin for error as scrub and wetlands await just paces off the fairways. Therefore, the driver can, and probably should, remain in the bag and never see its’ headcover removed. This shouldn’t be a hinderance. As a 4.5 handicap playing from the blue tees, I used 3 wood on the longer par 4s and did not have an issue with leaving any longer approach shots. 170 yards is about the most I had in to a par-4 green, and most were around 150 yards.

Should you hit it in the junk, I wouldn’t advise poking around trying to find your ball. I did such and stumbled upon the biggest cottonmouth snake I’ve ever seen. Beware!.

The paspalum greens putted beautifully and alternate in size (I found them to break far less than I read). The collection of par 3s, which I found to be very strong, utilized very small greens. The 11th hole played only 135 yards into the wind, but the diminutive green resembled the Postage Stamp at Royal Troon. There are no real bailouts on any par 3 other than the second hole. So, like your tee ball, irons must be well-struck or they will find hazards or the multitude of bunkers found throughout.

My only constructive criticism would be that this course would do well to produce a course yardage guide. There is no GPS in the carts, and though there is a course hole layout diagram on the scorecard, it is of minimal help. For first-timers, it would vastly speed up pace of play to be able to see where you should hit shots instead of trying to guess, as many tee shots have blind landing areas - particularly the 18th hole.

Challenging course

Course is very tough, but scenic. Fairways are extremely tight, and there are hazards on every hole. If you come here expecting to shoot par, you’ll walk away very frustrated. Relax and enjoy the challenge this unique course offers. There were a few dead spots in the fairway and on the green, but 90% of the course was in pristine shape. I did find it odd none of the bunkers were raked. Starter initially was not very friendly after I drove past him to fill up my water bottle and to get my towel wet. However, he did let me out early. The twilight rate ($39 + tax) was reasonable, but I would not pay their regular rate which is much higher.

Mississippi Advisor

Not a Good Time

Lost Key is pretty, and its practice facility is nice, and the staff are friendly. But the course itself could not be more unenjoyable. The fairways are preposterously narrow. The hazards are EVERYWHERE (for example, the red stakes bordering the 10th green). It’s just not pleasant. I shot my handicap and couldn’t believe it, because based on the amount of fun I’d had, I figured I’d shot 110. I doubt that I’ll return.

It earned its name today - Lost Balls

It was a very windy day which added to the already high difficulty of this course. The course was in great condition with lush fairways and greens,. The greens were very nice and playable. I've played it twice, much more fair when the wind is not blowing 20+ mph.

Doesn't get mich better...

I hadn't been to this course in around 10 years as I moved away from the area but it was always my favorite course near Pensacola, just ahead of The Moors which was so unfortunately dozed for more ranch homes. I have to say, it's just as nice now as when it was new and the conditions were practically flawless. The greens looked as though they were punched not too far back but considering rolled very true and were lush and consistant. Fairways perfect. Rough perfect. Bunkers perfect. And the course layout is just an absolute blast. So challenging for a course without a ton of length but if you can miss small, you'll typically be in ok shape to make a decent score. The only thing I miss from the "old days" at Lost Key is the trailer clubhouse, outdoor grill and the original 16th and 17th holes. And maybe a few trees that were lost in Ivan. The fancy upscale golf vibe with a "beautiful" clubhouse has never been something that did anything for me and this place felt like it was about golf and golf alone in those days, versus the centerpiece of a beachy gated community which is what it is now. But that's nitpicking. If you're in Penscaola or Gulf Shores and wanna play somewhere nice, try Lost Key. It's as pretty as any golf course I've seen and the course plays every bit as good as it looks.

Ye Must Hit It Straight at Lost Key

If you are a good ball striker, then you will love this track. It is part of an Audubon nature preserve; most holes are lined on both sides by lateral hazards. Hit it off the beaten path and you're taking a penalty stroke (I lost 5 balls but found 14).

The sand bunkers are large and deep. Some are difficult to walk in and out of; a few that I encountered had not been raked by the previous golfer due to the slope.

The Bermuda greens were excellent, perfect speed and smooth.

When you make a par on any hole here, you know you've done something. If you hit it crooked, bring plenty of golf balls.

Lost Key Golf Club, Florida

I played Lost Key for the second time in a month recently. Tee to Green it is the most fun (challenging) course and best course condition in the Orange Beach - Gulf Shores area. Their greens are a little course but roll very nicely and can be very quick (Kiva Dunes has, by far, the best greens in the area). Beyond that i could find no complaints. The course is well maintained and can be described as manicured, unique in it's layout and design and affordable. it cost me $63 (tax included) for 18 holes, golf cart and range balls. Go check it out but if you cant hit the ball straight then bring an extra sleeve of balls!

Better every time

First time going to this course it put a beating on me. 4th time plating today and am beginning to understand course better. Lots of people call this lost balls. It is not a course where you can whale away with a driver every hole, nor do you need too. The course does not play long at all and a hybrid off the tee is plenty good enough on a lot of holes. Greens were just punched a few weeks ago I would say and not fully recovered yet. This is truly a great golf course. The first time will be pretty tough but it only gets better after every try. I play after 2 with my son who is 6 and we have a great time. 40$ for adult and no charge on kids. Great round for the price. Just don't expect to shoot lights out your first round and try to resist pulling out the driver every tee shot.

Challenging track - well laid out

I've now played this course for the past few weeks and feel I can give it an accurate review. I'm giving it five stars because I think this course would be great to play when the grass is out of dormancy. I don't understand why Florida/Alabama courses don't overseer like Arizona courses and it's the only thing I can find faults with this course. Some golfers I've talked with call the course "Lost Balls" but I find that if you can keep the ball relatively close to the fairway, you should enjoy it.

The greens are some of the best I've putted on in 2 months of playing gulf coast courses.

Pace of play is always really good. Today I played in 4 hours, 5 minutes. Pretty good. The staff is very friendly and usually brings a cart out to your car when you arrive.

Give this course a try and I think you'll enjoy yourself.

Great and fun layout

I'm writing this to all who have read the previous reviews of "lost balls". I travel to gulf shores every year for vacation with my family. I play 4 times a week and have played every course out here. I have avoided thus course the past 5 years bc of reviews saying it was difficult. I saw the rate online for 39$ after 2:30 so I gave it a try. Anyone under 18 plays free with adult. So my kid got to come free. This has to be one of my favorite designed courses I've ever played. Every hole has a challenge and a uniqueness to it. Do not expect to score well your first round. 2nd round is much easier. No OB anywhere just all lateral so that's not as penalizing. I can't wait to come back in a few weeks to play again and see how much better I do. Don't miss out on this course. Kicking myself for avoiding it past few years. I'm a 6 handicap and shot 84. Stay patient and there are plenty opportunities for birdie. Greens are easy to putt and score to make up for tee shot and approach shot.

Pleasure

Played a few months before and it was noticeable better. The new management company has made a difference.

Lost Key - Nothing to be afraid of here!

I was at Perdido Key last week visiting friends and treated myself to a round at Lost Key Golf Club. I had read a number of reviews warning about the difficulty of the course, the pace of play and the "Lost Ball" reputation. I played from the white tees and shot an 84 and could not be happier with my experience. Friendly staff in the clubhouse and a friendly and knowledgeable starter that got me out as a single on a beautiful fall morning. Maintenance staff on the course were friendly and the cart girl was an absolute treat! For my game (not a long hitter) the course played challenging but very fair. The scorecard gives good advice on how to approach the holes for a first timer and the tee boxes, fairways, bunkers and greens were in excellent condition. Very nice clubhouse, smallish range and very good putting green that was representative of the greens on the course. Good pace of play and an overall very good experience. Requires some shot making and would recommend playing to the front of most of the par three greens. Next time I'm in the area I plan on playing the course again and recommend the course without reservation!

Mississippi Advisor

It is Neither Lost Nor a Key

First things first: I really, really liked this golf course. The conditions are very good, and the layout is a tremendous challenge. I don't recall seeing so many elevation changes on a course in this area before. That said, I can't give it five stars. First, the greens were heavily overseeded. Sometimes it felt like trying to putt through a bunker. Second, they made me ride in a cart instead of walking, which is absurd (especially in late afternoon, after 90% of the day's traffic is off the course). It's a proven fact that walking is better for pace of play. Join the 21st century, guys. I'll certainly be back, and I hope when I return that Lost Key is having a five-star day. The course clearly is capable of it. But my visit wasn't one of them.

A must play

Staff was extremely friendly. Course was nearly perfect- only drawback was that they just plugged the greens, but they still played really well! All other aspects were immaculate. This is one of the nicest public courses in Florida, or anywhere for that matter.

Great time

Other than a number of lost balls we enjoyed our time

Excellent course to play

One of the best golf courses in the Pensacola area. They take great care of their course. Tight course with lots of water so you need discipline and accuracy to play here. If you don't, the course will humble you very quickly.

Best course in Pensacola

That I've played so excluding Marcus Pointe or NAS Known as Lost Ball because you must stay on fairways We'll maintained and attractive Superior kitchen when mgt gives it a chance

Tough track

Great golf course but very difficult. Great condition , staff and pace of play. Pack a few extra sleeves for this round.

Valid dates: Oct 19, 2018 - Dec 20, 2018