Lost Key Golf Club

Lost Key Golf Club is conveniently situated equidistant from the historic downtown area of Pensacola and the pristine white sand beaches of Orange Beach and the Gulf Shores. The Arnold Palmer-designed layout was Florida's first golf course to be certified as an Audubon International Silver Signature Sanctuary. It underwent a major renovation in 2006 that included the addition of 2,200 native trees, 13,000 wetland plantings, and the resurfacing of the tees, greens, fairways, and rough. The golf course now presents a formidable test for even the most seasoned golfers. The greens are large and undulating and the flat fairways are lined with trees. There are also doglegs fairways on six holes and sand bunkers on several others. Lost Key Golf Club's signature hole is the par-3 13th hole, which requires a tee shot over water to a partial island green that rolls across dramatic elevation changes.
Orange 71 4137 yards 62.5 102
Scorecard for Lost Key Golf Club
Black M: 73.9/145 578 208 390 324 439 524 205 436 396 3500 427 158 516 152 410 385 197 445 500 3190 6690
Blue M: 72.3/141 549 185 374 292 413 498 178 412 388 3289 415 147 501 147 373 372 166 430 492 3043 6332
White M: 70.2/129 507 171 368 276 375 488 169 384 357 3095 368 132 460 136 354 349 133 410 465 2807 5902
Gold M: 66.8/113 W: 71.5/131 459 147 333 221 362 447 144 349 310 2772 339 120 382 118 325 314 110 378 385 2471 5243
Red M: 65.0/109 W: 69.6/122 423 137 297 203 279 400 119 318 284 2460 307 101 377 107 320 314 103 336 382 2347 4807
Orange M: 62.5/102 W: 65.3/112 385 132 234 137 260 378 100 283 224 2133 246 101 345 100 235 239 100 295 343 2004 4137

Year Built 1997
Greens Sea Dwarf Paspalum
Architect Arnold Palmer (2006) Ed Seay

Carts Yes - included in green fee

Challenging course

Course is very tough, but scenic. Fairways are extremely tight, and there are hazards on every hole. If you come here expecting to shoot par, you’ll walk away very frustrated. Relax and enjoy the challenge this unique course offers. There were a few dead spots in the fairway and on the green, but 90% of the course was in pristine shape. I did find it odd none of the bunkers were raked. Starter initially was not very friendly after I drove past him to fill up my water bottle and to get my towel wet. However, he did let me out early. The twilight rate ($39 + tax) was reasonable, but I would not pay their regular rate which is much higher.

Mississippi Advisor

Not a Good Time

Lost Key is pretty, and its practice facility is nice, and the staff are friendly. But the course itself could not be more unenjoyable. The fairways are preposterously narrow. The hazards are EVERYWHERE (for example, the red stakes bordering the 10th green). It’s just not pleasant. I shot my handicap and couldn’t believe it, because based on the amount of fun I’d had, I figured I’d shot 110. I doubt that I’ll return.

It earned its name today - Lost Balls

It was a very windy day which added to the already high difficulty of this course. The course was in great condition with lush fairways and greens,. The greens were very nice and playable. I've played it twice, much more fair when the wind is not blowing 20+ mph.

Doesn't get mich better...

I hadn't been to this course in around 10 years as I moved away from the area but it was always my favorite course near Pensacola, just ahead of The Moors which was so unfortunately dozed for more ranch homes. I have to say, it's just as nice now as when it was new and the conditions were practically flawless. The greens looked as though they were punched not too far back but considering rolled very true and were lush and consistant. Fairways perfect. Rough perfect. Bunkers perfect. And the course layout is just an absolute blast. So challenging for a course without a ton of length but if you can miss small, you'll typically be in ok shape to make a decent score. The only thing I miss from the "old days" at Lost Key is the trailer clubhouse, outdoor grill and the original 16th and 17th holes. And maybe a few trees that were lost in Ivan. The fancy upscale golf vibe with a "beautiful" clubhouse has never been something that did anything for me and this place felt like it was about golf and golf alone in those days, versus the centerpiece of a beachy gated community which is what it is now. But that's nitpicking. If you're in Penscaola or Gulf Shores and wanna play somewhere nice, try Lost Key. It's as pretty as any golf course I've seen and the course plays every bit as good as it looks.

Ye Must Hit It Straight at Lost Key

If you are a good ball striker, then you will love this track. It is part of an Audubon nature preserve; most holes are lined on both sides by lateral hazards. Hit it off the beaten path and you're taking a penalty stroke (I lost 5 balls but found 14).

The sand bunkers are large and deep. Some are difficult to walk in and out of; a few that I encountered had not been raked by the previous golfer due to the slope.

The Bermuda greens were excellent, perfect speed and smooth.

When you make a par on any hole here, you know you've done something. If you hit it crooked, bring plenty of golf balls.

Lost Key Golf Club, Florida

I played Lost Key for the second time in a month recently. Tee to Green it is the most fun (challenging) course and best course condition in the Orange Beach - Gulf Shores area. Their greens are a little course but roll very nicely and can be very quick (Kiva Dunes has, by far, the best greens in the area). Beyond that i could find no complaints. The course is well maintained and can be described as manicured, unique in it's layout and design and affordable. it cost me $63 (tax included) for 18 holes, golf cart and range balls. Go check it out but if you cant hit the ball straight then bring an extra sleeve of balls!

Better every time

First time going to this course it put a beating on me. 4th time plating today and am beginning to understand course better. Lots of people call this lost balls. It is not a course where you can whale away with a driver every hole, nor do you need too. The course does not play long at all and a hybrid off the tee is plenty good enough on a lot of holes. Greens were just punched a few weeks ago I would say and not fully recovered yet. This is truly a great golf course. The first time will be pretty tough but it only gets better after every try. I play after 2 with my son who is 6 and we have a great time. 40$ for adult and no charge on kids. Great round for the price. Just don't expect to shoot lights out your first round and try to resist pulling out the driver every tee shot.

Challenging track - well laid out

I've now played this course for the past few weeks and feel I can give it an accurate review. I'm giving it five stars because I think this course would be great to play when the grass is out of dormancy. I don't understand why Florida/Alabama courses don't overseer like Arizona courses and it's the only thing I can find faults with this course. Some golfers I've talked with call the course "Lost Balls" but I find that if you can keep the ball relatively close to the fairway, you should enjoy it.

The greens are some of the best I've putted on in 2 months of playing gulf coast courses.

Pace of play is always really good. Today I played in 4 hours, 5 minutes. Pretty good. The staff is very friendly and usually brings a cart out to your car when you arrive.

Give this course a try and I think you'll enjoy yourself.

Valid dates: Sep 17, 2018 - Oct 31, 2018