1 reviews

Year Built 2010
Architect Jack Nicklaus (2010)

Credit Cards Accepted Yes

Entertaining Clients 10
Group Getaways 10

Liked the Course, but would never go back

We booked our outing over 9 months ago. A week before the outing, we are informed that they now have to close the course all day Friday for an outing/event, costing us two of our rounds. We saw the set-up for this event multiple tents, a stage, etc., so there is no way they found out about this event a week before. They gave us zero compensation for our inconvenience, not even a free round. The twelve of us spent thousands at the course and the Inn over the weekend.

For the cost, the course is not well maintained. Fairways and greens are a little beat up. Sand traps weren't raked. The course is fun, but we were treated poorly, and none of us would ever go back.

Commented on 09/19/2019

The group was informed over 3 weeks in advance of their arrival and attempts were made to assist in rounds nearby. They were notified as soon as the course received notice.

We've apologized numerous times for the inconvenience and it's unfortunate that you are attempting to smear our brand; your group was more than compensated.

We appreciate you coming to Harbor Shores and wish you, and the next facility you visit, the best.

Regards,

Joshua R. Doxtator
PGA General Manager

Indy Advisor

Multiple Courses in One

In the room of the hotel by the course (which I do not recommend) there was a coffee table book, and in it it quoted Nicklaus asking "where do you want me to build a course at?" Turning a former industrial wasteland in an economically depressed town can't be easy. But you play a few holes here, then drive 2 minutes, play a few holes, drive a few minutes, play a couple, drive even longer minutes, play a few, drive across busy roads at surface level, play a few more, then end like 1/2 mile from the club house. Pretty sure the holes by the lake are close to 2 miles by the club house.

As you meander along you play holes that are along several rivers/ponds, near the lake, with tons of traps, in the woods, with circus greens, and every other hitch or design feature you can imagine someone putting into a golf course. It's bizarre, honestly. An earlier review compared it to Tobacco Road, and several holes did remind me of that (especially 7-9 by the lake). But the back 9 that plays in the river bed is pretty straightforward.

Not sure if or how the pros or anyone walk this course. Would be a slow adventure if they did.The staff is very nice/professional. It's worth a go, but as others said be prepared to scratch your head a bit along the way. Enjoy the views near the lake, and try the Nicklaus/Miller putt on 10 if it doesn't hold up play.

As Advertised

This host of Senior Open promises a top shelf golfing experience, and it delivers. The course was pristine. Recreational players, with unrealistic expectations, will have some tough moments. Having a solid grip on reality, and an extra sleeve, or two of balls, made this an exceptional outing, that I hope to repeat.

Suggestion

Your Half Way House needs more staff or experienced staff; stopping the first time to purchase 4 beers took a while then coming back we stopped again & purchased 4 more beers & sausages. According to our GPS we lost about 10 minutes each time we stopped

Amazing, but Conflicting

Played as part of a golf trip across Southern Michigan. Originally scheduled at 4:00, arrived about an hour early from having played in Lansing in the AM. Clubhouse was great about getting us out as early as we desired.

Course conditions were amazing. Heavy rain had moved through the area earlier in the day and as it started to warm up we were dealing with some fog.

Very odd layout. It was fine for playing with a cart, but really not sure how they manage to host the Senior PGA there. As you have long drives between sets of 3-5 holes.

Some hole designs that just leave you somewhat clueless the first time you play them. Played Tobacco Road a few years ago and left feeling the same way. Impressed with what had been created, but not sure I wanted to go back! All-in-all, it was worth the visit while we playing that area of the country---especially for the price we paid.

Great course-Great time

From the time we arrived through our round of golf the staff and course was excellent. The course was in great shape and offered a fair challenge to each player in our foursome. Two things stood out regarding the course, the number of sand traps and the undulation of the greens. Our group will definitely be back for another round in the future.

Rangerjeff

Played on I believe 8/11/17.This course is prestine. Always said I would not pay over $70.00 to play ANY 18 holes, but would consider this course. Your first time, you dont go there to score. You just play the magnificent fairways from the right yardage for your game, and enjoy the course. The starter was very helpful in that regard. The greens are so ridiculously undulating, they were a blast to play. Two putt, and your on a role. Three putt and be happy! lol I see alot of criticism in some of the reviews, but I can speak for my foursome, that it was one of the best times we ever had, and I was low at 91 with a hdc of 8....From the grey tees. ( Except for # 9, which you'll want to play from the top, just because of the view). .but did not care what my score was because it's just a fun course to play. Hope to get back this year if I can find a good rate.

Once a Year Treat

We go to MI at least once a year & must play Harbor Shores if we can. It is spectacular! Built on reclaimed land that used to be swamp & heavy industrial; it's pristine now. Right on Lake Michigan. It's got everything: water, sand, elevation changes, woods, grasses & length! Bring your A game! It's a little pricey, but treat yourself.

Get here!

I played here with my fiance (not a golfer) the weekend we got engaged. She had a great time sipping vodka soda's and appreciating all of the landscape. That says a lot about the natural beauty around this course! A few holes, in particular, are elevated and/or overlooking the big lake. Captivating. The fairways and greens are in top shape. Every time I drive by this course I want to stop and play!

Typical Nicklaus Difficulty with Awful Routing

This is a very well maintained golf course. conditions, even in november, were pretty pristine. I am not particularly fond of many of Jack's designs and this was no exception. The biggest gripe about the course is how it is COMPELTELY UNWALKABLE. there are at least 4 transitions where you drive over 5 mins to the next tee. While the majority of golfers may not care about this at all, designing with the option of walking in mind is always appreciated in my mind. I have no idea how the Champions Tour guys walk it at the Senior PGA, there must be carts that shuttle them.

The practice area is stellar, could spend an entire morning utilizing all their facilities cause they are awesome. Course has some charm when you get to #7-9 stretch, playing out to Lake Michigan. But after those holes you drive another 5 mins to the 10th, only to begin another bland stretch of holes, then drive another 5 mins and play one memorable hole in the par 5, 15th. Besides that stretch there really wasnt any other holes worth memory.

If you did what i did and utilized the "temperature pricing" that i did then its worth the play in the fall because the conditions are still that good for the discounted rate. But overall its a course that leaves a lot to be desired with a lack of design strategy in any of the holes.

Yikes!

Do not play this course. It is beautiful. And the practice area is outstanding. The staff couldn't be nicer. But this place is one of the most bizarre and unplayable tracks I've ever been on. Deep fairway bunkers everywhere. Water hazards and thick fescue that can't be seen from the tee boxes. Long stretches between holes that take you over busy roads. And greens so sloped and strangely undulating so as to be virtually unputtable.

I generally love Nicklaus designs, but it seems like the developers of Harbor Shores said, "Hey, Jack, make us a monster. We want to make sure no one has fun here!"

We played from the Grey tees at a modest 6200 yards and nobody in my group of pretty experienced guys came within 10 shots of his handicap.

Play this one at your own risk. Only a masochist could enjoy it.

Chicago Advisor

Golf Club at Harbor Shores

The Good: Beautiful, visually stunning Jack Nicklaus design is spread throughout a huge development complex near downtown Benton Harbor. Hosted several Senior PGA tournaments even though in its infancy. Has the now typical Nicklaus rugged feel with awesome variety in Par 4's and Par 5's, with devilish, deep sand traps engulfing the course at every turn. Massive, treacherous green complexes putt true and make for a significant challenge. Pro tour caliber conditions. Extremely nice clubhouse and full restaurant. Superb on-course amenities include GPS, multiple restroom facilities, and halfway house. Practice facility is strong with nice driving range, separate short game area, and putting green.

The Bad: Starter was grumpy and on-course service was to be desired. Course layout is very awkward and winds through a retirement community and the slums of Benton Harbor all in one. Some of the greens (especially #10) are so outrageous that its laughable. $125-$150 price tag would be justified if service matched the beauty of the course. Par 3's are good but not overly memorable.

The Verdict: One of the most challenging, yet gorgeous tracks in all of Michigan. Could (and should) be a top 5 public destination in the state but is brought down by lack of staff friendliness. I can now understand why course was fairly empty on a Sunday morning.

Best Hole: There are many great holes, but without a doubt it is the short, uphill Par 4 7th. A precise drive is required to drive water and sand, with a short iron approach to a green not visible from below.

Great Championship course

Harbor Shores, is a great golf course and destination, only a short drive from Chicago, well worth the trip.

Tough greens

This is the most beautiful course in the Midwest I have played at.

Poor weather

Getting ready for PGA Champions Tournament

My third time playing course since it's inaugural opening. Good layout with hard to read greens. Hole #7 is by far the most tricky hole I've every played. The bunker that guards the green is akin to something at St. Andrews Slope of hole can make you look foolish, when the ball comes back at your feet after not carrying enough frontage. Too long and you're on the beach of Lake Michigan.

Awesome!

Just go play it!!! One of Mr. Nicklaus' finest. Beautiful!

This is a great course it will have to step up you game to score good on this course. Lots of slopes on the greens and fast.

GOOD TRACK

Look I have played everywhere in Michigan. I like HS just personsally dont like the routing. I think course is very over priced also. But I get it. It is a very nice course:)) I would recommend playing here especially for around $60..

Surprisingly slow pace

A course of this calibre must implement pace of play
There is no place for hackers here. People ahead of us were losing balls, looking for balls, playing practice balls. They belonged to a big group. Ranges were roaming around telling us that it's a slow pace but nobody asked the big group to skip a hole or keep the pace. Is that the way to operate a world class course. I was sick for 5 hours
People behind us did not finish because it was dark
Course was aerated , Which is expected thus time if a year. grille was great,Pro shop was welcoming.

Eau Claire, Michigan