The Golf Club at Harbor Shores
Grey 71 6246 yards 70.8 143
Scorecard for Harbor Shores
Black M: 74.7/143 423 174 324 209 573 417 436 384 578 3518 539 144 412 197 450 549 422 201 420 3334 6852
Grey M: 70.8/137 385 144 311 171 537 389 396 364 522 3219 493 122 378 167 418 510 380 162 397 3027 6246
Gold M: 70.0/135 W: 74.5/142 385 144 311 138 519 364 295 364 522 3042 493 122 364 154 403 510 366 162 397 2971 6013
White M: 69.1/133 W: 69.4/123 372 130 294 138 519 364 295 337 496 2945 439 109 364 154 403 477 366 142 339 2793 5738
Red W: 67.3/120 310 100 257 115 451 296 276 272 460 2537 403 89 315 126 349 408 301 109 280 2380 4917

Year Built 2010
Architect Jack Nicklaus (2010)

Credit Cards Accepted Yes

Entertaining Clients 9
Group Getaways 9

Suggestion

Your Half Way House needs more staff or experienced staff; stopping the first time to purchase 4 beers took a while then coming back we stopped again & purchased 4 more beers & sausages. According to our GPS we lost about 10 minutes each time we stopped
Staff Friendliness Good
Course Conditions Good
Course Layout Good

Amazing, but Conflicting

Played as part of a golf trip across Southern Michigan. Originally scheduled at 4:00, arrived about an hour early from having played in Lansing in the AM. Clubhouse was great about getting us out as early as we desired. Course conditions were amazing. Heavy rain had moved through the area earlier in the day and as it started to warm up we were dealing with some fog. Very odd layout. It was fine for playing with a cart, but really not sure how they manage to host the Senior PGA there. As you have long drives between sets of 3-5 holes. Some hole designs that just leave you somewhat clueless the first time you play them. Played Tobacco Road a few years ago and left feeling the same way. Impressed with what had been created, but not sure I wanted to go back! All-in-all, it was worth the visit while we playing that area of the country---especially for the price we paid.
Value for the Money Excellent

Great course-Great time

From the time we arrived through our round of golf the staff and course was excellent. The course was in great shape and offered a fair challenge to each player in our foursome. Two things stood out regarding the course, the number of sand traps and the undulation of the greens. Our group will definitely be back for another round in the future.
Value for the Money Excellent

Rangerjeff

Played on I believe 8/11/17.This course is prestine. Always said I would not pay over $70.00 to play ANY 18 holes, but would consider this course. Your first time, you dont go there to score. You just play the magnificent fairways from the right yardage for your game, and enjoy the course. The starter was very helpful in that regard. The greens are so ridiculously undulating, they were a blast to play. Two putt, and your on a role. Three putt and be happy! lol I see alot of criticism in some of the reviews, but I can speak for my foursome, that it was one of the best times we ever had, and I was low at 91 with a hdc of 8....From the grey tees. ( Except for # 9, which you'll want to play from the top, just because of the view). .but did not care what my score was because it's just a fun course to play. Hope to get back this year if I can find a good rate.
Staff Friendliness Good

Once a Year Treat

We go to MI at least once a year & must play Harbor Shores if we can. It is spectacular! Built on reclaimed land that used to be swamp & heavy industrial; it's pristine now. Right on Lake Michigan. It's got everything: water, sand, elevation changes, woods, grasses & length! Bring your A game! It's a little pricey, but treat yourself.

Get here!

I played here with my fiance (not a golfer) the weekend we got engaged. She had a great time sipping vodka soda's and appreciating all of the landscape. That says a lot about the natural beauty around this course! A few holes, in particular, are elevated and/or overlooking the big lake. Captivating. The fairways and greens are in top shape. Every time I drive by this course I want to stop and play!
Course Layout Good

Typical Nicklaus Difficulty with Awful Routing

This is a very well maintained golf course. conditions, even in november, were pretty pristine. I am not particularly fond of many of Jack's designs and this was no exception. The biggest gripe about the course is how it is COMPELTELY UNWALKABLE. there are at least 4 transitions where you drive over 5 mins to the next tee. While the majority of golfers may not care about this at all, designing with the option of walking in mind is always appreciated in my mind. I have no idea how the Champions Tour guys walk it at the Senior PGA, there must be carts that shuttle them. The practice area is stellar, could spend an entire morning utilizing all their facilities cause they are awesome. Course has some charm when you get to #7-9 stretch, playing out to Lake Michigan. But after those holes you drive another 5 mins to the 10th, only to begin another bland stretch of holes, then drive another 5 mins and play one memorable hole in the par 5, 15th. Besides that stretch there really wasnt any other holes worth memory. If you did what i did and utilized the "temperature pricing" that i did then its worth the play in the fall because the conditions are still that good for the discounted rate. But overall its a course that leaves a lot to be desired with a lack of design strategy in any of the holes.
Course Layout Fair

Yikes!

Do not play this course. It is beautiful. And the practice area is outstanding. The staff couldn't be nicer. But this place is one of the most bizarre and unplayable tracks I've ever been on. Deep fairway bunkers everywhere. Water hazards and thick fescue that can't be seen from the tee boxes. Long stretches between holes that take you over busy roads. And greens so sloped and strangely undulating so as to be virtually unputtable. I generally love Nicklaus designs, but it seems like the developers of Harbor Shores said, "Hey, Jack, make us a monster. We want to make sure no one has fun here!" We played from the Grey tees at a modest 6200 yards and nobody in my group of pretty experienced guys came within 10 shots of his handicap. Play this one at your own risk. Only a masochist could enjoy it.
Chicago Advisor

Golf Club at Harbor Shores

The Good: Beautiful, visually stunning Jack Nicklaus design is spread throughout a huge development complex near downtown Benton Harbor. Hosted several Senior PGA tournaments even though in its infancy. Has the now typical Nicklaus rugged feel with awesome variety in Par 4's and Par 5's, with devilish, deep sand traps engulfing the course at every turn. Massive, treacherous green complexes putt true and make for a significant challenge. Pro tour caliber conditions. Extremely nice clubhouse and full restaurant. Superb on-course amenities include GPS, multiple restroom facilities, and halfway house. Practice facility is strong with nice driving range, separate short game area, and putting green. The Bad: Starter was grumpy and on-course service was to be desired. Course layout is very awkward and winds through a retirement community and the slums of Benton Harbor all in one. Some of the greens (especially #10) are so outrageous that its laughable. $125-$150 price tag would be justified if service matched the beauty of the course. Par 3's are good but not overly memorable. The Verdict: One of the most challenging, yet gorgeous tracks in all of Michigan. Could (and should) be a top 5 public destination in the state but is brought down by lack of staff friendliness. I can now understand why course was fairly empty on a Sunday morning. Best Hole: There are many great holes, but without a doubt it is the short, uphill Par 4 7th. A precise drive is required to drive water and sand, with a short iron approach to a green not visible from below.
Staff Friendliness Fair