Lonnie Poole Golf Course

Year Built 2009
Architect Arnold Palmer (2009)

Golf Simulator Yes
Practice Hole Yes

Credit Cards Accepted Yes
Dress code No denim, cut off shorts, bathing suits or tank tops may be worn while using the golf facilities. A collared shirt must be worn at all times.

Clubhouse

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 College Courses in the U.S. (2019 #21)
  • Golf Advisor: Top Courses in North Carolina (2017 #20)

Plays Long 31
Entertaining Clients 21
On a College Campus 39

Great Condition

Fairways and greens were excellent. A tough, but fun, course. One of the best in the area.

Excellent Course, tough for hackers

First let me say that I loved the course....the only reason giving it 4 stars instead of 5 is because it's not the easiest layout for a hacker like me or like most of the guys I play with. That being said, I prefer more challenging courses and this is definitely one of them. If you're not proficient with sand saves, you will be when done with this course!! If you're planning on walking, know that there are a couple of holes that are very far from tee to green and with the hills, it's definitely a hike. It is a little on the pricey side, but I don't usually mind paying more for a quality course and quality conditions, and this is both. Very challenging course if you're a hacker like me, but overall I was very satisfied and would love to play this course again.

Go Pack!!

The course was in fantastic condition. Pace of play was a little slow. Will definitely come back to play again.

Awesome

Gorgeous facility, awesome course, very friendly staff. For a course with little water I still lost balls in the high rough, keep it straight! Great mix of difficulty followed by “easy” holes. Played from the Wolfpack tees and would recommend for first time players at NCSU to get a feel for the course. I will be back!

Ride don’t walk

Once on the hole it’s great, but some of the tees are a long ways far from greens!

Commented on 06/18/2020

Hi, thanks for leaving us a review! We're glad you enjoyed your time at Lonnie Poole Golf Course at North Carolina State University and hope you'll come see us again soon.

Commented on 06/08/2020

Hi, thank you so much for the great review. We are glad you had an incredible time, and we hope to see you again soon! Thanks for choosing Lonnie Poole Golf Course at North Carolina State University.

Commented on 06/08/2020

Great course- a must play

Course was still great following aeration. Fairways are fast, bunkers are in great condition, pace was right around 4:15. Views of Raleigh add a great touch to the experience.

Commented on 06/08/2020

Thank you for your review, Mcgolder. We will pass along your positive experience to our team at Lonnie Poole Golf Course at North Carolina State University. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Amazing

It is so wonderful course. And i feel really enjoyed.

Commented on 06/08/2020

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Lonnie Poole Golf Course at North Carolina State University!

Commented on 06/08/2020

Good course, could be great with better pacing

I love this course, I really do. I'm a long driver with a draw, and so many holes on this course play to my strengths, and I've played it probably 20+ times. However, the pace of play is usually atrocious. I have had numerous 5.5-6 hour rounds out here that are just a slog to get through. Definitely a lot of younger kids playing in the twilight times that don't understand ready golf (got stuck behind a 4some that would all watch each other hit without walking to their balls etc), and just general slow play from a lot of people. Greens are usually a battlefield full of unfixed ball marks which can be quite irritating for the price you pay.

If LP can work on their pacing, enforce pace of play much more strictly, and push the "Ready golf" mentality on those packed full days, this course could really turn in to some of the best value for your money in the area. I would come play twilight rounds all the dang time if I knew I could get 18 holes in on a 430 tee time. Please improve the pace of play!

Commented on 05/27/2020

Thank you for taking the time to review us. Your feedback is valuable, and we look forward to delivering you excellent service again soon. Lonnie Poole Golf Course at North Carolina State University thanks you!

Great track... getting better every year!

I have been playing LP for over 10 years now... and it's been a real treat to see this course evolve into a true gem. For years people have spoken of LP at the 3rd best college course in the area... today... I hear more and more people rate it right up there... if not above Duke GC.
I am a walker and this course has a couple of long treks from green to tee early in the round, but from the 3rd tee on this is a wonderful walking course. The back nine is one of the best walks in the Triangle!
Great variety of holes and shot selections... my favorites are the very tough #5... and the back to back strength of 11 and 12. 11 is one of the best par 5's around... with amazing views of most of the back nine and Raleigh skyline in the distance. And the finish on 18 is as good as it gets!
The course is awesome, but the staff makes this place my golf home. Chip and Nick and their entire team run a great course... they have been a true life saver keeping the course open and in the most amazing shape the last 12 weeks of Covid-19!
I would recommend LP to any player... and if you want to really test your game move to the Black or State tees for all your can handle.

Definitely a unique course

Course was in excellent shape and I was more concerned about the cart turning off when I was “in a restricted area.” I am sorry for driving in the rough about two yards from the fairway. The layout is confusing if you have not played the course before. For Example, #2 & #8 and #4 & #6 are very likely to make you have to think rather than just follow the path.

The course does have several moments of awe-inspiring nature and a great view of downtown.

Will play again only when less than $60. With prices upwards of $80—-you are better off playing UNC Finley in Chapel Hill.

Commented on 05/27/2020

Hi, we appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Lonnie Poole Golf Course at North Carolina State University.

Great day golf

Great course, bring down to reality, after playing other course which make feel good, this course is real thing< pace play was good and course good condition. Don’t have be long hitter but need be accurate ball striker,once again hD good day golfing even kn bad holes hard get upset.

Cary, North Carolina