Lonnie Poole Golf Course at North Carolina State University

Practice hole: Yes
Indoor practice facilities: Yes
Simulator: Yes

Dress code: No denim, cut off shorts, bathing suits or tank tops may be worn while using the golf facilities. A collared shirt must be worn at all times.
Credit cards accepted: Yes

Competition 72 7358 yards 74.4 142
Wolfpack 72 6027 yards 68.5 122
Wolfpack (W) 72 6027 yards 73.5 134
Gray 72 5508 yards 66.1 111
Gray (W) 72 5508 yards 70.6 123
Pink 72 4869 yards 63.2 100
Pink (W) 72 4869 yards 67.1 115

Location is convenient to the city on a college campus near the airport   Great for advanced golfers a weekend splurge entertaining clients   Challenges include elevation changes bunkers plays long   Great for drinks patio dining dinner

"Challenging but Fun and Fair"

1Morgan1's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/16/2018

Bent greens had been verticut in past week. A little slow, inconsistent in speed. Rest of course in very good condition. Several collars around greens had been newly sodded. Love Lonnie but they really need to change to Bermuda greens.....the bent grass just doesn't tolerate NC summer heat. Probably won't play it again until mid-Sept when the nite temps drop.

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 07/18/2018:

Hello, thank you for the four-star review! We are glad that you enjoyed your round of golf at our course. We appreciate your feedback, and we look forward to having you back.

"Great course, but..."

dapr's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/15/2018

My son and I were excited to play this course together for the first time. As we were about to tee off, we were joined by another father (a member) and son... the son was 6. The young beginning “golfer” hit, or tried to hit, multiple tee shots on each hole and then whiffed, shanked and topped his way down the fairway. We endured this for 18 holes. It was not the experience we expected at a championship course with hefty green fees.

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 07/18/2018:

Hello, thank you for the four stars! We are sorry to hear that your pairing did not match your handicap. We hope that you were still able to enjoy the layout, and we hope that you will come back to Lonnie Poole Golf Course soon.

"Best course in the Raleigh-Durham Area"

u000001212083's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/12/2018

Besides being one of the best courses in Central NC it also has tremendous views of the surrounding Raleigh area. Favorite course to play .

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 07/17/2018:

Hello, thank you for the five stars! We are happy to hear that you found Lonnie Poole Golf Course the best course in Raleigh-Durham and that you enjoyed the views. We appreciate you stopping by, and we can't wait to have you back again soon.

"Great day of golf"

Rick4434712's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/11/2018

Treated great. Conditions were very good. Couldn't have asked for anything better.

Commented on 07/13/2018

Hello Rick, thank you for the five stars! We are happy to hear that you found our course in great shape and had a positive experience with our staff. Thanks for stopping by, and we hope to see you again soon!

"Challenging course, great conditions, pace of play poor"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/11/2018

I thought the course was in great shape, extremely well maintained. But, pace of play was a problem. It was not a busy day there but there was a very slow twosome in front of us and the marshals, who were quite visible, did nothing to move play along. On a day when temperature was in the mid nineties, having to wait on every hole really detracts from the experience of this beautiful, challenging and well maintained course.

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 07/13/2018:

Hello, thank you for the three-star review. We are sorry to hear that you experienced poor pace of play, but we are glad that you found it in great shape. Your feedback is important to us, and we hope to see you again soon.

"Better greens for a 5th star"

longball27518's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/03/2018

The greens had been verticut and dressed a few weeks back, so they were hairy, soft and slow. On several occasions the ball plugged on the greens. I appreciate he fact that they were keeping them that way in the very hot weather, but would prefer the green speeds to be faster. Overall always a joy to play this track.

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 07/05/2018:

Hello, thank you for the four-star review. We appreciate your feedback regarding the greens, but we hope that you enjoyed your overall round of golf. Come back again soon!

"Very nice"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/18/2018

Outstanding course that’s getting a little work done around the greens. One small complaint about the greens staff, in that there more than a little rude. They don’t get out of the way when your trying to hit up to the greens they are working on, and fly around on there carts while your trying to hit. Obviously not golfers. We even had one guy nearly hit us with his cart , really dump behavior . Otherwise it’s a beautiful place.

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 06/25/2018:

Hello and thank you for coming out to the Lonnie Poole Golf Course here in Raleigh. Thank you for the 5 stars! We apologize about how we missed the mark with our greens-keepers. We will make sure to pass this feedback on to our staff, and we hope that you see improvements the next time you are with us. Thanks again for the review, and we must thank you again for the 5 stars.

"One of my favorites"

loganc5512's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/12/2018

LP is a fun and challenging layout. The conditions are typically good, and there is an abundance of tees. One of the best in the area.

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 06/15/2018:

Hello Logan, thank you for the four stars! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our challenging layout and found our course in overall good condition. We appreciate your feedback, and we can't wait to see you again soon.

"Collars are dead"

mmberger123's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/03/2018
Previously played Walked Hot weather Verified Purchaser

For a course that has the resources that NCSU has, along with a turf management program, they have somehow allowed all the collars around the greens to die. There is a good one to two fee around each green with nothing but dirt. They notified everyone in advance that they had aerated the greens but it just did not seem as though there was a lot of grass covering all the greens as other courses in the area. For the money they ask to play this course, it really should be in much better shape. If I am not mistaken they just held the NCAA men's regionals just a few weeks ago at the course.

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 06/08/2018:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course. We are sorry to hear that you had a poor experience on our course. We just want to let you know that we are fixing the collars as we speak. We appreciate your feedback!

"Lived up to the Hype"

Murdoch8814's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/02/2018
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Not much to say that hasn't already been said. Only downer about the round was that they just punched the greens so putting was not as fun as I had hoped. Otherwise great course; difficult, but multiple opportunities to score, and some really fun decisions especially on par 5s, of which there are plenty.

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 06/08/2018:

Hello, thank you for the five stars! We are sorry to hear that you played our course when it was recently aerated, but we are glad that you enjoyed our course layout and had a fun time. We appreciate your feedback, and we hope to see you again soon.

Stephanie5390952's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2018

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 05/30/2018:

Hello Stephanie, thank you for the five stars! We are glad to hear that you found our course in great shape! Thanks for stopping by, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

"Bad greens and Aprons"

Pargolf2014's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/10/2018

Bad greens and Aprons. No grass at all on the aprons, greens were wicked fast at times, not consistent.

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 05/15/2018:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback. We are sorry that you found our course in subpar shape. Our greens are fast for the NCAA Regional, and our aprons will be repaired this summer after the event since we could not put sod down before NCAA. We hope this clarifies your concerns.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/05/2018

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 05/08/2018:

Hello, thank you for the five stars! We are glad to see that you had a great round of golf with us. Come back again soon!

"Probably won't ever come back"

reedtisdal's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/04/2018

Have played this course several times and enjoyed it, but after my last round, I had such a bad experience I probably won't ever go back. Round would've been easily more than 5.5hours. From #6 on, we were waiting on every hole. Pace of play was horrendous. After making the turn there were 3 groups on each hole we were on (one on the tee, one in the fairway, and one on the green). The foursome in front of us frequently had everyone in the group looking for one persons ball. On #11 we called the proshop just to inform them of the pace (we were 40 minutes behind according to the GPS) hoping to entice the groups to at least play ready golf. Nothing was done. Usually I'm not one to complain but this was ridiculous. The two people we were paired with picked up after hole 15 and left. After 5 hours into our round we did the same after 16. If we hadn't have paid $85 for a green fee we would've picked up sooner. Just a very bad experience on a good golf course...

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 05/15/2018:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback regarding your recent experience. We are sorry to hear that you experienced slow pace of play. Your feedback is important to us, and we hope that you will give us another chance in the future.

"Unique Layout"

1Morgan1's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/02/2018

Poole is different....lots of elevation, side hill lies.

Greens in very good condition (Bent Grass). Fairways still a bit thin but greening up. Native grass is being allowed to thrive! Tee boxes on most of the par 3's are marginal at best. Choose the tees you play based on your true handicap....this course can bring you to your knees if you overextend!

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 05/08/2018:

Hello, thank you for the four stars! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our course layout and found our course to be in overall good shape. Thanks for stopping by, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Mmacafee's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/26/2018

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 04/30/2018:

Hello, thank you for the five stars! We are happy to see that you had a great round of golf out there. Thanks for stopping by, and we hope to see you again soon.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/24/2018

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 04/27/2018:

Hello Justin, thank you for the five stars! We are happy to see that you had a pleasant golfing experience with us the other day. We appreciate you stopping by, and we hope to see you again soon.

"Nice"

aaustin's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/23/2018

This is always a fun course to play, tricky, but fun. It’s certainly in better shape than most courses I’ve played lately. There are some rough spots, but few and far between, and they didn’t seem to effect play.

The staff seemed friendlier than usual.

Only issue, staff advised me to attempt to pair up with the tee time just before my own, no problem. I arrived to the starter 7 minutes prior to my new tee time, and they were sent out early. The starter rushed me off the tee to catch up with them; not really how I like to start my round considering I was plenty early, and it’s wasn’t even my original tee time. I make note of this because I’ve ran into similar issues here before.

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 04/26/2018:

Hello Austin, thank you for the four stars! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our course layout and had a great time out there. We appreciate your feedback regarding the starter, and we hope to see you again soon.

"Recovering"

Tattride's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2018

I always enjoy playing here

Course in tough shape

Very little grass and extremely challenging

Greens rolled true and fast

It seemed like the harsh weather beat up the course and especially the fairways which were struggling

The course needs recovery and should have been overseeded

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 04/24/2018:

Hello, thank you for the three stars. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy our course as much as previous times. Our fairways are not 100% green yet because of our below normal temperatures, but the playability of them is exceptional. They are greening up more every day and should be completely green in the coming weeks. We want to take the time to make sure you understand why we do not overseed. It does not fit our sustainability model and by not overseeding, we are able to give you better playing conditions in the fall as well as in June and July. We hope this helps explains some of your concerns. We hope to see you again soon!

"Like the Natural Areas"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/13/2018
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

This was my 1st time playing Lonnie Pool. I like the natural areas and the extreme slopes that you can use to make shots. The course was in average condition, which isn't unexpected for early April. The greens were in good shape and rolling fast.

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 04/17/2018:

Hello, thank you for the three-star review. We are glad to hear that you had an enjoyable round of golf with us the other day. We appreciate your feedback, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.