Lonnie Poole Golf Course at North Carolina State University

Practice hole: Yes
Indoor practice facilities: Yes
Simulator: Yes

Dress code: No denim, cut off shorts, bathing suits or tank tops may be worn while using the golf facilities. A collared shirt must be worn at all times.
Credit cards accepted: Yes

Competition 72 7358 yards 74.4 142
Wolfpack 72 6027 yards 68.5 122
Wolfpack (W) 72 6027 yards 73.5 134
Gray 72 5508 yards 66.1 111
Gray (W) 72 5508 yards 70.6 123
Pink 72 4869 yards 63.2 100
Pink (W) 72 4869 yards 67.1 115

Location is convenient to the city on a college campus near the airport   Great for advanced golfers a weekend splurge entertaining clients   Challenges include elevation changes bunkers plays long   Great for drinks patio dining dinner

"Bad greens and Aprons"

Pargolf2014's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/10/2018

Bad greens and Aprons. No grass at all on the aprons, greens were wicked fast at times, not consistent.

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 05/15/2018:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback. We are sorry that you found our course in subpar shape. Our greens are fast for the NCAA Regional, and our aprons will be repaired this summer after the event since we could not put sod down before NCAA. We hope this clarifies your concerns.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/05/2018

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 05/08/2018:

Hello, thank you for the five stars! We are glad to see that you had a great round of golf with us. Come back again soon!

"Probably won't ever come back"

reedtisdal's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/04/2018

Have played this course several times and enjoyed it, but after my last round, I had such a bad experience I probably won't ever go back. Round would've been easily more than 5.5hours. From #6 on, we were waiting on every hole. Pace of play was horrendous. After making the turn there were 3 groups on each hole we were on (one on the tee, one in the fairway, and one on the green). The foursome in front of us frequently had everyone in the group looking for one persons ball. On #11 we called the proshop just to inform them of the pace (we were 40 minutes behind according to the GPS) hoping to entice the groups to at least play ready golf. Nothing was done. Usually I'm not one to complain but this was ridiculous. The two people we were paired with picked up after hole 15 and left. After 5 hours into our round we did the same after 16. If we hadn't have paid $85 for a green fee we would've picked up sooner. Just a very bad experience on a good golf course...

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 05/15/2018:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback regarding your recent experience. We are sorry to hear that you experienced slow pace of play. Your feedback is important to us, and we hope that you will give us another chance in the future.

"Unique Layout"

1Morgan1's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/02/2018

Poole is different....lots of elevation, side hill lies.

Greens in very good condition (Bent Grass). Fairways still a bit thin but greening up. Native grass is being allowed to thrive! Tee boxes on most of the par 3's are marginal at best. Choose the tees you play based on your true handicap....this course can bring you to your knees if you overextend!

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 05/08/2018:

Hello, thank you for the four stars! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our course layout and found our course to be in overall good shape. Thanks for stopping by, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Mmacafee's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/26/2018

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 04/30/2018:

Hello, thank you for the five stars! We are happy to see that you had a great round of golf out there. Thanks for stopping by, and we hope to see you again soon.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/24/2018

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 04/27/2018:

Hello Justin, thank you for the five stars! We are happy to see that you had a pleasant golfing experience with us the other day. We appreciate you stopping by, and we hope to see you again soon.

"Nice"

aaustin's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/23/2018

This is always a fun course to play, tricky, but fun. It’s certainly in better shape than most courses I’ve played lately. There are some rough spots, but few and far between, and they didn’t seem to effect play.

The staff seemed friendlier than usual.

Only issue, staff advised me to attempt to pair up with the tee time just before my own, no problem. I arrived to the starter 7 minutes prior to my new tee time, and they were sent out early. The starter rushed me off the tee to catch up with them; not really how I like to start my round considering I was plenty early, and it’s wasn’t even my original tee time. I make note of this because I’ve ran into similar issues here before.

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 04/26/2018:

Hello Austin, thank you for the four stars! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our course layout and had a great time out there. We appreciate your feedback regarding the starter, and we hope to see you again soon.

"Recovering"

Tattride's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2018

I always enjoy playing here

Course in tough shape

Very little grass and extremely challenging

Greens rolled true and fast

It seemed like the harsh weather beat up the course and especially the fairways which were struggling

The course needs recovery and should have been overseeded

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 04/24/2018:

Hello, thank you for the three stars. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy our course as much as previous times. Our fairways are not 100% green yet because of our below normal temperatures, but the playability of them is exceptional. They are greening up more every day and should be completely green in the coming weeks. We want to take the time to make sure you understand why we do not overseed. It does not fit our sustainability model and by not overseeding, we are able to give you better playing conditions in the fall as well as in June and July. We hope this helps explains some of your concerns. We hope to see you again soon!

"Like the Natural Areas"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/13/2018
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

This was my 1st time playing Lonnie Pool. I like the natural areas and the extreme slopes that you can use to make shots. The course was in average condition, which isn't unexpected for early April. The greens were in good shape and rolling fast.

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 04/17/2018:

Hello, thank you for the three-star review. We are glad to hear that you had an enjoyable round of golf with us the other day. We appreciate your feedback, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

"great course"

Michael4687095's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/11/2018

really enjoyed this course. lots of bunkers. course was in good condition. definitely makes you think off the tee. had some tight lies around the greens but it made it more of a links style course.

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 04/17/2018:

Hello Michael, thank you for the five stars! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our course and found it in good shape. We appreciate your feedback, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

"Great Course"

Jgalioto's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/11/2018

Think one best courses in Raleigh area,great layout bunkers on almost every hole so have playbthe correct club, at least give practice in fairway bunkers. Got twilight rate as usually little more expensive than other area courses , but play Heritage lot and think this course better, also think better layout than Finley, but all three of those courses are real nice play. Course crowed but finish four hours. If get chance well worth the experience

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 04/17/2018:

Hello, thank you for the four-star review! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our course layout and had an overall great experience. We appreciate your thoughtful feedback, and we can't wait to see you again soon.

zachuey's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/17/2018

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 03/20/2018:

Hello Zach, thank you for the four stars! We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed our course layout and found it in overall great shape. We appreciate you stopping by, and we hope to see you again soon.

"Conditions"

Bauer1030's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/13/2018

The course I could tell had a great layout but the one issue that we had were the greens. They were airrated and very bumpy. Along with the tee boxes appeared to be struggling but it was early in the season.

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 03/16/2018:

Hello, thank you for the three-star review. We recently aerated so please expect recovery conditions. But, be sure to come back next time to get the full experience!

"Fun day difficult conditions"

tourchamp2001's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/11/2018

Went out as a single. Met up with some great guys on the first tee that had never played the course. We had a good day even with rain and wind. They loved the course. Even the aerified greens were rolling very true. I always love coming to this course just to see the downtown Raleigh skyline. The layout requires complete accuracy due to the many bunkers and native grass areas lining the course.

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 03/15/2018:

Hello, thank you for the five stars! We are thrilled to hear that you still had an enjoyable time even with the aerated greens! We appreciate your feedback, and we can't wait to have you back again soon.

"Golfnow needs to include course descriptions"

mbmc16's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/05/2018

When I booked the hot deal for $28.00 I thought I had booked a fantastic deal. I have played Lonnie in the past and absolutely love the course, despite the price normally being steep and the staff never coming off very friendly. However this review is specifically for the golfnow services. The greens were being aerated that day and I was not informed until I arrived, this making the price make more sense. This was not appreciated at all and hope that golfnow does something to make this clear in the future.

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 03/09/2018:

Hello, thank you for the five stars. We are sorry to hear that you were not alerted that our greens were aerated. Your feedback is important to us, and we hope to see you again soon.

"Long and strong"

Tattride's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/15/2018

Black tees are all you want with the driving distances requiring length and precision. The course is penalizing on errant shots and you must be patient and know your distance. Several par 5's are 3 shots minimum from back tees and the wind can cause havoc in the par three's protected from the wind below the trees. There are several long par fours that require approach from the tee versus driver every hole. The views of downtown are quintessential for those out of town guests wanting an authentic Raleigh experience. The staff are always professional and courteous and the driving range and amenities are top notch. A must play for NC residents and out of town guests- excellent experience but tough course!

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 02/20/2018:

Hello, thank you for the five-star review! We appreciate you providing us your detailed analysis of our course layout and are glad that you had a great experience with both our course and staff! Thanks for playing Lonnie Poole Golf Course, and we can't wait to have you back again soon.

"Amazing deal"

Chris4994327's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/13/2018

This course is known around the triangle as one of the most pristine public courses in the area. Great staff and fantastic amenities made my first time playing this course one to remember, even if the weather wasn’t cooperative. Hands down one of the most challenging courses I’ve played from the tips at ~7300 yds. The course offers wide fairways with well placed bunkers that makes you think about your shots. Greens were slow as expected in February but still in great shape considering the very wet weather of late. An unbelievable value with the hot deal price nonetheless. Looking forward to playing this course again during the peak season!

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 02/20/2018:

Hello Chris, thank you for the four stars! We are thrilled to hear that you had such an enjoyable golfing experience with us the other day and that you found our staff friendly. We appreciate you leaving us your detailed feedback, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

"WOW"

coachpuregolf's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/12/2018

From the moment you pull into this place, you feel GAME On! The staff was extremely friendly offered wonderful suggestions on playing the course cinsid ring it was my first time, and then allowed the magic to unfolded! I truly felt like I was playing against the KING God bless the dead! Also be sure to Bri g a bunker for you’ll see plenty to remind you to play fearless golf. While this course did test my skill level I felt it was fair and reasonable if you understood your game and checked your ego at the first tee! Can’t wait to play again just one awesome experience! Sincerely BLACK MEN DO GOLF!

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 02/15/2018:

Hello, thank you for the amazing five-star review! We are thrilled to hear that you had a friendly and helpful experience with our staff, as well as an overall great time out on our course. Thanks for stopping by, and we can't wait to have you back soon.

bthough's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/08/2018
First time playing Used cart Cold weather Verified Purchaser

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 02/15/2018:

Hello, thank you for the four-star review! We are happy to see that you enjoyed our course layout and found it to be in good shape. We appreciate you stopping by, and we hope to see you again soon.

bsmith121's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/02/2018

Response from Lonnie Poole Golf Course on 02/08/2018:

Hello, thank you for the five stars! We are thrilled to hear that you found our course challenging, yet still fun. Thanks for stopping by, and we look forward to your return in the future.