John A. White Golf Course

Red M: 30.3/107 W: 31.4/108 341 117 208 402 197 100 143 78 319 1905 1905
Handicap 2 6 8 3 7 4 5 9 1
Par 5 3 4 5 4 3 4 3 4 35 35

Year Built 1929
Architect Bob Cupp (1999) Billy Fuller (1999)

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Georgia (2016 #23)

One of the better public courses, well maintained

This 9-hole golf course is one of the better maintained public golf courses in the area. The cost is reasonable, especiallly if you book at the tees times that are offered at half price-- Mondady - Friday..

The course offers challeges for the beginner. I can't speak for the advanced golfer, but I'm sure even the more advanced golfer will enjoy the course. Great to have a golf course in southwest Atlanta.

Great Course 4 the Price$$. Has 2b Hard keeping up a 9 hole Course but it stays Well kept. 1 or 2 Greens that need Help but that's Most Courses.

Perfect for what it is.

Great little track for getting 9 holes in. Staff is awesome and makes sure you know the course. It is a complicated little track. Greens have a lot of breaks. Some hidden places to avoid off the tee. Will go back and try to score better.

First Tee golf course

To call the John A. White management "an embarrassment to the sport" (as a previous comment did) is foolish, bad experience or not. It clearly shows that you don't know the management. This is a First Tee golf course in a seriously underserved area of the City of Atlanta. It's a little rough around the edges but overall the course is in great shape and they work hard to keep it that way. To have a course of this caliber in this area is a win for the area and golf. And what it does for the kids is a huge win, so I GLADLY look past the minor inconveniences because that's what they are. Sorry but the management jab comment reminded me of when people go to a fast food restaurant and complain about the service. I'm not saying we all don't deserve great service at fast food restaurants, but when you don't get it, you understand why, or you should. In other words, I might complain to the management of John A. White in person, but to do so on Golf Advisor will only keep much-needed money from reaching the First Tee kids. That's irresponsible if not plain selfish. If you're sensitive to such "terrible" service, just play your golf in the wealthier areas. Now, the course, the land wasn't perfect to begin with, GA red clay, hills and a decent-sized valley, there's a giant drainage spillway that runs through it (but no smell, per my experience), yet they ended up with quite a nice and playable 9-hole course. The fairways have good grass. Many elevation changes. And it can quickly become challenging if you're off your game a little. And hole #9 is a tough finish if you have a score going. The greens are great, only a few have bad spots. Tee boxes are getting there. Personally, when I drive through this part of town and come upon John A. White, I'm always happy to see this green gem sitting there. Don't give up on these guys and gals. Support the First Tee and their positive values. This part of the City of Atlanta needs it, golf needs it, our entire society needs it.

Commented On 07/03/2018

We appreciate your support immensely. We look at ourselves as community stewards of sorts, and we are very thankful that you recognize that, our purpose, and our mission. We look forward to seeing you out again soon!

This is what the game is all about

I recently moved to Atlanta from Chicago (where I played 95% of my golf at a Top 100 club I belonged to or was a guest of) and have yet to find a regular place to play. This is one of the closer courses to get to from Midtown and while the neighborhood may be a little rough around the edges, this is a really fun golf course. As a big fan of golf course architecture (Bob Cupp's work is always great and he was an amazing gentleman to boot), the holes here are fun and you can play most of them in several different ways. There is risk/reward to be had on all but one hole and the greens are usually in pretty nice shape. Sometimes the course can get a little wet, because of where it sits, but that isn't anybody's fault, it happens at the nicest clubs in the country from time to time. The staff here is overly friendly and I really enjoy scooting over here to hit a few balls off of a grass range (a rarity close to the city) and play a fun 9 holes after work. For $12 to walk, you really can't beat it. If you want perfect conditions, go pay big bucks for it somewhere else. Golf courses aren't supposed to be perfect, they're supposed to be fun. And this place has fun in spades, give it a look some time, I think you'll be glad you did.

Christophe,

Thank you very much for your kind words in regards to our facility. We strive to give our customers the best experience possible, and we realize that by playing public courses, you do have options. Thank you for coming to visit us and we hope that you add us into your rotation!

Terrible Management

The course management staff is an embarrassment to the sport. I arrived to the course at 7:50 for a 8:20 tee time and the gate (clubhouse) was locked. My two-some and several other players sat outside the gates of the course until the staff arrived at 8:55 to open up. A few of the other guys stated that this happens quite often. This is terrible management. The course could get more customers and improve its revenue if the owners and managers put more effort into improving its operations.

Hallwa,

First, let me apologize for your bad experience. As a nonprofit organization with a small staff, and responsibilities all over Atlanta, there are occasionally times when our opening of the facility is delayed.

If you'd like, please visit www.jawgc.com/staff/ and email our Director of Golf, identify yourself and the date on which you played, and he will reply to you with an offer in good faith.

Thank you for your patronage!

Hidden gem!

Great course. Lots of Par 4s and 5s for an executive course in th city and not too crowded. Great time!

Repair work going on

The course is being arafication so its worth the dollar for now.

Good Course/ Bad Course Manager

Overall this is a nice 9 hole course. Very well maintained. It has issues (bad spots) on some greens but most courses do. I prefer 18 hole courses but I play this course for the value. Usually book the "hot deals" on GolfNow. Course Manager seems to have an issue with that. I booked two tee times on the same day, He accused me of "abusing the system". Said I should have reserved one tee-time, then paid him if I wanted to play another 9 holes. A month or so ago this same Manager complained that his course doesn't make any money on "hot deals" and suggested that I start paying full price so his course could make more money. My explanation was that i book the best deal to save myself the most money as I am retired on a fixed income. To accuse me off "abusing the system" I thought was very rude, arrogant and unprofessional. I reported this to Golfnow and they agree with me. You can book as many tee-times as you wish! They promised a district Manager would look into this matter.

Jay2911332,

I understand your frustrations. Please accept this public apology. Your patronage is appreciated - please keep an eye out for an email from me as a good faith effort to correct my mistake.

Thank you!

1st Tee Disgrace

This course is an absolute disgrace to the 1st Tee program. I hadn't played here in a while and I was reminded why, today. The course is full of weeds and the greens are barely playable. Greens on 8 & 9 aren't even worth putting on. If you live really close and are simply desperate to get out and swing then, you might find this worth your time. Otherwise, I would pass on this course. ,

Chef,

Appreciate your passion.

We've recently patched in 8 and 9 greens with sod, and have let them grow in recently in order to ensure their health come Spring time. We hear your concerns, and we've worked to correct that. With new golf course equipment on the way, as well as a new cart fleet, we're confident that 2018 will be a very solid year for our facility. Please come out and see us in the when the weather breaks. Hopefully you will like what you see and add us back into your rotation. Thanks!

Fun Intown 9 hole Golf Course

I like this course. It is a fast paced 9 holes which I usually play in about an hour 15 minutes. Par 36, fairways good, Greens 6/10, Tees good. Friendly staff

Wayne,

Thank you for your continued support of our facility!

Plays Twice a year

John A. White Bargain Golf

John A. White is a fantastic value 9 hole course. I've found the greens suffer a good bit in the summer, but have been quite good in the spring and fall.

Rowl,

With new golf course equipment on the way, as well as a new golf car fleet, we're confident your experience next time will be better than you had last time. Please come see us when the weather breaks!

Nice layout / poor conditions

This is a pretty nice nine hole golf course, however the condition of the greens are poor. I played the course today because it was rated 3.5 stars. I play golf all over the Atlanta area 2-3 times a week and I can tell you that this course should be rated no higher than a 1.5 stars. I understand that it’s winter time now, but course conditions still matter to golfers and should be rated accordingly.

Hallwa,

Needless to say, we had a rough winter. But here's what I can also tell you: we've plugged the greens on 8 & 9, removed some trees, have some new golf course equipment on the way AND a brand new cart fleet. 2018 looks very promising (if Mother Nature agrees of course) and we'd love if you were to come out and give us a try and see our progress.

Thanks for visiting!