Spread across 218 acres, the Ron Kern-designed Purgatory Golf Club is the longest par-72 course east of the Mississippi River. Nevertheless, the course is set up to be enjoyed by all, with six different sets of tees ranging from more than 7,700 yards all the way down to just under 4,600 yards. Bunkering is one of the club's defining features, with more than 130 coming into play. Nowhere is this more apparent than on the par-3 17th, where eight massive bunkers almost completely surround the putting surface.

Purgatory Golf Club
Purgatory 72 7754 yards 78.1 142
Green (W) 72 5683 yards 73.4 126
Yellow (W) 72 4562 yards 66.9 115
Scorecard for Purgatory Golf Club
Purgatory M: 78.1/142 373 462 197 473 551 434 231 487 579 3787 473 406 235 741 469 453 474 173 543 3967 7754
Black M: 76.1/137 361 442 173 445 533 417 212 481 561 3625 449 390 202 590 454 434 441 159 524 3643 7268
Blue M: 73.8/131 332 409 156 421 508 395 183 455 544 3403 424 356 184 558 436 397 409 145 484 3393 6796
White M: 72.0/128 328 394 142 408 489 372 156 423 519 3231 396 328 170 528 430 378 384 120 457 3191 6422
Tee Combo I M: 69.5/119 W: 75.6/130 332 338 142 380 454 372 136 338 519 3011 339 328 160 528 387 326 380 145 457 3050 6061
Green M: 68.5/121 W: 73.4/126 260 338 109 380 454 313 136 338 450 2778 339 291 160 490 387 326 380 115 417 2905 5683
Tee Combo II M: 64.4/107 W: 68.9/117 206 295 91 292 454 241 96 336 450 2461 289 251 89 490 250 298 293 54 417 2431 4892
Yellow W: 66.9/115 206 295 91 292 367 241 96 336 372 2296 289 251 89 357 250 298 293 54 385 2266 4562

Year Built 2000
Architect Ron Kern (2000)

Caddies Yes

Plays Long 20

leb

Interesting course could be great

We drove a couple hours away to make purgatory the first of two courses for the day. The grounds and clubhouse are very nice, and the staff greeting us with carts in the parking lot was a nice touch. The breakfast burritos were fantastic! They had a starter, and the course was busy, but not packed at 10am on a beautiful Saturday morning. Pace of play throughout the day was not an issue.

The course itself was in good, but not great shape. We were somewhat perplexed at some standing water around some tee boxes, while others were bone dry since it hadn’t rained in a good week at least. We thought they might have some drainage issues or busted sprinklers. We still can’t figure out what was going on there.

The greens were not rolled and were not fast. Somewhat disappointing.

The routing is nice, and very beautiful with the fescue. The course is obviously famous for the bunkers, and they were in fine shape.

It’s a very playable tract, surprisingly so. Fairways are huge. Very bad shots face very penal results, but all in all, the course was fair.

We had some confusion on the front side, as the white tees were sometimes playing much shorter than advertised. The tees all played the listed distance on the back nine.

This could be an amazing golf course, but some things should be improved. It’s somewhat pricey, but the carts were very dirty and not regularly hosed down.

I think the course relies on “tourist golfers” like ourselves, and may not have a dedicated clientele who would perhaps expect more on a day to day basis. It was a gimmicky appeal, with various tees and sand... and, of course, the 7900 yards that no one would ever play.

It was a fun day on the links.

Speed up the greens. Clean up the details, and this could be an amazing venue.

Commented On 08/13/2019

Thank you for the review, we appreciate your feedback. Glad you enjoyed the course. We have been experiencing some irrigation issues where heads are not turning off at the scheduled time. We believe we have this solved now, sorry you experienced the wet tee boxes.

Commented On 08/02/2019

Thanks for leaving us a review!

Commented On 07/15/2019

Thank you for the 5 star review, we are happy you enjoyed the course.

It is a great course.

I really like this course. I got there early in the morning and they put me with another single. We had no one in front of us so we played at a perfect pace. There are very little trees but just enough to make some holes interesting. The sand is the reason it is called purgatory. Some fairways are blind but wide and others or narrow. Great track and some slope. Go play it. Worth the $50.

Commented On 07/15/2019

Thank you for the good review. Hope you get back out to play soon.

Fun and challenging layout on hot day

Purgatory is a little overpriced for me unless I can find a good deal. It is a fun course to play. The course looks great right now with the longer heather being burnt out. The greens were rolling very well. It is a challenging layout with plenty of tee options depending upon your skill level or length off the tee. I'll definitely be back. Only feedback I'd give is the course could/should play firmer. I'm not a superintendent, and I know the recent weather (lots of rain to very hot) is probably challenging, but this course would be more fun if the fairways/approaches/greens were watered less.

Commented On 07/10/2019

Thanks for leaving us a review - we value your feedback. We appreciate your understanding of the weather. Our super and his team have been hard at work to keep the course up to par. Please come back and play anytime!

Target golf

I've played here 3 times. Would need 5 more to learn the course for landing areas not a place the average player can just let it fly. It's a beautiful place. wish I was good enough to play good golf here. I shot 10 shots worse than I normally do. great layout and conditions. stunning views

Amazing

This course is just absolutely incredible. It is something out of this world. The ratings are completely wrong. This is a top 3 course in the state. I played there in sectionals, and just loved it more than anything. Would play there everyday if I could. It’s awesome!!!

Commented On 07/10/2019

Thanks for the excellent review! Come back and play a round with us again soon.

Commented On 06/07/2019

We are very happy you enjoyed the course and thank you for the great review.

Commented On 07/10/2019

Thanks for leaving us a great review!

Course is in great shape. Well done!!! As always, a good round on a quality course.

Commented On 07/10/2019

Thanks for leaving us a review!

Commented On 06/07/2019

Jeffery, Thanks for the great review. We are very happy that you had a great day, hope you get back out to play soon.

What happened?!

This used to be a must play, but now half the greens are trashed. They also are no longer keeping them rolled and fast. Practice green was closed down completely. The cart paths are a mess. No ball washers. Many tee boxes are soaking wet even though it's barely rained in a month, causing me to slip often, because again, it has barely rained in a month so I wore spikeless shoes. I'm not going back this year, I hope they improve the conditions because it's a fantastic layout.

Great Track only 1 negative

This course is amazing and any golfer should play it. There were bad spots on most of the greens but beyond that the course was in top condition.

Friendly staff and great course

Staff was very friendly and asked if we had ever played here before, and we had not. They directed us to the first tee and we were off. The course has several tee box options and even a hybrid option. The white tees were a little long for my friend but the greens were too short so we played the hybrid which was just under 6,000 yards. The course was in great shape. There was one temporary green but it was not an issue for us. Plenty of bunkers and water. The rough was long but it was very playable. The course is fair and not overly difficult if you pick right tees. Great course, I look forward to playing it again.

Great Course With Small Details Missing

A very fun course to play, it is challenging yet fun. The pace of play has always been quick, and I cannot recommend the course enough. HOWEVER, for the price of prestige of the course I find it hard to believe they don't have GPS in their carts. To me that is a huge value and why this course gets 4 out of 5 stars.

Unique course

Unusual, challenging layout. Lots of bunkers, water, undulations and berms. Fun course to play.

Stay In the fairway

Course was nice but if you got off the fairway two feet you would lose your ball. Rough was too high and you wasted at least thirty minutes looking for your ball . I found as many as I lost but it was frustrating.
Other than that I enjoyed the round.

Request A Vacation Quote From Hamilton County
Please provide your information below and a staff member at Hamilton County will be in contact to help you start planning your travel.
Cicero, Indiana