Sequoyah National Golf Club

Year Built 2009
Fairways Bluegrass
Golf Season Year round. High Season: Apr - Oct.
Architect Robert Trent Jones, Jr. (2009) Notah Begay III (2009)

Credit Cards Accepted Yes

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in North Carolina (2017 #7)

Best course in western nc!

Great Mountain Views, course layout, & overall course conditions! Only issue is the bunkers, which will be redone in early spring. Well, the tourists could also help out with the greens by fixing their ball marks. But, Other than that it is superb. Ask for earl. He loves people!

One of our favorites.

Just an update of prior reviews, I think. We come up to NC once a year and always play this course twice.

Fantastic mountain course that combines amazing views with a playable track that is generally not "tricked out" to take advantage of the elevation changes. Many memorable holes.

It was in great shape this year. The holes that usually get me - 10, 12 and 17, did so again but not quite as badly on our second round.

Got stuck behind 2 foursomes of international visitors who were pretty slow - 4 wives playing ahead of their husbands.

Finally got fed up on #11 and skipped the hole to finish out the round without waiting, then took the long trek back and played 11. It was still a 5 hour round.

Majestic views

Spectacular vistas on a very fun and challenging course. Greens rolled true although they were a bit beat up and pock marked. Mountain golf was beautiful and we enjoyed all 5 hours on the course. If it were resort caliber conditions with a clubhouse bar overlooking some of the scenery it could be a top 10 in the US. Worth going to for sure.

Must play golf course

Absolutely beautiful mountain golf course. Course was in wonderful shape. The staff at the course was friendly and helpful. Drove about an hour to play the course and had to leave right after playing. So I can’t judge other amenities at the course. If you like mountain golf this course is for you.

My all time favorite!

I love this course for the beautiful views that are incomparable to any other golf course. I love this course for the most fantastic bent grass greens that are always in impeccable shape. I love this course for conditions that are always in great shape.

From the first tee to the 18th green this course will challenge you like no other. If you don't hit it straight, bring plenty of balls. But make sure you bring your camera for some of the most beautiful mountain scenery anywhere in the world.

I love this course like no other. If I could play it every day I would. It's worth the drive from anywhere, at any time.

Great experience

Course was well-maintained beautiful views. We recommend to anyone

A hidden Gem

And absolutely wonderful golf course! You can’t take a bad picture of this place. Course is in exceptional shape. Fairways feel like you are walking on carpet and the greens putt true. Will definitely be back!!

Love this course

Always in Great condition. The Smokey Mountain View are breath taking. Greens roll well and are in perfect shape.

Great course with some tricks up its sleeve.

This course is magnificent for it's views and variety of hole designs. Carved from the mountain in a very natural way. Most of the holes have lots of elevation changes, and occasionally the pin placements were evil.

Greens were very good, but perhaps too fast in places given the slopes on the green.

If you are a relatively straight hitter, you will not lose too many balls. In two rounds I think I lost 3 balls, maybe just two.

Have played this course once or twice a year for the last 4 years. Highly recommend - just fun if you choose the right tee box.

Played twice in two days. First time in afternoon (1:12 pm) pace of pay was great - 4 hours for a twosome and only waited a few minutes once.

Today a 10:12 tee time and it was packed. My twosome joined with another on the 5th hole and played in 4:30, so not terrible.

Overpriced

Nice views and average course conditions. The price to play is way over priced. Should be no more than $30 during the week and no more than $40 other times.

Great views. Poor Service!

This mountain course has spectacular views!
We have not played many courses with more picturesque holes.
However we have not had such horrible service in a course. The Pro Shop staff failed to tell us that there was no beverage cart, that the course layout did not return to the club house and so we left the club house with no liquids.
To make matters worse the holes with water coolers had no water! When we asked one of the course workers if they were going to get water, we were told someone was working on it. We never did find any water! It was a 90+ degree day!
We thought we had salvation when we came upon a soda machine but it was only taking exact change! No paper!
We ended 18 holes dehydrated and dejected with the lack of basic golf course service!
Go for the views but pack in my own liquids!

What a view!

This course has amazing mountain views. GPS in the carts with a flyover the hole is a huge help with the steep elevation changes and club selection. Driver isn't utilized very often on this course. Fairways are great, however sand in the cart would probably encourage more divots to be filled. Greens were 8/10 could use some attention from the grounds crews. Will definitely return for another round.

Great course and conditions

What a difference three years have made! Course always had gorgeous views, but course conditions this year are spectacular! Gorgeous fairways, greens and tees. Back on our must play list!

Lots of fun

Played this course while away with the family. Was able to get out early. Luckily, I was teamed up with two nice guys that knew the course well. The course was in great shape and the greens were perfect. The layout is very challenging and even though the GPS works well, local knowledge is a plus. Can't wait to play this course again. Make sure to bring a camera!

Fun layout, bring your A game!

Played here for the 1st time. Conditions of greens, fairways, tees, and bunkers was excellent. Went out as a twosome, finished in just under 4 hours.
Not an overly long course (at least the par 4s and 5s). Lots of trouble, greens have lots of slope, hard to find a flat lie on fairways. Great mountain views and a lot of elevation changes.

Excellent Mountain Course

Great course for playability and definitely a risk/reward course. Excellent mountain views make concentrating on good golf shots a challenge at times. Will be back again.

Mountain Golf at its finest

A smaller group of a large golf trip played Seqouyah for an additional 18 on a Saturday. We called the morning of and they were able to find 2 tee times for us back to back. Weather threatened, but held off.

Absolutely great course. Incredible shape. Beautiful views. Great layout. Couldn't have asked for a better time. Ultimate risk-reward course. A few drivable par 4s. And, unlike the mountain course we had played earlier in the day, if you missed the fairway, you weren't OB. A little bit of rough was forgiving.

Great Course - Real Mountain Golf

Being from MS coast were were looking for mountain golf to play and we found it at Sequoyah National. Great layout, great shape. Elevated tees ball flies a mile! Staff very friendly. My wife and I both loved the course!

Could be a great course

Views and course conditions are fantastic but the service is seriously lacking. Long haired gent loading bags was nice, gave us a few pointers. Staff inside horrible, never smiled, did not feel welcomed. Told us pins were zone 2 but never explained what zone 2 was, signs on tees stated zone 1. No balls on the range had to get my own. No sand in the divot jugs so could not help keep course in good shape. Refreshment gal left at 3 on a 90+ degree day, no coolers in carts and since you do not hit the clubhouse on the turn it would have been nice for someone to inform us. Club house closed when we finished at 5:50 so again no refreshments. Could be a great course if the staff does the little things to complete the experience but it felt like they did not care.

Difficult

Greens were in great shape, fairways and tee boxes need work, beautiful views

Whittier, North Carolina