Style Links
Hickory Stick Golf Club

Year Built 2001
Architect Tim Liddy (2001) MacCurrach Golf (2001)

Better than expected greens

The course was well kept and has a good layout with thick rough to make it interesting if you miss the fairways. The greens have good layouts and make you think about every putt. The bunkers are very average.

Good course but hard to get to location

Played there on the second day of a short trip to Indianapolis. Surprised it wasn’t more crowded on a Sunday afternoon as I was able to walk on and get a time. The course seems like it is out of the way and pretty far off the highway. I wasn’t exactly sure where I was going, even after looking at my GPS.

After checking in, had trouble finding the first tee. Got my cart and drove over to what I thought was the opener but that was actually the 10th tee. Took me a little time to figure out that the first tee box was across the street at the far end of the parking lot. I did not see a sign stating where the first tee actually was located.

The course was in solid shape. The fairways were in good condition but had some brown patches, probably due to the summer heat. The greens seemed a little small but they did have a bit of elevation changes. However, they rolled well and helped me make a few putts that day. Many of the greens are up on hills but you could still run a ball up onto them. Lakes come into play on half the holes. The rough was pretty thick and had some high grass/native brush on the edges.

Many of the holes seemed to play a little short but that might have been due to the slightly dry conditions helping the ball run out. I’m not a big hitter off the tee at all but came pretty close to the green on both the first and seventh holes. Nine played in an odd direction to me and I wasn’t quite sure where I was supposed to aim my second shot. The 12th fairway was narrow but had a huge amount of rough to the left that was playable out of. The par-5 16th hole had some homeowners hanging out on their back patios watching the golfers.

It is a good and strong course worth playing but not sure I would play there again on my next trip to Indy, simply due to its location.

Fun course but hard to get to location

Played this course on the second day of back-to-back rounds in Indianapolis. On a good weather day, I thought it would be packed. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find it wide open. I think it might be an out-of-the-way course that is difficult to get to. I wasn’t sure where I was going, even on my GPS!

The course itself was in very good condition. The fairways had a few brown patches but the greens were in excellent shape. I’m not a long hitter at all but I got a lucky bounce and nearly drove the green on No. 3 and also nearly got onto the front on No. 7. It might have been the dry conditions but I got a lot of roll. The par-5 16th hole was very nice and had houseowners hanging out and watching on their back patios!

Over the entire round, I think I saw a couple of singles and around four two-somes but that was about it. Great for pace of play! Booked a twilight time for $30 and it was an excellent value.

One complaint was that I had trouble finding the first tee, though. I thought I had found it, as it was the closest tee box to the clubhouse, but instead it was the 10th hole. After a bit of looking, I realized the first tee box was across the street at the end of the parking lot.

When I visit Indianapolis, I’m usually downtown, so this was a bit of a voyage to get to. It is a strong course but probably just too far out of the way for me to ever play again.

Great course... staff could be more inviting

First off, this course was a great challenge and in wonderful condition! This is definitely what would bring me back. The individual working the front desk, however, really needs to work on service and overall friendliness. I was never greeted by the individual and a word was never said to me until I told him when my tee time was. I was then given a cart key and receipt and he began walking away. I had to ask where the carts were, he then pointed and asked if it was my first time visiting. After responding that it was my first time, he nodded and walked away. Very disappointed. This was compounded by the lack of signage directing to the first tee... especially when the staff doesn’t bother to explain the course layout when they find out you are a first time visitor. Once again though. Great course design and fantastic conditions

Really injoy playing this course

Like this course alway in good playing condition injoy the layout greens in great shape I will play again

Indy Advisor

Outstanding southside track

Hickory stick is the premiere course on the south side on Indianapolis. I have played it twice now, and I keep wanting more. The course is an "Irish Links" style course in a very nice housing community. The location is a bit remote which I believe is the main reason it doesn't get more praise around town. The greens are mid sized with a good amount of undulation. I feel like it plays a little shorter than the stated yardage, so i will move back another set of tees the next time around. The 11 hole seems to be in need of some repair as the bunker up next to the green is completely washed. It was like this last fall when i played it last. This would be my only gripe about the course.

I love the collection areas around the greens, and i really enjoy the variety of holes. 16 is one of my favorite holes in town and the perfect par 5! I may call this course home next season.

great layout, and friendly staff
tremendous shape, especially after ALL of the recent weather conditions

would come back!

Great conditions with an exception

Love this course!
Only negative on this date was that the first 4-5 greens had narrow bare tracks carved into them by an obviously bad green mower. It seemed to interfere with some puts for sure. I’m certain it will repair over a week or two.
Regardless, I suggest this course to all my friends!

Greens are trashed

Usually this course is great. The greens were garbage. Just aerated and the first 5 had big stripes across the greens every 2-3’ which made putting atrocious. The rest of the greens had sand all over them and were just dirty and hard to putt. Save your money and try this. Purse later this year.

Unprofessional and disrespectful

A friend of mine and I booked this course via the golf now app for $42 a piece to play 18 holes yesterday. I drove 35 minutes to get there while my friend drove 90 minutes. After arriving at 8:15am we were told by staff that we could only play on the back 9 holes due to the first 4 holes on the front being aerated. Staff member then told us to check back with him after we golf the back 9 as there might be a chance we could golf the front 9. After checking back in after 9 holes we were told that last week one of the mowers leaked hydraulic fluid all over the first 4 holes and we would have to play the back 9 again. By this time the parking lot was 3/4 full and there was a line of 8 people waiting to start on hole 10. So we left and played Valle Vista.

We will never golf this course again. I feel the staff was very unprofessional and disrespectful by not letting us know ahead of time of the issues and that we might only be able to play the back 9. My friend drove a long way to meet me there to play. Obviously they just wanted our $84. At the very least they could have offered us half of our money back.

Awesome as Always!

I live in southern Indiana and have played Hickory Stick about 4-6 times past couple of years with the recent one being in April 2019. I have never found fairways and greens on this course in bad shape, it’s always flawless and challenging. Greens are some of the best greens in the area.

Improvement ideas - #2 is a odd hole with no character just a straight up par 4.
#5 is way too long for a par 4, this hole is already extremely tough due to the long bunker on the left and the elevated green.
Bunkers on the course need some serious repairing, they have been in pretty bad shape now for over a year.

I would have rated this course a 5 star if bunkers were all operational, I would still play this course again soon because of the challenge and beauty it is!

March Round

Excellent layout and very nice conditions for March golf. I imagine it’s absolutely awesome to play in the summer. I’m pretty picky when it comes to golf courses but this is one of my favorites in in greater Indianapolis area. My group from Grand Rapids MI will be back! Only downfall was poorly marked tee boxes and yardage on course.

Indy Advisor

Solid Links-Style Track

Hickory Stick is the best course I've played so far on the South side of Indy. A good test of shotmaking with smaller greens, most of which are undulating. Miss them and you're likely in a shaved chipping area below the green. Course was in good shape for March. It was a little confusing to find #1 at first with no signs out yet on the course, But overall it was a solid, interesting mix of holes, knobs, and elevation change. I'll be back again.

The course was in good condition except for the first couple of greens that had been re-sodded recently . Should have called the course directly for the tee time and saved the Golfnow fee .

Great shape

Course is in great shape. Fun and challenging as well

3.2200588235