Hickory Stick Golf Club

Hickory Stick Golf Club
Green/White 71 6179 yards 70.3 121
White/Gold 71 5499 yards 66.7 110
Scorecard for Hickory Stick
Black M: 72.7/135 371 367 354 192 436 153 321 439 576 3209 360 140 443 611 455 392 590 233 401 3625 6834
Green M: 70.5/131 348 355 328 167 409 139 313 414 540 3013 352 135 405 587 438 361 539 200 374 3391 6404
White M: 68.7/126 328 345 320 160 380 130 305 394 479 2841 342 128 365 525 410 345 496 190 365 3166 6007
Gold M: 63.9/108 W: 64.1/112 288 281 219 130 314 94 227 332 401 2286 312 90 321 453 327 300 434 117 304 2658 4944

Year Built 2001
Architect Tim Liddy (2001) MacCurrach Golf (2001)

Great shape

Course is in great shape. Fun and challenging as well

Heck of a links track!

The layout is incredible! I loved the way this course was set up, and I will make it a regular course in my rotation. This is the best course on the south side of town and probably top 10 or top 15 in the entire city.

It is a links style course with well placed water hazards, picturesque holes and deep bunkers. The greens were in fantastic shape and very quick. The fairways also have lots of elevation changes, so it is not only important to be in the fairway but to be on the correct side of the fairway if you want a flat approach shot. The rough is very thick and will eat balls it you are not on point.

The course was very wet after the recent rain we had, so I cannot give an honest assessment of the bunkers. I assume that this course plays hard and fast during mid summer conditions and that the wind can really get blowing out on the course. The course also has lots of collection areas around the greens which is not something seen very often around here. It is a Tim Liddy course, and it reminds me a lot of trophy club.

Indiana Advisor

Tropical Storm don't bother me none

Got a decent deal on GolfNow and the weather looked to be sparing the southside, so we played Friday at 2. Weather was kinda rolling in short waves of spitting rain on the front. Rain gear off and on.

Course was in solid shape; tees, fairways, closest rough all grassed well. This course has always drained well, so the recent spat of rain we've had in central IN hasn't swamped this place. Bunker were ok, obviously with rain they hadn't been treated, but played fair. The greens were really in great shape, smooth and pretty quick/consistent. This course has always had some pretty sketchy looking crabgrass in the out-of-the-way areas, so if you spray the ball, don't count on your lie being very good. (I'm ok with this - golf isn't about perfect lies all day). I do think they're letting a few more areas go to tall fescue, low/no maintenance areas and I think that's a great ideal; save on maintenance cost. But you will lose a ball in there.

I think they blend holes well together out here: some short, some long. There are a few tee shots that favor draws, some a cut. Starting with a fairly flat piece of land, they've created some mounding and some fall-off areas. I've always found that if you tee ball is going where you're aiming out here, you can score.

I like how #1 starts off with a scoring opp if you hit the green in reg; if you miss, good luck. #3 is an Alps-like hole, which is always a little fun. #5 can be a demanding hole any day of the week, starting with the tee ball - can you hit the fairway?

Today I did get treated (abused?) by something I'll probably never see in person again: my partner aced #4 from 191yds, then followed that up by peeling off 4 more birdies in a row! I was up 2up on him at the 4th tee and by the time we reached #9, I was down nine shots! Incredible. He's still smiling.

The weather got tropical and windier on the back and we were leaking some oil coming in. I managed to get focused and actually played better than the front. I think the finishing holes here are a real test: Par 5 sixteenth requires 3 good shots for most, the par 3 seventeenth is long, tough and the par 4 eighteenth dares you to take on the aggressive line off the tee. This stretch can trash your round, especially if the wind is in (and it usually is).

This place is always pretty solid and I like playing here a few times a year. They have minimal trees and in the fall this a favorite.

Excellent condition!

I've probably played 20-30 courses between central and southern Indiana and this one ranks number 1! I normally play courses that range from $30-$60 to give you an idea... This course for 18 holes and a cart thru GolfNow only cost us $27, but I would gladly pay $50. The course is challenging, but not so difficult you'll pull your hair out. I don't recommend playing when its above 90 degrees, sunny, and humid, as there is little shade. The staff didn't seem very friendly, but they were not rude either, however, I think that may have been due to the fact they had minimal staff on hand. The greens and fairways were the best I've played all year! The only complaint I have about the course itself is that half the bunkers were like concrete. They also had tablets equipped in the cart that range, scorecard, hole layout that even had the pin locations spot on! Overall this is my new favorite course for the money! Hope this review helps!

Overall Conditions Are Very Poor

I'm very disappointed in this course. I'm not going to pay $50 again to play this course in the current condition. What a rip off. This is my favorite course on the south side of Indianapolis. I've played this course for more than 10 years, and the condition this course is in is embarrassing. The fairways are long, usually very thin and smooth, and they are patchy all over the course. Rough and heather were in usual condition and overall were fine. Many bunkers are gone or just poorly managed and not full. Greens were long and slow when they are normally very short and super quick this time of year. Course played super long because of the length of the fairways. Hopefully this course fixes whatever the issues are right now with keeping up the standard it had for the last 10 years. Shot 39-40 for an eight-over, 79 from the green tees (second longest option).

Excellent condition, fun layout

The course was in excellent condition. Really enjoyed the layout, not too challenging but enough trouble to get into if you hit a bad shot.

Awesome Course!

First time playing at Hickory Stick. Great course and facilities!

What a day!

Course was in great shape. I recommend playing the green tees - just a little further back. But, it seems to take some trouble out of play. We paid for the $15 replay and played 2 rounds it was so nice out. Love this course.

Good Variety

Played the course for the first time and found it very nice. It played shorter than the tees indicated but was still very enjoyable. It def rewards good shots & rejects bad ones (quickly). We liked the run off/catch basin areas around the greens (don't have that where we typically play). We also liked the subtle bends to the fairways-- not many straight holes. A few holes are hard to figure out the best way to play since it was our first time (#9).

All in all-- if we are in the area we will play again.

Fairways decent, greens medium quick. Did have difficulty locating any balls in rough. Overall good experience

Course deteriorating

This used to be a nice course. The maintenance has gotten very poor. The bunkers are awful. The grass is not cut often enough. The greens are to fast for the size and shape.

Overall...this is a $20 course now. At $40 regular price and $30 twilight there are better places to play.

Tough but fair

Keep it in the fairway and you'll be fine. The rough, however, is another story. If you find yourself in the thick rough, best to just get the ball back in play. Don't try to be a hero. Greens were excellent and the ball did what you asked it to do. Bunkers are in bad shape due to recent flooding, so if you find yourself in a bad one, take a drop.

Fun course

It’s the one course I would consider getting a membership at. I prefer to play different courses throughout the summer. But, if I were to pay for a membership somewhere. This would be the place. It’s just the perfect challenge. Par 3’s are great. Back is a little tougher than the front.

My 1 suggestion would be to stretch the 5th hole tee box back 50yards and make it a par 5. Making it a par 72

One of the best

I’ve played Hickory Stick several times and it never disappoints. The course is always in fantastic condition; the staff is always helpful and friendly. I would recommmend Hickory Stick to anyone without hesitation.

Bunkers are gone need some work, greens for 1/27 where in great shape, fairways hold water but playable in most areas, cart were on paths but expected from rain prior day

Mooresville, Indiana