Falcon Watch Golf Club - Cypress/Challenge Course

This golf course is closed for business. Not true? Let us know.
Looking for other options nearby?

2.6

Type Private
Gray 72 6229 yards 71.0 129
Green (W) 72 5391 yards 65.0 115
Yellow (W) 72 4782 yards 68.0 111
Scorecard for Cypress/ Challenge
Blue M: 71.5/135 500 390 390 380 155 390 340 175 545 3265 375 494 390 155 510 390 325 175 400 3214 6479
White M: 72.6/122 490 355 365 340 120 355 340 135 520 3020 355 470 325 130 488 360 300 165 370 2963 5983
Green M: 65.5/115 W: 70.7/115 430 325 330 325 110 335 310 135 480 2780 315 369 300 125 442 300 275 150 335 2611 5391
Red W: 70.0/120 430 325 270 325 110 310 290 100 480 2640 315 369 300 110 406 300 255 135 335 2525 5165
Yellow M: 68.2/111 430 325 270 310 80 310 290 100 405 2520 275 311 225 110 406 300 230 70 335 2262 4782

Year Built 1991
Architect Ron Garl (1991)

Clubs No

Don't waste your money during summertime

The 9-hole Cypress course was in terrible condition given I had played two months prior. It seemed that they had not done any maintenance on the course in weeks. Fairways weren't cut, grass is growing in the bunkers, the greens were dying with large brown dirt patches and weeds were noticeable high in the rough. The red tee on the 1st hole was all torn up. On the 9 hole I landed in a 6x6 foot area full of old grass cuttings hat was in the middle of the fairway. The 9-hole Challenge course was in much better shape from tee to green although the greens are only minimally in better shape. I was sorry I used some of my rewards on this course.

Fun older worn course

Our threesome played the two older nines, which needed some work. Lots of weeds in the fairways. Some greens were really good and then others bad. Good variety of holes with a good sandtrap/water hazard mix. No alcoholic license.

Needs lots of work

Greens were fair, fairways poor, and rough was mostly dirt. Challenge was in better shape than Cypress

painted greens and nasty people

Played as a non member. While signing in a member barged up to the desk and interupted the desk clerk and asked for a bag of balls saying he was had little time until he teed off. My wife, who was standing next to me asked the member if she was in his way and he said yes(we were in the process of paying). It was 9:30 and we had 9:53 tee times. The clerk said the carts were in the parking lot and to find one and come back and tell him the number.He also said that they were jammed and to wait in the parking lot until 9:53. After loading our carts we went to the first tee and did not see a person. In fact we did not see a group on the course until the back nine. A few of the greens were painted green due to no or little greens. In fact there was minimal grass on the entire golf course. Never go back.

Orlando Advisor

Gradually improving, on the right track

I played this course despite some poor reviews and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. The first impression on arriving was pretty bad, I thought "Wow, what a goat track" there are lots of bare areas of dirt where grass should be growing. I know they recently hired a new superintendent to try and address some of the issues. From older reviews I was not expecting much from the greens or tee boxes but I was pretty impressed overall. It seems obvious the new greens keeper is prioritizing their time and budget to first address the areas of greatest need. The greens, while not perfect, were better than average and they did roll very nice and true. Some older reviews said the greens were over gown and very slow but that is no longer the case. I played the Sands and Cypress 9s. Tom in the pro shop was very friendly and helpful getting me out onto the 2 quickest 9s despite the fact I was a little late for my tee time. There was one green on the Cypress course that was in bad shape but all of the rest were pretty good. The tee boxes on both courses were reasonably flat with grass growing and the fairways for the most part were pretty good. (I did have to move to "fair lie" in the FW once or twice.) The rough must be low on the priority list for repairs because it is in bad shape-more dirt than grass and its just unsightly. This was why I had a bad first impression when I pulled in. The sparse rough looks dead and uninviting but I do understand why the superintendent has ignored this eye sore in favor of repairing greens and tee boxes first. Good job all around to the new staff for improving the greens and tee boxes. Ron Garl is one of my favorite designers, I would love to see this course returned to its intended beauty. Depending on weather conditions this summer, I believe Falcon watch could be greatly improved by next season. I must say- I had a career round here and broke 80 (76=+4) for the first time in a while. So playing well certainly helped my enjoyment of the course. If you can get a good hot deal, I would recommend trying this course- I wouldn't pay full price as there are several other nice courses in the area.

The place worth to visit again

Good place, friendly staffs and interesting course needing every clubs in the bag, only negative is that my GPS software can't find this course so I was playing with a lot of doubt in yardage.

Great scenery

Bunkers need improvement [Racking ETC]

Course conditions

Don't see how they keep members..course conditions are horrible.greens are below average and folks don't seem to care if you play or not..almost nothing in pro shop merchandise..that tells it all..

The course is in good condition.

There are three 9 hole courses. The Challenge, and Sands courses greens are in the best condition. The fairways on all three are in good condition. It is a very enjoyable course to play.

pgalll
Commented On 01/06/2016

Thank you for playing our course and for the great review.

Terrain en réparation

Le terrain est en overseeding et les verts sont inconsistants,certains sont très rapides,d'autres sont lents,certains sont très courts,d'autres très longs,rendant le terrain très difficile.cette semaine,le tout était mieux,mais il faudrait attendre environ 1 mois et refaire une évaluation lorsque la période d'overseeding sera terminée.

pgalll
Commented On 01/10/2016

Thank you for your feedback. The greens and course are in much better condition. The over-seeding is complete and it went very well. When you come back you will see a difference.

Ruskin, Florida