Opened in 2010, it did not take Cape Fear National at Brunswick Forest long to be ranked as one of the "top 10 best courses you can play in North Carolina" by Golfweek. It was quite a feat to create a course that stood out in an area known for its exceptional golf, but designer Tim Cate mastered the challenge. Although it was carefully carved through acres of forest, the trees don't play much of a role on the course. Sand and water will be the most formidable challenges on this links layout. Golfers can expect forced carries over native marshes and massive waste bunkers strategically placed throughout. There are challenges in store for players of all skill levels but Cape Fear National is also a fair and straightforward test with no hidden hazards.

Cape Fear National At Brunswick Forest

Year Built 2009
Fairways Tifway 419 bermuda
Greens A-1/A-4 bent grass
Architect Tim Cate (2009)

Credit Cards Accepted Yes

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in North Carolina (2018 #4)

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 6

Great layout

This course has a great layout with some beautiful holes. It is long with a lot of carries and sand, so bring your A game! Greens are excellent

I dont normally do reviews but this is a great course. First time playing this course. Very friendly staff from the time you pull in parking lot untill you leave. Will definitely play this course again.

Fantastic course

First time playing course. Entire experience was fantastic from the time our clubs left the car. Staff super friendly and knowledgeable; course was beautiful and well maintained. Just a well run organization. Highly recommended.

Bad greens

Greens are almost dead! Otherwise it's a very nice course but to me greens are the most important feature of a course. Therefore i wouldn't play this course again until the greens are improved.

Conditions were much improved. The course was in bad shape a month ago but it is resembling the course I remember again. Played it twice this week and thoroughly enjoyed it. The course is always better when no rain.

Commented on 06/03/2019

Thank you for your review. We are so glad you enjoyed your experience. We value your feedback and hope to see you again soon.!

Commented on 08/02/2019

Thanks for your review! Hope to see you again soon.

Such a nice course

Very challenging course. You could end up loosing a few balls. Loved the course. Greens are huge and very fast. They are planning to redo all their greens in June. This course is definitely a must play. Always very windy, so one more thing to keep in mind when planning your shots.

Commented on 06/03/2019

Thanks for your review. We are so glad you enjoyed playing our course. We hope to see you again soon!

Loved it

Loved the course and staff was great. Early season conditions to be expected.

Commented on 06/03/2019

Thanks for your review. We are delighted our staff and course met all your expectations. Hope to see you again soon!

Commented on 06/03/2019

Thank you for your review. We hope to see you back soon.

Thanks for your review. We hope to see you again soon!

Bring extra balls the first time.

I love this course and will play it again while here. Next time I will leave the driver in the bag more. Accuracy is more important than distance on most holes.

Commented on 06/03/2019

Thanks for your review. We are so glad you love our course! We value your feedback and hope to see you again soon.

Bill from Akron

Aesthetically beautiful course generous fairways and large greens. The layout was tough, you need to hit the fairways. The wasteland is unique, unfortunately I was unable to play hole 13 as they were filling in the wasteland. I will definitely play this course again.

Commented on 06/03/2019

Thanks for your review. We apologize for the inconvenience and value your feedback. We hope to see you again soon!

I’m saddened by this course

I moved here three years ago and fell in love with this course. Over the last few months, course conditions have slowly depleted. This course used to be green and have best fairways. No longer. I understand that the course took somewhat of a beaten during the hurrincane but geez. My budddy and I played at full price even though we could only play 17 holes. Also could not play bunkers. I’m just disappointed in this course. I felt like a GF that had cheated on me when I left this place. I would advise serious golfers to avoid the course right now. Maybe it will be restored by summer.

Commented on 08/02/2019

Thank you for your review. We apologize your experience was anything less than stellar. We are working hard to improve these conditions and hope you will come back to play again!

Commented on 02/17/2019

I wouldn't jump off the ledge just yet. It's February and I haven't played any courses that are green right now. I played a couple of weeks ago and feel like the course was good. They are rebuilding every bunker out there and it is a slight put off that you only get to play 17 holes but still the best layout around and greens are perfect.

Whatta Day!

I've played here before but to be able to play here in 80 degree weather in February was a real treat. Course was undergoing some repair and had to play the first hole as a par 3 but certainly didn't ruin the day (probably saved a ball for me). The young man in the golf shops name was Ty so all I could think about was Caddyshack.
Course was in pretty good shape for this time of year and we were off of the path which was a bonus. Looks like they are redoing every bunker on the course and starter told us they were hit hard by the hurricane but the greens were fantastic. For my money this is the best public track around. I just hope they don't go up too much on rate but it was worth it today for sure. Can't wait to go back.

Commented on 08/02/2019

Thank you for your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your experience! Hope to see you again soon.

Hate to give this review

I would love to recommend this course but every time I've played here (3 or 4) times it is CPO.

The course just doesn't drain and retains water more than any other course I've played.

And you aren't told until you arrive that the 10th hole is closed and the parallel #1 hole is reduced to a par three.

I have to praise the staff as they are friendly and especially the maintenance crew who are working to repair the course and especially the bunkers. And I understand why the course has to be CPO.

They have GPS on the carts which is worthless as you are never close enough to your ball, so bring your rangefinder.

So I recommend that you call the course prior to booking to find out the conditions. I would rather walk this course, but there is too much distance between holes. So if you can't walk a lot, or skilled enough to place your shots close to the cart path (maybe that's my problem) I recommend you avoid this course until we have a dry spell, as it will still be a while until you're able to ride the fairways.

Commented on 08/02/2019

Thanks for your review. We're so glad our staff met your expectations. We greatly value your feedback and are working hard to improve the customer experience.

Bad greens

Fairways and bunkers are in good condition but the greens need major help. Pretty course but i wouldn't pay over 40 bucks to play it again. Too many courses in the area with better greens to play.

Beautiful course - grounds crew issue

I was the first one out on the course and was really enjoying my round until I hit the eighth hole. They had a grounds crew member mowing the greens, and like on any course I thought they would waive me through once they saw me waiting. Instead I waited on every hole 10 minutes for him to cut the greens. I finally just passed him on hole 12 because I wasn’t going to wait any longer. As a single going out for the first tee time of the day I would think that is assumed I’m trying to play fast, but obviously not with this crew. Overall the course was in great shape and had some character. Generous fairways, bunkers/waste bunkers, and slight undulations make this course fun, yet difficult.

Commented on 08/02/2019

Thanks for your review. We apologize for the delay and appreciate your patience. If you would like to discuss this further, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at info@capefearnational.com. We hope to see you again soon!

Top 3 in Wilmington. Maybe #1

Nov 11/18 was chilly & wet.Still better to be golfing than anything else! Course is a first class layout!
Played this course in the summer in a fund raiser for the local Hospice (Lower Cape Fear) Just a great day. Staff & Pro Ryan were terrific. They really cared & wanted everyone to have a wonderful day. If you can only play one course in Wilmington, come here. The value & layout is better than the Dunes in Myrtle Beach (too expensive now)

Winnabow, North Carolina