Opened in 2010, it did not take Cape Fear National at Brunswick Forest long to be ranked as one of the "top 10 best courses you can play in North Carolina" by Golfweek. It was quite a feat to create a course that stood out in an area known for its exceptional golf, but designer Tim Cate mastered the challenge. Although it was carefully carved through acres of forest, the trees don't play much of a role on the course. Sand and water will be the most formidable challenges on this links layout. Golfers can expect forced carries over native marshes and massive waste bunkers strategically placed throughout. There are challenges in store for players of all skill levels but Cape Fear National is also a fair and straightforward test with no hidden hazards.

Cape Fear National At Brunswick Forest
Scorecard for CFN
Championship M: 75.0/138 396 545 442 198 404 434 381 576 205 3581 424 535 396 427 203 559 435 442 215 3636 7217
Champ/Black M: 73.8/136 373 512 442 198 404 434 381 576 173 3493 397 515 396 393 203 559 435 412 186 3496 6989
Black M: 72.4/133 373 512 413 169 404 396 354 536 173 3330 397 515 387 393 169 525 403 412 186 3387 6717
Black/Blue M: 71.0/131 345 512 395 169 373 366 354 536 156 3206 372 515 387 375 169 525 371 387 186 3287 6493
Blue M: 69.9/128 345 487 395 157 373 366 342 500 156 3121 372 473 352 375 149 499 371 387 172 3150 6271
Blue/White M: 68.6/123 345 487 336 157 320 328 319 500 156 2948 320 473 352 338 149 499 371 347 172 3021 5969
White M: 66.8/116 W: 72.4/131 326 403 336 132 320 328 319 472 130 2766 320 410 283 338 119 442 331 347 163 2753 5519
Green M: 63.7/105 W: 68.3/114 190 403 312 106 287 253 258 433 110 2352 200 389 252 274 95 417 302 314 148 2391 4743

Year Built 2009
Fairways Tifway 419 bermuda
Greens A-1/A-4 bent grass
Architect Tim Cate (2009)

Credit Cards Accepted Yes

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in North Carolina (2018 #4)

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 6

Bad greens

Greens are almost dead! Otherwise it's a very nice course but to me greens are the most important feature of a course. Therefore i wouldn't play this course again until the greens are improved.

Conditions were much improved. The course was in bad shape a month ago but it is resembling the course I remember again. Played it twice this week and thoroughly enjoyed it. The course is always better when no rain.

Such a nice course

Very challenging course. You could end up loosing a few balls. Loved the course. Greens are huge and very fast. They are planning to redo all their greens in June. This course is definitely a must play. Always very windy, so one more thing to keep in mind when planning your shots.

Loved it

Loved the course and staff was great. Early season conditions to be expected.

Bring extra balls the first time.

I love this course and will play it again while here. Next time I will leave the driver in the bag more. Accuracy is more important than distance on most holes.

Bill from Akron

Aesthetically beautiful course generous fairways and large greens. The layout was tough, you need to hit the fairways. The wasteland is unique, unfortunately I was unable to play hole 13 as they were filling in the wasteland. I will definitely play this course again.

I’m saddened by this course

I moved here three years ago and fell in love with this course. Over the last few months, course conditions have slowly depleted. This course used to be green and have best fairways. No longer. I understand that the course took somewhat of a beaten during the hurrincane but geez. My budddy and I played at full price even though we could only play 17 holes. Also could not play bunkers. I’m just disappointed in this course. I felt like a GF that had cheated on me when I left this place. I would advise serious golfers to avoid the course right now. Maybe it will be restored by summer.

Golfcritique01
Commented On 02/17/2019

I wouldn't jump off the ledge just yet. It's February and I haven't played any courses that are green right now. I played a couple of weeks ago and feel like the course was good. They are rebuilding every bunker out there and it is a slight put off that you only get to play 17 holes but still the best layout around and greens are perfect.

Whatta Day!

I've played here before but to be able to play here in 80 degree weather in February was a real treat. Course was undergoing some repair and had to play the first hole as a par 3 but certainly didn't ruin the day (probably saved a ball for me). The young man in the golf shops name was Ty so all I could think about was Caddyshack.
Course was in pretty good shape for this time of year and we were off of the path which was a bonus. Looks like they are redoing every bunker on the course and starter told us they were hit hard by the hurricane but the greens were fantastic. For my money this is the best public track around. I just hope they don't go up too much on rate but it was worth it today for sure. Can't wait to go back.

Hate to give this review

I would love to recommend this course but every time I've played here (3 or 4) times it is CPO.

The course just doesn't drain and retains water more than any other course I've played.

And you aren't told until you arrive that the 10th hole is closed and the parallel #1 hole is reduced to a par three.

I have to praise the staff as they are friendly and especially the maintenance crew who are working to repair the course and especially the bunkers. And I understand why the course has to be CPO.

They have GPS on the carts which is worthless as you are never close enough to your ball, so bring your rangefinder.

So I recommend that you call the course prior to booking to find out the conditions. I would rather walk this course, but there is too much distance between holes. So if you can't walk a lot, or skilled enough to place your shots close to the cart path (maybe that's my problem) I recommend you avoid this course until we have a dry spell, as it will still be a while until you're able to ride the fairways.

Beautiful course - grounds crew issue

I was the first one out on the course and was really enjoying my round until I hit the eighth hole. They had a grounds crew member mowing the greens, and like on any course I thought they would waive me through once they saw me waiting. Instead I waited on every hole 10 minutes for him to cut the greens. I finally just passed him on hole 12 because I wasn’t going to wait any longer. As a single going out for the first tee time of the day I would think that is assumed I’m trying to play fast, but obviously not with this crew. Overall the course was in great shape and had some character. Generous fairways, bunkers/waste bunkers, and slight undulations make this course fun, yet difficult.

Top 3 in Wilmington. Maybe #1

Nov 11/18 was chilly & wet.Still better to be golfing than anything else! Course is a first class layout!
Played this course in the summer in a fund raiser for the local Hospice (Lower Cape Fear) Just a great day. Staff & Pro Ryan were terrific. They really cared & wanted everyone to have a wonderful day. If you can only play one course in Wilmington, come here. The value & layout is better than the Dunes in Myrtle Beach (too expensive now)

Second time around

Very nice course, wet once again , and ALL traps are ground under repair ( and mostly should be !) . Other than that, 4 sand bottles and no ball washer on the carts; they do have great GPS!

Lots of swamp land

Nice layout but bring plenty of balls! Friendly service at the bar.

Great layout fair for all skill levels just wish the 9th and 18th are par 3

Weathered Florence Well, But Need to Attend to Traps

I play this course typically twice a week and live in Brunswick Forest, where it is located. The course weathered Hurricane Florence well. The crew removed downed trees and the fairways are very playable. Pin positions are in tough positions to allow for some of the more-worn areas of the greens to heal a bit. The only issue -- and it's a large issue -- are the sand traps. Don't know of plans to get them in playable shape, but they need to do something. Cape Fear National always drains poorly. A half-inch of rain the day before you play will most certainly cause a "cart path only" circumstance. When dry (and when the traps are better) this course takes a backseat to none.

Winnabow, North Carolina
Boiling Spring Lakes, North Carolina

Valid dates: May 23, 2019 - Jun 30, 2019
2 Nights lodging at the Best Western Plus of Santee (or comparable lodging partner) and play 3 Rounds of golf on Santee Cooper Resort’s two courses.
Stay and Play
Stay & Play in Golf’s Little Big Town!
Stay and Play
Summer Golf Getaway in Santee!
Stay and Play
Come play in the Olde English District!
Summer Special in Greenville, SC