The Golf Club at Summerbrooke

Architect(s): Dean Refram
Type: Semi-Private

Clubs: No

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

Location is in the 'burbs convenient to the city   Great for locals advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views   Challenges include narrow fairways elevation changes water hazards   Great for drinks

"Tired course"

mseldridge's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/19/2018

This was probably once a very nice course. Good layout. Undermaintained. Gas carts, very broken up cart paths.

"Good design"

Scott7699926's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/13/2018

I played this course for the first time and it was a neat design. Will be back, but hopefully not after a huge rainstorm that made for a soggy round. The greens were slow and the tee boxes could use some TLC. The practice range needs some grass. It could be a 4 Star course.

"Awesome Experience"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/02/2018

After leaving Tallahassee FL 4 years ago I wanted to get back out on the links. I was pleased with everything once again at The Golf Club at Summerbrooke. The food was great, the course was in great shape, and the staff was very courteous. I loved playing through "The Devils Elbow" once again. Looks like pool would be great for family in the summer as well. I will be back!!

"Great layout"

Walnutroof's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/31/2018

I really enjoyed my round of golf on this much improved course from 2 years ago. It offers challenges for all golfer’s experience from narrow fairways to island greens. If you are looking for a course to improve your game, Summerbrooke has a great layout. BRING IT!!!

Shanamack1414's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/26/2018

Greens on most holes were in good condition. A few holes had spots but maybe due to the weather that is to be expected.

u254682092's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/20/2018

Greens were super fast. Not sure what the guy who said they were slow is used to playing, but these are quick. Fairways in good care condition and greens were too. Had no one in front of us on a Saturday so pace of play was great.

"Good Greens"

uOXOX5999OX's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/15/2018

We enjoyed the course midday on a holiday. Greens were in good condition, tees and fairways were sometimes grass free. David, the pro shop and course manager, was very busy but treated everyone well. Snack bar had reasonably priced food and pleasant, competent staff. I’d play it again, for $50 on a holiday!

"Awesome course"

Robert1374995's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/10/2018

Love the condition and upkeep. Staff is very courteous and professional and please eat.. the food is wonderful! Love the elevation changes ( especially the devil's elbow)

"FORE!"

walter7815605's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/31/2017

If you can't hit the ball straight - especially off the tee box - be sure to carry spare golf balls because you're almost certainly going to lose some... Tight fairways lined with trees... Front 9 was OK and challenging but some of the putting greens are in poor condition. They all play "slow" in my opinion and the grain has a strong influence on ball roll; in other words, expect a significant break unless you push through it with an aggressive roll... Back nine was fun especially Devil's Elbow.

tboggs8's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/29/2017

The course is in excellent shape. In fact it is in the best shape it has been in over the last 10 years.

The greens are full and fast, but not crazy fast. Your ball will roll true to the line that you putt.

As much improvement has been made with the greens, the fairways may be more improved. A new grounds keeper, updated irrigation and a renewed commitment by club owners all make for a great golf outing.

"Check out the layout!"

marshburnt's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/26/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

Every time I'm in town I play this course! Course has been in good shape every time I have played it. What really surprised me was the layout of the course for this part of the country. This unique course in the panhandle has a lot of character! A few of the holes on the back will blow you away! Rates? Very Reasonable. Staff? Always accommodating.

"Wow! Talk About Course Improvements..."

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/25/2017

I don't write too many reviews of anything, but after seeing the amazing improvements and how awesome the course conditions were at The Golf Club At Summerbrooke I felt I had to. I was THAT impressed.

The first thing I kept thinking as I was playing was the amount of $ and effort they must have put into all these improvements had to be massive. That or they hired a greenskeeper that has some magical fairy dust that turns decent conditions into truly impressive ones. I say this because I live in Atlanta (was visiting family in Tallahassee for the holiday) and I'm in Sales and so I get to play quite a few high end very private courses all around Atlanta like Atl Athletic Club, Chateau Elan, Golf Club of GA, Cherokee, Piedmont Driving Club, and even on occasion get on East Lake and Peachtree, so I know what really a really nice, take care of course looks like and I know what fantastic greens and fairways looks like. I can honestly say the fairways and greens at Summerbrooke were in amazing conditions and rival some of those private exclusive clubs. Yea... I said it. Summerbrooke's course conditions were in that kinda perfect shape.

I can also attest to the attentiveness of the staff. They were friendly and helpful as I've experienced.

Whoever is managing Summerbrooke now or whoever the owners are now, kudos to them. They've done an amazing job.

smarston's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/24/2017

The course is leaps and bounds better than the last time I played. The layout and change in topography is the best in town.

"Amazing Difference"

ISTAN's avatar

Previously played Used cart Hot weather

After playing this course 8 months after my first visit, I was amazed by the change and the condition of the course. Greens were in a much better state and running true! Truly great work by the staff for such a great turnaround. would recommend!

"Great improvements"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/24/2017

I have played this course many times in the past though over the past year or so have been playing other courses. I have to say I was very surprised at the massive improvements that have been made I have never seen the green in such great condition especially at this time of year I would recommend to anyone to go out and play this course best layout in town and the greens are in tremendous shape

"Great Day"

Ldrrein's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/25/2017

I went out and played at Summerbrooke today. The improvement of the course was amazing . The fair sways were awesome., the green very puttable, a little slow. It's the best layout in town. I would recommend giving it a try!

"Under-maintained and unfriendly staff"

darryldavidson's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/15/2017

The course was muddy from poor drainage, had numerous unmarked hazards, and was crowded into the surrounding development. It started raining a few holes in and wasn't stopping in the foreseeable future. I went to the pro shop to ask for a rain check for the back. The staff tried to convince me to play in the rain, sell me an umbrella, and make any excuse they could so that they wouldn't have to give me a raincheck. After talking for about 10 minutes the staff decided that I could not receive credit for the remaining holes because I "just wanted to quit". They were not helpful, they were scornful, and I will not play here again.

Course Layout: Poor

Commented on 11/30/2017

Good Day sir. I was reading your review and just wanted to comment a coupe of things. The part about the course being crowed in the neighborhood is pretty off base in my opinion . Most course are built in subdivisions. Summerbrooke is certainly not different than most course that built into neighborhoods , the house line fairways and typically cart paths cross through the streets . In Tallahassee, Summerbrooke, Killearn, Golden Eagle, Hilaman , and Southwood all have houses on them.

"Making a comeback"

u254682092's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2017

Played expecting the course conditions to be subpar from everything I had read. I was happily surprised. Fairways were great. Greens were pretty dang good considering how bad they were 1-2 years ago. Most of the tee boxes were good, some needed work. Some great holes on his course. The Devil's Elbow kicked my butt. Great time playing. I will definitely be back.

"Needs some TLC"

ShankasaurusRex's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2017

Recently took them up on the golf membership, based on the price for 18 w/ a cart. Have played it five times since April 1st. Here's the deal. The course itself has to be one of the most narrow courses in Tallahassee, but also seems to be the shortest. Hit driver on only three holes, rest of them was an iron off the tee. The layout is great, with plenty of things to consider on each shot. Nos. 5, 9, 14 & 16 are my favorite holes. Fairways are in good shape overall, with the exception of a noticeable bit of clay on the landing zone of #10. It is my understanding the greens have been abused time and again, and it shows. I rolled six or seven putts from 10+ feet that hopped up, down, right and left more than a rabbit on a caffeine binge. They need lots of help. The tee boxes aren't as bad, but a couple of them are a little beat up too. The thing that was most surprising to me was the quality and condition of the traps. Luckily I didn't spend any time in them, but the bunkers out there (with the exception of two) are an eye sore. If the ownership/management would find a way to gather the cash needed to truly fix the problems, and understand that it would probably be a few years before showing the profit they want to consider it a worthy investment; this place would be GREAT. Field of Dreams....... Oh, and the practice range seems like an afterthought at this point.

"Grumpy Old Man"

u007919016's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/16/2017

I've played Summerbrooke many times. I've seen it at it's best and worst. Right now it's somewhere in the middle. The course is maintained well and looks nice from a distance, however, the greens just don't have much grass right now. Was still an enjoyable round all in all as we were the ONLY people on the course. The absolute worst feature of the course is the old curmudgeon that works at the check-in desk. He is a complete jagon.