Tot Hill Farm Golf Club

2.3
2.6
2.3

Scorecard for Tot Hill Farm Golf Club
Black M: 72.1/144 448 402 180 493 535 155 382 514 371 3480 397 186 392 162 376 143 527 411 469 3063 6543
Green M: 70.6/135 423 385 163 478 516 140 368 493 359 3325 358 164 364 141 361 139 515 397 450 2889 6214
White M: 67.7/124 W: 73.6/141 350 371 147 399 489 128 334 474 342 3034 339 146 338 122 323 126 475 300 429 2598 5632
Gold W: 67.9/120 316 276 89 322 437 86 301 320 284 2431 263 95 258 107 266 86 416 249 385 2125 4556

Year Built 2000
Greens Bent
Golf Season Year round. High Season: March - November
Architect Mike Strantz (2000)

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in North Carolina (2016 #23)

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 29

This course does not deserve the poor ratings it has been getting. The greens rolled true and had good pace. Sure some tee boxes need work but who plays a course for nice tee boxes? One fairway had a wet area remaining from all of the rain. Besides that this course is in really good shape.

What a shame!

Used to be one of my favorite Mike Stranz courses. Have played many times and always loved the great layout but more importantly, the great conditioning of the course. However, conditions were much less than ideal when we played on 10/28/2018. Greens were decent, not good. Most fairways and tees have goose grass and crab grass in the turf. Green tees on hole 14 is nothing but dirt. All in all, for what used to be a premiere golf course which was always impeccably manicured, it seems to be going down hill, perhaps money problems. Will be taking this course off of our rotation until it returns to form. Heard it changed management companies which has hurt what once was a great track. What a shame!!!

Sad state of condition for a great design

Great layout with fantastic views.

Conditions were horrendous. Greens almost unplayable. Bare in areas. Extremely shaggy grass where there was grass. Areas around greens bare or weedy.

Some tee boxes abandoned with no grass. Best tee boxes were thin at best.

Fairways were the best of all areas. Playable but nowhere near pristine. Weeds present in various area.

Basically course needs major TLC. Looked to me like they are barely holding on to keep it open.

Too bad because the design was awesome and challenging.

Employees very polite and helpful. Saving grace was it was only $29 to ride on a Sunday afternoon. Of course, I quit after 13 holes due to 3 groups on the next hole waiting.

I stopped to play here because I had played Tobacco Road years ago and really enjoyed it. With quality conditioning, Tot Hill Farm would rival.

Mediocre Experience at Best

This was my first time playing Tot Hill Farm in 10-12 years. After the frustration that followed my first round, I swore never to come back, however a friend was in town from GA and his brother in law set up the tee time, so off I went.

We had a 9:10 tee time and I got to the course at roughly 8 am. Parked the car and went into the club house to check in, pay and get some range balls. The young lady working was very friendly and engaging, definitely the highlight of the staff experience. I paid for my round and asked for a bucket of range balls and she made the statement that I was getting basically the last bucket of balls. This really shocked me, how can you be out or almost out of range balls at 8 am?

She said something about how there had been a bunch of groups off already that morning and how everyone bought range balls, etc but still...its 8 am, you should have enough range balls on hand to get you through until at least lunch time.

After heading over to the range, sure enough, I heard others who arrived after me on the putting green complaining about how they were out of range balls, etc. This is completely inexcusable in my opinion and is nothing but laziness and lack of preparation on the courses part, which seemed to be a common theme as our round progressed.

The course was in pretty good shape, not perfect by a long shot, but better than average I guess. We had a discounted rate of roughly $45 and for the money I have played several courses in/around the Triad this year who were in better shape and more finely manicure. Many of the tee boxes hadnt been mowed in probably a week, crab grass all over the tees and in several fairways, bare spots/dirt on many greens, etc.

The greens were slow. I kept waiting for them to speed up as the temperatures increased and they dried out, but they never did. They rolled OK, but were very slow which was a disappointment.

The layout, as most everyone knows, its basically goofy golf in my opinion. The course is very visually appealing and very unique to what you will find basically any where with the big elevation changes, rock formations, creeks, rock bunkers, rocks here, rocks there and more rocks. There are several blind shots throughout the course and definitely a premium put on accuracy. Absolutely beautiful course design to look at, but can be very frustrating to the average golfer.

Biggest complaint about the round was the lack of attention to detail by the course management. The lack of range balls was nothing more than lack of preparation or someone caring. The temps were in the high 80's during our round, felt more like the mid 90's and yet there wasn't water in basically any of the coolers that we passed on the course., which again is completely inexcusable.

Until there is someone at this course who prioritizes the guest experience over everything else, this course will never regain the prestige that it had 10-15 years ago. There are only so many things in the golf course business that you can control, but you can most definitely control things like making sure you have range balls on a Holiday Monday and making sure there are water in all of the coolers. The speed/condition of the greens are forgivable, but to me the other stuff is not.

Hopefully someone there gets a clue and makes some changes, but I definitely won't be going back to find out.

Very nice

I have been playing this course since it was built and opened. I played late afternoon, 3:30ish, and enjoyed my round very much. The tees were okay, the grass was there just cut higher than I prefer. The fairways were very good. The greens were better than previous years. Pure grass, with a little rain and cut tight they will be perfect. The course is basically wide fairways for tee shots but you don't have any safety net after a couple feet of rough. The greens are fairly large but like the fairways don't offer very much safety net for wayward shots. This is a strantz course so it's built for beauty for the average golfer and challenge for the better golfers. If you can't control your ball you will lose plenty and struggle, so if you are below average but believe you still shoot low scores you will not enjoy this course. If you are honest with your game and expectations are appropriate, you will like this course very much.

Terrible

Payed $64 dollars to play the is awful course. The course was not over seeded. Fairways were matted and bare in several areas. Greens had divots in them in several spots at the turn I was charged $10.00 for two hot dogs and and a bottle of water. The hotdogs were made back in January the buns were made in December. The staff didn’t care the greens crew was hangin around inside the pro shop. So needless to say I WILL NOT BE BACK TO THIS DUMP!

AUgolferinPinehurst
Commented On 2018-03-20T01:16:20.000+00:00

No clue about your experience, but can say that most courses in our area have gone away from overseeding. That way during tourist season the bermuda has grown back in and is ready to go.

On The Road To Recovery

I absolutely love this course and love seeing it on the mend. The sedge is out of the greens and they had recently aerated and top dressed the greens when I played. Going around the course you can see all of the work being done to return this course to its former greatness.

Tot Hill is coming around nicely. The greens are improving every time I play here. I love this course and can't wait to see it get back to the level it deserves to be.

Fun Round

Tot Hill Farm is as interesting a course as I have ever played. The layout amongst the hills with unique features created a fantastic morning of golf. The greens were extremely soft (balls sinking on the green) is really the only negative. Beautiful and very challenging!

Overall the course was in really good shape. The greens had some sort of weed in them but they are working hard to get rid of them. This course is on the mend and will be great very soon!

Terrible greens

We drove almost 3 hours to get to this course. I read the reviews about crabgrass being on the greens but figured it couldn't be that bad. It was just that bad. the course layout is great but difficult. But the greens were very disappointing. The manager assured us that nature everything would be in great shape. If so I will try it again.

Don't Golf here

I guess my first red flag for me was while driving next to entrance and seeing the guys mowing at 12:30 in the day. We showed up there and we were the only people there. Course layout was okay. The greens were the worst greens I have ever played on. Crab grass everywhere on greens. You were playing Plinko when putting the ball on the green. The putting green was beat up and unusable. The course looked like it wasn't taken care of for a long time. Stay away!

Love It!

I have played many Mike Stanz courses. This is my favorite! Yes it is short but with all of the elevation changes, hazards and trees, it needs to be short. Visually stunning! Will play it again! Reviews from the past reflect bad conditions. That is very far from the truth on this visit. Great shape! Liked it better then, Tobacco Road or True Blue.

Challenging

This course is challenging to say the least. You have to be really on top of your game to even have a chance. The #1 handicap is the 17th hole that looks really easy at first glance compared to the other holes, until you get to your approach shot. If you miss just right, your're over the wall and OB. If you miss left, you're down the hill and probably in the hazard. Most of the other holes are similar... just with more rocks. The "clubhouse" isn't really a clubhouse and is similar to Red Bridge if you've played there. The course is is decent shape, but the bent greens do get burnt up in the summer.

Highly Challenging

I last played Tot Hill about two years ago and could not believe some of the recent negative comments by a few golfers... Obviously, they were not up to the challenge and took it out on the course... Dvery hole is s challenge... When people tell you that the course is in terrible shape, don't believe it... In two rounds today, I lost s dozen golf balls, but I am never going to blame the course... I love it!!!

Boston Advisor

Great layout but that's about it

I went in thinking that this was going to be an experience like Tobacco Road and that was my first mistake, playing here was the second. Though I enjoyed what Strantz did with this course, the condition was fair at best, the "pro shop" was nothing to write home about as far as merchandise, the food was like a bad food truck. If you're staying in Pinehurst this course is really not worth the hour drive. After 3-4 holes we thought about jumping in the car, driving back to Pinehurst and getting a tee time at someplace like Mid Pines or Dormie. What a shame that a cool layout like this is not being taken care off by the staff at Tot Hill. Being someone who has been around golf courses for a lot of my life, if I had to guess, I'd say this course is either going up for sale or closing, the $29 greens fee was the first hint about that. Oh, I almost forgot to tell you how fun it was to be playing behind a SIXSOME on a Sunday during a holiday weekend. Yay for a 5+ hour round, if you want to play good Stantz courses stick with Tobacco Road and Caladonia.

Challenging

Was wet with off an on showers. Greens were slow for me but in good shape. Course is beautiful but challenging. It's more about enjoying the course than my score.it was cart path so we got a lot of exercise but that's OK never hurts wi

Great course, fantastic views

Course was great, staff friendly, still working on getting their liquor license as they just took on new management so no beers this time.

Also, no longer affiliated with golf now, soooooo this shouldn't be here! They worked us in though.

This is NOT a golf course

If you like chasing your ball into the woods, having terrible lies off of great drives, or enjoy playing with boulders, rocks, and tall grass in the fairways, then this course is for you. The layout is artistic, I will admit, but it's not a golf course. I felt out of place wearing a polo and not camo hunting gear as the majority of the time you're in the woods transitioning from hole to hole. Moreover, the tips weren't even marked, there is no indication of distance, and overall quality of the fairways was well below average. In terms of the greens, bring your driver not a putter. They are the SLOWEST greens I have ever played. If you want to have fun and you don't care about your score, this is the course for you. But, if you're a decent golfer and enjoy the sport, don't taint your game by trying to play this course.

cberkebile
Commented On 2017-05-25T15:53:55.000+00:00

Course is challenging but if you have a single digit handicap it should be no problem scoring here should not be in the woods all time. We play here several times a year and enjoy the course we might loose a couple balls but it worth it.great scenery. Great condition man up or stay home

Randleman, North Carolina