Tot Hill Farm Golf Club

Year Built 2000
Golf Season Year round. High Season: March - November
Architect Mike Strantz (2000)

Snacks

Clubhouse

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in North Carolina (2016 #23)

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 29

Tricky course.

Fun course to play a few times a year - not one I could play every week. Very hilly, very scenic, and some interesting rock formations to add to your shot strategy. They seem to keep up the course well for a mountain course and the people there are always nice when I play there. Every should try it out -

Dramatic even for Strantz

If you are a fan of Mike Strantz (and most people love or hate his courses), than you will love this course. Even if you think Tobacco Road is too tricked up, this course is a must visit. The elevation changes off the tee box are dramatic as you fire your tee shot through a chute of trees to generous fairways that seem to funnel the ball into play. That isn’t to say it is without challenging shots, but it is forgiving where it needs to be. I honestly couldn’t get the smile off my face for the first several holes.

The Course condition was very good, no problems there. Really hard to believe you get this quality of a course at this value gets as little play as it does, likely due to the location. It is out there in farm country.

Tot Hill Farm

Must play if you have the chance. Pretty remote feeling since the drive in is all 2 lane highway. Very scenic course that is intimidating from the tee but actually has pretty wide fairways, I can't remember missing one all day, approach shots also funky, combination of semi-blind, and either uphill or downhill. Greens are tricked up as expected but I only three putted once. Conditions very nice all around, tees, plush fairways, greens rolling good and smooth, great experience. Can't wait to play more of his courses.

Must Play course

You will need to play this course 3-4 times to learn all the nuances. There are a lot of forced carries, a couple of unusual greens but, overall, one of the most challenging and unique course you will ever play. Thanks to Mike Strantz!

Tot Hill-Nice

Great course for the money. Good condition, beautiful views, fun layout. Better be hitting ur wedges well. Some crazy greens on a few holes, but so unique. Elevations changes and some blind tee shots made it extra challenging, but it was fun, cool rock and water features. Drove the wall, ended up 20 yds from the green. Beverage cart got us no less than 5 times through the rounds, hats off to her. Would have been 5 hour round if not for playing through several groups.

Very nice

Great course. Pin placements are very tough if you don’t hit it to the right level. Fairway were in great shape. Excellent landscape and scenery. Highly recommend

Sweet magnanimosity!!

Lovely round at Tot’s Hill today. Did I score my best? No. Did I try to sponge the scenery and diabolical layout of the master designer who is Mike Strantz? Oh, heck and mercy yeah!! I dare you to play Tot’s Hill. You’ll love it to the point of craving another round...if you play smart. And for crying out loud, don’t be shy or ashamed of taking several selfies on this wonderfully scenic course. Far to incredulous not to have pics to memorialize...until you can hurry back. :-)

No covid response

After arriving we were told by the starter and the young lady in the clubhouse that they did not follow recommendations by NC for social distancing. We were forced to pay for an additional cart and told that they spoke with the Governor and “he told us we don’t need to follow those guidelines”. We happily paid for the additional cart cost but were shocked by the response and lack of awareness and health concerns. The starter grabbed our bags, when we asked if we could handle our own bags or if he had gloves, he responded “I ain't got covid”. When we questioned the young lady inside about riding together she responded “ain't no one forcing you to be here”. I would not recommend this course due to their unprofessionalism and lack for public health.

Commented on 05/21/2020

@golfadvisor: take this review down. Has absolutely nothing to do with the course and is misleading to potential golfers

Commented on 05/15/2020

What does this have to do with the playability or conditioning of the actual golf course?

Tot Hill is one of the best tests of golf in the area. I had not played the course for over two years and it was pleasant to know it’s still the same course. The course condition was excellent and just as I remembered it.. This course requires every shot in the bag with the elevation change and undulating greens but is fair and rewards good shots. My advice is to play it and get an idea of the layout and return again for another rewarding experience. .

Course with Character

This is the second time I have played this course and I enjoyed the elevated tees and all of the par three's. Come to this course to have fun and not necessarily to score well unless you have mastered every club in your bag. You will never play another course like this so come and enjoy the experience.

Cart paths

I love the layout. Nice variety of holes. Some beautiful holes. Condition of course was not as good as expected after having played other courses by Mike Shrantz. Very patchy tees and fairways at times. It was cart paths only today—brutal. Would NOT RECOMMEND playing with cart paths only rule in effect.

As advertised— Very Strantz

Love Strantz Courses. The first time playing here I wouldn’t recommend trying to break any records. Have fun and try to to hit the high risk high reward shots that were designed to make your head spin. It’s like the Ripleys Believe it or Not Museum of golf courses. The greeter still the bag drop was a gem of a feelin. The pace of play was great. It was probably the first and last time I’d ever have to hit a flop shot off the green to get to the top tier where the pin was after I seen my partners all smash puts that ended up further behind them then when they initially hit them. If i has to be a critic about something the driving range your basically hitting off the side of a mountain so you can’t get your distances down but it wouldn’t be very Strants if they had a normal driving range. I hate to even knock it for that that’s about all I could come up with that didn’t really appease me.

Anonymous

Challenging design, but fun to play.

Tot Hill Farm is a challenging course. My partner and I got our butts kicked. Despite our high scores, we had an immense amount of fun. It's amazing how such a difficult slope results from just 6500 yards from the tips. The yardage book was really helpful for us, definitely recommend getting one if you haven't played here before. I think the most challenging aspect of the course is the non level lies that you tend to get, and the elevated greens are a beast to reach accurately. My personal favorite hole was #12. "The Old Dam Hole" Spectacular par 4, with a good drive, you only have 120ish yards into the green over the water. The par 3s are all spectacular as well. I must say that I really didn't like the last 2 holes. 17 is a wide open drive. I hit my best drive of the day, but the pin placement was ridiculous. Only a few places off the back at the most narrow section of the green. 18 hole is a par 5 up hill to a postage stamp green up against the main road and there is no logical place to hit the 2nd shot to lay up. Overall, A blast to play, and good value presuming high scores won't ruin your day.

TH looks great!

TH is in great shape and ready for summer play. Don’t miss your opportunity to play the best course in this area. Just do yourself a grand favor and play smart. Any negative reviews you see about TH layout are folks who don’t play smart. Be smart.

5 Hour Round...

Greens could use some work. The pin placement is very difficult. I have played municipal courses that are in better shape. Definalty not worth the money.

Anonymous
Birmingham Advisor

Strantz never disappoints. His designs may be polarizing, but if you get it... you just get it.

I was actually pleasantly surprised and Tot Hill Farm exceeded my expectations. I was a bit concerned with what I had read in recent reviews about the condition of the course. I did not find it to be the case. I thought the course was in good shape for December. There were some thin spots, but nothing dire. Greens were good, if a bit on the slower side.

The beginning of the round is one jaw-dropping hole after another. The first plays drastically downhill. Two is a blind second shot. The third is one of the most creative par-3 greens I’ve ever seen. Nos. 4 and 5 are back-to-back par 5s, with one playing partially-blindly uphill, and the other playing wildly downhill to yet another dreamy green complex. No. 6 is one of the most natural settings for a par 3 I’ve ever encountered.

The par 3s shine here, even though I never hit more than an 8-iron, and several were PWs. I was baffled by just scanning the sites and imagining Strantz being almost done roughing them in before saying, “Wait, let’s put a little tongue of green right over there - and make it pinnable.’” Some will leave you shaking your head in amazement.

There are dramatic elevation changes throughout, and you will play equally as much uphill as you do down. Nos. 10-16 is another memorable stretch of holes.

I liked Tot Hill as much as I did his other design at Tobacco Road. After playing both, I’m puzzled why Tot Hill doesn’t get the same publicity? I can only reason that it has to do with Tobacco Road being in the Sandhills, making it easy to pair with other acclaimed courses in the Pinehurst area. Still, we stayed in Southern Pines and drove the hour to Tot Hill. It is worth it.

North Carolina Advisor

Very Quirky Layout with Disappointing Conditions

I had pretty high expectations for Tot Hill and unfortunately the course disappointed. Conditions were pretty rough, with several patchy fairways, a general lack of mowing, and bumpy greens with ball and spike marks and small spots of crabgrass. The course is uniquely full of rocky walls and elevation changes, but you absolutely need course knowledge to succeed. There were also several demanding pin placements that made the round especially difficult. The clubhouse and amenities are just average at best, and while the value is decent from a pricing standpoint, Tot Hill's not a course I'd rush back to play.

OVERALL: 5.7/10

Randleman, North Carolina