Tot Hill Farm Golf Club

Year Built 2000
Golf Season Year round. High Season: March - November
Architect Mike Strantz (2000)

Snacks

Clubhouse

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in North Carolina (2016 #23)

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 29

Plan ahead ....... be ready for a few curve balls.

This is the 3rd Mike Strantz course I've played - Caledonia and Tobacco Road - are over the top / world class. This one fell short. But, because of the back 9, I would play again. No range balls, not much to purchase in the pro shop (reconditioned golf balls vs. new sleeves) and not enough riding carts (and they had 2 per cart, you DO NOT want to walk this course). Jimmy at the bag drop was a lil outta sorts - not sure of: tee times or the actual pin placement location - we had to figure that out on the fly. The women in the pro shop checking us in and running the snack bar were good. Shop the greens fee on Supreme golf, GolfNow or call the pro shop and come prepared. You'll enjoy the layout once you get past the start.

Terrible Staff makes for Terrible Review

This course is a challenging one. I went there knowing this was a challenging course. What made it more difficult was dealing with lazy staff. When I checked in for a 3:40pm t-time I was told that I had to have the cart back by 7:30 regardless where I was in my round. I figured it would be ok b/c I should be able to play 18 in 4 hours. Little did I know...
We began noticing there was a single player behind us so we let him T-off in front of us. He was very nice and a local person and gave us some instruction. After our t-shot we had to wait on him for our second shot. When we got to the second T we were waiting for him again. Then we noticed a 4-some two groups in front of him holding everything up. I called the clubhouse and asked for the Marshall to come out.

By the time I got to hole 9 I have not seen a Marshall and I was frustrated with the pace of play. When I go to the 10 t-box I am group #3 waiting to begin the back 9. I decide to leave and get a rain-check for the back 9. When I stop at the clubhouse at 5:55 the door is locked and no one will come to speak with me.

I WILL NEVER PLAY THIS COURSE AGAIN!!!

Must Play

Unique course that is ONE OF A KIND!! Ant golfer should play this at least once in their lifetime!!! You will be questioning why you play anywhere else!!!!!

Fantastic layout.

Tot Hill is a truly fun course. Great design, with some absolutely crazy greens. Like Tobacco Road, many shots are more visually intimidating than overly difficult. Fairways are quite wide. Greens were very slow because they are bent grass and some of the slopes on the greens are very steep. It is worth the drive to play there.

Tricky course.

Fun course to play a few times a year - not one I could play every week. Very hilly, very scenic, and some interesting rock formations to add to your shot strategy. They seem to keep up the course well for a mountain course and the people there are always nice when I play there. Every should try it out -

Dramatic even for Strantz

If you are a fan of Mike Strantz (and most people love or hate his courses), than you will love this course. Even if you think Tobacco Road is too tricked up, this course is a must visit. The elevation changes off the tee box are dramatic as you fire your tee shot through a chute of trees to generous fairways that seem to funnel the ball into play. That isn’t to say it is without challenging shots, but it is forgiving where it needs to be. I honestly couldn’t get the smile off my face for the first several holes.

The Course condition was very good, no problems there. Really hard to believe you get this quality of a course at this value gets as little play as it does, likely due to the location. It is out there in farm country.

Tot Hill Farm

Must play if you have the chance. Pretty remote feeling since the drive in is all 2 lane highway. Very scenic course that is intimidating from the tee but actually has pretty wide fairways, I can't remember missing one all day, approach shots also funky, combination of semi-blind, and either uphill or downhill. Greens are tricked up as expected but I only three putted once. Conditions very nice all around, tees, plush fairways, greens rolling good and smooth, great experience. Can't wait to play more of his courses.

Must Play course

You will need to play this course 3-4 times to learn all the nuances. There are a lot of forced carries, a couple of unusual greens but, overall, one of the most challenging and unique course you will ever play. Thanks to Mike Strantz!

Tot Hill-Nice

Great course for the money. Good condition, beautiful views, fun layout. Better be hitting ur wedges well. Some crazy greens on a few holes, but so unique. Elevations changes and some blind tee shots made it extra challenging, but it was fun, cool rock and water features. Drove the wall, ended up 20 yds from the green. Beverage cart got us no less than 5 times through the rounds, hats off to her. Would have been 5 hour round if not for playing through several groups.

Very nice

Great course. Pin placements are very tough if you don’t hit it to the right level. Fairway were in great shape. Excellent landscape and scenery. Highly recommend

Sweet magnanimosity!!

Lovely round at Tot’s Hill today. Did I score my best? No. Did I try to sponge the scenery and diabolical layout of the master designer who is Mike Strantz? Oh, heck and mercy yeah!! I dare you to play Tot’s Hill. You’ll love it to the point of craving another round...if you play smart. And for crying out loud, don’t be shy or ashamed of taking several selfies on this wonderfully scenic course. Far to incredulous not to have pics to memorialize...until you can hurry back. :-)

No covid response

After arriving we were told by the starter and the young lady in the clubhouse that they did not follow recommendations by NC for social distancing. We were forced to pay for an additional cart and told that they spoke with the Governor and “he told us we don’t need to follow those guidelines”. We happily paid for the additional cart cost but were shocked by the response and lack of awareness and health concerns. The starter grabbed our bags, when we asked if we could handle our own bags or if he had gloves, he responded “I ain't got covid”. When we questioned the young lady inside about riding together she responded “ain't no one forcing you to be here”. I would not recommend this course due to their unprofessionalism and lack for public health.

Commented on 05/21/2020

@golfadvisor: take this review down. Has absolutely nothing to do with the course and is misleading to potential golfers

Commented on 05/15/2020

What does this have to do with the playability or conditioning of the actual golf course?

Tot Hill is one of the best tests of golf in the area. I had not played the course for over two years and it was pleasant to know it’s still the same course. The course condition was excellent and just as I remembered it.. This course requires every shot in the bag with the elevation change and undulating greens but is fair and rewards good shots. My advice is to play it and get an idea of the layout and return again for another rewarding experience. .

Course with Character

This is the second time I have played this course and I enjoyed the elevated tees and all of the par three's. Come to this course to have fun and not necessarily to score well unless you have mastered every club in your bag. You will never play another course like this so come and enjoy the experience.

Cart paths

I love the layout. Nice variety of holes. Some beautiful holes. Condition of course was not as good as expected after having played other courses by Mike Shrantz. Very patchy tees and fairways at times. It was cart paths only today—brutal. Would NOT RECOMMEND playing with cart paths only rule in effect.

As advertised— Very Strantz

Love Strantz Courses. The first time playing here I wouldn’t recommend trying to break any records. Have fun and try to to hit the high risk high reward shots that were designed to make your head spin. It’s like the Ripleys Believe it or Not Museum of golf courses. The greeter still the bag drop was a gem of a feelin. The pace of play was great. It was probably the first and last time I’d ever have to hit a flop shot off the green to get to the top tier where the pin was after I seen my partners all smash puts that ended up further behind them then when they initially hit them. If i has to be a critic about something the driving range your basically hitting off the side of a mountain so you can’t get your distances down but it wouldn’t be very Strants if they had a normal driving range. I hate to even knock it for that that’s about all I could come up with that didn’t really appease me.

Randleman, North Carolina
Archdale, North Carolina
New London, North Carolina
Troy, North Carolina
Thomasville, North Carolina
Thomasville, North Carolina
Lexington, North Carolina

Valid dates: Jun 06, 2017 - Jun 30, 2020
Let The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee create unforgettable Georgia vacations with packages that deliver adventure-filled weekend getaways, unrivaled golf outings or romantic escapes with your significant other.